• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Also, holy shit was there actually Waterworld for Virtual Boy? Just the idea of that is a punchline in itself

Yup.

And as you can guess, it's pretty terrible.

Apparently pretty rare too, it's going for $60+ on ebay.

He reviewed it back when he reviewed the Virtual Boy itself. (And the other 13 games released in NA)

Mupod

Yup.

And as you can guess, it's pretty terrible.

Apparently pretty rare too, it's going for $60+ on ebay.

He reviewed it back when he reviewed the Virtual Boy itself. (And the other 13 games released in NA)

I've totally watched that video at least once before, so that says something about what my memory is like these days.

Also, holy shit was there actually Waterworld for Virtual Boy? Just the idea of that is a punchline in itself

Yeah, there were some console Waterworld games in development, but they were all canned in the US. The only Waterworld games actually released here are the VB game (which is pretty bad, by all accounts), and a PC RTS released a few years later. The SNES and Game Boy Waterworld games did release in Europe (only), though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
9182120582_2ea3e00781_o.gif

EDIT: Or alternately with text

9182164854_7bcfd2b04f_o.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
I watched the Virtual Boy and Dick Tracy reviews again. This is such a great series. I forgot just how rage filled the Dick Tracy review is. haha

CassSept

Really great episode, I can't remember the last one I enjoyed that much. "Audience of intelligent sloths" was too good #dead

Anybody else notice a Fred Fuchs callback? It's not really too hidden, but it's easy to miss.

These LJN movie games are truly baffling as to how they seriously think a fucking kid could figure out how to do all this shit without the Internet.

Gestahl

That fucking Bill & Ted game still haunts me to this day. Even as memories made as a six-seven year old those terrible green fields are still engraved on my mind. Didn't know jack about the rest of the awfulness because, well, I was fucking six or seven years old but I still knew this wasn't a good game.

maharg

idspispopd
These LJN movie games are truly baffling as to how they seriously think a fucking kid could figure out how to do all this shit without the Internet.

Eh. Nintendo Power, GamePro, EGM, the Nintendo Tip Hotline, friends, etc. The information wasn't as voluminous but it did spread fairly quickly.

I actually can't remember if I actually played this or just read about it. If I played it I didn't play it for long, but it's always stuck in my head as an early example of an adventury game with a 3/4 view.

I was at a friends house and they were playing this game. I asked if I could play it. It was some horse riding stage. They didn't let me. Years (probably more like decades) later I played it. I... um... it was horrible.

When i watched his Bart vs the Space Mutants episode, I was shocked at how obscure it was to beat the first level.
Even if I played it as a adult with all my game experience, I would probably not have figured out how to beat the first level with a guide telling you want to do.

Raitaro

As an AVGN fan from pretty much day one, I always tend to keep a close thing on anything James does.

Nowadays though, and I'm not sure if is because of a real decrease in quality or because I got bitten by the Gaf negativity bug, but I barely laugh at any of his AVGN videos anymore apart from the occasional chuckle. I still like their overall production qualities and can agree with his implicit analysis of the terrible games he covers, but do I LOL? No, I do not anymore.

Maybe I've just grown too old for this kind of humor, but the odd thing is, is that James himself almost seems to have as well going by the fact that he simply can't seem to get into his old diarrhea filled and foul mouthed role as before. Maybe he is starting to envision how his child will react to seeing him in the future? I don't know. (The same applies to Doug Walker the Nostalgia Critic by the way; it's like these guys might be holding onto the worldview of their younger selves too forcefully in some cases and ignore their more wizened up sides when giving critiques.)

What I do know is that I still really enjoy all of his (horror) movie reviews, board James videos and James and Mike play videos. Here he is either more into his role as film maker or is mostly serious about his subject matter, though in both cases he still let's the Nerd and his rude humor shine through the cracks sometimes. As long as he also keeps making those, I'll remain a fan for sure.

And more on topic: if he ever gets the chance to make a second feature film (assuming this isn't covered in the first one), he REALLY should have it revolve around LJN and their infamous legacy. How about a movie in which he hunts down each former member (who actually star in the movie because they know their games sucked) as a kind of assassin on a holy mission (his employer being - I don't know - a game god or good games vatican or something) to rid the world of this legacy and find out the truth about why these games were made in the first place? I would watch that.

120v

the last few episodes were pretty meh but when it comes episodes like this i think he's still got it. i mean, i don't really guffaw at avgn anymore but theres only so many absurdly awful old nes games like in the classic episodes. i'm shocked bill and ted wasn't even covered yet, actually

This episode wasn't too great, but it wasnt terrible either.

IT just seems like as if Rolfe isn't putting as much effort into these videos as he used to.

He used to go "all out" on production and creativity. Now he just throws out more cuss words.

Like I said, not bad, but still lacking.

AcridMeat

Banned
Raitaro I agree with you for the most part. This character, especially for the internet is quite old at this point, so obviously he's more mature now with him being married and having a kid. So in that sense yes it isn't quite the same, but I think it speaks volumes about the quality that this most recent episode was enjoyable for me in the same way I enjoyed old episodes of the series.

120v I thought he already did Bill & Ted as well!

The problem with some of the more recent episodes is that it's pretty apparant that he's forcing some of the anger/profanity. Not in the "it's scripted" sense because no shit, it pretty much always has been. It just feels tired, and he knows it's tired, but he pushes it anyway and it comes across exactly as well as you'd expect

The last stretch of this episode in particular felt like that. The episode itself had its moments (the LJN logo reveal, the E.T.-ease) but it felt rote and dragged on. He really ought to have retired the series when he moved on to the movie as was the original plan. Angry Video Game Nerd's had a good run, time to let it rest.

maharg

idspispopd
The problem with some of the more recent episodes is that it's pretty apparant that he's forcing some of the anger/profanity. Not in the "it's scripted" sense because no shit, it pretty much always has been. It just feels tired, and he knows it's tired, but he pushes it anyway and it comes across exactly as well as you'd expect

The last stretch of this episode in particular felt like that. The episode itself had its moments (the LJN logo reveal, the E.T.-ease) but it felt rote and dragged on. He really ought to have retired the series when he moved on to the movie as was the original plan. Angry Video Game Nerd's had a good run, time to let it rest.

I don't blame either the James or Doug for coming back. Asking them to retire these characters at this point is asking them to axe their living, and really if someone came along and said you should quit your job because they happen to be bored of watching you do it would you? People obviously haven't stopped watching, and that's really the only metric that matters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heh, of course Nostalgia Critic tried to retire his character and it turns out people want more of the same. You can't win unfortunately.

eXistor

This episode wasn't too great, but it wasnt terrible either.

IT just seems like as if Rolfe isn't putting as much effort into these videos as he used to.

I think he's just spent. I haven't watched this episode yet, but it's been clear for quite a while that he keeps doing these because the fans want it and it pays the bills.
He should really do something else. Maybe still bad video games, but go into more serious detail as to why a game is so bad, not just for entertainment value, but more as a critical view. On the other hand, that means alienating his many fans and it'll just mean that the Nerd will make a forced return after a while anyway after fan pressure.

I don't blame either the James or Doug for coming back. Asking them to retire these characters at this point is asking them to axe their living, and really if someone came along and said you should quit your job because they happen to be bored of watching you do it would you? People obviously haven't stopped watching, and that's really the only metric that matters.

Well yeah, I don't expect them to stop doing it while it's still a source of income for them. I just meant it in an offhand "Simpsons should've stopped at season 10" manner. Fair play to them if they want to keep going, and I've still enjoyed some of their later input (like I said, more recent Nerd episodes have had their moments, and I liked Doug's last video).

I'd like to see James be able to branch out a bit more to other stuff, though. I know he's got James & Mike Play going and we got a new Board James a while back, but I'd love to see some other stuff from him and I'm sure he'd like to do new things too. I understand that the Nerd is more lucrative but it's disappointing if the time/resources dedicated to it are holding other projects back.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think he's just spent. I haven't watched this episode yet, but it's been clear for quite a while that he keeps doing these because the fans want it and it pays the bills.
He should really do something else. Maybe still bad video games, but go into more serious detail as to why a game is so bad, not just for entertainment value, but more as a critical view. On the other hand, that means alienating his many fans and it'll just mean that the Nerd will make a forced return after a while anyway after fan pressure.
Hrm... On the other hand, that's basically how Red Letter Media's reviews were born.

maharg

idspispopd

I really doubt that's something he wants to do. He has always drawn the other way, towards making the episodes more focused on spectacle, and the movie looks like more of that. I don't think he's really interested in why games are bad at all and it'd come off even more forced if he tried to go that way.

This series isn't the same for me since i watched the "behind the scenes" episode and found out his commentary and reactions aren't actually recorded while he plays the game, he just reads from a script. I really wish i never knew that's the way he does it, sorry if i've just ruined it for other people too! :(

Dereck

As an AVGN fan from pretty much day one, I always tend to keep a close thing on anything James does.

Nowadays though, and I'm not sure if is because of a real decrease in quality or because I got bitten by the Gaf negativity bug, but I barely laugh at any of his AVGN videos anymore apart from the occasional chuckle. I still like their overall production qualities and can agree with his implicit analysis of the terrible games he covers, but do I LOL? No, I do not anymore.

Maybe I've just grown too old for this kind of humor, but the odd thing is, is that James himself almost seems to have as well going by the fact that he simply can't seem to get into his old diarrhea filled and foul mouthed role as before. Maybe he is starting to envision how his child will react to seeing him in the future? I don't know. (The same applies to Doug Walker the Nostalgia Critic by the way; it's like these guys might be holding onto the worldview of their younger selves too forcefully in some cases and ignore their more wizened up sides when giving critiques.)

What I do know is that I still really enjoy all of his (horror) movie reviews, board James videos and James and Mike play videos. Here he is either more into his role as film maker or is mostly serious about his subject matter, though in both cases he still let's the Nerd and his rude humor shine through the cracks sometimes. As long as he also keeps making those, I'll remain a fan for sure.

And more on topic: if he ever gets the chance to make a second feature film (assuming this isn't covered in the first one), he REALLY should have it revolve around LJN and their infamous legacy. How about a movie in which he hunts down each former member (who actually star in the movie because they know their games sucked) as a kind of assassin on a holy mission (his employer being - I don't know - a game god or good games vatican or something) to rid the world of this legacy and find out the truth about why these games were made in the first place? I would watch that.
There's been over one hundred episodes of the exact same thing, that's what it boils down to. I'm surprised he hasn't stopped doing angry reviews completely by this point. More Let's Plays.

I really doubt that's something he wants to do. He has always drawn the other way, towards making the episodes more focused on spectacle, and the movie looks like more of that. I don't think he's really interested in why games are bad at all and it'd come off even more forced if he tried to go that way.

Yeah, watching anything other than the Nerd videos makes it clear that films and film making are more James' passion and games just happened to work as a subject to hook that to.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

You're probably just getting burnt out of it. He generally stick to the same schtick, not that it's a bad thing but it's become a bit worn out perhaps. I still enjoy watching him if not just for the reviews alone since I grew up with pretty much all the games he showcases. Not to mention he still does make me laugh.

eXistor

Well, that's just something I could imagine he could do, without ditching his existing fanbase too much, but it's just an idea from me, not a serious suggestion in any way.

If anything, if James wanted to do what he wanted, he would make oldskool horror movies inspired by the early classic ones like Dracula, it's clear that his heart lies there.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Having a reliable, steady source of income is nice when you have a wife and a newborn child.

He provides for his family by making dumb videos on the internet about video games. I doubt he minds too much.

FoxSpirit

Wow, best episode in a long time, a lot better than the Toxie one!
Yeah, and notice one thing?? The Rollin' Rock is back.

It's in my honest opinion that the only way to do an episode properly is get a bit wasted, then play some of that shitty game until you get actually angry and then act out the script. It's about the authentic frustration with the game, the real anger on screen.

LJN games do tend to suck but they published some really... interesting games. There's really nothing else quite like Friday the 13th, Bill and Ted, Jaws, Roger Rabbit, Town and Country, etc. You can't say they're generic or particularly derivative, at least. Ft13th in particular is one of my most memorable early video game experiences. And they published True Lies, which I loved.

Top Bottom