• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Xeno_V

Yes, that happens. It's because the app is a piece of shit. Just be happy they're not accidentally draining everyones battery with a server setting again!

So they are aware of this and they don't even bother to fix it? This has been going on for a few months but now it's seriously getting on my nerves :/.

The God

Are there any benefits to buying a US unlocked phone besides getting it cheaper than through a carrier?

and buying unlocked means I could take it to a carrier of my choice to get a plan, right?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are there any benefits to buying a US unlocked phone besides getting it cheaper than through a carrier?

and buying unlocked means I could take it to a carrier of my choice to get a plan, right?

Depends. The phone has to support the bands.

Plus certain features aren't available like wifi calling if you don't get say the AT&T variant for AT&T service.

Plus with so many deals going around usually on high end phones it's not really cheaper anyway.

Are there any other 6GB phones planning on coming out this year with water resistance? I might consider getting the HTC U11 6GB so I can be set for the next year/year and a half.

Furyous

What's the best UK retailer to order a phone from to be delivered in the USA?

Now it's come down to decision time on a flagship for me with everything out. I'm leaning towards Sony because of the placement of the fingerprint sensor, their contributions to AOSP, and launching with Android Oreo which gives users a minimum two more OS updates.

The G6 feels okay in the hand but it's a little bit big for me. In terms of specs it's missing the IR blaster, wireless fast charging and Daydream support. Of the devices available with everything considered it meets 60 percent of my extensive spec requirements.

The V30 looks like the best device released this year. Damn paying $900 for something that won't get the OS update three years from now, allegedly.

The S8/S8+ are non starters due to Samsung slowdown, bloat, and fingerprint sensor placement.

Huawei Honor 9 is my favorite device of the year but they bastardize android with their design choices and their update history scares me.

The Mi 6 lacks a headphone jack and brutalized the notification system, allegedly.

The U11 is too bland for me, 5.5 inches, and I'm not sure HTC will be around in two years.

What device would you buy if you were me?

---

Favorite OEMs in an order that switches constantly:

Huawei - Yes, their skin sucks and they have poor customer service with emmc vs ufs issue earlier this year. But their hardware is cheap later on in the year.

LG - Great hardware recently with a boot loop past that's kinda scary and their Android update history leaves something to be desired

Sony - Meh hardware but solid fingerprint sensor location, easily the best dev support outside of Google, fastest update history, six month non-compact flagship update cycle, and cheaper priced devices in January. They are literally the only OEM that offers a compact flagship so that's the only reason I consider them.

kaiyo

Now it's come down to decision time on a flagship for me with everything out. I'm leaning towards Sony because of the placement of the fingerprint sensor, their contributions to AOSP, and launching with Android Oreo which gives users a minimum two more OS updates.

The G6 feels okay in the hand but it's a little bit big for me. In terms of specs it's missing the IR blaster, wireless fast charging and Daydream support. Of the devices available with everything considered it meets 60 percent of my extensive spec requirements.

The V30 looks like the best device released this year. Damn paying $900 for something that won't get the OS update three years from now, allegedly.

The S8/S8+ are non starters due to Samsung slowdown, bloat, and fingerprint sensor placement.

Huawei Honor 9 is my favorite device of the year but they bastardize android with their design choices and their update history scares me.

The Mi 6 lacks a headphone jack and brutalized the notification system, allegedly.

The U11 is too bland for me, 5.5 inches, and I'm not sure HTC will be around in two years.

---

Huawei - Yes, their skin sucks and they have poor customer service with emmc vs ufs issue earlier this year. But their hardware is cheap later on in the year.

LG - Great hardware recently with a boot loop past that's kinda scary and their Android update history leaves something to be desired

Sony - Meh hardware but solid fingerprint sensor location, easily the best dev support outside of Google, fastest update history, six month non-compact flagship update cycle, and cheaper priced devices in January. They are literally the only OEM that offers a compact flagship so that's the only reason I consider them.
Order from clove.co.uk

Umm... meh hardware?

reKon

Banned
Order from clove.co.uk

Umm... meh hardware?

Dated design, water resistance advantage has gone away, competitors have better cameras for low light performance, and battery capacity has no longer been a priority.

Those are the things I see at least. Just not as exciting as past efforts.

Hasney

I think Sony would still be seen as fairly exciting if they kept the ridiculous battery life of the Z3, but it kept going down with every model.

Furyous

Order from clove.co.uk

Umm... meh hardware?

The biggest standout feature of the new Xperia devices lie in the battery life of the XZ1C.

Absent the HDR display and 3D Creator app the XZ1 is missing compared to the competition:

Dual camera setup (P Series/G series/V30/G5S+/Honor 9)
Manual video mode (V30, Huawei devices, G6 series)
Daydream support (S8/S8+/Note 8/V30)
wireless charging (G series/S8 series)
wireless fast charging (S8)
Wide angle rear facing camera (Huawei devices and G6/G6+)
Quad mics (V30)
Hifi dac (G series/V30/U11?)
IR Blaster (P10+/Honor 9)

The new xperias are, some say overpriced, basic no frills devices that run stock android. That should suffice for Jane Schmane consumer that just wants a flagship to do basic stuff. The G6+ goes for $572 on eBay under the estimated $600 price of the XZ1 Compact in the US.

Mindwipe

I think Sony would still be seen as fairly exciting if they kept the ridiculous battery life of the Z3, but it kept going down with every model.

Couldn't be helped tbh, a significant part of it was management of bad applications (including Google Play Services...). Google put the kibosh on that pretty bloody hard in the Marshmallow Compatibility Test Suite rules.

Was offered a Huawei p9 for cheap so I said why not? My nexus 5x battery was dying after I look the internet during my lunch break at work and I needed something with a screen on time in hours and not minutes.

Only problem with the P9 was updates where carrier locked and the carrier hasnt released a update for it since June 2016 and didnt look likely it would ever be updated though them.

So I spent the last 2 hours debranding the OS back to stock and the joys of bootloaders unlocking, flashing things recovering other things and I cant say I care for all that.

But its done and I am DLing the latest update, I didnt brick it and I feel good. Feels good to be off stock android. Between Nexus and Moto-G's I have pretty much been with the same UI since the Nexus S

dcll

Banned
Does anyone know of a way to keep Google Play Music from auto playing via bluetooth when it connects to my car stereo? Most of the time I am listening to podcasts and when I occasionally listen to music it will constantly autoplay, it is very annoying

To add on to what others already said, not all phones are available on all carriers.

T-Mobile just recently got a Motorola phone, but it's that mediocre (at least from what I read) new Z Force phone.

Losing WiFi-calling is a bummer, I used it quite a bit when I was traveling in Europe, but other than that I never use it. If I ever travel abroad again I'll probably get a cheap phone that supports wifi calling (like an iPhone SE or something).

Jeffrey

Contest details mention V30 will be $750 in the US. Seems like a solid $400 phone for the holidays.

To add on to what others already said, not all phones are available on all carriers.

T-Mobile just recently got a Motorola phone, but it's that mediocre (at least from what I read) new Z Force phone.

Losing WiFi-calling is a bummer, I used it quite a bit when I was traveling in Europe, but other than that I never use it. If I ever travel abroad again I'll probably get a cheap phone that supports wifi calling (like an iPhone SE or something).

Luckily tmobile has the advantage of most unlocked phones with the right hardware supports wifi calling. Have success on oneplus phones zte. Pixel. Heard it works fine on essential.

AT&T only supports carrier Android phones and iphones. Same for Verizon I think.

linkboy

It really depends. I prefer Nexus\Pixel phones, so I've been buying them unlocked since the Nexus 4.

I prefer having them for stock android, the rootability factor and the fact that I can move carriers (both postpaid and prepaid) freely.

I currently have my Pixel XL on T-Mobile and I'm more then happy with it.

Luckily tmobile has the advantage of most unlocked phones with the right hardware supports wifi calling. Have success on oneplus phones zte. Pixel. Heard it works fine on essential.
Oh, that's good to know going forward. Sadly the Z Play doesn't support wifi calling, but with any luck more Motorola phones will start coming to Tmo, or at least the ones that have great battery life.

I can always hang on to my S7 Edge for a while so I can keep wifi calling (and a better camera), but like I mentioned I never have wifi calling turned on. The call quality is occasionally better, but in my apartment it's more susceptible to dropping calls too.

And another irritation is that when it's turned on there's an icon in the notification bar that never goes away.

Does WiFi calling still use minutes in a Tmo prepaid plan?
Sadly, I think they do.

I didn't think they did, but searching their website I found this little bit of info:
If you have a plan that doesn't offer unlimited calling, calls made over Wi-Fi Calling count against your plan minutes. For Pay In Advance prepaid lines, calls made over Wi-Fi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls.

If you have a plan with unlimited calling, you at least get free roaming when using wifi calling (which is the main reason I like it).

kaiyo

The biggest standout feature of the new Xperia devices lie in the battery life of the XZ1C.

Absent the HDR display and 3D Creator app the XZ1 is missing compared to the competition:

Dual camera setup (P Series/G series/V30/G5S+/Honor 9)
Manual video mode (V30, Huawei devices, G6 series)
Daydream support (S8/S8+/Note 8/V30)
wireless charging (G series/S8 series)
wireless fast charging (S8)
Wide angle rear facing camera (Huawei devices and G6/G6+)
Quad mics (V30)
Hifi dac (G series/V30/U11?)
IR Blaster (P10+/Honor 9)

The new xperias are, some say overpriced, basic no frills devices that run stock android. That should suffice for Jane Schmane consumer that just wants a flagship to do basic stuff. The G6+ goes for $572 on eBay under the estimated $600 price of the XZ1 Compact in the US.
Wow how many phones is that?

Quixzlizx

Sadly, I think they do.

I didn't think they did, but searching their website I found this little bit of info:
If you have a plan that doesn't offer unlimited calling, calls made over Wi-Fi Calling count against your plan minutes. For Pay In Advance prepaid lines, calls made over Wi-Fi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls.

If you have a plan with unlimited calling, you at least get free roaming when using wifi calling (which is the main reason I like it).

Damn. So it was only really useful when I lived in a basement apartment that didn't get reception (I didn't have wifi calling then).

LG did a great job with the V30 hardware. Can easily make you forget you're buying an LG phone until you remember a few months down the line :p

Jeffrey

Oh, that's good to know going forward. Sadly the Z Play doesn't support wifi calling, but with any luck more Motorola phones will start coming to Tmo, or at least the ones that have great battery life.

I can always hang on to my S7 Edge for a while so I can keep wifi calling (and a better camera), but like I mentioned I never have wifi calling turned on. The call quality is occasionally better, but in my apartment it's more susceptible to dropping calls too.

And another irritation is that when it's turned on there's an icon in the notification bar that never goes away.

hmmm i always need it. get zero signal at all at my office, so wifi calling, even with it being a bit buggy is a must.

keuja

---

In the Android world, I would choose the LG v30 without any hesitation. The phone looks great for video and music consumption, and that wide angle camera is a killer feature to be honest, so useful in everyday life (as opposed to a telephoto lens that you will stop using after one month).
I'm just waiting to see what the pixel 2 and iPhone 8 have to offer but I'm close to biting the bullet on the LG v30 comes my renewal in October...

In the Android world, I would choose the LG v30 without any hesitation. The phone looks great for video and music consumption, and that wide angle camera is a killer feature to be honest, so useful in everyday life (as opposed to a telephoto lens that you will stop using after one month).
I'm just waiting to see what the pixel 2 and iPhone 8 have to offer but I'm close to biting the bullet on the LG v30 comes my renewal in October...

I hope you don't take selfies.

Occasionally yes but I prioritize the main camera... But you're right that it is probably the biggest LG v30 weakness.

Yeah that and software. I'd go Pixel XL 2, but if you go V30 it will probably be $400-$500 by the end of October so that's a plus. Pixel XL 2 will probably be $750-$850

Jeffrey

you know... for its flubs in pr and jelly vision, oneplus 5 is still my favorite sd835 phone.

Dash charging is a beast, and no other US phone can compete with that (seriously what ever happen to quick charge 4?). 8gb of ram + snappy animations + minimal bloat = long shelf life like other odd numbered OP phones. Camera is solid for the price. headphone jack is still there. really loud mono speaker

will probably go bezelless next year, hopefully they dont have massive trade offs. guess we can predict based off oppo stuff.

Feels like every other android phone im interested in has trade offs in terms of software or sacrifices in ram or headphone jack or something, while costing hundreds of dollars more.

you know... for its flubs in pr and jelly vision, oneplus 5 is still my favorite sd835 phone.

Dash charging is a beast, and no other US phone can compete with that (seriously what ever happen to quick charge 4?). 8gb of ram + snappy animations + minimal bloat = long shelf life like other odd numbered OP phones. Camera is solid for the price. headphone jack is still there. really loud mono speaker

will probably go bezelless next year, hopefully they dont have massive trade offs. guess we can predict based off oppo stuff.

Feels like every other android phone im interested in has trade offs in terms of software or sacrifices in ram or headphone jack or something, while costing hundreds of dollars more.

I have another oneplus 5 coming soon. I ordered the 6gb version though. With the student discount it was only about $430. I figure I'll try to hold onto this one until Pixel XL 2 and hopefully I'll get used to the jelly.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So they are aware of this and they don't even bother to fix it? This has been going on for a few months but now it's seriously getting on my nerves :/.

iPhone version is garbage as well. So is the main Facebook app on iOS. Battery draining pos.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's your boy Floss back again with another video and this time we are gonna take a look at the LG V30.

Shout out to Xerxes. White shoes on deck.

Now y'all know I hate talking about specs, but since this is a first look video let's go over them.

It's your boy Floss back again with another video and this time we are gonna take a look at the LG V30.

Shout out to Xerxes. White shoes on deck.

Now y'all know I hate talking about specs, but since this is a first look video let's go over them.

Feels good in the hands, ladies you know the procedures. This phone is a major go(which phone isn't?)

He stopped doing his sim card slut line though.

longdi

Banned

They need to move away from pentile 1080p oled first, at the kind of prices they are asking now.

They need to move away from pentile 1080p oled first, at the kind of prices they are asking now.

Yep.

To show how poorly Oneplus 5 is selling I ordered one a couple of days ago and I still got one of the units that was made before launch. Mine was produced 6/10.

Asgaro

Looking forward to the LG V30!
The minimal bezels, OLED and wireless charging interest me the most.

I hope I can do quite a few years with it though. I've only had 2 smartphones so far (Samsung Wave S8500 and current Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) and am hoping I can keep using the LG V30 for a longer time than my Z3C.

The Z3C's RAM is becoming an issue. Plus I'm now ready for larger screen sizes.

Hasney

To show how poorly Oneplus 5 is selling I ordered one a couple of days ago

giphy.webp

---

I ordered my Xperia Z5 from Clove two years ago. They were great to work with, and I got a free Sony Bluetooth speaker with the phone.

They even handled an RMA with Sony for me with little issue when I cracked the screen while drunk one night.

I'm thinking I'll go with Amazon US for an XZ1 though. I'll just flash the firmware. Two years ago it was looking like the US wasn't going to get Z5s at all.

reKon

Banned
Both S8 and LG V30 are going to be excellent buys around December time.

Pixel XL 2 will slay in performance, but its going to be like $200+ more. You don't see the same kind of deals for Pixel devices.

My concern with the V30 is still battery life. My guess it will be a small improvement over the LG G6 might be good enough. The video that LG posted showing off the features confirms that they are copying most of the useful ones off of Samsung's software, which is a great thing.

Top Bottom