• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That's cool. I never noticed that he wrote his name on the SMB cart!

And that was a real system they destroyed. :(

I remember him saying that SNES was already busted when it was donated to him (someone didn't respect their consoles) so he used that for a little destruction.

You know, all these people so opposed to donations funding the movie, it makes me wonder. How would they react when they learn that's how PBS runs? Entirely on donations from companies and viewers. Would they cry out that Sesame Street is the product of the devil?

James is in LA right now, and so is GameTrailers. They're just asking him to take a few minutes out and record some quick and easy things, cuz nerd stuff has the most views on GT.

BatDan

It's funny. For months James, Mike, and everyone involved in Cinemassacre has been saying "There's going to be a delay because James will be in LA filming his movie". Yet EVERYDAY there are people that don't realize this.

It's like people don't listen man...

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
James is in LA right now, and so is GameTrailers. They're just asking him to take a few minutes out and record some quick and easy things, cuz nerd stuff has the most views on GT.

That doesn't surprise me. I only ever watch his videos on there. Does he make good money doing AVGN/Cinemassacre videos? I hope he does but I always got the impression it was a side gig to whatever his regular job is.

It's funny. For months James, Mike, and everyone involved in Cinemassacre has been saying "There's going to be a delay because James will be in LA filming his movie". Yet EVERYDAY there are people that don't realize this.

It's like people don't listen man...

I think people are just surprised that it is taking this long to complete the movie. When they first talked about it, I thought it would be like an extended, hour and a half long to two hour episode of AVGN but as it goes on, it seems like something much bigger than that. I could've sworn I heard someone say they were aiming to have it distributed in theaters.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
That doesn't surprise me. I only ever watch his videos on there. Does he make good money doing AVGN/Cinemassacre videos? I hope he does but I always got the impression it was a side gig to whatever his regular job is.

I think people are just surprised that it is taking this long to complete the movie. When they first talked about it, I thought it would be like an extended, hour and a half long to two hour episode of AVGN but as it goes on, it seems like something much bigger than that. I could've sworn I heard someone say they were aiming to have it distributed in theaters.

That someone would be Rolfe, and that's pretty much what he has been saying since the start. In one of the very first videos (perhaps the very first?) he talked about the movie he said he wanted in cinemas or at least to take it to some film festivals.

alienerd.jpg

I'm not saying it was LJN, but it was LJN.

thefro

Video of a Nerd & Mike Matei panel at the Too Many Games Expo from a few days ago.

They really go into some interesting detail on how they started doing the videos. Didn't realize that Matei was basically involved from the beginning.

Also, I'm amused that half the crowd seems to be between 12-16.

TheContact

mother fucker mike is awesome B^)

lol at cross fire in board james

how can people hate mike :(

I don't hate Mike it's just that he's trying to fill the void, in his own way, that James left while he's filming his movie. Mike just isn't funny, it's more informative, and his writing is all over the place. He does great art though. I still watch the videos he releases, but there's nothing special about him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't hate Mike, but he doesn't have the knack for producing videos like James. Not in his blood.

Downhome

While we wait for more videos from these guys, are there any other videos like this online anywhere? I get the Irate Gamer and the HVGN but they almost never update or they are just awful. I love watching old game reviews period. Any suggestions for anything else like this?

As for Mike, I enjoy his videos. He's not the AVGN, but I like his style, almost like just one of us doing a video for the heck of it. It works for me now and then.

BatDan

While we wait for more videos from these guys, are there any other videos like this online anywhere? I get the IVGN and the HVGN but they almost never update or they are just awful. I love watching old game reviews period. Any suggestions for anything else like this?

As for Mike, I enjoy his videos. He's not the AVGN, but I like his style, almost like just one of us doing a video for the heck of it. It works for me now and then.

Who?

Sadly, people like the AVGN are kind of rare now. Most of the ones that existed before have stopped or changed styles.

Downhome

My bad, the Irate Gamer. I've never really cared for his stuff at all. I just want to punch him in the face.

Sadly, people like the AVGN are kind of rare now. Most of the ones that existed before have stopped or changed styles.

That really sucks. You'd think out of everyone on the internet there would at least be something else decent that is close.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
While we wait for more videos from these guys, are there any other videos like this online anywhere? I get the Irate Gamer and the HVGN but they almost never update or they are just awful. I love watching old game reviews period. Any suggestions for anything else like this?

Jon Tron is fantastic and totally underrated. One thing I like about him is that he covers pretty much all time periods of gaming.

HVGN is amazing please don't lump him in with the human turd ''the Irate Gamer''.

As for good review shows;

Phelous
http://phelous.com/node/1174

Ashens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wed_bW8iiEw&feature=plcp

Juru Larry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqWk6s60dk&feature=plcp

Spoony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5cIUrx_ttg

AT4W
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/13915-ep067

Nothing sad about it, AVGN clones where terrible, the real sad thing is that everyone is now ripping of Redlettermedia/ the Plinkett reviews.

Jackano

We have an AVGN-like guy / AVGN clone in France called the player of the attic and I never get to enjoy his videos. But it seems he have a certain success with mostly french people who doesn't know the AVGN.
I believe the AVGN is one of the firsts and one of the most successfull guys doing this kind of videos so I stick with the best and can't go back to some videos in my native language!

We have an AVGN-like guy / AVGN clone in France called the player of the attic and I never get to enjoy his videos. But it seems he have a certain success with mostly french people who doesn't know the AVGN.
I believe the AVGN is one of the firsts and one of the most successfull guys doing this kind of videos so I stick with the best and can't go back to some videos in my native language!

I just googled... it's Benzaie I only speak English and I like his vids.

AF_Writer

Banned

I've always enjoyed the Happy Console Gamer: http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyConsoleGamer. His videos aren't as produced as what you'd find in AVGN, but the guy talks about some really great, old school games and some pretty obscure games, too. He really knows his stuff.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
HVGN is amazing please don't lump him in with the human turd ''the Irate Gamer''.

As for good review shows;

Phelous
http://phelous.com/node/1174

Ashens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wed_bW8iiEw&feature=plcp

Juru Larry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqWk6s60dk&feature=plcp

Spoony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5cIUrx_ttg

AT4W
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/13915-ep067

Nothing sad about it, AVGN clones where terrible, the real sad thing is that everyone is now ripping of Redlettermedia/ the Plinkett reviews.

Ashens is magnificent.

rezuth

Jon Tron is fantastic and totally underrated. One thing I like about him is that he covers pretty much all time periods of gaming.

Watched his Nuts and Bolts review... Yeah that was shit. A fourth of the review was some lame live-action shit with a parrot and bad SFX. The rest is spent yelling into the mic and showing as much large fonts as possible over the video. Its like two.. maybe three minutes of actual good content in the video.

I have to say though that I have a weak spot for Two Best Friends Play.Two Best Friends Play : Xbox Live Indie Games II

BatDan

Good point, almost all the AVGN clones were garbage. Like Game Dude... *shudders*

I haven't seen any of the Plinkett clones. I should be glad.

My friend showed me him the other day and I enjoy some of his stuff. Though sometimes...

Watched his Nuts and Bolts review... Yeah that was shit. A fourth of the review was some lame live-action shit with a parrot and bad SFX. The rest is spent yelling into the mic and showing as much large fonts as possible over the video. Its like two.. maybe three minutes of actual good content in the video.
... it ends up like this. His Nuts and Bolts video is, imo, pretty terrible. That may be because I enjoyed the game for what it was, but it was him screaming and being rather annoying most of the time.

There's a lot of stuff on Retroware TV. I really like Let's Get, and 16-bit Gems is okay too.
On Retroware I usually watch The Game Chasers. Enjoyable guys just going around and looking for games. Maybe I'll check out the ones you posted.

-KRS-

It's not reviews in that sense, but I have to recommend the Chrontendo series as well. It's more like a... documentary series or something. The guy, Dr. Sparkle, goes through and details each and every Famicom and NES game in chronological order. In that sense it's even better than reviews because you get to know most of the interesting facts about the games and the development of them, as well as how they play and hold up today. It's not really "entertainment" though. He's totally serious about it, so he doesn't joke around very much. It's very informational, but you probably wont find it very interesting unless you're like me and is totally obsessed about the 8-bit era of gaming. Still though, give it a try! :)

Here's episode 1:
http://archive.org/details/Chrontendo_Vol_1

There's also Chronsega (Master System) And Chronturbo (Turbographx-16).

eXistor

I don't hate Mike it's just that he's trying to fill the void, in his own way, that James left while he's filming his movie. Mike just isn't funny, it's more informative, and his writing is all over the place. He does great art though. I still watch the videos he releases, but there's nothing special about him.

Mike is a naturally funny dude, it's just his actual writing kinda sucks. All the behind the scenes stuff I've seen shows him actually coming up with a lot of the jokes James used in his vids and he's actually quite quick on the draw when it comes to improvising.

That said, as soon as he sits down and tries to produce his own material, it kind of seems to fall flat. Not that his videos aren't entertaining, but they seem overthought. He needs to do more stuff on the fly, that seems to be his strong suit.

Top Bottom