• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
What's a good android phone with:
- Decent screen
- Great camera for photo and video
- good battery
- doesn't cost a fortune

Really don't care about anything else.
My old lgg3 would be still good enough for me but it starting to have some issues.

OnePlus 3 or 3T, Moto Z Play are good choices

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
HTC really plans to go through with the Sense touch thing:

C8A5_oUXkAA7_rE.jpg

That’s because, according to a person familiar with the company’s plans, HTC has taken a novel input method — once thought to be strictly a concept design — and turned it into the technological centerpiece of its upcoming Android Nougat 7.1-powered flagship phone. Currently best known by its codename, Ocean, the 5.5-inch, WQHD (2560 x 1440) resolution device is said to be hitting retail as simply the HTC U.

(Very much in keeping with HTC’s penchant for injecting incongruity into its branding strategy, Ocean will actually be the third handset in the U lineup, following January’s unveiling of the HTC U Play and HTC U Ultra.)

The HTC U is powered by the same top-of-the-line Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 system-on-chip as North American Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus units, but its standout feature is located in the device’s metal frame, of all places. Seen in the videos above and below — and known as Edge Sense — the frame-embedded sensors enable the user to control numerous, customizable actions with gestures such as squeezing or swiping along its left and right sides.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/03/28/...ll-feature-sense-9-and-touch-sensitive-frame/

clav

What's a good android phone with:
- Decent screen
- Great camera for photo and video
- good battery
- doesn't cost a fortune

Really don't care about anything else.
My old lgg3 would be still good enough for me but it starting to have some issues.

Moto G5 Plus

Honor 8 fits all the criteria.
thanks, i heard battery life is poor though? that would be a deal breaker for me.

OnePlus 3 or 3T, Moto Z Play are good choices
thanks,
OP3 and 3T are a bit pricier than i would like, at least around here.
Moto Z Play looks a bit chunky in pictures. have you held or owned one?

The One Plus is probably the best match for this. Though you might be able to get an Axon 7 at this point fairly cheap.

The S7 might also be pretty cheap this week when the S8 is announced.
thanks,
Axon 7 is almost double the price of the other phones mentioned around here.
good call on the S7 deals, i keep an eye out but it's pretty urgent as i would like to take it on my travels in two weeks.

You'll probably need to go to One Plus.
thanks,
it's unfortunately noticably pricier than the competition. i could grab a s7 for that price.

Moto G5 Plus

all reviews mention the bad camera that's a no-go as it would be my main reason to upgrade.

IronRaven

Is the Exynos chip in the S8 supposed to be better than the Snapdragon 835?
If I'm not in the US, the Exynos is the way to go?

The benchmark tests are not out yet, but I would imagine that it will be. If you're not the in the U.S., from my understanding, you're probably getting the Exynos variant.

Is the Axon 7 still a good buy today? Do I have to worry about it sending my fingerprint data to China?

Also, how is ZTE in providing security updates to older phones? I'm not fussed about platform updates anymore, Android 7.o does everything I currently need out of a phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is the Axon 7 still a good buy today? Do I have to worry about it sending my fingerprint data to China?

Also, how is ZTE in providing security updates to older phones? I'm not fussed about platform updates anymore, Android 7.o does everything I currently need out of a phone.

Zero phones are a good buy today other than the Moto G5.

Samsung unveils the S8 tomorrow with the next gen processor.

Even if you don't want the S8 pricing for everything else should adjust again tomorrow or when preorders go live.

Wait a day then check back.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

If this was an Apple feature, there would be four different threads and a million articles about the future of touch interface in phones. Goes to show how far HTC had fallen. Nobody, even in this thread, thinks they can find an interesting user case for this. Sad. I loved my m8 back in the day and I wanted a 10 badly but the price was too high.

Mindwipe

Gotta wait for impressions but it was the case for S7.

Exynos is Samsung's own stuff so it being better optimized is a given.

Honestly I think the only question in my mind is if the S8 Snapdragon is Daydream certified, will the Exynos be? It'd be the first non-Snapdragon approval.

ty_hot

Zero phones are a good buy today other than the Moto G5.

Samsung unveils the S8 tomorrow with the next gen processor.

Even if you don't want the S8 pricing for everything else should adjust again tomorrow or when preorders go live.

Wait a day then check back.
It's probably more like the s8 price will be already higher than everything else so nothing changes much. The ZTE and the OP3T are and will still be the best bang for the buck for high end performance (processor and gfx at least, not camera, display).

Vanillalite

It's probably more like the s8 price will be already higher than everything else so nothing changes much. The ZTE and the OP3T are and will still be the best bang for the buck for high end performance (processor and gfx at least, not camera, display).

Pricing might change though. So I'd wait to see how price works out even on current devices.

Raide

Still in love with my OnePlus 3t.

Any recommendation on camera apps worth downloading? Finding the inbuilt one a bit limited with settings/options etc.

Also, any music player recommendations?

Quasar

If this was an Apple feature, there would be four different threads and a million articles about the future of touch interface in phones. Goes to show how far HTC had fallen. Nobody, even in this thread, thinks they can find an interesting user case for this. Sad. I loved my m8 back in the day and I wanted a 10 badly but the price was too high.

Well that's just the Apple effect. Everything they introduce is revolutionary.

this_guy

If that was a feature that I'd want, I think I'd prefer a dial instead. But BlackBerry did that 10 years ago.

Toki767

So if I want to switch to T-Mobile but I'm currently paying off a phone on AT&T, would I have to pay off the phone before switching over?

Apple would at least be able to bake it into the OS and encourage Apps to use it, HTC on the other hand being at the mercy of Google with respect to this innovation ......

Jeffrey

Sense touch seems ill conceived. Like most sensible people use a case with their phone?

Anyways almost april so new phone spring should be happening.

Gimme them budget 835 already.

Vanillalite

So if I want to switch to T-Mobile but I'm currently paying off a phone on AT&T, would I have to pay off the phone before switching over?

If you want to use that phone yes.

That being said you need that band 12 for T-Mo to really work so make sure your current AT&T phone supports it.

Vanillalite

As soon as the first 835 phone is officially announced then last year's phones will finally start their trend to last year pricing.

Just gotta wait a day or two.

Quasar

Huh, I didn't realise that Google Home had yet to release in the UK. Releases April 6th.

So far its only US.

I had to import mine back at launch and there's still no word on an Australian release. Of course theres still no sign of Echo ever launching here either.

Vanillalite

It's almost like you're trying to will the price drops into existence lol.

It's more that the 835 is late this year.

Don't forget we had Snap 820 phones out in January of last year.

This year with the 835 being so late and Samsung getting all of the stock we've been in hold mode for Q1.

reKon

Banned
for some reason, I think the SD 835 will end up impressing and a lot of people will be satisfied... for every manufacturer using it except for Samsung. Please actually try this time Samsung. Main benefits will clearly be much better power management compared to past chips, especially when using Wi-Fi.

Vanillalite

We're going on essentially month 14 since the last real new Android chipset (821 more of just an overclock). It'll be month 15 before we get the S8 launch. So it's been a while.

reKon

Banned
We're going on essentially month 14 since the last real new Android chipset (821 more of just an overclock). It'll be month 15 before we get the S8 launch. So it's been a while.

Yeah it really has.

I think things are look good here:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...sults-comparisons-pixel-oneplus-3t-galaxy-s7/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11201/qualcomm-snapdragon-835-performance-preview

I'm not basing this on benchmarks vs Exynos and Apple's chip, but rather, based on comparisons to the SD821 which was an absolutely beast.

With that said, the competition may do much better when they are all coming out with the 10nm chips, but at the very least there will be a high enough standard that will allow long lasting batteries and good performance.

Jeffrey

new flagship chips are kinda pointless unless you care about photography or mobile vr (lol).

2016 brought us SD625: which on stockish android is basically the same experience as a SD820 outside of games and HDR processing, with tremendous System on Time.

i'm more curious about battery life for the new 10nm process than benchmark times.

reKon

Banned
new flagship chips are kinda pointless unless you care about photography or mobile vr (lol).

2016 brought us SD625: which on stockish android is basically the same experience as a SD820 outside of games and HDR processing, with tremendous System on Time.

i'm more curious about battery life for the new 10nm process than benchmark times.

Yeah, I think SD 835 will slay here, which means others will just slay more. On 10nm, we will all win.

So one plus 3t isn't sold in AT&T store is it? Can't believe I am getting fucked over for considering unlocked and now with them locking features to branded devices I have to go back to their bloatware

6P died at 35% on my commute home. I spent the rest of the time with ear buds in that wasn't playing any music twiddling my thumbs like a dumbass. I think I'll just get the 3T and give my brother the 6P. Relatively cheap and it's very very good from the reviews I've been looking at.

IronRaven

So one plus 3t isn't sold in AT&T store is it? Can't believe I am getting fucked over for considering unlocked and now with them locking features to branded devices I have to go back to their bloatware

I don't believe any major or minor carrier in the U.S has the 3T. You have to buy directly from OnePlus.

Top Bottom