• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'd actually never seen a ROB in action before. I had a friend when I was young who owned one, but would never let me convince him to actually start it. I see why. I can let go of a long held grudge now.

Trakdown

Great episode, big improvement from many of his recent ones.

Anybody recognize that black/purple visor from the beginning of the vid, where he's constantly saying "This fucking thing"? It's right after the Virtual Boy.

-KRS-

Trakdown said:
Great episode, big improvement from many of his recent ones.

Anybody recognize that black/purple visor from the beginning of the vid, where he's constantly saying "This fucking thing"? It's right after the Virtual Boy.

I also want to know what the hell that was. I thought maybe it was the Sega 3D glasses but a google search says they don't look like that. It looks more like a virtual reality thingy I think.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That was great... I loved it!

I only wish it had a Pat the NES Punk shoutout cuz the evil ROB was kinda his schtick first!

BocoDragon

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Awesome episode. I dare say it's his best. The show has evolved in much the same way that South Park did.
Quite agree. What started as a rather simple schtick that was novel when it was new, but bound to get stale, has managed to up the ante.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It was nice to see a skit at the end, it's been a while (for good reason.) The dialogue with ROB had be cracking up, especially at the beginning. Good ep.

Zee-Row

Banned
I enjoyed it but i wished he had reviewed a more deeper "bad" game so there would be more to talk about. The production was very good also.

wondermega

ackkk.. ROB. I remember seeing that F-ing thing coming out of a giant egg back when they originally started to advertise the NES on TV. It blew my mind "what is this crazy new gaming contraption? I MUST HAVE IT!!!"

Horrible un-fun thing nearly turned me off of games altogether, what were they thinking (I know, I know). Thankfully I picked up Mario some months later and the course of my childhood was righted. No girls or booze for me, for years..

Jasoco

Banned
Iron_Scimitar said:
I think this is the first video where the resolution is 360x640 instead of the usual 360x480.
Yeah. I noticed! It's about time he went Widescreen. Fits on my HDTV much better now. There's no reason not to these days. Most cameras, even ones in phones, are 16:9 these days and YouTuve went wide years ago. In fact, most online video players are widescreen even when the content isn't.

Really good episode. I have a complete (As far as I know) R.O.B. that I got off eBay years ago. It had a broken doohickey, but I got an unbroken one from a friend on DigitalPress... or AtariAge.. or one of those forums and now it's complete. He looks really nice on display.

How many Gyro's did it originally come with? I think it was two, but he had like three or four for some reason. But I believe there were only 2 in the box as well as 2 slots for them in the styrofoam.

Christine

I'm hoping those were broken NES controllers that he used to make the "Gyromite Controller".

Don't get me wrong, it was a hilarious redneck duct-tape engineering abomination, but I'm hoping he didn't sacrifice working NES pads for the sake of the joke. They're not so easy to find anymore.

BocoDragon

TwinIonEngines said:
I'm hoping those were broken NES controllers that he used to make the "Gyromite Controller".

Don't get me wrong, it was a hilarious redneck duct-tape engineering abomination, but I'm hoping he didn't sacrifice working NES pads for the sake of the joke. They're not so easy to find anymore.
Not true at all, my friend. There are 100+ million of them out there (literally). I see them all the time in thrift stores.

Don't worry about it :)

Medalion

Banned
I was kinda let down by this ep overall despite it was funny in parts, especially in watching James give the R.O.B. dirty looks when it was acting too slow or fucking up but the overall ep was more of him doing anything else but reviewing a game or the peripheral

This woulda made a decent filler ep but not for a 100th celebration ep to me

Jasoco

Banned
Medalion said:
I was kinda let down by this ep overall despite it was funny in parts, especially in watching James give the R.O.B. dirty looks when it was acting too slow or fucking up but the overall ep was more of him doing anything else but reviewing a game or the peripheral

This woulda made a decent filler ep but not for a 100th celebration ep to me
R.O.B. SAVED the video game industry. Without him there would BE no AVGN. Of COURSE it's suitable for the 100th episode. No other game is.

MaddenNFL64

Great fuckin' episode. The nerd is awesome, never got jaded about his stuff either, or thought he lost anything. He's funny as hell, and informative :).

Nessus

TwinIonEngines said:

Heh, I always cringe when he ruins something for an episode, like a cartridge or an old Nintendo Power poster.

I always hope that he had multiple copies.

Pretty good episode.

Trakdown said:

synt4x said:
I also want to know what the hell that was. I thought maybe it was the Sega 3D glasses but a google search says they don't look like that. It looks more like a virtual reality thingy I think.

I'm pretty damn sure it's a Stuntmaster VR. And "THIS FUCKING THING" is exactly how I'd refer to it as well. It's yet another product from the "virtual reality" craze of the 90's and it did little more than sucker anyone who dared glance at it. As far as third party peripherals go, it's one of the single most heinously useless devices I've ever encountered ..Now would be a good time to mention that garbage was meant for use with either a Super Nintendo or Genesis.

I could go on about how useless that abombination was, but there's some info to be found via google and I'm not in the mood to rant. :p

Gagaman

he "this fucking thing"ed a vectrex? Booo.

Bloody brilliant episode, even though his done this final battle with lasers and explosions thing before, I loved everything leading up to that. Fun stuff.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
God i fucking hate how he release his video at midnight EST, i always miss them and now that im at work i gotta wait another 8 hours­, and all these comments about how good the episode is makes the wait more annoying. :mad:

webrunner

It's funny, in a way Nintendo's success did have to do with ROB, but not having to do with anything the actual game or anything.

ROB's what made stores actually carry the thing (they didn't want to carry game consoles after the crash).

ROB was Nintendo's Trojan Horse. Super Mario Bros was the Greeks.

Maffis

I laughed constantly throughout the episode, but I pretty much lost it with the gyro, when he imitated Rob's turning and on the look on his face when rob was slow as ass. Oh, and when Rob tipped the stack in the background. So fucking funny :D

Definitely my favorite episode now.

Deku

Banned
He doesn't do these kinds of productions all the time. Was R.O.B. his 100th?

In anycase, loads of fun to watch. And quite informative as I have never seen him in action before.

jhawk6

I laughed out loud at his controller mod. When ROB was being so slow and the look on his face also got an audible chuckle from me

Deku said:
In anycase, loads of fun to watch. And quite informative as I have never seen him in action before.

Same here. It wasn't just entertaining, it was an eye opening experience for me to see something like this in action.

"I dont have thumbs, you moron." :laugh

Also, when the consoles came to life and tied him up w/ their controllers, I fuckin lost it cuz its happened on other occasions. He should just expect that by now LOL

bjork

I thought he might kill the character off, thereby never having to cover E.T., but maybe that'll be episode 125 or something.

Top Bottom