• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

reKon

Banned
At least Sony is making it easier for me to choose. If their Xperia phones still had God-like battery life still, then it be more difficult.

Blackhead

Redarse

*shrug* it's squretrade, they sell insurance. they rate all the phones at least medium risk; bigger screen, higher rating,
6IeRaIG.jpg

Fy0mtvU.jpg

The Essential Phone should buck that with its titanium frame+no bezel design though

vivftp

nah fuck that nonsense. once sony catches up with the bezel less design you'll immediately change your speil

Ooooh shit son, are you a mind reader? Cause if you are you suck at it.

I won't change my spiel at all. Where the f*ck are you supposed to hold a bezel-less phone if the front is all screen? I've got pretty big thumbs and I'd be touching the screen all the bloody time when using it landscape one handed. If Sony goes down that route and the rest of the market does as well, I won't like it but I'll have to accept it because that's what's available. I'll hold on to my XZ Premium as long as I can, hopefully a solid 4 years like my Z Ultra. When it does come time to replace my phone if bezel-less phones are all that's out there I'll likely try to find a case that introduces extra space around the screen just so I can actually use the darned device.

then why would you care about Sony when their phones just spontaneously crack without even dropping them? Why would you not buy more interested in the Essential phone which, despite the 'scary' no bezel design, has impressive droptest claims due to its titanium frame?

Oh no, a single model had some small cracking issues that were addressed by the manufacturer! It's the end of the bloody world it is! Well so long as you're looking at a tiny portion of the big picture let me toss in my own stories. When I had my Xperia x10a I dropped that fucker several dozen times over the course of 3 years. It was always slipping out of my shirt pocket when I leaned over. It hit wood floors, concrete, tile, whatever. It held strong and it wasn't until I got in my head to remove the shatter resistant film that the screen finally did crack (after a dozen or so other random drops). When I got my Z Ultra that motherfucker took a lot of tumbles out of my shirt pocket too over the years. Not as much as my previous phone because it was bigger and stayed in my pocket better, but still a lot. It wasn't until I stupidly put my weight onto one single point of the screen with my thumb that I managed to crack that screen (the phone got between my thumb and a wooden chair arm as I was getting up). Both of those phones FAR exceeded anything I ever expected of them in durability.

So far my XZ Premium's only been dropped on carpet, but from the drop test videos I've seen online it's perfectly in line with other top end phones out there.

The FUD for the no bezel design is ridiculous. Sony shills please get the fuck out and come back when you have a relevant phone to promote

lol

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm starting to have a serious tech hard-on for the V30. The hardware design is what I wanted from the S8/Note 2017 products.

vivftp

Vivftp the latest astroturfer in Android OT?

It's like NotBacon is back.

Sorry, I don't know who that is. From the context though, it's not a compliment :)

I'm a Sony fan, and I like what they've put out. I worked for them for a few years, but that ended a couple years ago when my job got outsourced. That's about it.

You wanna spin that into me being a shill, then fuck off with that noise. A person having a differing viewpoint on the practicality of a design isn't cause to get dickish.

bedlamite

Taking away that second screen on the V30 was a bad move IMHO. Making that into a floating bar widget on the main screen seems kind of pointless. Also no removable battery, no IR blaster? Ugh. Also LG moved the headphone jack up top which is really really annoying. Apple got it right when they moved the jack down below, having it up top puts a strain on the jack when you've got gear plugged in and the phone's seated in your pants pocket.

I like the XZP (cue laughter). I loved my old V20 and I'd have thought I'd just be using the XZP for a while till the V30 dropped...I think I'm going to keep the Sony. The V30 isn't a bad phone by any means, but it's lost quite a bit of its disctinctiveness the V-series used to have.

dcll

Banned
What is up Androidgaf, longtime lurker here. I just realized I can now post! Anyway I am a longtime android user and even owned a G1, I am not fanboyish though and not brand loyal. I dont waste my money on high end phones but I get to use them often because I buy and sell all kinds of stuff including phones. I am more interested in the budget to mid range phone due to value for the money. I am an android only user though, while I think ios is nice and all and have nothing against it I just prefer android. My household is divided, my kids are on ios and my wife and I are android. You guys/gals will probably be seeing me here a lot

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Moto X4 announced. No US price but its rumored to be the 3GB 32GB version. If that's the case then no thx.

Still not sold on this phone. Like it's better than the G5, but idk how much better. Like the bump to LPDDR4 is legit, but not like $200 legit if it matches the European pricing.

PS: Need to go back and check just how many astrotufers we've had in this thread throughout the years.

Noema

Moto X4 announced. No US price but its rumored to be the 3GB 32GB version. If that's the case then no thx.

I don't really understand the raison d'ê·tre for this phone when the Moto Z2 Play exists. They already have a midrange SD6XX phone. Are the Z phones still Verizon exclusives in the US? Is it supposed to be a premium Moto G5 with a better camera?

Moto has too many goddamned phones.

Remember when it was just E, G and X?

dcll

Banned
I dont get why they lowered the battery size in the Z Play 2, the battery was the big selling point and best feature in the first version. I can only speak for me but battery life is the number one feature for me in a phone, I am not a spec whore and do not obsess over the latest chips ect but battery life is king for me.

Noema

I dont get why they lowered the battery size in the Z Play 2, the battery was the big selling point and best feature in the first version. I can only speak for me but battery life is the number one feature for me in a phone, I am not a spec whore and do not obsess over the latest chips ect but battery life is king for me.

I assume so that they can sell more Moto Mods. The original Z Play is a beast. A friend just got one and he can get away with charging it every other day.

The Z2 Play is actually a downgrade of sorts. 20% smaller battery in exchange for more RAM and a SD626 instead of a SD625.

I'll take the extra battery anytime.

I cracked the camera glass on my 3T lol

No clue how it happened, since I haven't dropped it. Worst part is I ordered a case only a couple days ago. If only I had ordered it before.

dcll

Banned
The Z Play is the best battery life on a phone I have ever had, it is no issue to hit 8-10 hours sot. Another great option that has very similar specs but cheaper is the ZTE Blade V8 Pro

Noema

The Z Play is the best battery life on a phone I have ever had, it is no issue to hit 8-10 hours sot. Another great option that has very similar specs but cheaper is the ZTE Blade V8 Pro

Yeah, also the Redmi Note 4 has a 4100maH battery and SD625. It has that tacky MIUI skin but flashing LineageOS should be simple enough.

dcll

Banned
Yeah, also the Redmi Note 4 has a 4100maH battery and SD625. It has a tacky skin but flashing LineageOS should be simple enough.

MMM I wasnt aware of this phone, the 625 combined with a battery that big could/should be incredible!

Noema

MMM I wasnt aware of this phone, the 625 combined with a battery that big could/should be incredible!

They even have a 6.2" phone with a SD625 and a 5200Mah battery. Of course availability in the US is an issue, they run a shitty skin, cameras are mediocre at best and they might kinda be utilized by the Chinese government for spying, but hey, they're cheap.

Jeffrey

lol impressions from actual owners on reddit of essentials is the stock android stuff is fine, but apps are hit or miss with the top bezel thing, and apps can break...

also the camera app is legit laughably bad, which is hilarious because its literally the only custom part of the phone os.

edit: oh so the google camera modded apk seems to drastically improve pics on the essential :p https://www.xda-developers.com/essential-phone-camera-quality-fix/

think ill get the new iphone, not sure i want the pixel 2 xl... if i want a no headphone jack phone ill go ios.

kaiyo

nah fuck that nonsense. once sony catches up with the bezel less design you'll immediately change your speil

then why would you care about Sony when their phones just spontaneously crack without even dropping them? Why would you not buy more interested in the Essential phone which, despite the 'scary' no bezel design, has impressive droptest claims due to its titanium frame?

The FUD for the no bezel design is ridiculous. Sony shills please get the fuck out and come back when you have a relevant phone to promote

Jesus, so anyone that likes Sony design is called a shill.

And why does it feel like Sony fans are singled out?

-------

Wonder where the slimmer bezel Xperia rumour came from. And the one with the finger print scanner at the back is no where to be seen.

It's true exposed screens are prone to cracking, but adding a 10 inch border around the screen is a shitty solution.
Such hyperbole.

Sony phones were the pioneers of AR captures. Watch the rest catch up to this 3d scanner a year down the road.
Just like IP rated flagship phones. Active noise cancellation.

Sony is literally a total non-factor in phones. That's why people coming in here pushing Sony are viewed with suspicion.

It's not unlike the strangely hardcore Windows Phone community that GAF had for awhile. Literally no one cared about Windows Phone outside of this tiny "dozens of us" group.

Hasney

Sony is literally a total non-factor in phones. That's why people coming in here pushing Sony are viewed with suspicion.

It's not unlike the strangely hardcore Windows Phone community that GAF had for awhile. Literally no one cared about Windows Phone outside of this tiny "dozens of us" group.

I do see quite a few Sony phones in the UK still. They're competitively priced on contract unlike those lol-USA models.

They're really only a non-factor in the US.

Nikodemos

I do see quite a few Sony phones in the UK still. They're competitively priced on contract unlike those lol-USA models.

They're really only a non-factor in the US.
Yeah, Sony seem to have given up on the US due to the fingerprint scanner thing.

Unfortunately, a lot of GAF members are from the US, so to them US = everywhere.

Mindwipe

That's definitely your US centrism talking.

longdi

Banned
Just touched the note8, man i hate long phones. The screen does seems to go brighter and bolder than my old s7e. The 6gb ram certainly helps smoother the Samsung junk.

/shrugs sony does edge to edge phones too btw

Xa1 ultra, same thin bezel as the note8, better Sony design language imo. Note8 length and chunky body looked less regeant.
Sony-Xperia-XA1-Ultra-hands-on-6-of-11-1.jpg

Mindwipe

Just touched the note8, man i hate long phones. The screen seems to go brighter and bolder than my old s7e. The 6gb ram certainly helps smoother the Samsung junk.

/shrugs sony does edge to edge phones too btw

Xa1 ultra, same thin bezel as the note8.
Sony-Xperia-XA1-Ultra-hands-on-6-of-11-1.jpg

As much as I like the Xa1, it's not in the same league of bezel reduction as the S8, and it's a mid-tier handset in every other respect.

DIg7aLcXoAAdoRy.jpg

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/903037052631085060

������

Really disappointed by the lack of a removable battery as a V20 owner. The V30 is everything I want in a phone and it could've stayed in my pocket for 3-5+ years otherwise.

Looks like I'm stuck on the V20 for the foreseeable future. Hopefully the mad men at XDA have something to make the wait less awful than it was for V10 users stuck on 6.0 until just recently.

longdi

Banned
As much as I like the Xa1, it's not in the same league of bezel reduction as the S8, and it's a mid-tier handset in every other respect.

Nope you are wrong.. partially. Yes it is a mid range specc'ers. But the edge to edge(LR) is as good as s8, without the silly curve, closer to the note series. Its design language is every bit in the same league as Samsung flagship 8 series

You need to take a look in person and compare.

Hasney

Nope you are wrong.. partially. Yes it is a mid range specc'ers. But the edge to edge(LR) is as good as s8, without the silly curve, closer to the note series. Its design language is every bit in the same league as Samsung flagship 8 series

You need to take a look in person and compare.

But it still has the top and bottom bezels, so it isn't in the same league. He's right.

longdi

Banned
Not a fan of edge to edge for the TB. It looks weird and creates a distorted aspect ratio. I rather take some TB bezels and use that area for stereo speaker, fp sensor or even capacitive 'buttons'.

On one hand I hope that Samsung got the fingerprint reader in the digitizer sorted out for the S9 launch next year, so I can upgrade from my S7. On the other hand im not sure if I want to trust Samsung with a gen1 feature like that. I'd be shocked if it wasn't somehow inferior to the physical fingerprint reader on the S7.

kaiyo

No other company has a compact phone with flagship specs. Along With front stereo speakers, IP68 (with 3.5mm audio jack lol), smooth/light skinned Android (one of the quickest/smoothest).

Sure there are a few cons but so does every other phone. they also have the best finger print sensor placement, sorry USA (unless you're willing to flash)

Edit: the XZ1 compact has a 120 fov (adjustable) selfie camera

To the bolded, you guys so insecure and scared of a tiny dozen Sony fans that you have to call them out a mile a way?

Jeffrey

I do love how they increased side bezels for the larger fingerprint power button that still is disabled in the US. And yeah haven't seen a Sony phone in the wild in the US since my friends old sick Ericsson phone.

Xeno_V

Does anybody else have issues with the Messenger (facebook) application?
What happens to me is that randomly when chatting it stops scrolling down to the last message so I type or I get a message and then I have to scroll down manually to see the most recent message in the conversation.

Closing the app and reopening it fixes the issue temporarily but then it reappears again and this is happening quite often.

Can anyone help with this?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Jesus, so anyone that likes Sony design is called a shill.

And why does it feel like Sony fans are singled out?

Cause the random furvor of posts about Sony are the suspicious one's right now.

You also can tell who's been posting here for a while and who hasn't since we had actually astroturfing in this thread before, and people got perma'd over it.

Hasney

Does anybody else have issues with the Messenger (facebook) application?
What happens to me is that randomly when chatting it stops scrolling down to the last message so I type or I get a message and then I have to scroll down manually to see the most recent message in the conversation.

Closing the app and reopening it fixes the issue temporarily but then it reappears again and this is happening quite often.

Can anyone help with this?

Yes, that happens. It's because the app is a piece of shit. Just be happy they're not accidentally draining everyones battery with a server setting again!

Top Bottom