• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

jett

D-Member
Awesome, hah. I've actually played several of the games in the episode. I don't remember Total Recall being super awful but Predator was complete garbage. Big mode takes me back LOL.

I wonder what happened to his Gametrailers deal.

btrboyev

He seemed rusty. I bet he only put out this episode to get back into playing the character for the purposes of filming the movie.

I wish he would go on to some games from other platforms more often. Also can tell he bought himself a new camera as the video quality seemed mic better than normal episodes.

Lothar

Banned
While I enjoyed it and I'm really happy to be watching another AVGN video, his acting did seem a bit over the top and fake. It never felt close to genuine anger. With Battletoads, Dick Tracy, and TMNT the hate felt real and genuine.

I loved this episode on a very personal level, as I've ALWAYS wanted him to do Predator. It was the very first NES game I bought with my own money when I was a kid, and I hated the game so much that it literally made me cry.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
eJZlql.jpg

Highlight of the episode.

Loved all the callbacks to the old games he's reviewed. Always makes the new reviews feel "legit," in a way.

The move to HD didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I thought it would completely betray the low-fi spirit of AVGN but it seems like a logical progression.

Some of the swearing was a bit forced but I actually thought it was better here than the last 10-15 eps.

Overall a solid 8/10 ep, the Nerd is back, long live the Nerd.

Found out about him in '07 or so. I always love watching his videos and I've enjoyed pretty much all of them except for the Star Trek one which is his worst imo.

he should reboot the show completely. I am getting annoyed at hearing the same old shit again and again.

he also looks old and tired, maybe he should rest a bit

Defuser

he should reboot the show completely. I am getting annoyed at hearing the same old shit again and again.

he also looks old and tired, maybe he should rest a bit

Considering he also runs Cinemassacre doing reviews for movies, board games and his bullshit series. It's amazing he's still able to churn out AVGN.

megamerican

No matter what I'm happy to have the Nerd back at it. But yeah, this episode felt a bit forced. I think he's best when he dials down the persona a bit and is slightly more mellow.

Liked the episode, but...

... all the "angry"-moments werent angry at all. It just felt like he said "cocksucking motherfucking dick of whatever" in his normal, calm voice.

Davey Cakes

The anger doesn't always come off as genuine, but when it does it's great.

When he was going into nerd rage mode trying to beat the Predator boss, I found the whole thing hilariously relatable. Who hasn't experienced that feeling of gritting your teeth and muscling through a part of a game like that because you were sick of bullshit and just wanted to finish it? Good stuff.

He needs to pick games that really do have outstanding flaws besides sheer difficulty, so that the complaints aren't hyperbolic. I actually enjoyed the Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout review a lot because the whole point was that it wasn't hard to beat the game; the problem was that the game was so badly designed that you could get hit over and over and yet still make it through, as if the game really is forcing to put up with its shittiness to the very end.

I enjoy the angle when a game is so frustrating that you can't get past a certain point or you just stop playing because it's shit, but I also appreciate when other flaws are made apparent. Frustration can come not only from mere difficulty, but also really bad design choices that make the gameplay entirely unsatisfying.

CassSept

Loved the episode, really felt genuinely great after all these bad, guest character and special effects-driven episodes (sure, there were some exceptions to that, like first Bugs Bunny episode or SMB3... damn, how long ago that was though).

Liked the episode, but...

... all the "angry"-moments werent angry at all. It just felt like he said "cocksucking motherfucking dick of whatever" in his normal, calm voice.

Kinda true, but I liked how he burned through all his "catchphrases" within 30 seconds around the middle of the episode and just went on with the review.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How can the title be edited so many times but still have the name wrong? It's been "Angry Video Game Nerd" for a while...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
James begs to differ.

It also doesn't make sense. He's reviewed non-Nintendo and non-NES games. In fact, probably more so in fact.

It was good to see AVGN back in a traditional episode, and after being away from somethign for awhile, you have to get back into the groove. Some very funny parts, but some of his outbursts seemed off a bit.

Oh look, LiK is back. What earned you that ban?

LiK

It was good to see AVGN back in a traditional episode, and after being away from somethign for awhile, you have to get back into the groove. Some very funny parts, but some of his outbursts seemed off a bit.

Oh look, LiK is back. What earned you that ban?

a joke that was taken too seriously. :3

Endo Punk

Angry VIDEO GAME nerd is great and I can't wait for the movie. I'm glad he still finds time to make these episodes and judging by this one he still got it.

ZenaxPure

I actually think this is his best episode in a long time. I found it very reminiscent of his earlier stuff, a nice mix of outbursts, game info, and well timed jokes. Hope he makes more episodes like that.

I'm cool with AVGN as long as there are no long, drawn-out skits or extraneous, super-imposed characters. The videos with Glitch Gremlin and Nerdy Turd still hurt my soul. I remember the biggest negative backlash he ever got for a video was the Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle one because it was about 75% fight scenes and 25% actual game bitching.

Rapstah

I'm cool with AVGN as long as there are no long, drawn-out skits or extraneous, super-imposed characters. The videos with Glitch Gremlin and Nerdy Turd still hurt my soul. I remember the biggest negative backlash he ever got for a video was the Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle one because it was about 75% fight scenes and 25% actual game bitching.

After having seen Minecraft with Gadget, I'm almost completely certain that those parts were all Mike's idea.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Bit low on energy, but otherwise it was fine.

I don't know about HD... loved the lofi and grittyness of shitty home video cameras.

Let's see how it goes from here, but I'm glad he's back.

Bit low on energy, but otherwise it was fine.

I don't know about HD... loved the lofi and grittyness of shitty home video cameras.

Let's see how it goes from here, but I'm glad he's back.

Really? Holy fuck people, its not that it was a black and white series and you had nostalgia, is that the quality of the first videos looked like shit. The camera he is using now its making it lovely, and it doesnt lose a thing.
If he had started with a good camera, the series would have had the same quality, he didnt use shitty cameras because it was an artistic choice, it was because he could not afford better ones.
Sometimes people criticise only for criticise.

I watched it and have to say this is what AVGN is all about to me, no filter rubbish but pure playing and raging/loving depending on what, top stuff.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, who cares if it's filmed in HD? Everything needs to be HD these days. Even most of TGWTG has converted over to HD. Many YouTube people have switched. About time we get some Nerd HD goodness. HD actually makes the low-resolution pixellation of the console recording look better anyway.

Viva la HD!

rezuth

Really? Holy fuck people, its not that it was a black and white series and you had nostalgia, is that the quality of the first videos looked like shit. The camera he is using now its making it lovely, and it doesnt lose a thing.
If he had started with a good camera, the series would have had the same quality, he didnt use shitty cameras because it was an artistic choice, it was because he could not afford better ones.
Sometimes people criticise only for criticise.

I can certainly see how it adds to the nostalgia and overall feel when he used a shitty camera, even if it was not on purpose ;)

I would love for him to start reviewing some more SNES, Genesis, Turbo 16, Neo Geo, PS1, Saturn and N64 games.
The early 3D systems (PS1, Saturn, N64) would be cool but I seem to recall him saying the few times he did throw in a PS1 game that he was never really a huge fan of those systems. He mostly sticks to games he played when he was a little kid, when N64 and such came out he was already in his later teen years I assume... so less nostalgia for him to reminisce.

Loxley

The early 3D systems (PS1, Saturn, N64) would be cool but I seem to recall him saying the few times he did throw in a PS1 game that he was never really a huge fan of those systems. He mostly sticks to games he played when he was a little kid, when N64 and such came out he was already in his later teen years I assume... so less nostalgia for him to reminisce.

Yeah, he did you a couple one-off, non-AVGN reviews of games from this gen (Ghostbusters and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow). But that was only because he was receiving overwhelming requests from fans to review them, since he reviewed the old Ghostbusters and Castlevania games from the early 90's and everyone was curious about what he thought of them.

He also did Superman 64 because of, again, overwhelming demand, but as far as I'm concerned he can ignore the N64 and PS1 for as long as he wants (despite the fact that I'm in the group who would love to see him review more games from those platforms).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyway, shitty 2D games have that special kind of shit that no 3D games can replicate. So i'm okay if he stick to that.

I remember when he did Independence Day for the PS1. Was definitely one of his low-tier episodes.

Davey Cakes

I love the beginning of the Colecovision episode, where he gets legitimately pissed off because the AC adapter is gigantic. "What the fuck were they thinking?!" Perfect.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This thread was made before Facebook even became available to public.

This has to be the oldest still-going thread on GAF, right?

And this thread still dont have 6000 posts. I'm kinda surprised after so long, i thought this guy was more popular here after so many years and videos.

Top Bottom