• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Grinchy

Banned
I liked the new episode and the behind the couch shot was hilarious.

I do kind of wish he'd drop a little bit of the act, though.

Why was this uploaded to youtube before GT? not that I'm complaining but I find it weird

Only at the beginning for me, or maybe I got used to it.

Mike Matei said back in the day they had problems getting a partnership with YouTube, which was likely because his TMNT III movie review got tagged for copyright. That means his account has a strike on it (three strikes and your account is terminated). Nowadays, anyone can monetize their videos on YT without being a partner. I would presume that's why.

What behind-the-couch shot? I didnt see any.

eJZlql.jpg

Rapstah

I remember when he was on the Arsenio Hall show and he explained that his name came from "schwarzen egger" which meant "black plowman".

I think he's wrong. There's a Swiss mountain town called "Schwarzenegg", "Blacktop", and his name is just "-er" turning that into a person descriptor.

Santar

Didn't really like this episode. He just seemed so incredibly fake and even cringeworthy at times. Almost like a cartoon version of himself. But then again I always enjoyed the nerd videos more when he actually talks rationally about the games. Can't stand his "acting".

eXistor

Whatever happened to Kyle anyway (besides rotting behind the couch)? It's been so long since we've seen him with James. I always liked him in his videos. Maybe his music career took off?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It feels weird to watch AVGN in 1080p. I'm used to the shitty low quality videos. :lol

It's nice to have him back though. Hopefully the next one isn't in 6 months.

thefro

It's nice to have him back though. Hopefully the next one isn't in 6 months.

I believe they hired someone to help edit the AVGN movie, so that should free James up to make these semi-regularly again. I'd expect one every couple months at least.

Loved it.

It was vintage nerd, to me. Good balance of angry nerd moments and game history/information.

8/10 overall and a great effort considering he hadn't done one in so long.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well, he has to think of his carpet. Water is nothing. :p

Actually, his reason for using water is that he does multiple takes where he swigs from the bottle. One to avoid inebriation and the other is that he often does filming in the morning.

Though I think he confirmed the Rolling Rock in the Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde video (the first one) was real.

Apparently, I'm as indifferent with the avgn as James is playing him. Just going through the motions. Nothing more to say about anything either, not that there is anything more to say. Bad old school video games isn't exactly the deepest of wells.

I'm sure the movie is wearing him thin also. He's giving it his all with his faces though, but it's not making me laugh, it's making me uncomfortable, like watching a comedienne past his prime gut out old material to a crowd that's heard it all a few too many times. He's bombing, but not for trying. Nothing much has changed: same jokes, same delivery...if a bit over rehearsed and coming from the mouth of an older version of the same man. And yet I find myself getting up and going to the bathroom in the middle of the act and feeling a little guilty when I turn my back.

I don't know, I feel like the concept is played out at this point + I remember seeing some of the games in his movie licence VG special(?). I particularly remember the glory holes - he messed up that joke btw.
If he runs out of material then why doesn't he move on to 32/64?

Boring overall.

Razek

Banned
It's much better than his stuff right before he left for the movie.

Looking back at something like his Lester the Unlikely review where he was half asleep the whole time, I think this was a pretty good step in the right direction.

This thread introduced me the the Nintendo Nerd and took me on a trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing this.

i'm so jealous. finding his vids a couple years ago during winter break and watching them all the first time was such a blast!

i've seen them all about 5 times since.

Apparently, I'm as indifferent with the avgn as James is playing him. Just going through the motions. Nothing more to say about anything either, not that there is anything more to say. Bad old school video games isn't exactly the deepest of wells.

I'm sure the movie is wearing him thin also. He's giving it his all with his faces though, but it's not making me laugh, it's making me uncomfortable, like watching a comedienne past his prime gut out old material to a crowd that's heard it all a few too many times. He's bombing, but not for trying. Nothing much has changed: same jokes, same delivery...if a bit over rehearsed and coming from the mouth of an older version of the same man. And yet I find myself getting up and going to the bathroom in the middle of the act and feeling a little guilty when I turn my back.

it is pretty much the same, maybe not as energetic this time since he was doing this pretty much on demand from fans and is still in the middle of dealing with the movie, but it sounds like you're over it, which is fine

Phenomic

Whatever happened to Kyle anyway (besides rotting behind the couch)? It's been so long since we've seen him with James. I always liked him in his videos. Maybe his music career took off?

I don't recall the episode with him behind the couch? Did he get left there for some reason? Or did Nerd just forget about him.

GavinGT

Banned
He seemed rusty. I bet he only put out this episode to get back into playing the character for the purposes of filming the movie.

Top Bottom