• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Asgaro

Sony, what are you up to.

(I didn't proceed further since I don't want to participate)

ivCysof.png

thenexus6

will ask in a spanish forum if someone knows a solution, but i think it is a limitation of emui. It is a pitty really because the huawei phones are really solid.

Have you tried to set the media player you use (Google play music for example) as 'default' app for music? maybe that could work

Thanks I appreciate it. Just PM me if you find anything out.

RoKKeR

Nova Launcher is more hype than I thought. Swipe-up to show the dock is a neat feature.

The only thing I'm missing, when comparing to Action Launcher, is double-tap action on the Home button.

That's an awesome Live Wallpaper, where'd you find it?

I also fired up Nova Launcher for the first time since I had my One M7... the usability and polish of this thing has gotten so much better. It was good before but everything just feels very well put together, loving it. Forgot how good *swipe down from the middle of the screen for notifications* was. Is that something the Google Now launcher does? If so I must have completely missed it.

Any other suggestions, tips/tricks?

Edit: Bummed that double-tap (or any gesture) to lock makes it so you have to enter a PIN everytime... makes the fingerprint scanner useless and ultimately, the gesture isn't worth it. Too bad.

Edit 2: Maybe not? I just unlocked with only a fingerprint with the gesture enabled...

Quasar

Hopefully trying to figure out why it's so bad. Applying now, I have so many things to say about the camera software on the Xperias.

I really dont get why they make such excellent cameras but struggle with phone cameras. They should in theory be making the best phone cameras.

Asgaro

That's an awesome Live Wallpaper, where'd you find it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tyron.pixel

But there's a downside: this app overrides your double-tap on home screen behaviour. You can't disable this within the app.
And on top of that, the app shows fullscreen ads, and there isn't a paid ad-free version.
Gave a 3 star review.

--
If anyone knows a non-root-required way to override/force-disable double-tap actions of an app, let me know.

RoKKeR

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tyron.pixel

But there's a downside: this app overrides your double-tap on home screen behaviour. You can't disable this within the app.
And on top of that, the app shows fullscreen ads, and there isn't a paid ad-free version.
Gave a 3 star review.

--
If anyone knows a non-root-required way to override/force-disable double-tap actions of an app, let me know.

From the lockscreen, too? Damn, that's a deal breaker. That's pretty much the only way I know how to open my camera app lol

Asgaro

From the lockscreen, too? Damn, that's a deal breaker. That's pretty much the only way I know how to open my camera app lol

Yeah, it's shitty behaviour... I gave in because it looks too beautiful.
I now have my double-tap action assigned to 'swipe up on app drawer button'. It's something.gif

I don't know about behaviour in lockscreen. (And can't try atm since I use Smart Lock and don't want to disable it atm. Please do try.)

Futureman

are there any Nexus rumblings for this year?

I know there's the rumor that next year Google will start manufacturing their own phone (Ara), but I'm assuming that would not changed plans for a new Nexus line this Fall?

weren't there rumors last year that there was going to be no new Nexus but then we go the 5X and 6P?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
via Evleaks:

Evan Blass ‏@evleaks 40s seconds ago

OnePlus 3 basics: 5.5-inch 1080p, Snapdragon 820, 64GB storage, 16MP rear camera, NFC. SS from an N preview build.

CjOYwczUoAA2DWU.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Is there any reason I shouldn't update my Nexus 6P to the N beta???

Aside from Audible throwing some kind of missing library error (but working as normal), there's really nothing to complain about.

To be fair, I've been running N since the first release, I have a high tolerance for beta releases.

Hasney

Aside from Audible throwing some kind of missing library error (but working as normal), there's really nothing to complain about.

To be fair, I've been running N since the first release, I have a high tolerance for beta releases.

To add my woes, WWE Network doesn't play anything after the ratings either. Couldn't watch Extreme Rules at work, which was outrageous.

are there any Nexus rumblings for this year?

I know there's the rumor that next year Google will start manufacturing their own phone (Ara), but I'm assuming that would not changed plans for a new Nexus line this Fall?

weren't there rumors last year that there was going to be no new Nexus but then we go the 5X and 6P?

Two Nexus devices this year again -- except both made by HTC.

Futureman

I mean... good luck Samsung! Are the current Tizen watches successful at all? Do they play nice with Android? How does a current Tizen watch compare to an Android Wear watch?

this_guy

I mean... good luck Samsung! Are the current Tizen watches successful at all? Do they play nice with Android? How does a current Tizen watch compare to an Android Wear watch?

Do people really care about smartwatches? Pebble is one of the bigger names I hear but they're neither Android nor iOS.

As expeceted...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...is-the-future/

Google needs to get going on Nexus sales asap for when Samsung inevitably switches the Galaxy phone line to Tizen.

Faceless, im curious. Will you stay with Samsung when they drop Android or be open to other Android phones?
I guess this is why google is making their own nexus phones next year (assuming it all goes to plan). Time to let the OEMs do whatever and you focus on your platform.

Do people really care about smartwatches? Pebble is one of the bigger names I hear but they're neither Android nor iOS.
not many...I think android wear just reached 4 million. Apple watch reached 15 million. The latter only works with iphones so it's a smaller market so it's kind of impressive but all in all the market isn't on fire.

Asgaro

The only reason I care about smartwatches is because I like to run lol.
I have a Pebble Time but have everything regarding incoming notifications and calls disabled. Only use it to track stats while on the go.

Also backed https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800343142/tylt-vu-pulse-for-pebble-timetm/description which will allow heart rate monitoring and send it to the Pebble Health API.

And gonna back the Pebble Core that was announced today. It's essentially a small device that runs on Android 5.0 and developers can expand on it. It will allow to track your run and stream music without having your smartphone strapped on.

Noema

As expeceted...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ndroid-wear-watches-says-tizen-is-the-future/

Google needs to get going on Nexus sales asap for when Samsung inevitably switches the Galaxy phone line to Tizen.

Faceless, im curious. Will you stay with Samsung when they drop Android or be open to other Android phones?

Samsung will never drop android for Tizen on phones. The time for that has passed. They are too deeply entrenched in the ecosystem. And they've seen what happened to Windows Phone. Even MS with their infinite money couldn't overcome the app gap.

Samsung will never drop android for Tizen on phones. The time for that has passed. They are too deeply entrenched in the ecosystem. And they've seen what happened to Windows Phone. Even MS with their infinite money couldn't overcome the app gap.

I dont agree at all. They are greedier than they are smart.

In due time they will be a much bigger deal. They just need to all have cellular connections, better battery and performance. This is why fitbits stock has not done well. Everyone knows the tech in smart watches will finally mature one of these days.

All Android smart watches still have phone socs in them. Qualcomm is bringing much more efficient chips soon.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Holy shit my third straight nexus 5x has that yellow screen problem. I am in awe at LG's quality control. I give up.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I honestly don't even know what to do at this point. I don't think there's any point in playing the RMA roulette with Google anymore. I'm limited to what phones I can actually use because I'm in rural Kentucky and only really get coverage on CDMA networks (I currently use Ting). The $200 Nexus 5x deal was perfect. Ahhhhhhhhh

Fracas

#fuckonami
Well, can you show us? I'm curious

It doesn't come through very well in a picture, but yeah.

cQSOhGP.png

One on the left is the best looking display I've gotten (already boxed up and shipped the other two). My old iPhone 4S is on the right. It's not even a huge deal, just super annoying because I know it doesn't look how it's supposed to.

Jzero

It doesn't come through very well in a picture, but yeah.

One on the left is the best looking display I've gotten (already boxed up and shipped the other two). My old iPhone 4S is on the right. It's not even a huge deal, just super annoying because I know it doesn't look how it's supposed to.

I think that's just how the display usually looks. My 6P is also more yellow than my 6th gen iPod Touch

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think that's just how the display usually looks. My 6P is also more yellow than my 6th gen iPod Touch

Well it definitely looks infinitely better than the other two I've received (they were both straight up yellow). Maybe I'm just used to cooler screens. I really want to make this work, so I'll probably just end up keeping this one. Display aside, I like the phone itself.

Anyone else with a 5x?

Quasar

Too bad. I'd be happy to see Samsung leave.

Certainly it eliminates any thought of buying a Samsung watch.

I wonder what will happen once the standalone androidwear apps start flowing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My 5X is not as blue as that iPhone but it isn't as yellow as your 5X, either. If I only wanted to spend $200 on a phone, I'd get the 5X even with that display.

Just get a Robin.

kharma45

Too bad. I'd be happy to see Samsung leave.

Certainly it eliminates any thought of buying a Samsung watch.

I wonder what will happen once the standalone androidwear apps start flowing.

You want Android's biggest and best OEM to leave? Hahaha

Asgaro

Holy shit, the Pebble Core has so much potential!
ARE YOU FUCKIN' HYPE M8

They partially market it as merely a fitness gadget but it's so much more...
It's essentially a Raspberry Pi. Or like an Android smartphone with only the display missing.

Some bits from their AMA:

- Runs on Android 5.0. NOT Android Wear. NOT PebbleOS like their smartwatches
- BT
- Wi-Fi
- 3G GSM (Can use a data-only SIM if you want)
- Do NOT need a Pebble smartwatch to use it
- Can run Pebble apps (PBW files)
- Can sideload Android APKs over Wi-Fi or 3G
-
Apps will be available on all Pebble Core devices. And any Pebble Core can be used for development.
The apps are written in JavaScript and run on Core, they can also interact with a Pebble watch if one is paired. Because Core does not have a screen, you can use your phone to configure the apps, for example to log into a smart home service.
It is an Android device, and so it runs Linux. Extremely motivated developers will be able to also write apps that run directly in the system but we will not be providing an SDK for that.
- Input: 2 buttons. Can enable/disable input with a toggle
- Wireless charging
- A-GPS
- Audio jack. Usable as USB connection.
- Can hang it on your keychain. When your keychain gets lost, you can track it since it has a GPS tracker
- Rain/splash proof
- up to 9 hours of location tracking and offline music
- 4 GB disk space (Wonder how much will actually be available to the user though...)
-
There are 2 buttons on Pebble Core, and a slider switch that locks the input. Not sure about Miracast, but you'll be able to ADB into the device and run a VNC server.
-
You will not be able to draw power out of the headphone jack. If you want to connect an LCD that would be through the extension port on the back.
-
With voice calling - am I limited to VoIP-based, or can I make a GSM voice call with the 3G module?

There is no built-in voice calling on Pebble Core (just the emergency SMS feature listed on the KS page). Devs can create voip apps for sure!
- Spotify streaming as well as offline access. (Google Play Music and other services not yet announced)
-
Yes it is an amazing device for developers and hackers!
Like all Pebble product it will be pretty open and you will be able to integrate at different levels: apps written in JS, directly writing APKs for the Android system or even hack the Linux system directly.
The hardware expansion port is basically pads on the PCBs around the SIM-card holder. We will share more details about what is possible in the next few weeks when we also share more details about Core development. Stay tuned and subscribe to our developer newsletter!

7s9HtuS.gif

You want Android's biggest and best OEM to leave? Hahaha

Hell yes. The other OEMs could finally be profitable and we would see some better products. Samsung on the other had would suffer significantly.

It is going to happen. It can't be that far off. Especially since they are doing better this year. Samsung has been just a confusing mess for Android users anyway. We don't need to go there again though.

Hell yes. The other OEMs could finally be profitable and we would see some better products. Samsung on the other had would suffer significantly.

It is going to happen. It can't be that far off. Especially since they are doing better this year.
samsung will definitely sink but I don't think it will make anyone else better. Literally all the major OEMs are sinking for the most part. Some ranging from extremely sinking to slowly but surely. Mostly the former.

samsung will definitely sink but I don't think it will make anyone else better. Literally all the major OEMs are sinking for the most part. Some ranging from extremely sinking to slowly but surely. Mostly the former.

No way. People won't want to give up the playstore and the 1st party Google apps. They will switch to other phones. There are a lot of people invested in Google's ecosystem that don't want iPhones.

Top Bottom