• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jigolo

Just turned on my N10 for the first time in a bit. chrome hiding url works on my n10 now too.

One of the reason I hate Android devices. I can't use the entire fucking screen. Let me hide the URL and the software keys while using chrome, damnit

EDIT: Wow the difference is massive.

normal

BUFbXQz.png

No soft keys

h5GoMdU.png

no soft keys + no notification bar

nnhvT5X.png

Noema

Feels so good being back on Marshmallow with my Custom Kernel and CPU Governor.

Like wearing an old ragged pair of jeans.

Just turned on my N10 for the first time in a bit. chrome hiding url works on my n10 now too.

One of the reason I hate Android devices. I can't use the entire fucking screen. Let me hide the URL and the software keys while using chrome, damnit

normal

BUFbXQz.png

No soft keys

h5GoMdU.png

nnhvT5X.png

Using Mobile GAF on a tablet sized screen is just ridiculous. Just use the desktop site for fuck's sake.

kami_sama

I must say that the new Moto X's design has grown on me. And the modules could bring some good things. The edges I don't like. Shame it's a lenovo phone.

Also I already said it a lot of times. The new OP looks too much like a HTC phone. But I like the curved back and front.

Asgaro

I frequently read reports about Nexus devices having shitty battery life.
Why is that? Considering it's stock Android and Google has a say in the hardware.
I wouldn't expect Apple style optimization, but still, I would expect well above-average performance.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why is that? Considering it's stock Android and Google has a say in the hardware.
I wouldn't expect Apple style optimization, but still, I would expect well above-average performance.
Still not built from the ground up like Apple does. I guess. There's really no true excuse, particularly when it's Google Services that cripples battery.

I can only assume because it's really a one size fits all system, regardless of the company they all use the base software that Google supply so it cannot be too specific to their own hardware. Apple on the other hand don't have that many variations on the hardware the software is aimed at probably making it easier to optimize.

Pyrokai

Opted the beta yesterday. Opted out today. Had to factory reset my 6P. I liked N but too many apps I use daily didn't launch in N.

Also, I always turned on sRGB color settings or whatever (maybe I turned it off? I don't remember) but now I have to enter developer mode again to switch that. Seriously, why is the default color on the 6P so horrible? It's like I'm looking at bleeding neon lights for everything. Looks awful.

Nicktendo86

I must say that the new Moto X's design has grown on me. And the modules could bring some good things. The edges I don't like. Shame it's a lenovo phone.

Also I already said it a lot of times. The new OP looks too much like a HTC phone. But I like the curved back and front.

Hate, hate, hate the moto z. Selling a phone with a pathetically small battery for a quad HD screen and no stereo speakers in order to sell you separate addons to get those features which should be standard is such a shitty thing to do.

Can't wait for my contract to be up next year to I cn go back to nexus. I mean my style I a great phone but Motorola are so fucking slow with updates now, and Lenovo can fuck off.

Just noticed that the Moto G4 doesn't come with NFC. Seems a pretty poor choice of thing to omit when cutting costs, what with Google and many banks now stepping up to Android Pay here in the UK

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
New ZTE Axon 7 announced :

ZTE has unveiled a new handset, the Axon 7, as well as a VR headset. The company is looking to engage in the growing VR market and combine it with a smartphone experience. To be priced below $500, this new phone will be affordable yet pack a punch going up against premium options from competitors. As an added bonus, it will be among the first to support Google's Daydream platform.

The company has even gone as far as working with BMW Group's Designworks to collaborate on the design, which features a dedicated AKM HiFi audio chipset, dual front-facing speakers and an amplifier chip. There's the option to throw in a second SIM, it'll be banded to work on all U.S. networks and will be covered by Axon Passport 2.0 — a free 2-year warranty plan covering "drops, dings and busted screens."

Some more specifications:
Display 5.5-inch WQHD AMOLED display
CPU Snapdragon 820 2.15GHz
Cameras 20MP main with OIS F1.8
8MP front-facing
Battery 3250mAh with Quick Charge 3.0
Memory 4GB / 6GB RAM
Storage 64GB / 128GB internal storage
Features NFC, Fingerprint 3.0, Force Touch
Dimensions 151.7 x 75 x 7.9mm

seems alright

Edit: Samsung-made AMOLED display, dual front facing speakers, OIS camera, shitload of LTE bands

normal

http://i.imgur.com/BUFbXQz.png

No soft keys

http://i.imgur.com/h5GoMdU.png

http://i.imgur.com/nnhvT5X.png

IMAGINE HOW MUCH MORE YOU COULD SEE IN PORTRAIT MODE!!!

AndyD

aka andydumi
This looks pretty. I didn't think Lenovo would turn Motorola's flagship into a Galaxy competitor.

I don't know what Ashton Kutcher has in mind with this Moto Z, but it looks more like a luxury item than the democratization of technology the Moto X strived for.

Also: This trend of add-ons is weird. No one likes carrying extra stuff around.

I think it's not a day to day thing. You might snap in the camera for the day when you are going to a sightseeing spot. Or you might snap in the extra battery for the day if you are going for a long hike or to a sports event. I don't see these as snap in and out every few minutes, but "on for the day" type things just like the LG ones.

Quasar

I think it's not a day to day thing. You might snap in the camera for the day when you are going to a sightseeing spot. Or you might snap in the extra battery for the day if you are going for a long hike or to a sports event. I don't see these as snap in and out every few minutes, but "on for the day" type things just like the LG ones.

Or for special tasks. Certainly I love the idea or a glucose meter addon talked about at IO. And the science lab app makes we want to add a bunch of sensors to an ara phone to create a tricorder. Wonder when we'll see a breathaliser module..

The ZTE Axon 7 looks really impressive for the $450 64GB/4GB option. Pretty much top of the line specs for a really good price with the only detrimental thing being the possible lack of updates. Depending on the pricing on the OnePlus 3 I'd have to wonder why somebody would purchase one over this thing since ZTE also includes their "Passport" accidental warranty for two years.

*Edit* Not to mention the fact the ZTE has a MicroSD slot, Dual Speakers, and a slightly larger battery.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I don't know if this has been shared before, but this is a really good post showing how someone uses their Android phone to its full potential. It's almost overkill from some aspects, but still, it gave me some app/Tasker ideas to try, particularly the whole Bluetooth disconnect thing.

What are your favorite apps/usability tips for Android?

Not sure what to do about the G4 plus now. I was All for it until the price of £230 for 32gb/2gb came about. It seems excessive given that it's not 3gb of ram, plastic body and no NFC.

I might wait for One+3 and see what price is like there? I imagine it will be around £250, but it seems like a good jump in specs? What are one plus like in terms of android updates and honouring warranties etc?

kharma45

Not sure what to do about the G4 plus now. I was All for it until the price of £230 for 32gb/2gb came about. It seems excessive given that it's not 3gb of ram, plastic body and no NFC.

I might wait for One+3 and see what price is like there? I imagine it will be around £250, but it seems like a good jump in specs? What are one plus like in terms of android updates and honouring warranties etc?

Shit and shit. Don't buy a phone from them and expect any kind of service.

The Moto G4 also seems to have overheating issues too.

Shit and shit. Don't buy a phone from them and expect any kind of service.

The Moto G4 also seems to have overheating issues too.

Overheating? Have you got a link or anything, is be interested in reading up on it?

Genuinely don't know what to do now.
I basically want the G4plus and everything it brings with a better price, and no overheating.

Asgaro

I don't know if this has been shared before, but this is a really good post showing how someone uses their Android phone to its full potential. It's almost overkill from some aspects, but still, it gave me some app/Tasker ideas to try, particularly the whole Bluetooth disconnect thing.

What are your favorite apps/usability tips for Android?

- Car Mode: adjust volume, adjust brightness, disable Wi-Fi, start Spotify, start Waze, start Road Vikings.
Gets triggered when I turn on BT and BT connects to my Pioneer MVH-X380BT.

MVH-X380BT.jpg

- Running Mode: enable BT, start RunKeeper, adjust volume.
Gets triggered when I turn on BT and BT connects to my Pebble Time.

I currently use Cerberus to trigger both these tasks.

But there are better automation apps for this. I just haven't gotten around to trying more. I have bookmarked them when I encountered them.
List:
automation%20list.PNG

I also tried Tasker few days ago, since I saw an interesting use: http://www.androidauthority.com/real-time-battery-drain-warning-tasker-646317/

Screen from article:
Tasker-BatteryDrainAlarm-detailed-warning.png

The guide explains how to show the first sentence "Battery discharged ... seconds". I can say it works!

But regarding the second sentence in the above image, about how long your battery will last: someone in the comments tried to figure out, but for me it didn't work.

I also modified it a bit within Tasker, so I also get a notification instead of only a short flash message like in the image.

this_guy

The new ZTE Axon 7 has nice specs for the price, but the problem is in about a month or two you'll probably be able to find LG G5s and HTC 10s for about the same price if you look around online. And LG and HTC do support and update their flagships.

thenexus6

Since when have you been unable to chromecast from chrome beta? I loved using that, but the chromecast button is completely gone now.

The new ZTE Axon 7 has nice specs for the price, but the problem is in about a month or two you'll probably be able to find LG G5s and HTC 10s for about the same price if you look around online. And LG and HTC do support and update their flagships.
Their last "flagship" level device the ZTE Axon Pro got regular security updates and it received Marshmallow back in February which was pretty quick compared to other manufacturers.

Still not built from the ground up like Apple does. I guess. There's really no true excuse, particularly when it's Google Services that cripples battery.

Last year's Nexus devices were crippled by Qualcomm more than Google services.

Case in point the HTC 10 has pretty damn good battery life.

Calabi

I'm doing well with the Pixel C, got the replacement for the one that was rebooting after the May update. This new one I got today. I did the April update and that completely bricked the Pixel C. It rebooted came up with an image of a dead android saying error then rebooted again saying no command. I spoke to a tech guy they helped me try some recovery options which did nothing whatsoever. How does this even happen. Not sure I want to risk getting another one, I hope they dont blame me for it somehow.

Talon

You're right.. if all those Samsung users switch to iPhone... You are also right that the conversion rate is still high as well. They certainly wont go to Samsung as soon as they learn zero google apps are on those phones (and mounds of other popular apps). I think 2016 its going to be a very telling year for Apple and Google.

Apple is most likely going to release a boring iPhone this fall based on leaks which may get a lot of the tech crowd to switch. It also looks to be doing a 16GB entry level and a no headphone jack which could piss a lot of people off. Google's new hardware division needs to push HARD this fall with the Nexus line if they want to grab any of those users and change the momentum at all. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...dent-rejoins-google-to-run-hardware-division/

I think this will be the biggest selling year for Nexus phones as long as the reviews are good. The 5x and 6p were not perfect but they killed it online with popularity. I have never seen Nexus devices so well known.

Also, Project Fi is also a wild card for Nexus sales. Every time I talk to people about Fi they are extremely interested. Some of them have even switched. If Fi gains any traction, Android gains traction.
You're smoking some great shit.

The majority of the market doesn't turnover based on a single hardware cycle.

Nexus as a big thing just won't happen. Carriers have too much weight and people don't switch phones on a 12-month basis unless you're a nerd that posts in a thread about cell phone operating systems on a video game forum.

Pyro, take him to church.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's every year people say that Nexus will make some changes. Never happen!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm doing well with the Pixel C, got the replacement for the one that was rebooting after the May update. This new one I got today. I did the April update and that completely bricked the Pixel C. It rebooted came up with an image of a dead android saying error then rebooted again saying no command. I spoke to a tech guy they helped me try some recovery options which did nothing whatsoever. How does this even happen. Not sure I want to risk getting another one, I hope they dont blame me for it somehow.

But GAF told me Pixel C was perfect

Top Bottom