• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

No way. People won't want to give up the playstore and the 1st party Google apps. They will switch to other phones. There are a lot of people invested in Google's ecosystem that don't want iPhones.
well considering every year the android to iphone switchers percentage keeps growing I don't know how big those people are. The vast majority of android owners don't own android because it's android and they're invested in the platform. Most of them don't even know what it is. When I worked tech support it was like "I have the samsung! the samsung" when asked what version of android they're running.

People get it because there's a shitton of them everywhere for cheap. The ones that will stick around are the ones who don't even care about android, the ones leaving are the ones that know enough to not want to stay. There's numbers showing that this is the trend. Chinese companies making random phones is the future.

Embrace it!

well considering every year the android to iphone switchers percentage keeps growing I don't know how big those people are. The vast majority of android owners don't own android because it's android and they're invested in the platform. Most of them don't even know what it is. When I worked tech support it was like "I have the samsung! the samsung" when asked what version of android they're running.

People get it because there's a shitton of them everywhere for cheap. The ones that will stick around are the ones who don't even care about android, the ones leaving are the ones that know enough to not want to stay. There's numbers showing that this is the trend. Chinese companies making random phones is the future.

Embrace it!

I so agree with what you said. Other than online ( and one instance in real life) I have yet to meet person who gives a shit about system they are running. They just take picture and phone runs that is all they care about at least once I have met. The girl in my department did not know which samsung phone she had ( S5 , s6 or S7) . She got it from her mom and that is all she knew about it.

I would love it if samsung put their software in really high end package. I do not care about apps so I would be fine. Great battery life plus good camera is what I need always.

There is one person that is actually nerd that I met while ago. He bought asus zenphone 2. He was angry about the skin asus was using he kept complaining there is extra apps here. I asked him does phone work fine he said yet but it is not pure google. He ended up putting cyanogenmod and now his phone crashes. He blames asus for that lol. Phone was working fine from OEM but he twiked the hell out of it and now he is angry at phone maker.

Embrace it!

You're right.. if all those Samsung users switch to iPhone... You are also right that the conversion rate is still high as well. They certainly wont go to Samsung as soon as they learn zero google apps are on those phones (and mounds of other popular apps). I think 2016 its going to be a very telling year for Apple and Google.

Apple is most likely going to release a boring iPhone this fall based on leaks which may get a lot of the tech crowd to switch. It also looks to be doing a 16GB entry level and a no headphone jack which could piss a lot of people off. Google's new hardware division needs to push HARD this fall with the Nexus line if they want to grab any of those users and change the momentum at all. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...dent-rejoins-google-to-run-hardware-division/

I think this will be the biggest selling year for Nexus phones as long as the reviews are good. The 5x and 6p were not perfect but they killed it online with popularity. I have never seen Nexus devices so well known.

Also, Project Fi is also a wild card for Nexus sales. Every time I talk to people about Fi they are extremely interested. Some of them have even switched. If Fi gains any traction, Android gains traction.

Husker86

Embrace it!

But the iPhone has Google apps. You think Google will put YouTube on Tizen? Samsung can't even make their own because we saw how well that worked for Microsoft.

terrier

Embrace it!

The same way people do not know they are using iOS, they have an iphone yay! My social life is better now!!

As for wearables.... they aren't mainstream so no dominant os yet. In fact it seems easier to have custom OS here as , in the end , what you usually neeed is an app to sync.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I imagine that for most people, they either want an iPhone or a cheaper phone.

Ty4on

Isn't a well calibrated white screen should look a bit yellowish, like a piece of paper?

The standard for whites is 6500K so a little bluer than a xenon flash which is around 5500K. It'll look blue inside though because interior lights are 2700-3000K.

Asgaro

Regarding SamDung forcing Tizen:

People seem to forget Samsung already tried this their-own-OS thinghy.

Look up Samsung Bada, people! They just abandonded it eventually.

I was using a Bada until June last year and will never be an early adopter again. I wish those who do... all the best of luck. You will need it. ;)

edit: Just think about it. They have now even way less chance to succeed than back in the days with Bada. Android has become so dominant in the meantime they can no way fill in the app gap.

samsung will definitely sink but I don't think it will make anyone else better. Literally all the major OEMs are sinking for the most part. Some ranging from extremely sinking to slowly but surely. Mostly the former.

Sure the market is reaching saturation point and growth will slow down, but looking at the latest numbers, not all vendors are sinking. OEMS like Huawei and OPPO are in fact doing quite well.

gsmarena_001.png

Samsung doesn’t seem to be doing too bad either. In fact, if anybody’s sinking hard, it’s Apple with a 16% YOY drop lol

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/27/iphone-15-percent-market-share/

well considering every year the android to iphone switchers percentage keeps growing I don't know how big those people are.

What are you basing this on? Android users switching to iphones seems like a load of bollocks to me when looking at various numbers. If anything, it’s the other way around. I’ve looked at various sources, but not a single one seems to corroborate your story.

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3323017

http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/11/android-is-eating-apples-ios-market-share-everywhere/

http://phandroid.com/2016/05/12/android-q1-market-share/

Hell, even in its US stronghold, Apple is losing marketshare to Samsung?

http://9to5mac.com/2016/05/04/apple-samsung-smartphone-market/

Regarding SamDung forcing Tizen:

People seem to forget Samsung already tried this their-own-OS thinghy.

Look up Samsung Bada, people! They just abandonded it eventually.

I was using a Bada until June last year and will never be an early adopter again. I wish those who do... all the best of luck. You will need it. ;)

edit: Just think about it. They have now even way less chance to succeed than back in the days with Bada. Android has become so dominant in the meantime they can no way fill in the app gap.

Bada became tizen. Tizen phones are doing well in india. I posted comparison video while bck and it was very competitive with android of similar spec. They can't and won't switch to tizen completely for phones that wpuld be foolish at this point in future it is in their best interest to keep developing.

Samsung gear s2 was better thought out product than any other smart watch at that time. I hopeing they will continue.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Samsung will reportedly skip over Note 6 and unveil the Galaxy Note 7 in August

While it has an obvious historical explanation, Samsung’s dual-brand flagship release strategy can get awfully confusing for folks not quite familiar with the experimental nature of early Galaxy Note generations.

Of course, there’s nothing nichey about these beloved S Pen-wielding phablets anymore, and last year’s Note 5 regional exclusivity proved the popularity of the Galaxy S lineup is in danger of being surpassed or at least matched.

Hence, it makes perfect sense for Samsung to cancel any plans it had regarding an S7 Edge+, and once again go wide with a new Note. But surprise, surprise, this might not be christened Galaxy Note 6 or Note 6 Edge after all.

Instead, “multiple representatives of the telecommunication industry” told the generally reliable folks over at ET News that Galaxy Note 7 branding has been chosen for the sequel to the Note 5. Not necessarily because we’re looking at a massive upgrade here, but first and foremost in a bid to “maximize the marketability” of the next-gen jumbo-sized powerhouse, and bring it on the same level as the Galaxy S7 in terms of user perception.

No more wondering whether perhaps the GNote 5 is one step behind the S6, as the name should fit the premium build and ultra-high-end specifications of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, due out this early to mid-August, both according to ET News and other at least equally reliable sources.

Today’s report also clarifies how recently rumored prototype testing wrapped up, with a dual-edged model purportedly selected as the single final Note 7 configuration.
It remains to be seen if it’s going to be dubbed Galaxy Note 7 Edge, which doesn’t sound very plausible from a simplicity standpoint.

http://english.etnews.com/20160525200003

this_guy

No way. People won't want to give up the playstore and the 1st party Google apps. They will switch to other phones. There are a lot of people invested in Google's ecosystem that don't want iPhones.

That's why Samsung would never leave. They tried Tizen on their cheap phones already.

Asgaro

Anyone that disabled Google Maps?

I'm all in on Waze and don't use Maps anymore. Also noticed using Wakelock Detector that Maps is my top app that requests location updates through Google Play Services.

Will the OS or apps misbehave when I disable it?

No Love

Banned
Anyone that disabled Google Maps?

I'm all in on Waze and don't use Maps anymore. Also noticed using Wakelock Detector that Maps is my top app that requests location updates through Google Play Services.

Will the OS or apps misbehave when I disable it?

No, it'll be fine.

I still use Maps because looking at maps/geography/etc with Waze sucks. Waze is great for getting there, Maps is great for looking at a MAP and/or getting lots of details about surrounding area, buildings, etc.

Asgaro

No, it'll be fine.

I still use Maps because looking at maps/geography/etc with Waze sucks. Waze is great for getting there, Maps is great for looking at a MAP and/or getting lots of details about surrounding area, buildings, etc.

Thanks.
I remember disabling Google Chrome and Google App made my device a lot smoother and consume less. Could be placebo effect but I read similar reports online.
Hope with Maps it has the same improvements.

Ah now that I think about it: I actually had a use case for Maps yes :/
While bicycling or on foot, you can choose that type of transport. Can't do that in Waze...

AndyD

aka andydumi
No, it'll be fine.

Good to know. I still like Maps' live timing for alternate routes though. And new Waze needs to hurry up and bring themes back.

clav

I thought Waze traffic was integrated into Google Maps or did Google not bothering integrating the company?

Chorazin

I thought Waze traffic was integrated into Google Maps or did Google not bothering integrating the company?

It is, I see "Generated by Waze" in regular maps all the time.

Waze is so buggy for me. The first time I installed it, didn't show the map. Next time I installed it, no turn by turn directions. I just gave up.

yyzjohn

Banned
Did Google give any time frame for N release during I/O? I assume the new phone will be out the same time as N, August/Sept?

clav

It is, I see "Generated by Waze" in regular maps all the time.

Waze is so buggy for me. The first time I installed it, didn't show the map. Next time I installed it, no turn by turn directions. I just gave up.

I remember Waze on Windows Mobile 6.x.

Looks like nothing has changed.

Priz

Ordered the Carbon Gray HTC 10 from htc.com with $100 off coupon back on the 18th. Earlier this week it changed from more stock coming soon to "Backordered. Starts shipping in early June." Yesterday it changed all day to "In Stock" but I never received a shipping e-mail/tracking #... today it's back to "Backordered. Starts shipping in early June."

Wonder if it was an error or if they really did have stock yesterday and just sold out...
(I just want them to ship my phone... lol could ask them to change it to the metal look but I like that dark carbon one more...)

EDIT: w00p! Tracking number e-mail. Should arrive tomorrow.

Famassu

Ok, so I found the fitness app that I was looking for (it's called CardioTrainer). Now all I need is some kind of good, free cataloging app for my collections.

Sure the market is reaching saturation point and growth will slow down, but looking at the latest numbers, not all vendors are sinking. OEMS like Huawei and OPPO are in fact doing quite well.
I agree they're doing well, that's why I said the other chinese companies will take over but the samsungs/LG/Sony/Motos/HTC/etc of world are not here to stay.

Well samsung might be because they make so much money outside of mobile that they can fund failing flagships forever. That's the real problem. All the profit is in the high end and the high end phones are all bombing hardcore because for people high end = iphone. Not that it's a bad thing for consumers, I always thought the best android phones were the ones of good quality and more affordable price. Nexus 5 still the best phone outside of shitty battery.

edit: I'm surprised it took samsung this long to align the note numbering to the galaxy s numbering. makes sense.

I agree they're doing well, that's why I said the other chinese companies will take over but the samsungs/LG/Sony/Motos/HTC/etc of world are not here to stay.

Well samsung might be because they make so much money outside of mobile that they can fund failing flagships forever. That's the real problem. All the profit is in the high end and the high end phones are all bombing hardcore because for people high end = iphone. Not that it's a bad thing for consumers, I always thought the best android phones were the ones of good quality and more affordable price. Nexus 5 still the best phone outside of shitty battery.

edit: I'm surprised it took samsung this long to align the note numbering to the galaxy s numbering. makes sense.

People don't think Apple is the only high end when they are dropping 700-800 US dollars on a Samsung. The s7 edge is selling very well in the US.

People don't think Apple is the only high end when they are dropping 700-800 US dollars on a Samsung. The s7 edge is selling very well in the US.
but below the s6 which was below the s5 etc...

Also I'm in a position to know that samsung has been constantly funding their own sales and price drops since the s7 launched and the only reason an OEM ever does that is to boost opening numbers because they're way lower than expected. So samsung is paying carriers to give that stuff away at lower prices.

I wonder if oneplus will update the oneplus X. I still think that's their most promising phone. Too bad they treat it as the lesser device.

but below the s6 which was below the s5 etc...

Also I'm in a position to know that samsung has been constantly funding their own sales and price drops since the s7 launched and the only reason an OEM ever does that is to boost opening numbers because they're way lower than expected. So samsung is paying carriers to give that stuff away at lower prices.

I wonder if oneplus will update the oneplus X. I still think that's their most promising phone. Too bad they treat it as the lesser device.

Since when was the S7 selling lower than the S6? http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/27/samsung-electronics-q1-profit-up-on-strong-galaxy-s7-sales.html

Last year was all doom and gloom with the S6.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I used my yellowish Nexus 5x outdoors a lot today and weirdly enough, it seems to have balanced out the screen a hair. Still not as cold as I'd like it, but not nearly as distracting anymore.

Had a lot of fun setting it up with Ting - apparently having the N preview installed messed with activation. Spent a couple hours troubleshooting with support until it dawned on me. Everything's working now. I really like this phone.

Noema

Just rolled back to 6.0.1.

I really really like N. I love the new notifications, both in terms of information density and functionality. Dual window works really well. Being able to change DPI on the fly rocks. And there's a ton of little things here and there at are great.

It's just a little bit undercooked for me at the moment. Can't wait for preview 4.

Just rolled back to 6.0.1.

I really really like N. I love the new notifications, both in terms of information density and functionality. Dual window works really well. Being able to change DPI on the fly rocks. And there's a ton of little things here and there at are great.

It's just a little bit undercooked for me at the moment. Can't wait for preview 4.

Pixel C?

I left mine on M but have my 5x on N. Loving it except battery could be better and it seems like every TV streaming app besides netflix and hulu is broken.

We all know pyro has left Android for the foreseeable future even though the 2016 Nexus phones are going to be better than the iPhone 7 this fall ;)

Yes edge had a shortage last year and looks like the edge is doing higher numbers than the regular 7 this year.

Fatalah

We all know pyro has left Android for the foreseeable future even though the 2016 Nexus phones are going to be better than the iPhone 7 this fall ;)

Yes edge had a shortage last year and looks like the edge is doing higher numbers than the regular 7 this year.

HTC + Google make magic together! Can't wait.

Fatalah

The Moto X modular covers courtesy of Evleaks. Looks like a camera mod, kickstand, and battery cover.

verizon_moto_z_droid_leak.jpg

This looks pretty. I didn't think Lenovo would turn Motorola's flagship into a Galaxy competitor.

I don't know what Ashton Kutcher has in mind with this Moto Z, but it looks more like a luxury item than the democratization of technology the Moto X strived for.

Also: This trend of add-ons is weird. No one likes carrying extra stuff around.

Top Bottom