• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

The iPad getting PC multitasking features and a file manager was nice, but the rest of that conference was meh ass fuck. And I'll continue to have no interest in getting an iPhone.

New iPad pro with 120hz display.

Need that over my face pls.
I'll definitely like to see that.

I have never actually seen a screen in person with either HDR or a greater than 60hz refresh rate, so it will be cool to see that on the store demo units.

Unfortunately I never really watch videos on tablets anymore (sold my old Nexus 10 since that was all I used it for) and my iPad Mini 2 still runs everything just fine, and I barely even use it as is anymore.

Now if an android phone like the Note 8 had both 120hz and HDR (and enough apps/games supported it) I'd be there for that!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
New iPads are nice, but the Pros got more expensive while still being overkill for the average user.

It'll sell way more than the Tab S3, but I still feel it has similar problems.

The new just regular old iPad is the king in this space. We just need HDR to trickle down to it.

Quasar

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239288463 said:
The ipad improvements just snuffed out anything android is doing with tablets.

I was pretty disappointed.

Disappointed it wasn't a oled screen with no bezel. Curious about the dock though.

Jeffrey

People freaking out about rumors about OnePlus 5.

Look what just came in the mail.

MIPBQn0.jpg

I'm one step ahead.

RoKKeR

Can somebody explain to me the Play Store pushing updates that were "last updated 4 weeks ago" ?

Uhhh, why didn't you update it 4 weeks ago then? Just happened to me for Android Pay.

Quasar

New iPads are nice, but the Pros got more expensive while still being overkill for the average user.

It'll sell way more than the Tab S3, but I still feel it has similar problems.

The new just regular old iPad is the king in this space. We just need HDR to trickle down to it.

All it made me think was...and so you'll be offering 4K hdr video on the iTunes Store when?

NeOak

Is there an SMS app that shows when the MMS were delivered?

I'm just using the regular Samsung basic SMS thing.

kaiyo

Latest alleged teaser.

gsmarena_000.jpg

Dx0 partnership ain't cheap. Couldn't afford a new design so just steal some iPhone molds.

It worked well for Samsung

Can somebody explain to me the Play Store pushing updates that were "last updated 4 weeks ago" ?

Uhhh, why didn't you update it 4 weeks ago then? Just happened to me for Android Pay.

It just means the app's previous update came out 4 weeks ago. It just shows how often an app gets updated

Jeffrey

playing around with the nexus 6. a bit slow to load apps and some hitches here and there, but everything else... man i forgot how smooth stock android is after using a s8 for a month+.

Also hey, front stereo speakers is aight.

just modernize this phone and its pretty much perfect lol. lessen them bezels. fingerprint sensor, usb-c etc.

battery life is understandably shit. wonder if its hard to switch this out.

Vanillalite

All it made me think was...and so you'll be offering 4K hdr video on the iTunes Store when?

Speaking of which UHD on Google Play is a cluster.

Hard to find UHD movies. A lot of them are buy only so you can't rent. Plus the up charge is fucking redonk.

Jeffrey

can't wait for iphone 8 to have 120hz display, and all 2018 android phones to have it too.

rather have 120hz screen than HDR which nothing supports.

swear there is a japanese phone that already has it.

Vanillalite

can't wait for iphone 8 to have 120hz display, and all 2018 android phones to have it too.

rather have 120hz screen than HDR which nothing supports.

swear there is a japanese phone that already has it.

I mean Netflix and Amazon both support HDR.

120hz for Apple is adaptive refresh to help with the pencil. In normal use it's gonna be like well normal?

Jeffrey

It'd not like Chrome will ever scroll smooth.

Think I'll play with a iPad next week in stores to see if I can notice a difference.

Not too hard to tell 60fps vs 120 in games.

Vanillalite

Bigger deal will be when the new hot screen tech filters down into the regular iPad.

If you don't need the increased specs or the pen for regular usage the Pro is overkill for the price. Not like the new iPad is slow since it got a bump to the A9 chip.

I get the idea of getting the entry price down, but more and more I understand users wanting something in between. Like if they could just pay an extra $100 to get a Pro like screen while keeping everything else the same they would.

Sorta how I feel about the Tab S series as the S2 is generally fine for speed, but S3 screen is much better.

RoKKeR

It'd not like Chrome will ever scroll smooth.

Think I'll play with a iPad next week in stores to see if I can notice a difference.

Not too hard to tell 60fps vs 120 in games.
Seriously. I enabled it again yesterday... can't believe how jittery it is. Samsung Browser is miles better.

Quasar

I mean Netflix and Amazon both support HDR.

120hz for Apple is adaptive refresh to help with the pencil. In normal use it's gonna be like well normal?

I'm not sure that's the point.I am wondering if that means we'll get 24Hz video playback (and 48 for things like the Hobbit).

Jeffrey

Sharp bringing the future. What they releasing now that we can expect in a few years?
Bigger deal will be when the new hot screen tech filters down into the regular iPad.

If you don't need the increased specs or the pen for regular usage the Pro is overkill for the price. Not like the new iPad is slow since it got a bump to the A9 chip.

I get the idea of getting the entry price down, but more and more I understand users wanting something in between. Like if they could just pay an extra $100 to get a Pro like screen while keeping everything else the same they would.

Sorta how I feel about the Tab S series as the S2 is generally fine for speed, but S3 screen is much better.

Or check ebay. I got a new iPad pro 13" for $500ish near launch. Think they might have been stolen but seller had high rating lol. Didn't have any issue.

Sharp bringing the future. What they releasing now that we can expect in a few years?
it's the iCycle.

they do something that others have done for years (and it's not that they do it better, it's just that they do it at all) and journalists switch sides on the feature.

we can already see the praise a file manager has received.

Jeffrey

Ipad got the big changes but digging into the phone beta it's remarkable at how much ideas ios 11 got from stock and skinned android. Battery app now looks like something from a 3rd party android place lol.

Same with memory management. Heck you can tweak and share screenshots too after creating lol. Just need grouping notifications now and fire Ives so the OS can look decent.

It gets praise for the simplicity of its implementation.

All that is gonna change with iPad ios 11 lol. At least Apple realize they can't just pretend a phone OS is what professionals want to do work lol.

Quasar

All that is gonna change with iPad ios 11 lol. At least Apple realize they can't just pretend a phone OS is what professionals want to do work lol.

It is good to see they are finally making an effort with the iPad. Of course I wish they went even further in separating the tablet and phone versions of their OS.

Jeffrey

im just confused what the president of essential was thinking. I mean I get it, you are the executive that wants to 'help out', but seriously, let a pro handle your first official picture from your phone that your business is riding on, please.

Some people just can't photography. I know folks with iphone 7+, and all of apple's magic ain't making their facebook pics look any better.

LeleSocho

Banned
lol at the Essential photo that looks mediocre as heck, let professional take the photo to put on social media

It gets praise for the simplicity of its implementation.

iOS 11 on the iPad Pro is the opposite of simplicity, they are so desperate with the thing that they made it as complicated as a pc to use. The original bullet point of the iPad being a new category that everyone already knew how to use has been thrown out the window.

Asgaro

Anyone using habit trackers?

Did some research and these are the ones I'm gonna try out:
2cljIp5.png

I'm a pretty bad procastinator when it comes to studying...

Habit trackers are essentially apps to gamify your work/chores/healthy habits/etc. I think it will work for a lot of people on this forum, since we are perhaps more appreciative to gamifying things.

Connected example: Pokémon Go was a "gateway drug" for me to get really into running!
I now run 3-4 times a week and have recently completed my second Half Marathon race. (In comparison: before I ran 1-2 times a month, without any routine or motivation.)

Now I don't play PoGo anymore but I keep having the drive to RUN. Though this can also be attributed to using: Garmin sportwatch, Strava, Runkeeper, Smashrun, Google Fit, Withings wifi scale!

--

On top of all this I will also experiment with the Pomodoro technique (25 min work + 5 min play) to improve my productivity the moment I actually take place on my desk to start studying.
There are also other techniques like the "90 20" or "52 17" divisions (where one can use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.timer by well known app dev Francisco Franco).

And one can "connect" these with a habit tracker by eg having the habit "Complete at least 3 pomodoros for study daily".

--

Regarding habit trackers: these use "the X effect". Or the effect of not breaking a chain of days that you complete a positive task or stop a negative task. https://www.reddit.com/r/theXeffect/

Noema

playing around with the nexus 6. a bit slow to load apps and some hitches here and there, but everything else... man i forgot how smooth stock android is after using a s8 for a month+.

Also hey, front stereo speakers is aight.

just modernize this phone and its pretty much perfect lol. lessen them bezels. fingerprint sensor, usb-c etc.

battery life is understandably shit. wonder if its hard to switch this out.

I'm still using my Nexus 6 as my daily driver.

Battery life is worse every day due to wear on the batter after a year and a half and it could really use a fingerprint scanner.

But other than that I love the phone, it's still really smooth running 7.1.2 Pure Nexus, and I just love it's a big ass phone with a ton of screen real state. Nougat really shines on a phone this size.

Jeffrey

I'm still using my Nexus 6 as my daily driver.

Battery life is worse every day due to wear on the batter after a year and a half and it could really use a fingerprint scanner.

But other than that I love the phone, it's still really smooth running 7.1.2 Pure Nexus, and I just love it's a big ass phone with a ton of screen real state. Nougat really shines on a phone this size.
Think I'll try flashing something on it. Do any custom roms support project fi?

zedge

So happy android pay works here now. (CIBC)

One of two things I miss from iOS was apple pay and imessage. One down.

Top Bottom