• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

Hey guys, I have a little question.

Just arrived to the states yesterday, and I haven't managed to get any signal with my main SIM card from my Honor 6x. The network option is set in automatic and it can't find anything. If I set it to manual, after a long time, 2 will appear (T-mobile 2G and 3G), but it gives an error after a long time of trying.

The funny thing, my secondary sim with a crappy data plan that I don't want to use, finds a network (and I have that one with itinerancy deactivated).

I tried reboot, activating/deactivating plane mode, activating/deactiviting each SIM, but it's still not working. I can survive on hotel wifi,but still anoyed...

Any ideas?

If you're secondary sim can connect then at least we know your Honor 6x has the necessary bands. It sounds like your primary cellular carrier from home doesn't have a roaming agreement, or the plan that you're on isn't provisioned for international roaming. I would check with your carrier.

Another option is getting a prepaid sim card with a US number while you're here.

Jeffrey

Hey guys, I have a little question.

Just arrived to the states yesterday, and I haven't managed to get any signal with my main SIM card from my Honor 6x. The network option is set in automatic and it can't find anything. If I set it to manual, after a long time, 2 will appear (T-mobile 2G and 3G), but it gives an error after a long time of trying.

The funny thing, my secondary sim with a crappy data plan that I don't want to use, finds a network (and I have that one with itinerancy deactivated).

I tried reboot, activating/deactivating plane mode, activating/deactiviting each SIM, but it's still not working. I can survive on hotel wifi,but still anoyed...

Any ideas?

Probably roaming issues. Honor 6x is a gsm phone so go to AT&T or t mobile and get a prepaid data card.

Jeffrey

K s8 is gonna be my first modern Samsung phone. What bloatware are worth my time?

I hear Samsung pay gives you offers all the time? Do any of those performance booster controls actually do anything?

Wireless charging worth investing into?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
K s8 is gonna be my first modern Samsung phone. What bloatware are worth my time?

I hear Samsung pay gives you offers all the time? Do any of those performance booster controls actually do anything?

Samsung pay is the best mobile pay in existence.

The rest of the bloat is sorta worthless unless it's the S Pen stuff on the Note.

Wireless charging pads are awesome, but don't feel like you need to rush out and get one if taking 2 secs plugging in isn't an issue.

Personally I'd wait till you see the charging pad go on sale.

IronRaven

I'm so jealous of you right now. I'm just sitting here with my Nexus 6P knowing I have to keep this thing alive for as long as possible. Phones aren't cheap. :/

just install a launcher and ignore all samsung apps imo.

Also, the Android market claims another victim:
Huawei has spent the better part of the past two years gunning to become the next smartphone king. But the Chinese handset maker’s annual report for 2016 revealed a plunge in profit growth, marking a plateau to the company’s fast ascent. The drag in growth tells a familiar lesson—you can be king (or crown prince, rather) of Android smartphones for a day, but not for a lifetime.

But as Huawei continues to sell more phones, its devices have become less profitable as greater competition has required them to spend more spending on marketing. The new darlings of the China smartphone market are now Oppo and Vivo, which have spread across China and Southeast Asia with aggressive marketing, a savvy retail sales strategy and competitive pricing.

If you're too lazy to read it all, it's the same story. They grew really quickly, plateau'd too fast, got caught up in the race to the bottom, and now the next chinese company is beating them where that growth occurred. They're making lots of money but their growth has halted.

Not being able to crack the US market does damage man. Apple and Samsung running game in that (mostly Apple). No one else can get in it seems.

I'm so jealous of you right now. I'm just sitting here with my Nexus 6P knowing I have to keep this thing alive for as long as possible. Phones aren't cheap. :/

Luckily the Nexus 6P is a damn good phone and if I didn't completely destroy mine, I'd still be using it and loving it.

Try going back to the HTC M8 after that while you wait for the S8 to be released. THAT'S rough :(

Jeffrey

Wonder if Samsung has any proprietary charging tech in the works. Feels like all the China players got something.

Maybe the note 7 fiasco got them wary, but quick charge 2.0 is pretty inefficient these days and phones get quite hot.

Laekon

just install a launcher and ignore all samsung apps imo.

Also, the Android market claims another victim:

If you're too lazy to read it all, it's the same story. They grew really quickly, plateau'd too fast, got caught up in the race to the bottom, and now the next chinese company is beating them where that growth occurred. They're making lots of money but their growth has halted.

Not being able to crack the US market does damage man. Apple and Samsung running game in that (mostly Apple). No one else can get in it seems.

Think they are in a tough position. While it's easy to say they have to many models (brands?) and should have spent more in marketing those fewer phones that might not really work in China. Is OnePlus doing well in Asia? OnePlus and Google are the only ones providing a focused line up like Apple.

Do we already have Store launchers with on-screen buttons ala S8? I likely will go with a custom launcher over Samsung's. I'm just afraid none will do the dimensions of the phone justice. Luckily with how popular the phones are they're likely to make updates right?

Vanillalite

Hawaii released too many damn similar phones both between their main brand and their Honor sub brand.

Pair down the lineup and they'd perform better.

Quixzlizx

Hawaii released too many damn similar phones both between their main brand and their Honor sub brand.

Pair down the lineup and they'd perform better.

Yeah, knowing they have a dozen phones causes me to care about none of them. I don't have the time to figure out all the minute differences.

Jeffrey

Do we already have Store launchers with on-screen buttons ala S8? I likely will go with a custom launcher over Samsung's. I'm just afraid none will do the dimensions of the phone justice. Luckily with how popular the phones are they're likely to make updates right?
Store launcher?

Stuff like nova launcher already supports arbitrary resolutions like for tablets so it should work fine on s8.

Unlike ios Android apps are generally designed for arbitrary resolutions. Most should fill out the s8 or g6 just fine without updates.

Mostly games and 16:9 video will naturally have black bars.

Samsung pay is the best mobile pay in existence.

The rest of the bloat is sorta worthless unless it's the S Pen stuff on the Note.

Wireless charging pads are awesome, but don't feel like you need to rush out and get one if taking 2 secs plugging in isn't an issue.

Personally I'd wait till you see the charging pad go on sale.

this.

i got mine cheap and it's great.

Jeffrey

my mom needed an iphone for work, so I gave her my 6s plus and got back the axon 7.

With it updated to 7.1.1... shit is easily my fav 2016 phone .

Performance is snappy. still not a huge fan of their skin, but its really only noticeable in the notifications and settings. put nova and your good.

supports daydream now and them loud stereo speakers... increasingly a rarity.

For a phone thats frequently on sale under $400.... Really curious what zte is bringing for 2017.

no more of that kickstarter bullshit please.

my mom needed an iphone for work, so I gave her my 6s plus and got back the axon 7.

With it updated to 7.1.1... shit is easily my fav 2016 phone .

Performance is snappy. still not a huge fan of their skin, but its really only noticeable in the notifications and settings. put nova and your good.

supports daydream now and them loud stereo speakers... increasingly a rarity.

For a phone thats frequently on sale under $400.... Really curious what zte is bringing for 2017.

no more of that kickstarter bullshit please.

My fav 2016 phone too. Regret selling mine. Those speakers and screen were excellent. When I sold mine the development community wasn't what it is now though.

not the same camera sensor as last year

Erica Griffin said:
HQHWKp6.jpg

Vanillalite

S8 snapdragon 835 antutu benchmark 164692, bleh

To be expected.

Samsung software struggles on benchmarks and in general Qualcomm sucks at benchmarks. Most of the overall benchmarks (vs individual) are seeing mainly GPU gains.

That Apple A11 10nm chip gonna shit on this from high. As it is the 835 is barely hanging with the A10 except for the GPU.

Samsung winning the screen game, but everywhere else is sorta meh outside of the camera.

Benchmarks is so fucking stupid. Anyone who puts clout in benchmarks needs to get a life. The 625 proves benchmarks is literally for nerds with no life.

reKon

Banned
Benchmarks is so fucking stupid. Anyone who puts clout in benchmarks needs to get a life. The 625 proves benchmarks is literally for nerds with no life.

as long as phones are fast enough, then w/e.

I guarantee that if I had my Xperia Z3 Compact with me, it would be still running butter smooth.

But I'm also not the type to have 20 apps in background and get pissed when I can't reload the 18th one that I used 3 hours ago (I know some of you fuckers here would).

Quasar

No bezel at the bottom makes it the most unusable phone ever

Why exactly? I'm not sure no bezel there makes it worse than other places. I actually though no side bezels would be worse as that's where I grip things. Well unless its got good palm rejection detection.

Vanillalite

I haven't used the 625 enough to know.

BUT last year's Moto G with the 617 was fine yet still noticably slower. Ask Kingroin who recently went from his Moto G4 to a GS7 that his work gave him.

Said the performance was night and day.

That being said at the high end I'm not sure how much functionally faster the 835 is over the 820 in real world use.

LeleSocho

Banned
I haven't used the 625 enough to know.

BUT last year's Moto G with the 617 was fine yet still noticably slower. Ask Kingroin who recently went from his Moto G4 to a GS7 that his work gave him.

Said the performance was night and day.

That being said at the high end I'm not sure how much functionally faster the 835 is over the 820 in real world use.

Snap625 (and any other cpu that has eight Cortex A53 cores) is virtually indistinguishable from highest end processors in real world performance.

Vanillalite

Here is a comparison between pixel and moto G5 plus.

App bootup and memory management is pretty similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItTd4FFMsmw
These days file read write speeds are generally more important

Ehhh it doesn't really show memory management, and ever since the switch to art a lot of boot performance is solved during the download/install.

Not to say the G5 Plus isn't solid. It's way faster than the G4 Plus after checking some reviews. Guess the 625 is 14nm vs 617 being 28nm. So the smaller processor allowed them to clock up the cores a fuck ton.

Bigger issue I have is mid range Qualcomm arm designs are a step up from the low end 4XX series. The adreno gpus aren't though. GPU performance on the 6XX series chips aren't much better than the 4XX series. So it's either low end or high end in the 8XX series. They need a better mid range gpu option.

Also I was hoping lpddr4 wouldn't still feel so "new" and be cheap enough to proliferate down into non flagship chips.

RuGalz

Wish G5 Plus US version had nfc. I want to get rid of Honor 8 so badly. Hopefully OnePlus 4 can shrink the bezels so it's about the size of 5.2inch phones. I'm still amazed how fast OG OnePlus is every time I pick that up. Using it as my replacement for Nexus 7 until a decent and inexpensive 7 to 8 inches table comes out.

LogicStep

So I downloaded the Samsung browser and wow is it smooth and fast. Much better than chrome. Question though. How do I change the notification bar to black?

Jeffrey

Wish G5 Plus US version had nfc. I want to get rid of Honor 8 so badly. Hopefully OnePlus 4 can shrink the bezels so it's about the size of 5.2inch phones. I'm still amazed how fast OG OnePlus is every time I pick that up. Using it as my replacement for Nexus 7 until a decent and inexpensive 7 to 8 inches table comes out.

It's hard to get the op3 smaller width wise. Barely any bezels there already lol. I guess they could Samsung curve it a little to get it thinner.

So I downloaded the Samsung browser and wow is it smooth and fast. Much better than chrome. Question though. How do I change the notification bar to black?

Not from what I can tell. Samsung TouchWiz for ya.

I've generally been using Chrome beta these days without an issue.

But I generally just use the browser for gaf, which is smooth and quick in mobile mode even on 2g lol.

New HTC phone leaks. http://m.gsmarena.com/htc_u_ocean_leak_reveals_pressuresensitive_frame-news-24343.php

It's like the HTC u ultra doesn't exist lol.

RuGalz

It's hard to get the op3 smaller width wise. Barely any bezels there already lol. I guess they could Samsung curve it a little to get it thinner.

height is the bigger problem fitting it in some of my pants when the phone is larger than 5.2in. I don't mind if they get rid of the buttons and move finger print to the back center, in fact that's preferable.

Top Bottom