• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Smh the s8 demo unit at at&t store was laggy as fuck lol.

S8+ was smooth but both are default at 1080p and won't let you go into the options.

Samsung pls.

So no dissenting voices against the OnePlus 3T? Good to hear.

I've had mine since November. Sure it would be nice to have waterproofing but that's about all i would feel to add beside the obvious screen and camera improvements all new phone revisions get.

Dash charging is really great. And large internal storage if you get the 128gb version solves the headache of android's crappy sd card handling. Did my head in on my old Sony phone having some apps that wouldn't move to external storage, or they would auto update and go back to internal storage.

No way could i go back to a 16gb phone.

I played with an S8 and S8+ and the fingerprint location is truly the dumbest thing I've seen on a smartphone in a while. Also the phones are too tall. Performance was typical samsung fare. Meaning it was mostly fast but you don't have to travel far to find hiccups and whatnot but I also don't know what they had running on it. This wasn't a store model. Limited bezels on the front was beautifuls tho. Good screen too but that's expected.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll be interested to see if OnePlus goes 18:9 or sticks with the traditional 16:9 aspect ratio. Ditto with Google and the Pixel 2.

I played with an S8 and S8+ and the fingerprint location is truly the dumbest thing I've seen on a smartphone in a while. Also the phones are too tall. Performance was typical samsung fare. Meaning it was mostly fast but you don't have to travel far to find hiccups and whatnot but I also don't know what they had running on it. This wasn't a store model. Limited bezels on the front was beautifuls tho. Good screen too but that's expected.
Too tall? I thought it was great.

Jeffrey

I'll be interested to see if OnePlus goes 18:9 or sticks with the traditional 16:9 aspect ratio. Ditto with Google and the Pixel 2.

Doubt it. Takes more time to steal! I bet 2018 will be where all flagships have weird screens.

Like I can't imagine galaxy s9 not having stereo speakers.

Vanillalite

I think it's kinda shitty that LG isn't even including headphones with the G6. Yeah usually included earbuds suck, but it's just another cheap move by LG IMO.

Too tall? I thought it was great.

Feels great in the hand.

It's too tall for apps though. Everything is designed for wider screens. So either you stretch to fit or deal with black bars.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's probably more narrow to feel better to hold. Makes sense to me. Frankly, I miss the OG Note aspect ratio. That was boss. Though difficult to hold.

Only a handful of us know about the OG Note before the Note series caught fire.

Jeffrey

I think it's kinda shitty that LG isn't even including headphones with the G6. Yeah usually included earbuds suck, but it's just another cheap move by LG IMO.

Feels great in the hand.

It's too tall for apps though. Everything is designed for wider screens. So either you stretch to fit or deal with black bars.

im still not seeing where you are coming from for this. Besides video and games, 'content' apps generally are vertical scrolling list stuff which a taller screen has its benefits.

I can see it being harder to reach the top areas with 1 hand, but it never was that easy in the past with larger phones anyways.

Borders on games and videos I can live with, especially with OLED screen and black front bezels, watching a youtube video on the demo devices didnt' bother me.

It's probably more narrow to feel better to hold. Makes sense to me. Frankly, I miss the OG Note aspect ratio. That was boss. Though difficult to hold.

Only a handful of us know about the OG Note before the Note series caught fire.

lol wasn't it basically a ipad mini mini?

Vanillalite

im still not seeing where you are coming from for this. Besides video and games, 'content' apps generally are vertical scrolling list stuff which a taller screen has its benefits.

I can see it being harder to reach the top areas with 1 hand, but it never was that easy in the past with larger phones anyways.

Borders on games and videos I can live with, especially with OLED screen and black front bezels, watching a youtube video on the demo devices didnt' bother me.

Scrolling might be better, but content is then pushed into being more verticle.

Instead of having it be like

Xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

It's

Xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx Xxxxxxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx Xxxxxxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

You're not actually displaying more content as the total surface area of the phone display isn't actually larger. It's just taller and they can say "bigger" just by touting the aspect ratio/diagonal.

So either you end up with black bars which means you're wasting screen space or else your just elongating content without actually displaying more. Plus UI design isn't made for the aspect ratio.

this_guy

It's

Xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx Xxxxxxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx Xxxxxxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

You're not actually displaying more content as the total surface area of the phone display isn't actually larger. It's just taller and they can say "bigger" just by touting the aspect ratio/diagonal.

So either you end up with black bars which means you're wasting screen space or else your just elongating content without actually displaying more. Plus UI design isn't made for the aspect ratio.

Isn't the horizontal resolution the same as normal screen phones? So content shouldn't get narrower?

Vanillalite

Isn't the horizontal resolution the same as normal screen phones? So content shouldn't get narrower?

Horizontal should be the same?

Like a line of text won't be any bigger or smaller on a S7 vs a s8 in vertical orientation.

That works until apps are updated, but then your just looking at a smaller screen.

Like it's not like Samsung took the Edge and added verticle height. They instead chopped off horizontal to make it skinnier.

So in that case you might see more GAF posts, but each post would be smaller.

Jeffrey

That works until apps are updated, but then your just looking at a smaller screen.

Like it's not like Samsung took the Edge and added verticle height. They instead chopped off horizontal to make it skinnier.

So in that case you might see more GAF posts, but each post would be smaller.
It shouldn't be any more or less of a s8 plus vs a S7 edge though?

Aren't the S7 edge and s8 plus basically the same width?

Vanillalite

It shouldn't be any more or less of a s8 plus vs a S7 edge though?

Aren't the S7 edge and s8 plus basically the same width?

Yes but keep in mind Samsung is touting the regular S8 as 5.7" which on paper for people would be bigger on the stat sheet than the 5.5" of the Edge.

I was able to get my hands on an LG G6 (in a Verizon store) and a Samsung S8+ (Best Buy). The S8 was already set to the higher resolution in the options. The screen was gorgeous. They even had example videos in the 2:1 aspect ratio.... which was kind of a tease because you'll never actually find videos like that.

Still, the screen was gorgeous and the curve didn't really bother me all that much.

I pre-ordered the orchid gray.

Now I wait.....

longdi

Banned
Man, the S8+ is a joy to hold. It just melts into my hand and it's actually slightly smaller and skinnier than my 6P so one handed use is too easy. Samsung's UI isn't too offensive to me, although if it was stock this phone would've been god like. Well, scratch that, I don't know what the battery life is like. But I really like the phone.

You can theme it from their theme store, to look like stock (dark theme) for free.

What? European isn't a U.S territory??

I got charged for mine early this morning. It's expected to dispatch on April 10th. I also bought the screen protector as well. I'll be joining you soon.

Congrats. It really is a great phone. Plus dev community will keep it alive along time. Also if you have T-Mobile it has WiFi calling and volte.

Jeffrey

from my limited experience with the demo unit... i will not be surprised at all if pixel or oneplus 3t smokes the s8 in those 'speed tests'

at least the snapdragon variant.

from my limited experience with the demo unit... i will not be surprised at all if pixel or oneplus 3t smokes the s8 in those 'speed tests'

The exynos s8 benchmarks were slightly better than the OnePlus 3t in antutu. I'm done with Samsung. I'm excited to see the Axon 8 and next Oneplus phone. Hope ZTE announced the axon 8 soon.

I was able to get my hands on an LG G6 (in a Verizon store) and a Samsung S8+ (Best Buy). The S8 was already set to the higher resolution in the options. The screen was gorgeous. They even had example videos in the 2:1 aspect ratio.... which was kind of a tease because you'll never actually find videos like that.

Still, the screen was gorgeous and the curve didn't really bother me all that much.

I pre-ordered the orchid gray.

Now I wait.....

you can find some Netflix and Amazon content with that AR

Vanillalite

The exynos s8 benchmarks were slightly better than the OnePlus 3t in antutu. I'm done with Samsung. I'm excited to see the Axon 8 and next Oneplus phone. Hope ZTE announced the axon 8 soon.

Bigger issue for me is my most used app is Chrome by far, and yet Chrome/General Web Browsing benchmsrks still lag behind iOS even on faster phones like the Pixel and OnePlus.

Google needs to put some mad work into mobile Chrome to compete especially since the latest version of iOS helped Safari even more.

Obviously scrolling is its own issue.

I'm not sure the 835 in the GS8 or even the OP4 will do much to fix things. Feels like a Google issue with Chrome/Android.

ty_hot

The next OnePlus will have a 18:9 screen for sure. They can advertise it as a bigger screen while being smaller. Their phones have great marketable specs, but to keep the price low they have to save some money in other parts. My 3T cant download faster than 200mpbs (i have a 300 connection, worked full speed in a 6p), the screen is pentile, the Bluetooth isnt perfect (i dont have problems with it for a while though). Having a smaller screen that seems bigger is great for them. Then they can even jump the resolution without impacting much in the battery (smaller area). It just makes sense that all phones come to this aspect ratio, but I still dont think its great for users besides looking more modern/even futuristic.

You can theme it from their theme store, to look like stock (dark theme) for free.
I meant actual ui.
Congrats. It really is a great phone. Plus dev community will keep it alive along time. Also if you have T-Mobile it has WiFi calling and volte.
Even on the $30 plan?
Bigger issue for me is my most used app is Chrome by far, and yet Chrome/General Web Browsing benchmsrks still lag behind iOS even on faster phones like the Pixel and OnePlus.

Google needs to put some mad work into mobile Chrome to compete especially since the latest version of iOS helped Safari even more.

Obviously scrolling is its own issue.

I'm not sure the 835 in the GS8 or even the OP4 will do much to fix things. Feels like a Google issue with Chrome/Android.
What is it about chrome that causes this?

I meant actual ui.

Even on the $30 plan?

What is it about chrome that causes this?

Anandtech has repeatedly called out Google on not optimising Chrome - I know Qualcomm used to release a snapdragon optimised Chromium build.

I guess Google just never wanted to show favouritism toward particular processor architectures. At least that was my understanding of the situation.

ty_hot

Glad 1st of April is gone, but Google Now keep recommending me shit 1st of April Jokes/News. Seriously, I got 4 of them since yday, got one more now...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It's

Xxxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx Xxxxxxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx Xxxxxxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

Nonsense. At least the ones in store right now.

As the company that makes Chrome, it's pretty shameful that 2 generation old iPhones *feel* like they have better web browsing performance than a Google Pixel

Bboy AJ

As the company that makes Chrome, it's pretty shameful that 2 generation old iPhones *feel* like they have better web browsing performance than a Google Pixel
True. I don't use Chrome on iOS because it's at a disadvantage compared to Safari.

Apple is smooth and slow. Android is fast and janky af but you can go HAM and it's awesome. I think I prefer Android web browsing tbh. Although Android web browsing is killer on the battery.

this_guy

ZTE did a great job with software support on Axon 7. If they can improve the camera (especially low light) I'll definitely consider them.

True. I don't use Chrome on iOS because it's at a disadvantage compared to Safari.

Apple is smooth and slow. Android is fast and janky af but you can go HAM and it's awesome. I think I prefer Android web browsing tbh. Although Android web browsing is killer on the battery.

Was Chrome version 57+ supposed to better for battery life? Or is that only on laptops?

Groof

yo if samsung had to include a notification to clean your camera from fingerprints as a solution to the fingerprint sensor placement they should've just rethought the entire design

yo if samsung had to include a notification to clean your camera from fingerprints as a solution to the fingerprint sensor placement they should've just rethought the entire design
but how else can they be first!!!!!1!1

Samsung doesn't care about user experience they just care about checking off checkboxes on a spec list.

llehuty

Hey guys, I have a little question.

Just arrived to the states yesterday, and I haven't managed to get any signal with my main SIM card from my Honor 6x. The network option is set in automatic and it can't find anything. If I set it to manual, after a long time, 2 will appear (T-mobile 2G and 3G), but it gives an error after a long time of trying.

The funny thing, my secondary sim with a crappy data plan that I don't want to use, finds a network (and I have that one with itinerancy deactivated).

I tried reboot, activating/deactivating plane mode, activating/deactiviting each SIM, but it's still not working. I can survive on hotel wifi,but still anoyed...

Any ideas?

kharma45

The next OnePlus will have a 18:9 screen for sure. They can advertise it as a bigger screen while being smaller. Their phones have great marketable specs, but to keep the price low they have to save some money in other parts. My 3T cant download faster than 200mpbs (i have a 300 connection, worked full speed in a 6p), the screen is pentile, the Bluetooth isnt perfect (i dont have problems with it for a while though). Having a smaller screen that seems bigger is great for them. Then they can even jump the resolution without impacting much in the battery (smaller area). It just makes sense that all phones come to this aspect ratio, but I still dont think its great for users besides looking more modern/even futuristic.
They also save costs on having absolutely fucking shite after sales support.

Husker86

I had no idea Samsung's browser was available for everyone on the app store. Damn it's smooth. I really wish Chrome would improve.

Even on the $30 plan?

Not sure. I thought those features were with any T-Mobile plan.

ZTE did a great job with software support on Axon 7. If they can improve the camera (especially low light) I'll definitely consider them.

Yeah, Axon 7 is my favorite phone hardware wise from 2016 for the price. The dual speakers were awesome. Hopefully they keep it open for unlocking and friendly to the mod community.

Top Bottom