• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Like I'm playing around with a moto z play I borrowed from work and am actually a little pissed off at how well it runs compare to the pixel I bought lol.

Like I'm finding pretty much zero difference in app boot up and performance for the stuff I daily use including the games and emulators.

Heck it's smoother than the mate 9 which definitely has some animation bugs. AI to smartly manage your performance my ass.

625 successor is more hype than 835.
They should have clocked the pixel higher but I guess the battery wasn't big enough to handle it. Moto Z Play is definitely beast though.

Go watch a 3T vs Pixel speed test and the 3T runs laps around it. Pixel 2 man. Lots to live up to.

Can someone pleeease recommend an app or a way to add iPad gestures to an Android tablet?

You could try Nova Launcher, you can add all kinds of gestures with that.

It has:
Swipe Up/Down (with one or two fingers)
Double Tap
Double Tap swipe up/down
Pinch in/out
Rotate two fingers cw/ccw

You can make the gestures do stuff like expand notifactions, app search, voice search, etc. And also launch specific apps and shortcuts.

LeleSocho

Banned
hands on previews so far are where I got it from...obviously it's preliminary but would it really be surprising?

I agree that this MWC has been mad questionable. Mostly sad all the watches got worse. I knew it wasn't the place for the phones.
Fair enough, been busy all day and haven't read any previews about it yet.
One can hope that by the time XZ Premium is released the better ISP makes things better... or one could hope that the same sensor ends up in the next iPhone :p

stop enabling your abuser

Never had a Sony smartphone and i don't think i ever will with their prices :p

Moto G5 Plus also looks nice. So between everything announced, I'm still split between that and the LG. Surely the Galaxy S8 will be great overall, but that price...

You could try Nova Launcher, you can add all kinds of gestures with that.

It has:
Swipe Up/Down (with one or two fingers)
Double Tap
Double Tap swipe up/down
Pinch in/out
Rotate two fingers cw/ccw

You can make the gestures do stuff like expand notifactions, app search, voice search, etc. And also launch specific apps and shortcuts.
What about app switching or return to home screen?

Jeffrey

Anything wrong with the OnePlus 3T? Looks like a pretty good deal at $440. Do they support their phones with software updates?
Not really. One of the best phones of 2016 regardless of price.

OnePlus upgrade history is a bit of a mix bag but so is most companies.

Oh yeah what happen to HTC? Did that new phone come out yet lol.

What about app switching or return to home screen?
App switching, yes. And you can return to which ever page you want to be your first page.

But Nova Launcher's gestures just work outside of apps at the home screen. In apps I think you just need to use the home button or the recent apps button.

Not sure if there's anything that adds system level gestures from within apps.

Like I'm playing around with a moto z play I borrowed from work and am actually a little pissed off at how well it runs compare to the pixel I bought lol.

Like I'm finding pretty much zero difference in app boot up and performance for the stuff I daily use including the games and emulators.

Heck it's smoother than the mate 9 which definitely has some animation bugs. AI to smartly manage your performance my ass.

625 successor is more hype than 835.

They should have clocked the pixel higher but I guess the battery wasn't big enough to handle it. Moto Z Play is definitely beast though.

Go watch a 3T vs Pixel speed test and the 3T runs laps around it. Pixel 2 man. Lots to live up to.

Google will no doubt improve on the hardware front of the next Google Pixel, especially when they've brought in Ex-Motorola chief Rick Osterloh for it (Link). They already have the software on lock. They may be coming out with some chipset of their own in which may be even better than Snapdragon 835.

I have a feeling that people that are rushing out to get the first Google Pixel phone are going to be shocked &/or disappointed when the new & improved model comes out later this year & does even more shit, especially when most people may not have the kind of money to shell out another high-end phone (hence why I'm waiting for that edition to come).

Do we know anything about the physical size of the S8?

All I've seen is talk about the big screens but nothing about the actual size of the phone.

Are the Galaxy phones typically huge?

Jeffrey

Axon 7 is taking a shit, ready to dump it. Mate 9 or OnePlus3T til S8 comes out?
for like a month?

mate 9 will ship quicker if you have prime. oneplus 3t could take a week to deliver.

Seems like iphone is going usb-c according to wsj. Makes the transition of this sub over easier!

No Love

Banned
for like a month?

mate 9 will ship quicker if you have prime. oneplus 3t could take a week to deliver.

Seems like iphone is going usb-c according to wsj. Makes the transition of this sub over easier!

True. I'll just order a Mate 9 and return it if the S8 shits on it hard.

Jeffrey

True. I'll just order a Mate 9 and return it if the S8 shits on it hard.

the lack of rumors about stereo audio kinda guarantees that mate 9 will at least win in speaker output (its quite nice, not as good as axon 7 but better than most stuff) and battery life.

will lose in screen though.

Hackbert

i switched my moto x play with a lenovo p2. holy hell, i am almost back to the nokia age.

one full day of use with gps and bt on and it is at 80%. the 4gig of ram are also nice.
Now i am just waiting for the Nougat update.

and finally i can try cheapish VR ^^

ty_hot

Anything wrong with the OnePlus 3T? Looks like a pretty good deal at $440. Do they support their phones with software updates?

The 1080p screen is pentile (I find it great, though, nothing worst comparing with the Nexus 6P 1440p one). Unless you want to view it at a 10 degrees angle, then colors get crazy.

The camera isn't on par with the flagships, but its good for its price.

All the rest, awesome phone. Fingerprint is lightning fast, has the best snapdragon to date, 6gb of ram, the filesystem is very fast as well. It runs smooooth. Android 7.0 though, no word on a 7.1 update... but it's a lineageOS supported phone, if you dont mind using a custom rom, it will have support.

Say hi to the Surge S1:

http://www.androidcentral.com/xiaomis-mi-5c-first-phone-be-powered-house-surge-s1-soc

In a bid to reduce its reliance on Qualcomm and MediaTek, Xiaomi has launched its in-house chipset, dubbed the Surge S1. The SoC is built on a 28nm node and offers eight Cortex A53 cores in two clusters. The first cluster sees four cores clocked at up to 2.2GHz, whereas the second cluster sees two cores at 1.4GHz. The chipset also offers a Mali T860 GPU and a 14-bit dual ISP.

The first phone to be powered by the Surge S1 is the Xiaomi 5c, a budget variant of last year's Mi 5. The phone features a 5.15-inch Full HD display, 3GB of RAM, 64GB internal storage, 12MP camera with f/2.2 lens and 1.25-micron pixels, 8MP front shooter, Wi-Fi ac, LTE with VoLTE, Bluetooth 4.1, USB-C, and a 2860mAh battery with fast charging (9V/2A).

Xiaomi shared a Geekbench score that shows the Surge S1 beating out the Snapdragon 625 and MediaTek's Helio P10. We'll have to wait until we get our hands on the Mi 5c to reserve judgement on whether the SoC can deliver in real-world usage. One positive aspect of using a custom chipset is that Xiaomi will be able to deliver updates faster.

Not a bad mid-low ranger, but the next SoC should be interesting (Quad A73+Quad A53)

JaggedSac

The 1080p screen is pentile (I find it great, though, nothing worst comparing with the Nexus 6P 1440p one). Unless you want to view it at a 10 degrees angle, then colors get crazy.

The camera isn't on par with the flagships, but its good for its price.

All the rest, awesome phone. Fingerprint is lightning fast, has the best snapdragon to date, 6gb of ram, the filesystem is very fast as well. It runs smooooth. Android 7.0 though, no word on a 7.1 update... but it's a lineageOS supported phone, if you dont mind using a custom rom, it will have support.

go look at best of 2016 lists, 3T is on all of them, sometimes even at the top.

Not really. One of the best phones of 2016 regardless of price.

OnePlus upgrade history is a bit of a mix bag but so is most companies.

Oh yeah what happen to HTC? Did that new phone come out yet lol.

Awesome, thanks.

LeleSocho

Banned
8x Cortex A53 at 28nm? in 2017?
g5ybDDV.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wonder what this means for Samsung, Google, and other Android OEMS going forward. Could be more lawsuits going forward over more patent bullshit.

9to5 Mac

Apple has filed a number of patent applications for different ways of embedding a fingerprint reader into a display, and one of these has today been granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Apple first applied for the patent in 2015.

Vanillalite

Android Central

Samsung is bringing RCS messaging to its phones following NewNet acquisition

Samsung acquired RCS operator NewNet Canada back in November, and the South Korean manufacturer is now integrating NewNet's technologies into its phones. To that effect, the company is expanding RCS services to include "RCS-enabled devices, native/downloadable device clients, cloud-based RCS application servers, an interconnectivity hub among operators and a third-party monetization platform." The company's RCS solution will be available on all Galaxy phones running Marshmallow and above.

Vanillalite

YMMV on if this is true or PR bullshit

That being said if we go by PR Meizu just styled on everything everywhere.

Meizu

Claim they can go 0-100 charge in 20 mins and not have any heat issues.

Jeffrey

As always. Best to do a reset after a major update.

Heck I do that on iOS as well.

It's not too hard to set stuff up again these days.

Jeffrey

Yeah. No point in a fancy giant display if the speakers aren't good. If I have to use headphones or what not. I'd just watch the shit on my big ass TV instead.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/2/28/14760818/huawei-marketing-mwc-2017
Starting at the 12-minute mark in the video, a well meaning Pantone representative starts to break down these two colors like some sloppily assembled color interpretation website. Green reminds us of renewal or trees, we’re told. We should drink more green, we’re told (which, frankly, I’d have liked to get a little more elaboration on; is that advising us to make broccoli juice or what?). Green is "almost out of touch with reality, but into another sphere." I’ve no idea what she meant by that, I just know it had nothing to do with the Huawei P10.

Seems like Huawei is playing from the Samsung nonsense playbook.

Neat

The ”5x Dual Camera Zoom" technology was inspired by the idea of a periscope on a submarine. The dual camera utilizes wide-angle and telephoto lenses, and the housing for the telephoto lens uses an innovative periscope-style structure. By shifting the angle of the telephoto lens by 90 degrees, the lens will have the space it needs for a deep zoom. A periscope-style prism then directs the path of the light entering the camera by 90 degrees, and sends the image through the telephoto lens when the user zooms in on a subject or object.The technology has completely re-designed the current standards of dual-camera solutions that can only achieve a 2x zoom – a feature that still disappoints many of today's demanding mobile users. OPPO strived to achieve a 5x zoom capability that will allow users to fully capture landscapes, portraits and close-ups -- all the typical scenarios that are commonly captured in a digital camera.

5x Lossless Zoom and yet Keeping the Smartphone Slim

This new dual-camera setup helps to keep a smartphone thin. The 3x optical zoom, matched with a proprietary image fusion technology for digital zoom, give users the industry's first-ever lossless 5x dual camera zoom. Thanks to the periscope-style construction, the 5x dual camera module is now only 5.7mm thick, which is even 10 percent thinner than a typical 2x optical zoom lens in a smartphone.

oppo-officially-introduces-periscope-inspired-5x-dual-camera-zoom.jpg

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...e-5x-lossless-zoom-phone-without-camera-bump/

LeleSocho

Banned
Yeah. No point in a fancy giant display if the speakers aren't good. If I have to use headphones or what not. I'd just watch the shit on my big ass TV instead.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/2/28/14760818/huawei-marketing-mwc-2017

Seems like Huawei is playing from the Samsung nonsense playbook.

Having someone from Pantone explain two new colors for the phone is actually a very good idea because color is a fundamental part that can greatly influence a person's choice so the author of the article saying "the Pantone lady told us that the sky is blue, she's so dumb hurr durr" is idiotic as it gets but hey it's the Verge so i don't expect any better.
Sure the Pantone section could have been better with, for example, explaining what influenced the choices of those particular shades of green and blue to make us understand why they fit the product rather than spending time saying a set of qualities that the two general colors have.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231195648 said:

I'm ultra mad about this because i had thought of this concept years ago but because i'm a dumb average joe i couldn't bank on it...

Jeffrey

Explaining colors at a press conference is the bullshit Apple would do though.

Wait so that's a good thing. There is a rumor that Apple will introduce red to their lineup during the ipad conference so expect a nice firey promo video.

Explaining colors at a press conference is the bullshit Apple would do though.

Wait so that's a good thing. There is a rumor that Apple will introduce red to their lineup during the ipad conference so expect a nice firey promo video.

As consumers seek mindfulness and well-being as an antidote to modern day stresses, welcoming colors that psychologically fulfill our yearning for reassurance and security are becoming more prominent. Joined together, Rose Quartz and Serenity demonstrate an inherent balance between a warmer embracing rose tone and the cooler tranquil blue, reflecting connection and wellness as well as a soothing sense of order and peace.

The prevalent combination of Rose Quartz and Serenity also challenges traditional perceptions of color association.

In many parts of the world we are experiencing a gender blur as it relates to fashion, which has in turn impacted color trends throughout all other areas of design. This more unilateral approach to color is coinciding with societal movements toward gender equality and fluidity, the consumer's increased comfort with using color as a form of expression, a generation that has less concern about being typecast or judged and an open exchange of digital information that has opened our eyes to different approaches to color usage.

Color of the Year 2016

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
End all the noise and focus on a few things, Google. Just focus. For once.

Top Bottom