• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

For now, I think it might be, but don't be surprised if, unlocked, it's $700. Unlocked flagships from major manufactures aren't exactly cheap.

the at&t G6 is 24 bucks for 30 months, they want to charge 720 for the 32 GB version. I ain't paying a $120 premium AND have their bloatware. So I'll wait for Amazon to get the unlocked without the 1000 dollar placeholder.

Jeffrey

How's life on iOS compared to Android? I've only ever heard people's opinions on YouTube and most have the same consensus.

I have a 6s plus and pixel. Love how ios gets Google updates quicker and the apps run smoother lol.

IOS notifications suck. Multitasking isn't real multitasking either. Scrolling is super slow.

And no quick charge. Also that 3 year old design is really showing. The plus iphones are 5.5" phones with the weight and dimensions of 6" phones lol.

IronRaven

I have a 6s plus and pixel. Love how ios gets Google updates quicker and the apps run smoother lol.

IOS notifications suck. Multitasking isn't real multitasking either. Scrolling is super slow.

And no quick charge. Also that 3 year old design is really showing. The plus iphones are 5.5" phones with the weight and dimensions of 6" phones lol.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that actually. I was always under the impression that iOS was the "fastest" and "snappiest" phone to use as a daily. In terms of multitasking, I thought it was similar to Android phones that don't have split-screen yet.

Jeffrey

Maybe, just maybe, the next phone I get will have great battery life. My 6P has steadily deteriorated with each update. Now I'm down to 2hr SoT. Sigh.

Get a phone with less updates lol.

Never understood why people are so needy about updates. It'd always a coin toss on killing your battery or performance, even on iOS.

Google phones seem really vulnerable. Basically beta testing even on the stable track.

Never understood why people are so needy about updates. It'd always a coin toss on killing your battery or performance, even on iOS.

Google phones seem really vulnerable. Basically beta testing even on the stable track.
meh when I had an s6 I barely got any updates and performance got worse overtime on its own.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I would have gotten that Note 7 awhile ago. Now? Nah. How hilarious would it be if it ended up catching on fire again?

I'm kind of surprised to hear that actually. I was always under the impression that iOS was the "fastest" and "snappiest" phone to use as a daily. In terms of multitasking, I thought it was similar to Android phones that don't have split-screen yet.
Heck no. Android is so much better at multitasking. It's incredibly faster. Switching apps, replying through notifications. Much faster.

ShdwDrake

Banned
How's life on iOS compared to Android? I've only ever heard people's opinions on YouTube and most have the same consensus.

Its ok? The app run nice on such an old phone. There are design decisions that I don't like (lock screen, some settings in the app itself other settings in the settings app).

My main issue is I use Google for everything. I have google play music, gmail, regularly use keep etc.

I hear ya. Not digging my 6p battery life these days.
I kinda wanna get the S8+ but I don't know. I guess I'll wait until November to see the Pixel 2 and hope Google got its act together.

I kinda wanna get the S8+ but I don't know. I guess I'll wait until November to see the Pixel 2 and hope Google got its act together.

I hope that the successor will be more improved on hardware & on such shit like Bluetooth connections, as that was one of the major hardware problems on the 1st Pixel (Link).

Plus I think it's coming out in October.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I was considering the 3t but if the unlocked G6 is around 600 that might be fine. I'd rather not get a phone that will get a new version in 3 months, but I need a new phone as well.

The G6 price in amazon is a placeholder right?

Don't the 3t and G6 have the same specs except for the 6GBs of ram? Unless its a Samsung situation where the phone has different specs overseas.

iOS = slow but smooth
Android = fast but janky

This is a perfect explanation. I was like the apps run smooth XD

I hope that the successor will be more improved on hardware & on such shit like Bluetooth connections, as that was one of the major hardware problems on the 1st Pixel (Link).

Plus I think it's coming out in October.
My friend has a Pixel so I'm aware of the issues. That's why I'm hoping for a great phone. I'm not getting too excited. I might even get the iPhone 8 seeing as Apple will put out a beast this year.

My iphone 7 is 100000% smooth. Runs literally with zero hitches. Just the honest truth in my experience. Same thing when I had an SE.

Though I'll also be honest and say other than the shitty battery life my work pixel runs fine too but definitely the occasional jank and definitely not as good as ios but way smoother than any android phone I've ever owned.

Jeffrey

My iphone 7 is 100000% smooth. Runs literally with zero hitches. Just the honest truth in my experience. Same thing when I had an SE.

Though I'll also be honest and say other than the shitty battery life my work pixel runs fine too but definitely the occasional jank and definitely not as good as ios but way smoother than any android phone I've ever owned.

hmmm wonder if its due to my 6s plus's resolution? like im on the latest and i open multiswitcher and swipe quickly and it stutters lol. Theres always that pause too when I open the 'share' menu.

its long due for a refresh though. Feel like ios gets a bit chunky after a while if you keep restoring from same backup.

hmmm wonder if its due to my 6s plus's resolution? like im on the latest and i open multiswitcher and swipe quickly and it stutters lol. Theres always that pause too when I open the 'share' menu.

its long due for a refresh though. Feel like ios gets a bit chunky after a while if you keep restoring from same backup.
ahh I've never used the plus model longer than a minute so I can't speak to that.

I am hyped for ios11 though. Just hoping for notifications and lots of refinements. 10.3 running really well so far. Apple launched a whole new file system to hundreds of millions of customers all at once. Meanwhile by the time Oreo comes out who knows what nougat will be at.

Jeffrey

ahh I've never used the plus model longer than a minute so I can't speak to that.

I am hyped for ios11 though. Just hoping for notifications and lots of refinements. 10.3 running really well so far. Apple launched a whole new file system to hundreds of millions of customers all at once. Meanwhile by the time Oreo comes out who knows what nougat will be at.
Is s8 even launching with 7.1 lol

I have owned my iPhone 7 since launch and have never had any lag or performance hiccups. It has been the smoothest phone I have ever owned. About the only issue I have had is battery drain issues and I'm hoping 10.3 solved it. I do miss the faster scrolling Android offers, but at times that would come at the cost of the page not being fully loaded/rendered.

The scrolling in iOS is way too slow. It takes forever to scroll down a neogaf page in Safari. Them not giving you an option to change this or having better notifications at this point is pretty bad.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Heard browsing is a fuck ton better on iOS now with today's update. Safari is better, and that new Apple file system could be a major boon to iOS going forward.

IronRaven

Here's a really random and potentially disgusting question: Does sweat affect skins applied to a phone like dbrand or slickwraps? As in, does it make the wrap to come loose?

Groof

Here's a really random and potentially disgusting question: Does sweat affect skins applied to a phone like dbrand or slickwraps? As in, does it make the wrap to come loose?

idk how different it is from skin to skin, but the mahogany dbrand skin i had on the nexus 4 i used to bring with me to the gym had a pretty noticeable area where it was constantly shiny. might have been the skin's texture getting worn out or it might have been sweat idk but ymmv

this_guy

Does using a browser other than Safari help with scrolling speed on iOS? I know Safari is supposed to have the best rendering speed but the slow scrolling bothered me the last time I used an iPhone (but that was back with the 5s)

Jeffrey

Does using a browser other than Safari help with scrolling speed on iOS? I know Safari is supposed to have the best rendering speed but the slow scrolling bothered me the last time I used an iPhone (but that was back with the 5s)

I believe it's system level?

IronRaven

idk how different it is from skin to skin, but the mahogany dbrand skin i had on the nexus 4 i used to bring with me to the gym had a pretty noticeable area where it was constantly shiny. might have been the skin's texture getting worn out or it might have been sweat idk but ymmv

But it sounds like it at least stuck to the phone which is what I'm most concerned about if I get a skin for my phone.

Quasar

Well looking at gaf threads on my iPad Air2 using Chrome scrolling seems pretty fast, as fast as I'd want it. Though I havent tried a image or animation/video heavy thread yet.

EDIT: trying another forum, which has threads full of embedded youtube links, at 40 posts per page it scrolls fast...just that its all black till the scroll stops and the loading catches up.

Jeffrey

too bad chrome can't take advantage of adblockers on ios.

anyhow both OS are mature enough at this point, still feel like android is overall 'better' in terms of usability wise, but its mostly for power users.

Sure would be nice if some android company can offer the level of service apple offers. Just being able to get in my car and drive to the apple store 5min away from work when there is an issue is so much better than RMAing a phone.

Quasar

too bad chrome can't take advantage of adblockers on ios.

anyhow both OS are mature enough at this point, still feel like android is overall 'better' in terms of usability wise, but its mostly for power users.

Sure would be nice if some android company can offer the level of service apple offers. Just being able to get in my car and drive to the apple store 5min away from work when there is an issue is so much better than RMAing a phone.

Would be nice...Not many a have strong retail presence like Apple or enough cash to do such a thing. It seems at best you'd get something like other ce branches. Especially those with long histories like say Sony or Samsung. And that can be hit or miss.

My limited Apple interactions have been beyond exceptional. Such as my iPad Air2 screen going all kind of green outside the warranty period and I never bought Apple care for it. They just replaced it for free with no fuss. That kind of service makes me think of switching even though I'm totally embedded in the google verse and much prefer android and it's ecosystem. And I've never really had a bad android phone servicing experience.

Jeffrey

google apps are arguably better on ios these days lol.

i mean since... was it ios 7 or 8, google apps can basically go between each of them easy enough. You can pretty much 'live' in google apps on ios.

which is why switching between ios and android is really easy if you use google stuff lol.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yo! I'm taking a ton of photos with my iPhone 7+ and man!! This camera is awesome. It's such a pleasure to use. It's super brain-dead compared to my 6P. Plus I can take a bunch of photos without it freezing up and not allowing me to take more pictures. I know the Pixel fixed the numerous photo freezing issue but I wouldn't know.

The dual lens and portrait ability of iPhone 7+ is so good. I didn't want the Plus model but now that I'm putting the camera to work, man oh man. It is splendid. Google really needs to put up with the Pixel 2. My wife tried out the camera and now she wants to switch her Nexus 5X for an iPhone 7+ wtf. I told her to switch awhile ago when I was switching over.

iOS being smooth but slow and Android being fast af but janky is so true. I still love that you can go HAM on Android, though. I miss that. And the internal file system makes life a lot easier for power users.

NeOak

the at&t G6 is 24 bucks for 30 months, they want to charge 720 for the 32 GB version. I ain't paying a $120 premium AND have their bloatware. So I'll wait for Amazon to get the unlocked without the 1000 dollar placeholder.

If you want Wi-Fi calling or VoLTE, you will have to get on all 4's and let AT&T go in for the $120.

Yo! I'm taking a ton of photos with my iPhone 7+ and man!! This camera is awesome. It's such a pleasure to use. It's super brain-dead compared to my 6P. Plus I can take a bunch of photos without it freezing up and not allowing me to take more pictures. I know the Pixel fixed the numerous photo freezing issue but I wouldn't know.

The dual lens and portrait ability of iPhone 7+ is so good. I didn't want the Plus model but now that I'm putting the camera to work, man oh man. It is splendid. Google really needs to put up with the Pixel 2. My wife tried out the camera and now she wants to switch her Nexus 5X for an iPhone 7+ wtf. I told her to switch awhile ago when I was switching over.

iOS being smooth but slow and Android being fast af but janky is so true. I still love that you can go HAM on Android, though. I miss that. And the internal file system makes life a lot easier for power users.

I've had a great phone camera since 2012 2007. Welcome to the club.

RIP Pureview Nokia N8 as my phone. I still have it. Xenon flash ftw.

reKon

Banned
I don't even have to try to take great pictures with my phone. It's so effortless that it's kind of boring. I use the fuck out that selective focus. I hope this trend continues with more phones. Hoping Huawei matches with Samsung and Apple in camera quality in low light. If they pull that off, that will give me another option phone wise.

What these users are seeing when they head to the Locations tab in Google+ is a message telling them to move to Google Maps. If they tap the button to switch to Maps, they get redirected to a help page that offers updating Google Maps because the new feature is not yet live in their current version. And if they finally tap to update Google Maps, they're redirected to the Play Store with no update in sight for Maps.

Google disables location sharing in Google+ before enabling it for everyone in Google Maps

smh

Mindwipe

Well looking at gaf threads on my iPad Air2 using Chrome scrolling seems pretty fast, as fast as I'd want it. Though I havent tried a image or animation/video heavy thread yet.

EDIT: trying another forum, which has threads full of embedded youtube links, at 40 posts per page it scrolls fast...just that its all black till the scroll stops and the loading catches up.

Go to a very long page, try to get all the way to the bottom. Android's rubber band scrolling implementation gets you there fairly easily. iOS can literally involve you sitting there and furiously scrolling for forty five seconds to get there.

It's absolutely a preference thing, but as someone who started out on iOS and came to Android it used to drive me bananas on iOS and I much prefer the Android model.

If you want Wi-Fi calling or VoLTE, you will have to get on all 4's and let AT&T go in for the $120.

I've had a great phone camera since 2012 2007. Welcome to the club.

RIP Pureview Nokia N8 as my phone. I still have it. Xenon flash ftw.
Wait. Wifi calling is exclusive to the AT&T version?

What's a good android phone with:
- Decent screen
- Great camera for photo and video
- good battery
- doesn't cost a fortune

Really don't care about anything else.
My old lgg3 would be still good enough for me but it starting to have some issues.

EmiPrime

- Decent screen
- good battery
- doesn't cost a fortune

My old lgg3 would be still good enough for me but it starting to have some issues.

You'll probably need to go to One Plus.

Mindwipe

- Decent screen
- good battery
- doesn't cost a fortune

The One Plus is probably the best match for this. Though you might be able to get an Axon 7 at this point fairly cheap.

The S7 might also be pretty cheap this week when the S8 is announced.

Top Bottom