• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

reKon

Banned
Ehh, exposure on the camera still isn't quite right, and I think it needs to move to OLED.

It is nice otherwise though.

The camera features on it are very damn impressive. I also like the material they are using for the design, but just wish it had near S8 type bezels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF-omwS74lE

I guess the main trade off here is that you get front firing speakers. They just need to do some research&development on minimizing it to have Galaxy S7 type bezels if they want to keep that.

ElNino

Has anyone had a random alarm show up that doesn't show up in the stock clock/alarm app?

Just today I noticed today on my OP3 that I have an alarm show up in the status bar every 20 minutes or so. It doesn't sound an alarm, and it doesn't send a notification, it just "expires" and updates for 20 minutes later. No new apps, so not sure what it could be. Thankfully the alarm isn't actually going off, but it's rather annoying to have it show up in the status bar and on my home screen instead of the actual alarms that I have set.

kaiyo

I just realized how close Sony was to making a God tier phone with the XZ Premium. If it weren't for those bezels and lack of finger print this scanner in the US...

Damn it Sony!
You can install international firmware pretty easily.

The front stereo speakers, and camera modules needs to go somewhere too.

Ehh, exposure on the camera still isn't quite right, and I think it needs to move to OLED.

It is nice otherwise though.

Three black levels really good on the XZ's IPS.
Probably even better with HDR
https://youtu.be/ZEl2vXdbfG8

http://m.gsmarena.com/motorola_brings_back_the_razr_with_a_moto_mod-news-24312.php

Motorola bringing back the razr... As a moto mod?

Really did love my razr back in the day. So slick.
Either April Fools, or a really thin Moto mod that makes it look like a Razr (maybe a small/light battery mod?). Maybe not even a battery but just a skin that goes on the back.

If it is a April Fools gag, it'll probably turn your phone into a flip phone or something goofy like that.

llehuty

Bless whoever decided to hide the youtube comments in the new youtube app update. So many times that I ended up reading them by accident.

Laekon

I can't believe the S7 exynos hasn't dropped in price since the S8 announcement. My hopes of getting a <5.5" phone with a great camera (OIS preferred) for $400 or less seem to gone. The S7 is around $440 and P9 $400 from trusted sites. The P9 camera isn't better and may be slightly worse then my 5X. The new Moto G5 might have the same sensor as the S7 but early reviews of the camera show it not being as good.

NeOak

I can't believe the S7 exynos hasn't dropped in price since the S8 announcement. My hopes of getting a <5.5" phone with a great camera (OIS preferred) for $400 or less seem to gone. The S7 is around $440 and P9 $400 from trusted sites. The P9 camera isn't better and may be slightly worse then my 5X. The new Moto G5 might have the same sensor as the S7 but early reviews of the camera show it not being as good.
Wait until the S8 is available?

Blackhead

Redarse
Pretty sure ios has allowed more variable resolution options and what not since iPad had splitscreen so a taller iPhone should be feasible with the current api.

Apple is generally conservative though. Might take the next major refresh in 2 years before they go tall.

Apple doesn't really have support more variable orientations but they've done this type of transition before when the iPhone 5 had a taller screen than the 4s but the same width

I figure we'll know at WWDC as Apple will want to get app makers to make their apps forward compatible with the new aspect ratio.

Supposedly Google is already trying to pressure devs to make their apps more compatible with the new 18:9 ratio.
Lol nope. Apple won't leak features of the new model. Although they'll certainly encourage developers to continue to design their apps with a flexible layout

reKon

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Zdq0AjhXo

So I just realized that this things matters to me a lot more now. If you can run any app that you run on the phone...

This means I can run PS4 remote play and just hook up the Dex adapter to a TV or monitor! One of the main reason I choose a windows tablet was for this reason, but if using Dex was a reliable option, I would probably just sell the windows tablet and either go back to a high end android tablet, 2 v 1 Chromebook OR MAYBE just maybe an iPad.

Btw when I'm talking about running remote play, I mean from two states away (I've done it before and it's awesome)

LeleSocho

Banned
I was impressed by DeX to be honest, the thing i hate is that these neat functionalities are way too short lived.
You can immediately tell that this thing will be forgot immediately with no real support in the long run and only good as a demo station.

NeOak

I was impressed by DeX to be honest, the thing i hate is that these neat functionalities are way too short lived.
You can immediately tell that this thing will be forgot immediately with no real support in the long run and only good as a demo station.

Remember this?

lapdock.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Remember this?

lapdock.jpg

Or this?

DfFztUUl.jpg

Haha, those were the weirdest days of Android. Anyway the Atrix was sent to die. The laptop dock was
(1) exclusive to AT&T
(2) cost about as much as a netbook
(3) required a separate tethering subscription i.e. AT&T wanted to charge just for plugging phone into the dock even though the dock itself didn't have any cellular or wifi capabilites.

It was insane bad value. That said, the Atrix was pretty far ahead of its time. The Atrix also had a fingerprint scanner: Apple bought the company that made the fingerprint scanner component, immediately stopped selling the component to other manufacturers, the 'invented' the feature two gens later lol.

The s8 intrigues me.

My first Android was S4. Now I'm using the Note 5 but I don't ever use the stylus so Im thinking s8 might be worth.

However, it sucks they went with the Edge models exlusively but I hope they're improved from the S6 edge - my gf had that phone and it was meh. Pictures make the s8 look sexy.

reKon

Banned
Or this?

DfFztUUl.jpg

Haha, those were the weirdest days of Android. Anyway the Atrix was sent to die. The laptop dock was
(1) exclusive to AT&T
(2) cost about as much as a netbook
(3) required a separate tethering subscription i.e. AT&T wanted to charge just for plugging phone into the dock even though the dock itself didn't have any cellular or wifi capabilites.

It was insane bad value. That said, the Atrix was pretty far ahead of its time. The Atrix also had a fingerprint scanner: Apple bought the company that made the fingerprint scanner component, immediately stopped selling the component to other manufacturers, the 'invented' the feature two gens later lol.

those bezel, god damn

ty_hot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Zdq0AjhXo

So I just realized that this things matters to me a lot more now. If you can run any app that you run on the phone...

This means I can run PS4 remote play and just hook up the Dex adapter to a TV or monitor! One of the main reason I choose a windows tablet was for this reason, but if using Dex was a reliable option, I would probably just sell the windows tablet and either go back to a high end android tablet, 2 v 1 Chromebook OR MAYBE just maybe an iPad.

Btw when I'm talking about running remote play, I mean from two states away (I've done it before and it's awesome)
Remote play with the phone? In mine I cant see the screen, I can only use the phone as a remote to change apps (and it doesnt work inside the apps lol). Is it only for Sony phones?

Preordered a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Coming from an iPhone 6S Plus, I want a smaller phone that I can one-hand.

Also want to go back to Android.

I've never used Samsung's Android, so I'm not too sure what to expect.

Before my current iPhone I had a Moto X 2014 which was basically stock Android, which I loved.

Can anyone point out the differences between stock Android from 2 years ago to what will be on the S8.

Thanks.

Pachimari

So I've decided I don't need the latest and greatest, and so I gave away my LG G3 and bought a Huawei P9 Lite for myself. I don't know if this is a downgrade or upgrade though?

It feels very nice in the hand, I like the materials, I'm impressed by the fingerprint-unlock and all the camera settings that the LG G3 didn't have.

I'm running Nova launcher and Gboard keyboard on it, so now it pretty much works like the LG G3.

Bezels are the new thing that gross me out when I see them lol. Any time new tech starts rolling in that's sooooo much better than the old I just look at the old with disdain. That's how I'll view any bezel filled phone this year.

Hasney

Bezels are the new thing that gross me out when I see them lol. Any time new tech starts rolling in that's sooooo much better than the old I just look at the old with disdain. That's how I'll view any bezel filled phone this year.

Yeah, I'm not always in that boat, but I'm the same way with bezels now. Especially as a lover of bigger phones, I could probably handle a 6.5" screen phone now.

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't like the complete lack of bezels and i like true physical home buttons but more importantly i can't stand these hacking curved screens, they are dumb.

reKon

Banned
Remote play with the phone? In mine I cant see the screen, I can only use the phone as a remote to change apps (and it doesnt work inside the apps lol). Is it only for Sony phones?

The official version only works on Sony phones. There's a modified version from XDA that you can install on any Android device, which bypasses the local wifi connection check.

Preordered a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Coming from an iPhone 6S Plus, I want a smaller phone that I can one-hand.

Also want to go back to Android.

I've never used Samsung's Android, so I'm not too sure what to expect.

Before my current iPhone I had a Moto X 2014 which was basically stock Android, which I loved.

Can anyone point out the differences between stock Android from 2 years ago to what will be on the S8.

Thanks.

TouchWiz is much better than before, but you can apply a theme to make it look like stock Android. I use the dark material theme from the Galaxy store, which is free. I use the Nova launcher instead of the TouchWiz launcher on my S7E (though it seems like the S8 launcher is closer to the Pixel launcher now).

Split screen improved to act in a similar manner to the one on stock Android. Notifications behave exactly like they do on stock Android. On my S7E there were sweet short cuts that might also be on the S8 (double tap the home button to go directly to the camera and triple tap to shrink the screen for easier one handed use).

Not sure if stock Android updates this, but the settings menu, you can actually do a search of what you're looking for by typing it at the top of the screen. Overall TouchWiz had not been a problem at all, especially after applying Nova. The only bad thing I guess is the higher ram usage, but I don't run into issues with reloading apps.

Pachimari

Hell man, my mother just rejected the LG G3 not even trying it, and just saying she didn't ask for it. The hell, that was my last surprise for her. Guess I wasted $215 on this Huawei P9 Lite.

Hasney

My mum just called me since she's eligible for an upgrade from her Xperia Z3. She said she was looking at the OnePlus 3T and since she'd never heard of them, called me to make sure. I said go for it since it's carrier based so she won't have to deal with their customer service for 2 years. Got a day to call it off if it's a bad move, so good call?

Jeffrey

My mum just called me since she's eligible for an upgrade from her Xperia Z3. She said she was looking at the OnePlus 3T and since she'd never heard of them, called me to make sure. I said go for it since it's carrier based so she won't have to deal with their customer service for 2 years. Got a day to call it off if it's a bad move, so good call?
Wait there is a carrier branded one plus 3t? Thought they were only unlocked.

Got my OnePlus 3T in midnight black. Lol at them including a free case that has "exclusive gift" in small writing on the back. Why would you even write that on the case instead of the logo or something else?

Changed my mind about the "Edge" just tried out the S8 in my local Best Buy and the phone is gorgeous. The Edge feels great and swiping over the edge of the screen is so smooth. The phone feels amazing in the hand and I had no issues typing with it, couldn't get a feel for sliding the shade with one hand since it had one of those locks on it. The huge screen is just so amazing to look at and yet the phone is only slightly bigger than my iPhone 7.

Ugh I really want one now or I hope the iPhone is very similar to it.

USA isn't the only country in the world.
What? European isn't a U.S territory??
Got my OnePlus 3T in midnight black. Lol at them including a free case that has "exclusive gift" in small writing on the back. Why would you even write that on the case instead of the logo or something else?
I got charged for mine early this morning. It's expected to dispatch on April 10th. I also bought the screen protector as well. I'll be joining you soon.

Joe

Anyone know where I can get reliable reviews of Nougat performance on the Moto G4? It just released and all the Google results are just press release articles.

Jeffrey

Anyone know where I can get reliable reviews of Nougat performance on the Moto G4? It just released and all the Google results are just press release articles.
Rule of thumb of phone updates. Worst performance worst battery life!

Quasar

I love the idea and have long thought it's the future. Too bad Android isn't really a very good desktop OS and Windows failed to get enough market share. Continuum was a great idea.

Man, the S8+ is a joy to hold. It just melts into my hand and it's actually slightly smaller and skinnier than my 6P so one handed use is too easy. Samsung's UI isn't too offensive to me, although if it was stock this phone would've been god like. Well, scratch that, I don't know what the battery life is like. But I really like the phone.

So no dissenting voices against the OnePlus 3T? Good to hear.
All I've seen for the most part are people raving about it. I've seen complaints about software such as bricking out of the box and Bluetooth issues, but mostly people jus love the phone. I've stalked the subreddit as well and seen nothing of major concern. I'm also getting one so I can give my impressions if you even consider it worthwhile.

reKon

Banned
One Plus need to just keep improving battery just a bit and the camera a lot while removing more bezel. I would love if they kept the 5.5 inch screen, but got it down to a 5 inch phone size, if they decided to remove the home button.

I wonder how the Mi 6 is going to look.

One Plus need to just keep improving battery just a bit and the camera a lot while removing more bezel. I would love if they kept the 5.5 inch screen, but got it down to a 5 inch phone size, if they decided to remove the home button.

I wonder how the Mi 6 is going to look.
Ewwww a little rectangular toy.

Top Bottom