• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Davey Cakes

A fun episode, but I don't care much for the spectacular segments. For example, I was never much of a fan of Super Mecha Death Christ stuff.

Still, a well-put-together video and not a bad choice for #100. I'm glad James didn't do the obvious thing and go for E.T. like so many people want.

rezuth

Deku said:
He doesn't do these kinds of productions all the time. Was R.O.B. his 100th?

In anycase, loads of fun to watch. And quite informative as I have never seen him in action before.
What are you on about? Like 3/4 episodes ever since he got on GameTrailers have been these types of production shows.
bjork said:
I thought he might kill the character off, thereby never having to cover E.T., but maybe that'll be episode 125 or something.
That would have been great.

daemonic

Banned
Maffis said:
I laughed constantly throughout the episode, but I pretty much lost it with the gyro, when he imitated Rob's turning and on the look on his face when rob was slow as ass. Oh, and when Rob tipped the stack in the background. So fucking funny :D

Definitely my favorite episode now.

Yeah I laughed hard at that part too. Good episode, even if the end was kind of lame.

Ferrio

Banned
Thought the episode was horrible. Really like the ones where he plays a game/games and breaks it down and explains the history behind the product. There was none of that for ROB or the games. All he did was briefly show two shitty games (though not much to say abou tthose two), then that stupid shit at the end.

I had the ROB/gyromite system myself. Which meant I never had SMB, I was kinda the odd kid out. I used to love playing with the gyros.

Also gyromite was an AWESOME multiplayer game using singleplayer. It was one of the first griefing games. You could be such an ass if you were controlling the pillars.

explodet

I've played Gyromite with my feet. It saved us a lot of time.
But then we realized playing Super Mario Bros. and Zelda was an even better use of our time and just played that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
flipping_heck said:
Great episode, fantastic ending!

Out of the 100, my fave is the Plumbers Don't Wear Ties episode..

Bug's Bunny's Birthday Blowout is mine. I laughed so hard at it the first time I watched.

Jasoco

Banned
Ferrio said:
Thought the episode was horrible. Really like the ones where he plays a game/games and breaks it down and explains the history behind the product. There was none of that for ROB or the games. All he did was briefly show two shitty games (though not much to say abou tthose two), then that stupid shit at the end.
Did you watch it? He explained the whole backstory of why R.O.B. exists. It was at the beginning. R.O.B. existed solely to make the NES seem like a toy so stores would carry it because no one wanted anything to do with video games. Which is why the NES is an "Entertainment System" and not a "Video Game Console".

Best episode in a while. I loved it.

AbsoluteZero said:
I swear I've heard the robotic voice that says "Left" "Right", etc. in another game. Maybe in a remix of some music...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi5V7UqA_wc

This?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Y'know, I remember watching commercials for this piece of robot ass and it was NOTHING like it was portrayed. I know I know, it's a commercial, but man...

I didn't think Gyromite was that bad as a co op game though

Cranzor

Loved the episode. I wonder why Nintendo put R.O.B in Mario Kart and Brawl even though it's not considered to be necessarily good lol. Probably just for the history, which I appreciate them doing.

Congrats on 100 episodes, James!

Jasoco said:
Did you watch it? He explained the whole backstory of why R.O.B. exists. It was at the beginning. R.O.B. existed solely to make the NES seem like a toy so stores would carry it because no one wanted anything to do with video games. Which is why the NES is an "Entertainment System" and not a "Video Game Console".

Best episode in a while. I loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi5V7UqA_wc

This?

Close. The only things I can think of would be Tetris DS or Brawl.

Edit: It's from fuckin' Electroplankton!

Ifrit

It's been a while since a Nerd Video made me lol as much as this one, this was one of my favorites

Maybe it's just me, I haven't played it but Gyromite seemed to be a pretty fun game, without using ROB of course

Ifrit said:
It's been a while since a Nerd Video made me lol as much as this one, this was one of my favorites

Maybe it's just me, I haven't played it but Gyromite seemed to be a pretty fun game, without using ROB of course

His last 5 or so episodes just haven't been my cup of tea. He seems much more scripted and much more like he's just acting angry rather an actually BEING angry at the games. It just rings insincere now. I don't even think his heart is really still in it.

But I do still like the Nostalgia Critic.

Jasoco

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Close. The only things I can think of would be Tetris DS or Brawl.

Edit: It's from fuckin' Electroplankton!
Oh yeah! Now I remember that part. That game was awesome.

krameriffic said:
His last 5 or so episodes just haven't been my cup of tea. He seems much more scripted and much more like he's just acting angry rather an actually BEING angry at the games. It just rings insincere now. I don't even think his heart is really still in it.

But I do still like the Nostalgia Critic.
The Nostalgia Chick is really good too. She's got some really big stuff coming up. And if memory serves correctly, in a few months we should be seeing a 3rd anniversary special. Can't wait to see them top last years Kickassia.

Siyou

I really loved how it was about everything he has done so far. He really respects the legacy he feels and we feel and fights for it. Not to say it was terrible, but certainly not as good as the Star Wars one recently released. He's a pretty awesome videogame nerd.

FoxSpirit

Cow Mengde said:
Same here. It wasn't just entertaining, it was an eye opening experience for me to see something like this in action.

Yeah, for me too. I always wondered how R.O.B. was supposed to function.

Also loved his custome at the end... though I think he forgot to edit in saying "fuck" for the eye laser thing :p

Jasoco

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
Yeah, for me too. I always wondered how R.O.B. was supposed to function.

Also loved his custome at the end... though I think he forgot to edit in saying "fuck" for the eye laser thing :p
The screen flashes a code to R.O.B.'s camera's which tells him what to do. The exact same way the light gun worked. Gun had a camera. Screen would flash white with a colored square over the ducks. If one of the squares was centered on the camera, you hit a duck. Else, if the center of the camera was white, you missed. Brilliant really. I believe each duck was a different color so the gun could tell which duck was hit.

So glad our NES came with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt instead.

SaintZ

I thought it was boring until R.O.B. started punching him, then it was all good. I prefer his over the top stuff, tbh.

AcridMeat

Banned
I was fully expecting this to be the last episode
with the character dead.
I had no idea how R.O.B. worked, that was cool to see as well.

Loved ROB revealing his motives. Classic comic book, b-movie, video game type storytelling. Except, somehow, I feel James was able to pull it off better than most of the "professional writers" in the aforementioned mediums.

Arthrus

SaintZ said:
I thought it was boring until R.O.B. started punching him, then it was all good. I prefer his over the top stuff, tbh.

Personally, I think the days of Silver Surfer and the original Bible games review were his best. I'm not a big fan of the nerd's over-the-top stuff, as he usually doesn't do a convincing job. He's gotten it right a few times though, and when he does it's great.

EDIT: R.O.B. episode was pretty good

Duki

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
He still does those kind of videos.
sure except he takes like three months to do a video and basically alternates between his dumb sketch shit and the good videos

so you wait for ages for the good ones tbh

Top Bottom