• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

LevityNYC

Banned
I really liked the SNES Jurassic Park....

BTW, its the first Wednesday of the month and no new episode....what gives? We used to get 2-3 per month...

Kalnos

Banned
LevityNYC said:
I really liked the SNES Jurassic Park....

BTW, its the first Wednesday of the month and no new episode....what gives? We used to get 2-3 per month...

He's making a movie man, your bumped killed my hopes.

Kalnos said:
He's making a movie man, your bumped kill my hopes.
This bump will serve a purpose dammit! I'll make it have one!

Do we have a time frame for this movie? Is it this year or even next? What is he aiming for? A straight to dvd feature? I know nothing about this project of his.

akskiller said:
http://cinemassacre.com/2011/06/01/avgn-message/

2006 basic AVGN videos in bound while he works on the movie.

I want to stay positive, maybe it'll turn out fantastic, but I really have a bad feeling about this movie of his. For how long he's been talking about it already (the public announcement on his site was in September), he doesn't seem to have any idea of the scale he's going to be going for, and is he seriously entertaining the idea a studio would give him a "blockbuster" budget for a character mostly about making angry faces and complaining about video games? He really can't be.

He's implying this movie could be years away, brings up that he was originally settled on giving up the AVGN series at 101 episodes (without actually telling us...), which would make a movie two years later completely moot, talks about how hard it is to keep his character fresh, then says he'll keep making episodes, but plans to make them low-effort while he's working on the movie. In reality I'm sure he'll put more work into them than he's saying, but it's still not something you want to hear.

I think he's a little too focused on making this a "legitimate" movie, and it's kinda doomed if he keeps treating it that way. It'd be nice to be wrong, if the movie really does deliver, but for now he really needs to solidify his plans.

Kulock said:
I want to stay positive, maybe it'll turn out fantastic, but I really have a bad feeling about this movie of his. For how long he's been talking about it already (the public announcement on his site was in September), he doesn't seem to have any idea of the scale he's going to be going for, and is he seriously entertaining the idea a studio would give him a "blockbuster" budget for a character mostly about making angry faces and complaining about video games? He really can't be.

He's implying this movie could be years away, brings up that he was originally settled on giving up the AVGN series at 101 episodes (without actually telling us...), which would make a movie two years later completely moot, talks about how hard it is to keep his character fresh, then says he'll keep making episodes, but plans to make them low-effort while he's working on the movie. In reality I'm sure he'll put more work into them than he's saying, but it's still not something you want to hear.

I think he's a little too focused on making this a "legitimate" movie, and it's kinda doomed if he keeps treating it that way. It'd be nice to be wrong, if the movie really does deliver, but for now he really needs to solidify his plans.

His downfall has always been that he's more interested in making movies than reviewing games. This is just the ultimate manifestation of that.

thefro

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
His downfall has always been that he's more interested in making movies than reviewing games. This is just the ultimate manifestation of that.

He's cranking out a shitload of content on his site, they're just not video game reviews.

There's literally a new video about every couple days now.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Kulock said:

He's gonna have to go full indie with this. I mean, it'd be awesome if he got a studio bankrolling him but that's a tough nut to crack. Maybe screwattack and gametrailers will pony up a few dollars... truth is with time and ingenuity and with his experience with a relatively small amount he could do something nice. The problem with going indie/amateur is inefficiency - shooting only on weekends delays the fuck out the whole process, it's not just 40 days = 20 weekends simple math.

So far he's been working SD and low bitrates which masks a lot of defects, but if he goes HD and decent bitrates any cracks will be magnified and that's a serious issue. Unconsistent focus sucks. Besides, he did everything on a set which means he had a lightning setup already worked up. Once he opens up and goes outside it's a whole new ballgame and lightning gear is expensive, heavy and sucks massive amounts of juice. Good luck asking someone to blow their fuses plugging a big ass HMI on their backyard. And really, bad lightning kills a movie so fast.

I just hope it's better than kickassia... jesus that was one godawful piece of crap. I hope the nostalgia critic mans up and reviews his own product some day.

Anyways, my best wishes to him.

Bitmap Frogs said:
I just hope it's better than kickassia... jesus that was one godawful piece of crap. I hope the nostalgia critic mans up and reviews his own product some day.

Huh? Kickassia is a tribute to all the bad movies and everything hilariously stupid about bad movies and they poke fun at themselves as well. Do people actually think Doug doesn't realize Kickassia is balls?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Cow Mengde said:
Huh? Kickassia is a tribute to all the bad movies and everything hilariously stupid about bad movies and they poke fun at themselves as well. Do people actually think Doug doesn't realize Kickassia is balls?

Well, tell you what the intention was well hidden.

That thing doesn't work neither as a parody nor a tribute.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm just wondering what can he do with the AVGN to make a movie that is worth it? I mean, is it just going to be him playing a bunch of shitty video games with some poor special effects with a few bad guys in costumes like the episodes? I mean, how could that even make something decent for a movie?

Dizzy-4U

Bisnic said:
I'm just wondering what can he do with the AVGN to make a movie that is worth it? I mean, is it just going to be him playing a bunch of shitty video games with some poor special effects with a few bad guys in costumes like the episodes? I mean, how could that even make something decent for a movie?
He said that Wayne's World was the inspiration.

Jasoco

Banned
So basically it'll be a movie about him making an internet show and getting bought by a big network who tries to change everything to the point he takes the show back?

Brad Jones did it a year or so ago. As did many others before him. Therefore I look forward to seeing it.

I have no idea how good the movie will be, but I say let him do his thing. The 2006 episodes were great too so I don't mind if the episodes go back to that simpler style.

Downhome

He has released an iPhone app for $2. I have never actually supported JR other than watching the videos on his site, so I went ahead and bought it even though I almost never pay that much for an app.

NateDrake

Jasoco said:
So basically it'll be a movie about him making an internet show and getting bought by a big network who tries to change everything to the point he takes the show back?

Brad Jones did it a year or so ago. As did many others before him. Therefore I look forward to seeing it.
So it's Wayne's World....

maharg

idspispopd
Awesome. Rosie and Paw over at TGWTG did a letsplay of the PC version of this game a while ago. Really did seem like an infuriating game to play. Kind of wish he'd done a full one of it. :)

J@hranimo

Banned
Awesome video! I've always wondered how he goes about making the episodes. Good in-between video to hold us a little longer until the movie.

TheTurtleTitan said:
:lol :lol :lol

I totally agree with him on Ninja Turtles. Especially on those hard-to-reach pizzas (is it even possible to get to the closing wall one?)

There is this saying in Belgium.

"Een kinderhand is snel gevuld" (literally: a child's hand is easily filled).
It's very true, and not condescending unless you aren't talking about children.

Young kids are easily impressed/content.
They have nothing to compare their experiences to yet and everything is new and fresh.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
maharg said:
Awesome. Rosie and Paw over at TGWTG did a letsplay of the PC version of this game a while ago. Really did seem like an infuriating game to play. Kind of wish he'd done a full one of it. :)

I love Pushing Up Roses's Let's Play Shorty series ( with Todd and Paw ) she play some crazy shit old PC games.

Red UFO

I remember I posted an Angry Nintendo Nerd video on my MySpace years ago and had him as friend. He actually posted a comment saying how grateful he was for posting it. Pretty insane to see how far he's come now.

Amagon

Very insightful video that James had made. I luv the part where he is basically insulting the master race. And holy shit, looking at the list of the amount of hours he put into each video.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I found out about this guy only recently, I love the reviews, there are just too few:(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Ether_Snake said:
I found out about this guy only recently, I love the reviews, there are just too few:(

Too few? He's been doing reviews since 2006 and there is like 100 of them.

And speaking of the movie, does he plan on continuing these 15-20 minutes reviews after he's done with it? I sure hope he don't stop after looking at his collection.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bisnic said:
Too few? He's been doing reviews since 2006 and there is like 100 of them.

And speaking of the movie, does he plan on continuing these 15-20 minutes reviews after he's done with it? I sure hope he don't stop after looking at his collection.

There isn't 100 reviews of games, there's a bunch of other stuff. And there are SO MANY bad old games to review, I never want it to end:)

Whatever I watched them all in like a week. Now I'm waiting for more:(

I loved the Metal Gear Nes one, holy shit I didn't remember it being this ridiculous!

Having done moviemaking and animation for college and some shorts with a friend that reminds me a lot of James Rolfe, because he is really good at making this type of things (he won best short and script in a movie festival, and he was vs professionals that had really good things), I totally understand what James hard work is. We had the same experiences and let me tell you, is not an easy or fast task, theres a lot of work behind, even if its only a short (live action or animated) and not a movie or series.

Mad props for him!

Top Bottom