• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Chinner

Banned
I'd use it, but no one I know has it. Everyone I know uses telegram. Telegram needs more praise, it's pretty sweet actually.

What's up with all these shipment issues for phones? The Axon 7 still isn't in regular supply and I was looking to get a OP3, but sure enough it is pushed back to October.

Chorazin

I think if people actually use Allo and give it a chance, it'll be pretty popular. They need to sell the fuck out of it though, get adds on TV and across the web.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I actually wouldn't mind trying out a Moto Z Play, I don't really do any heavy gaming or anything else that would really strain out the lower end processor. That battery life is legit amazing, especially if you can get a free battery pack like Best Buy is doing.

I have an Axon 7 now and I am almost tempted to try and sell it and switch.

Heh, I've been trying for an Axon with no luck and people are already moving on from it.

Welp. My non techy girlfriend and sister both love Allo.

Guess who doesn't. All the other software developers I work with....

Hmm.

I'm annoyed there is no web app (yet) but the general population is clearly not going to give a shit.

That's the point of splitting Allo and Hangouts.

Quasar

Playing around with allo.

Really like Google assistant even in this beta state. Makes me even more hyped for Google Home.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Allo is fast. So much faster than Hangouts. I prefer it.

Noema

I think if people actually use Allo and give it a chance, it'll be pretty popular. They need to sell the fuck out of it though, get adds on TV and across the web.

The problem is that you don't choose your messaging app; your messaging app chooses you. In most countries Whatsapp, Line and Telegram are so entrenched that next to nothing would get them to change. I know for sure that no one ever will use Allo in my country other than the most fervent of Google fans. Whatsapp is so widely used that people no longer say "give me your number", they say "give me your whatsapp" .

The US is an interesting case since they haven't really settled on a successor to SMS. iPhone users use iMessage, of course, but there's no ubiquitous cross platform solution. Allo might have a shot at winning that market, something Hangouts failed to accomplish. Not beating iMessage, that ship sailed years ago, but as the fallback cross platform solution people default to.

Some dude in reddit was speculating that Google engineered Allo specifically for the nascent Indian market which as of 2016 has surpassed the US in terms of total smartphone users, thus the reason for the SMS relay feature, a majority of the population over there hasn't moved to smartphones yet. Who knows.

In other news, has anyone noticed that Spotify changed the look of their persistent notification / controls? It looks more in line with other Nougat notifications now, but also weirdly bland.

Screenshot_20160921_161250.png

Dobsie

So I've let Nougat settle in for a few days on my 6p, battery life is only marginally less than I was getting on MM, currently able to get 4.5 hours sot, was able to get around 5 hours on MM.
I think the Android OS/ System "drains" are other processes that have been grouped together under the OS/System name.

Heh, I've been trying for an Axon with no luck and people are already moving on from it.

That's the point of splitting Allo and Hangouts.

Not really... That's just the "initial" target market for Allo. You don't intentially split a userbase for a consumer facing message platform.

Hangouts is not going to be for geek like consumers, it is just going to be for business users.

Allo will get the missing features the geeks want. We are just not the initial target market since there are less of us.

Sacrifices always have to be made. When you remake software from scratch you cant get everything new and old out on day 1. It is just not realistic.

wilflare

So I've let Nougat settle in for a few days on my 6p, battery life is only marginally less than I was getting on MM, currently able to get 4.5 hours sot, was able to get around 5 hours on MM.
I think the Android OS/ System "drains" are other processes that have been grouped together under the OS/System name.

are you using any IMs and/or Chrome?

---
Allo is pretty fun. Google Assistant can be pretty hilarious

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Y'all actually have people using it? Lucky.
Yes and it's pretty great. The sms issues are real, yeah, but the messaging itself is good. People here cling onto sms fallback and that's understandable for them. It's not an issue for me.

akileese

Welp. My non techy girlfriend and sister both love Allo.

Guess who doesn't. All the other software developers I work with....

Hmm.

I'm annoyed there is no web app (yet) but the general population is clearly not going to give a shit.

Yep. This is my life. People I know that don't know the first thing about tech love it. Everyone I know who is either in IT or app development thinks it's lacking. I wouldn't say garbage, because it's not. It's a solid app with a lot of neat features, but it's not what a lot of people wanted it to be.

No Love

Banned
Allo is a piece of shit. Lmao SMS through Google server relays. Fuck all these messaging apps. Seriously why would I use this crap? Hangouts and Whatsapp doeverything I need. And Google Assistant, just another way for Google to spy on you and collect data.

Uninstall. This app is a waste of time.

Samsung is a big company and it's smart to hedge your bets when you're a big company which is wholly dependent on another big company to supply the operating system for your biggest consumer electronics division.

Thanks for proving my point. To say they actually care about Android is a joke.

Are any of their devices using Android anymore that aren't phones? I can't think of one.

battery life on my new Note 7 seems about the same as my old one.

and by about the same i mean fantastic.

2h SOT in a 8h work day with 65% left and 5h SOT in a 16h day with 15% left

how much more could it go with Power Saving on, AOD off and not being tethered to a Gear Fit 2?

Thanks for proving my point. To say they actually care about Android is a joke.

Are any of their devices using Android anymore that aren't phones? I can't think of one.
I mean, what do you define as "care" when it comes to Android? It seems like Android is simply a means to an end for any manufacturer that isn't Google.

how much more could it go with Power Saving on, AOD off and not being tethered to a Gear Fit 2?

The Gear Fit 2 won't do much to the battery. It's on Bluetooth LE so maybe like 5% for the whole day? Very negligible.

Anyway I am considering getting an LG V20 :X

wilflare

The 6p was waterproof?

my point wasn't about the lack of waterproof features.

---
and on Samsung - they definitely have great hardware but their software, despite all its improvements, leaves much to be desired.
- all the customization options seems to be lost with Samsung's variant
- not forgetting how they can be so lacking when it comes to software updates
- Samsung HQ really needs reconsider its approaches across countries and have some unified/standardisation systems of software updates and hardware releases

wilflare

it probably can do better
friend's Note7 did 11hr with 50% left and 5hr SOT

Top Bottom