• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Jzero

31e16c7c6274dadef4218b7079b8bfc4.png

Fuck these hideous gradients.

Mindwipe

if google really wants to compete they need to step up their game in every way. the pixel was basically still a nexus in terms of effort but with a high price tag. except you could actually buy the nexus phones in most parts of the world.

Exclusive: Nova Launcher finally gets Google Now integration [APK Download]

how nova gonna keep winning like this

The actual underlying situation for Now integration is daft.

Google have changed how debug apps can access the Launcher in a way that allows this, but it requires another "shim" debug app in the middle to do so (which Nova have launched). Google must have known this was a consequence when they made this change, but it's designed in the worst way I could possibly, possibly imagine.

It's like the engineers and project managers here are drunk, tbpfh.

Dobsie

Need to get a new phone for my mum, she's got credit on her account so she can basically get any of these for free:LG K10, Samsung J3 or Sony XA.
Or use the credit and pay £70 extra for a Huawei P9 lite.
Doesn't need to be anything special, just a reasonable camera and easy to use ui.
What to chose?

LeleSocho

Banned
Need to get a new phone for my mum, she's got credit on her account so she can basically get any of these for free:LG K10, Samsung J3 or Sony XA.
Or use the credit and pay £70 extra for a Huawei P9 lite.
Doesn't need to be anything special, just a reasonable camera and easy to use ui.
What to chose?

XA is the better device, battery might be not great though

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll admit the iPad Pro performance does seem next level as an actual laptop replacement.

The Samsung Tab S3 has a baller screen, but you're not getting a laptop replacement.

Granted the pricing of that thing has already come down 100 bucks to $500.

Still while the iPad Pro isn't cheap you are getting a lot, and you're getting a better screen than on basically every sub $1000 laptop. Performance for everyday stuff seems fine too with the new chip and more ram.

Edit: iPad Pro sorta feels like what Google wanted the Pixel C to be, but it never got traction.

Saiyan-Rox

Mum just given a hand me down smartphone she's never used one can barely use a standard phone so I was gonna put like an "easy Launcher" on it which to my surprise huawei already had. But anyway my biggest disgust over this thing is the charging port is at the top of the phone

The top!

Mum just given a hand me down smartphone she's never used one can barely use a standard phone so I was gonna put like an "easy Launcher" on it which to my surprise huawei already had. But anyway my biggest disgust over this thing is the charging port is at the top of the phone

The top!

Teach her about rooting.

Salsa

have a bud in the states

budget is tight

told him to bring me a phone since my Moto G2 screen broke and its about time

figure i'd choose between the Moto G5 plus 2gb or 4gb

2gb is 230 at BB, 4gb is 300

honestly leaning towards 230 just for those 70 bucks and thinking that at 300 the G5 kinda stops being a budget phone and at 300 I probably have better options

guess my question is: is 2gb enough for normal usage? I dont game on my phone, thinking most multitasking would be between something like Spotify or Maps or Instagram

just wanna be sure 2gb isnt gonna fuck me over if I use the phone for a year or two. seems like 4gb for futureproofing is kinda dumb on the G5 since Motorola is shit at updates and all. I feel like i'd want 4GB of RAM but on a better, higher end phone

I mean my biggest gripe with the 1gb on the current G2 is stuff like Spotify force-closing and things like that. I attribute most of its other shortcomings (just the phone hanging, shit forceclosing etc) to the beyond shitty 8GB internal storage since its always full with apps using cache and all. In that sense 32gb internal on the G5 should be fine

Jeffrey

have a bud in the states

budget is tight

told him to bring me a phone since my Moto G2 screen broke and its about time

figure i'd choose between the Moto G5 plus 2gb or 4gb

2gb is 230 at BB, 4gb is 300

honestly leaning towards 230 just for those 70 bucks and thinking that at 300 the G5 kinda stops being a budget phone and at 300 I probably have better options

guess my question is: is 2gb enough for normal usage? I dont game on my phone, thinking most multitasking would be between something like Spotify or Maps or Instagram

just wanna be sure 2gb isnt gonna fuck me over if I use the phone for a year or two. seems like 4gb for futureproofing is kinda dumb on the G5 since Motorola is shit at updates and all. I feel like i'd want 4GB of RAM but on a better, higher end phone

I mean my biggest gripe with the 1gb on the current G2 is stuff like Spotify force-closing and things like that. I attribute most of its other shortcomings (just the phone hanging, shit forceclosing etc) to the beyond shitty 8GB internal storage since its always full with apps using cache and all. In that sense 32gb internal on the G5 should be fine

Get the 4gb with offers if you know someone with prime.

Moto G Plus (5th Generation) - Lunar Gray - 64 GB - Unlocked - Prime Exclusive - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6NTIRH/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nextbit Robin is $117 if you aren't worried about support or warranty

https://www.amzn.com/dp/B01D3Q8EGY/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_e9fb_89d4e6ce?smid=A1RN4TQ9C66SY0

Salsa

Get the 4gb with offers if you know someone with prime.

Moto G Plus (5th Generation) - Lunar Gray - 64 GB - Unlocked - Prime Exclusive - with Lockscreen Offers & Ads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6NTIRH/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nextbit Robin is $117 if you aren't worried about support or warranty

https://www.amzn.com/dp/B01D3Q8EGY/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_e9fb_89d4e6ce?smid=A1RN4TQ9C66SY0

that's the same price as Best Buy without the prime ads tho

edit: oh nvm I see its 240

wouldnt the ads drive me mad tho? also I think my friend's only option would be a Best Buy pickup

Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Ooh apparently Samsung added a semi immersive mode option in the latest international update. Basically hide the nav buttons but top is still there.

Looks neat.

Ty4on

Edit: iPad Pro sorta feels like what Google wanted the Pixel C to be, but it never got traction.

Does Android even have the apps needed?

When I use my phone for desktop stuff everything feels like a fucking hack. Tried to print an excel sheet and had to give up trying to change the orientation.

LeleSocho

Banned
Better than the p9 lite? Or is emui really that bad?

Oh no the P9 lite is better but i didn't want to make you spend those 70$
P9 lite has the same performance (negligible better actually) and consumes noticeably less power but it's also not as pretty as the Sony and god knows if or when and how Huawei will continue to support the device while Sony at least on the security patches is pretty good.

Dunno, for a 70$ difference i would pick the Sony but i would also understand if someone chooses the P9 lite sincerely...

Jeffrey

picked up a iPad Pro and keyboard. its a fun device. Ridiculously smooth due to the display. Forgot about all the limitations on iOS though, in terms of apps linking to other apps, like you can't just share something to Tweetbot.

Probably will return it before 14 days. Hmmmm. Not sure I want a iPhone 8 now lol.

It's easy to switch from iOS to android, a bit harder the other way around.

LeleSocho

Banned
picked up a iPad Pro and keyboard. its a fun device. Ridiculously smooth due to the display. Forgot about all the limitations on iOS though, in terms of apps linking to other apps, like you can't just share something to Tweetbot.

Define the bolded because i'm pretty sure you can.

Probably will return it before 14 days. Hmmmm. Not sure I want a iPhone 8 now lol.

What are you trying to share? I have only used it that feature a total of 3 times. I might return my iPhone 7+ but I'm definitely getting an 8. It's going to be a beast.

If all you're trying to do is share something to your Twitter timeline you can definitely just do that with the built in iOS Twitter login. It will just pop up a little window and allow you to compose a tweet with the item you want to share from whatever screen you're on.

Jeffrey

If all you're trying to do is share something to your Twitter timeline you can definitely just do that with the built in iOS Twitter login. It will just pop up a little window and allow you to compose a tweet with the item you want to share from whatever screen you're on.

Yep, but its not the best at auto completing @names of folks you follow, seems like it searches everyone on twitter once you start typing, like some apps. A bit of a pain.

Also forgotten how limited SwiftKey is on iOS vs android, in which it basically can read your mind.

Let me expose myself to 3rd parties, apple!

Vanillalite

Does Android even have the apps needed?

When I use my phone for desktop stuff everything feels like a fucking hack. Tried to print an excel sheet and had to give up trying to change the orientation.

Office is the wild card since it is MS baby. Even on the iPad it's just workable but not great.

GDocs work better (obviously), but most people need/use MS Office so that doesn't mean shit. Same for Pages on an iPad.

You're more likely to have photo, movie, or music apps or something like an app to post to your blog with a keyboard cover than an actual MS Office app that works well outside of the Surface having real deal office.

Apple and Google are fucked though as they have mostly no control over this and very little leverage of MS in this regard.

I'm sure we won't see a full LTE change for another few years though. It would be for the better for everyone. Fuck CDMA. I guess they have to improve their LTE though, as there are some places that STILL only have 3G. Also, if they can officially support Calls/Texts via WiFi, then this wouldn't be an issue as much.

IronRaven

I'm sure we won't see a full LTE change for another few years though. It would be for the better for everyone. Fuck CDMA. I guess they have to improve their LTE though, as there are some places that STILL only have 3G. Also, if they can officially support Calls/Texts via WiFi, then this wouldn't be an issue as much.

I dream of the day the US has only GSM networks and all major and minor carriers support wifi for calls and messaging.

I dream of the day the US has only GSM networks and all major and minor carriers support wifi for calls and messaging.

Yep. GSM to go anywhere in the world with and have full call and text support over WiFi. The way of the future but fuck do we have some asshole companies that don't want to change.

Vanillalite

Promotion is legit, but the rest feels semi half baked until iOS 11 hits and you get all the extra iPad Pro features.

You might like it better if you update to iOS 11. Even if it won't specifically fix the sharing.

Jeffrey

Promotion is legit, but the rest feels semi half baked until iOS 11 hits and you get all the extra iPad Pro features.

You might like it better if you update to iOS 11. Even if it won't specifically fix the sharing.
Maybe later when ios 11 stable is out and I bet there will be some deals or what not later.

Jeffrey

Kinds my feelings on it.

Want one, but not paying $1000 to get one with enough storage + accessories when it's still on iOS10.

Yeah for some reason I thought ios 11 open beta was out, but nope current beta needs to install with iTunes and what not. Just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle.

Top Bottom