• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

PKrockin

The CDi game looks like the worst game in existence. It looks absolutely wretched and unbearable to play; a deliberate attempt to annoy and frustrate you as much as possible.

N4Us

I was hoping for some miracle that somehow the CD-I version was way better, haha.

Grinchy said:
I know it isn't really possible, but I wish he could somehow do recap episodes where he gets developers of these awful games to come in and talk about what it was like working on such pieces of shit.

Maybe not the same thing, but in a similar fashion, someone e-mailed Jeanne Basone (the actress who played Jane in Plumbers Don't Wear Ties) the episode for his review on that, and apparently she was surprised that it even got released, saying that she and the other actors did the project as a favor to the director.

Amagon

Grinchy said:
I know it isn't really possible, but I wish he could somehow do recap episodes where he gets developers of these awful games to come in and talk about what it was like working on such pieces of shit.
Was thinking the same thing. They all need to put under a firing range.

bender said:
I'd never heard of this game before the AVGN video. It's pretty crazy that you can complete the game in under a minute.
That explains the shitty controls were on purpose.

SalsaShark said:
NIANANANANNA
Kill it with fire! Such a fucking annoying sound effect.

Video was short but pretty fucking funny. Thank you James! Dont forget he is doing Monster Madness this month, uploading new videos everyday.

http://cinemassacre.com

TheYanger

I loved Dark Castle on my...c64? I think is what I had it on (I was like 4). I never got past a single screen I'm fairly sure, but it was SO COOL haha. I've since played that genesis version, what a load of fuck.

Stupacabra said:
There's a huge and apparently uncloseable Rage popup covering half the video. Anyone?

Buy the game (new) and enter the code to disable internet ads about the game.

James is a busy guy right now, especially in October. I was happy enough with Monster Madness, so I'm overjoyed with a new AVGN. The CDi game looks like it was made in Paint.

Holy crap! That game really does look terrifying!

And the best bit is that he was using a MD/GEN controller with the CDI version. Imagine the controls using an actual CDI controller!

I can see why Saddam liked the game!

MaddenNFL64

Just saw it. HOLY FUCK Dark Castle is the worst game i've ever seen.

You want a definition of DERP? Here it is folks. I'm not fucking kidding. Put all your thoughts, your assumptions of the word DERP into one tangible idea. This is it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I lost it at "Saddam was a hardcore gamer."

Lol @ Kyle Justin's skeleton in the background.

bender

What time is it?
Majukun said:
that's the entire game?
what about the other three doors?they're useless?

Well, you can go to the boss stage from the get go but it looks like the other three doors lead to items that help make that stage easier. The door on the right is for a shield. No idea about the other two doors with question marks.

Just imagine, that game probably sold for normal game prices too for the time. Some unfortunate people payed MSRP for it.

cagelessrat said:
Buy the game (new) and enter the code to disable internet ads about the game.
In a sad way, I wished this worked. It's like load up a video somewhere, have to watch a 30 second commercial about Netflix. Click to the next video, have to watch that same commercial again. I subscribe to Netflix, I don't need to watch commercials to sell me on it! Same goes for games I've already preordered or purchased, that sort of thing.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I had this game on the C64. When I was a kid, I liked it. Realize now it was a bomb.

ny8m6u.jpg

Holy shit, that was goddamn amazing.

Never heard of Dark Castle before, but it really looks like one the worst game's he's ever reviewed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hopefully he looks at other notorious Genesis ports like Sword of Sodan and Shadow of the Beast.
I can't wait for the movie, reading Cinemassacre it sounds like he's giving it his all. Hell, he just became a YouTube Partner to gain additional funding for it.

A huge wave of nostalgia washed over me when I detected I might recognize that game title.

It's funny how bad games were fun when I was a kid, I actually enjoyed this game for many reasons.

Davey Cakes

It amazes me how so many games from back then (and, hell, some games from now as well) fail to be good mostly because of bad controls. The player's input is what you'd think would be a completely fundamental aspect of games to try to get right.

Things like level design, music, story, and even difficulty should come AFTER a proper control scheme is implemented. What's interesting is that difficulty in games like Dark Castle actually comes from the horrible controls, and that's a really big problem. It's one thing to restrict the player's movement in some way (classic jump control in Castlevania, for example) as a mere aspect of the play style, but it's something else to develop a control scheme itself that's restrictive due to unresponsiveness and unreliability.

It really makes you think of all the games that came out that were automatically bad because of their controls.

aaaaaa

The graffiti in the Macintosh version was originally "Alaric Was Here", "Huns Rule" and "Vandals Sack". Alaric being the leader in the 410CE Sack of Rome.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The game wasn't that bad on the Mac. It definitely had it's issues, but I can't imagine how anyone thought it would be remotely playable without a mouse.

In the original Mac version of the game, you controlled the character with WASD or the arrows, and his arm was completely analog, controlled with the mouse.

Kagami

I thought the title sounded familiar but couldn't quite remember it until people said it was on Mac. I played this in black-and-white on a a Mac SE in high school, I think. Didn't get very far.

DJ_Lae

FlyinJ said:
The game wasn't that bad on the Mac. It definitely had it's issues, but I can't imagine how anyone thought it would be remotely playable without a mouse.

In the original Mac version of the game, you controlled the character with WASD or the arrows, and his arm was completely analog, controlled with the mouse.

I really enjoyed it on Mac, as well as the sequel Beyond Dark Castle. Beat them a ton of times.

I did play the Genesis version and yeah, its controls made the game basically unplayable.

Jasoco

Banned
Dark Castle? More like Dark Asshole.

Some areas look like a terribly programmed version of the Donkey Kong series. Like the guy who throws barrels or the vines. Plus the Galaxian style birds. (He called them bats. But they were obviously birds.) They borrowed from a lot of games.

Utako

Banned
I have a fever. Dark Castle made me want to throw up. But those are the games which make classic AVGNs. Hilarious!

Top Bottom