• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

so, about that... i won a trip from Samsung to attend UNPACKED 2017 in NYC!

Do you get a free phone? Otherwise I'd not waste a vacation day to touch a phone a month early lol.

869O0IO.jpg

Good way to compare these new tall phones with your typical 16:9 phones.

S8+ isn't really that 'big' lol.

reKon

Banned
Right. Next thing you will tell us is that we can bypass the IMEI whitelisting and flash the custom firmware of the SD820 carrier versions onto the Exynos one to get Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE.

Only carrier unlocked device that does Wi-Fi calling is the iPhone. You need to get the carrier version for Wi-Fi calling for Android and WP phones.

I mean this has verified by many people on XDA, but whatever.

Dude! Are you serious!!?!?! First of all, congratulations! Secondly, I REALLY JEALOUS!!!
deadass B.

i replied fast enough to the invite.

congrats bro, remember that no matter what your videos won't be as crisp as MKBHD's
indeed.

My image of you as Flossy Carter only grows.
hah!

Do you get a free phone? Otherwise I'd not waste a vacation day to touch a phone a month early lol.

http://i.imgur.com/869O0IO.jpg

of course i get a free phone... a Galaxy S7.

Congratulations! Go to the event with your Note 7
no chance in hell.

That's cool.
yes, yes it is.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tell Samsung you have a suggestion for their next UI evolution on the Note 8, and then show them your Comic Sans Home Screen!

this_guy

The G6 is just continuing LG's trend to have their prices drop like a rock. By June/July I won't be surprised if you can find the G6 for about $400. At that price it's a pretty sexy phone.

Mindwipe

My set up of my gaming/HTPC + 55 inch Plasma + K830 Logitech keyboard has been brilliant so far. Streamers like chromecast/fire stick have been worthless to me because of this setup. It's just so convenient for me to just pick up the keyboard and just start using it on a big screen. I was supposed to be using my Galaxy Tab Pro S for casual browsing because using a Plasma as a monitor can be bad due to constant image retention (luckily I won't have a work around this anymore with my 65 inch KS8000 coming in!). I barely use the tablet except when I'm traveling for work or visiting somewhere...

I'm slowly realizing that an high-end Android tablet is really the perfect device for what I need, but it's so fucking niche, lol. The 2 in 1 chromebook would have been my perfect device, but my issues with is there's no PS4 Remote Play app for it. I don't think you can sideload apps on these either...

You can sideload apps on Chromebooks. I have Amazon Video installed on mine to get downloads. But you have to disable system integrity protection to do it, which removes all the user data, so do it before you bother setting the thing up...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Been poking around XDA this morning on the G6 board - seems like a lukewarm reception:

- lag issues (unoptimized 821)
- complaints of it being too narrow to use
- uneven LCD screen - bottom is warmer than top (wtf LG)

Complaints of it being too narrow to use are definitely a valid concern. If 18:9 is gonna be the future, guess I'd better go to an att store and see if I can deal with it

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g6/how-to/awful-t3578169

Vanillalite

I still haven't figured out why companies thought thinner longer aspect ratios is a good idea. Like I haven't quiet found the upside.

longdi

Banned
I still haven't figured out why companies thought thinner longer aspect ratios is a good idea. Like I haven't quiet found the upside.

Probably trying to beat Apple to the punch for something different.

Imo i dont need another aspect ratio, 18:9, wtf?

Although, a longer screen when viewing neogaf on Samsung browser (fullscreen, hide menu bars) is pretty awesome, i guess..

NeOak

869O0IO.jpg

Isn't there idea that they wouldn't be that big?

I mean this has verified by many people on XDA, but whatever.
Sorry man, just couldn't resist poking fun :p

I'm pretty sure unlocked Google phones can do wi-fi calling on T-Mo.

Can confirm.
Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know they did.

Jeffrey

Been poking around XDA this morning on the G6 board - seems like a lukewarm reception:

- lag issues (unoptimized 821)
- complaints of it being too narrow to use
- uneven LCD screen - bottom is warmer than top (wtf LG)

Complaints of it being too narrow to use are definitely a valid concern. If 18:9 is gonna be the future, guess I'd better go to an att store and see if I can deal with it

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g6/how-to/awful-t3578169
Weird that it's too narrow. Guess people were expecting a phablet when it's actually just a 5.2" 16:9 phone that is a little taller.

BraXzy

My 2 year contract is up at the start of next month so I'm in the market for my next phone. Now obviously the S8 announcement is just around the corner but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting it regardless based on the price...

My current shortlist is:

One Plus 3T (I can get like-new for £275)
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (I can get like new for £350)
LG G6?

What would folks recommend I do?

Only carrier unlocked device that does Wi-Fi calling is the iPhone. You need to get the carrier version for Wi-Fi calling for Android and WP phones.
Okay, that's good to know since I'd want that.

The G6 is just continuing LG's trend to have their prices drop like a rock. By June/July I won't be surprised if you can find the G6 for about $400. At that price it's a pretty sexy phone.
That's nice for the unlocked versions, but even the G5 is still full price at AT&T. So I can't get Wi-Fi calling and a steep discount on the phone.

TheGrizz

I've never pre-ordered anything other than an iPhone (which is a crazy, crazy situation). How is the preorder process with Samsung phones? Do I need to preorder through my carrier or do I do it through a Samsung website (ala Apple.com for iPhones)?

Also, how hard are they to procure via preorder or in store on launch day? I'm trying to determine if I want to try and go through the process or stick with my IP7+.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey

As someone who never takes selfies I'm all for phones with no bezel at the top.

I've never pre-ordered anything other than an iPhone (which is a crazy, crazy situation). How is the preorder process with Samsung phones? Do I need to preorder through my carrier or do I do it through a Samsung website (ala Apple.com for iPhones)?

Also, how hard are they to procure via preorder or in store on launch day? I'm trying to determine if I want to try and go through the process or stick with my IP7+.

Thanks in advance!

Should be able to preorder from both (I mean you could have preorder iPhone from carrier or best buy as well). I don't recall Samsung stuff having huge stock issues in the past. S8 could be super hype though, or sd835 might be limited which hurts launch quantity?

Best to preorder when you can.

Can someone please help me with some info and advice?

First off, I'm using a OnePlus One that regularly crashes and goes into bootloop. It stays locked for like a day and so far I can get it back working. This is endlessly frustrating but I've put up with it for the past few months.

I feel like just buying a new phone, but I want something where bootlooping isn't a problem. I don't care about top of the line, I just want the damn thing to work regularly( phone calls, text, play podcasts and surf the web). My question comes after I skim this thread and find a lot of people talking about bootlooping being a common problem.

Is it? Is there a sub 300 android phone I can just buy and not worry about?

Jeffrey

First off, I'm using a OnePlus One that regularly crashes and goes into bootloop. It stays locked for like a day and so far I can get it back working. This is endlessly frustrating but I've put up with it for the past few months.

I feel like just buying a new phone, but I want something where bootlooping isn't a problem. I don't care about top of the line, I just want the damn thing to work regularly( phone calls, text, play podcasts and surf the web). My question comes after I skim this thread and find a lot of people talking about bootlooping being a common problem.

It's more of a joke here than a huge issue. Never heard OPO being a bootloop issue.

Generally avoid LG if you can. Anything else seems decent for the most part. The closer the phone is to stock, the more stable they are generally, look at oneplus or Motorola.

With OPO,maybe try flashing lineage OS on it or any other custom roms?

Vanillalite

Do you need NFC?

Jeffrey

Any of y'all live in a country that you can use android pay at a dine in restaurant?

In the US you typically have to give your cc in the checkbook thing still.

Yes in Canada I can tap and pay at restaurants or use my credit card chip. I don't think I've had to manually write in a tip in years - I just do it through the credit card machine they bring by.

IronRaven

Any of y'all live in a country that you can use android pay at a dine in restaurant?

In the US you typically have to give your cc in the checkbook thing still.

I'm in the US and have yet to use Android Pay for a dine-in restaurant. I thought those chain restaurants like Chili's and or Red Robin with those tablets at the table to order and pay would accept Android Pay, but from what I can tell, they don't. They only accept normal credit cards and probably Samsung Pay.

patt3.jpg

Edit: I used my phone to pay for stuff at a local Walgreens again today. Still feels like I'm living in the future when I use it. I love it.

Jeffrey

I'm in the US and have yet to use Android Pay for a dine-in restaurant. I thought those chain restaurants like Chili's and or Red Robin with those tablets at the table to order and pay would accept Android Pay, but from what I can tell, they don't. They only accept normal credit cards and probably Samsung Pay.

patt3.jpg
Ah yeah seen those before. Always forget to wear my gear s3 lol. Will try next time.

BTW Samsung curved screen owners. What screen protector options are there?

Quasar

It's baaaaack
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I always wondered why it wouldn't be if the only issue was the battery. Put in a safe, smaller battery and sell em. Of course it raises an issue with aeroplane safely..how do people tell its a now safe Note7.

Guess they could make the casing a different colour.

IronRaven

I always wondered why it wouldn't be if the only issue was the battery. Put in a safe, smaller battery and sell em. Of course it raises an issue with aeroplane safely..how do people tell its a now safe Note7.

Guess they could make the casing a different colour.

The color would be a nice sky "Trust-me-I-won't-explode-this-time. I-swear-I-mean-it-this-time. I-promise. I-really-do-sincerely-mean-it-now" blue.

I was considering the 3t but if the unlocked G6 is around 600 that might be fine. I'd rather not get a phone that will get a new version in 3 months, but I need a new phone as well.

The G6 price in amazon is a placeholder right?

IronRaven

I was considering the 3t but if the unlocked G6 is around 600 that might be fine. I'd rather not get a phone that will get a new version in 3 months, but I need a new phone as well.

The G6 price in amazon is a placeholder right?

For now, I think it might be. But don't be surprised if unlocked, it's $700. Unlocked flagships from major manufactures aren't exactly cheap.

Top Bottom