• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
so people can buy them all over again?

the only reason anyone gives the rumor any kind of respect is the source.

if i read it almost anywhere else i'd be laughing.
I just think the wsj didn't put much thought into the USB C explanation. They probably heard USB C and ran with it. I'd be surprised and happy if the phone itself went fully USB C. Great.

RoKKeR

Damn, S8 looks amazing. FP sensor under the front glass and I'd be all about it later this year.

Edit: I suppose if it has an iris scanner then the FP on the back doesn't matter all that much.

Groof

I just think the wsj didn't put much thought into the USB C explanation. They probably heard USB C and ran with it. I'd be surprised and happy if the phone itself went fully USB C. Great.
Or they kept it vague on purpose for clicks

How tall is the S8 going to be? If it's going to have a 5.8 and 6.4 inch screen, that's going to be a very big phone or will the bezel less design help with that?

How tall is the S8 going to be? If it's going to have a 5.8 and 6.4 inch screen, that's going to be a very big phone or will the bezel less design help with that?

Will be similar profile to last year's models. I don't know if I like having to watch youtube with black bars on the sides though.

Laekon

Will be similar profile to last year's models. I don't know if I like having to watch youtube with black bars on the sides though.

This is why I'm not impressed with it. What is the point of the extra screen if it doesn't do anything? I personally find the new all screen designs as unsightly as the overly large bezel designs.

C5zFzC5U0AIiwFH.jpg:large
Very nice.

This is why I'm not impressed with it. What is the point of the extra screen if it doesn't do anything? I personally find the new all screen designs as unsightly as the overly large bezel designs.

I guess it will benefit web browsing. Apparently even games run with bars on the sides, but the G6 has a mode where it stretches the game to fit the screen I believe. I assume Samsung will do the same. I wonder if the YouTube app will get an update to be able to stretch the videos.

Hackbert

Where did you get your P2 and how much did you pay? LTE work in the US?

First time I'm hearing about this phone and it sounds up my alley.

i am from germany. i think it is called the vibe p2 over in the states. I got it via amazon italy for 270 €. with selling the x play it was a bargain.

ty_hot

I guess it will benefit web browsing. Apparently even games run with bars on the sides, but the G6 has a mode where it stretches the game to fit the screen I believe. I assume Samsung will do the same. I wonder if the YouTube app will get an update to be able to stretch the videos.
Stretching videos. In 2017. For 800 dollars.

I'm completely out of the allscreen phone hype train. Adds zero functionality.

rugioh

Banned
Don't know why people are so eager to throw money on a Samsung flagship considering how they're doing current Verizon S7 owners dirty on updates. Going to switch over to TMobile and get a Moto G5 Plus when that drops. It should be coming out this month yes?

this_guy

Don't know why people are so eager to throw money on a Samsung flagship considering how they're doing current Verizon S7 owners dirty on updates. Going to switch over to TMobile and get a Moto G5 Plus when that drops. It should be coming out this month yes?

I'm using a Moto G4 Plus right now. Still haven't received nougat yet and my last security update was July 2016. Don't get Motorola if updates is your biggest concern.

Verizon is doing Verizon customers dirty.

rugioh

Banned
I'm using a Moto G4 Plus right now. Still haven't received nougat yet and my last security update was July 2016. Don't get Motorola if updates is your biggest concern.

That's disappointing to hear. I really can't figure out what midrange phone to pick up that would have solid specs and a good release timing other than a OP3T (And thats only because i can flash my own stuff easily onto it). Dunno how good ZTE/Huawei is in that regard.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Don't buy carrier branded phones

this_guy

That's disappointing to hear. I really can't figure out what midrange phone to pick up that would have solid specs and a good release timing other than a OP3T (And thats only because i can flash my own stuff easily onto it). Dunno how good ZTE/Huawei is in that regard.

From what we've seen of ZTE they have been the quickest with updates (faster than OnePlus) and they also do monthly security updates. Huawei seems to be around the same level as Samsung/LG/HTC - the Honor 5 updated to Nougat in February and they seem to do quarterly security updates. I though Moto could at least match the quarterly updates but it's been over 6 months since the last one for me.

Jeffrey

Don't buy carrier branded phones
Unlocked us S7 update cycle is even worse lol.

But yeah I rather just have a normal ass giant phone that's 16:9 like a mate or a note than these long things.

Seems only good for movies and who the fuck is gonna watch a whole movie on a phone unless you are on a plane or something?

rugioh

Banned
Unlocked us S7 update cycle is even worse lol.

But yeah I rather just have a normal ass giant phone that's 16:9 like a mate or a note than these long things.

Seems only good for movies and who the fuck is gonna watch a whole movie on a phone unless you are on a plane or something?

I don't know. The more research and waiting I do the more it seems like Android is just in total disarray in terms of what they want to accomplish. Seems like the current priority is to get people to jump phones every year rather than provide support for old dogs.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3175067/android/android-upgrade-problem.html

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't know. The more research and waiting I do the more it seems like Android is just in total disarray in terms of what they want to accomplish. Seems like the current priority is to get people to jump phones every year rather than provide support for old dogs.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3175067/android/android-upgrade-problem.html

Android OEMs get zero post buying revenue so of course it's this way. Apple gets you cause it gets you into their ecosystem and they make all that iTunes app store money.

Google gets all of that on Android so OEMs have to try and push more phones.

It's why Google products are best in terms of updates, stock android, etc.

You start off at the latest OS (they say that Google Pixel 2 will start off at 8.0), & get all of the fast OS updates within 2-3 years.

Laekon

If a phone works, it works. I don't get the need to have updates. I don't think 7.0 made my Nexus 5 any better. In fact at first it made it worse. 7.1 has nothing.

The same applies to Apple products that I own, an iPad and MBP.

Mindwipe

That's a good looking phone right there. Bixby button is a total waste, hopefully it's reprogrammable. And the rumor that the camera isn't a big jump is disappointing.

Yeah, I guess we'll see but a dual camera would have been nice, or the Sony super slomo.

But still, it's a pretty good camera.

Sadly, even if it's reprogrammable, the Bixby button is a silly place for a one-hand mode trigger, or a camera shutter button.

LeleSocho

Banned
btw i really hope that Bixby is not the real name of the thing but they stick with the much more pleasing and witty Viv.

Bixby seems like the name of one of those bad 90s mascotte characters...
Cnyvx4V.png

"Hey i'm Bixby and i'm here to help you navigating the cyberworld of the internet!"

this_guy

btw i really hope that Bixby is not the real name of the thing but they stick with the much more pleasing and witty Viv.

Bixby seems like the name of one of those bad 90s mascotte characters...
Cnyvx4V.png

"Hey i'm Bixby and i'm here to help you navigating the cyberworld of the internet!"

Bixby the extreme AI sounds like a winner.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Even without bezels, that Samsung phone looks unwieldy.

Top Bottom