• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Fox Mulder

LJN games do tend to suck but they published some really... interesting games. There's really nothing else quite like Friday the 13th, Bill and Ted, Jaws, Roger Rabbit, Town and Country, etc. You can't say they're generic or particularly derivative, at least. Ft13th in particular is one of my most memorable early video game experiences. And they published True Lies, which I loved.

LJN gets shit, but I found it interesting how Rare developed Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Beetlejuice, and A Nightmare on Elm Street. The Karate Kid was made by Atlus. T&C Surf Design and A Nightmare on Elm Street are okay games as well.

I'm so glad my parents didn't buy (or let me buy) games when I was a kid...'cause I would have paid full price for this piece of shit.

I rented it several times, though. It was fucking Bill & Ted - surely I'd figure out some redeeming qualities, eventually. Never happened.

TheYanger

Best video in a while. No long skits, no guests, no friends. Just the nerd and the game

That's how I felt.

I don't get the complaints, yeah the 'DIARRHEA" rants are old hat, but James still knows how to get good comedic timing and edit his videos very well. They still make me laugh and are genuinely fun to watch even if I'm kind of over laughing at the ridiculous language.

I'm also legit shocked anyone thought his observations were recorded in real time, It doesn't make them any less genuine to be felt, recorded for later, and then expanded upon more eloquently. Ad-libbing this shit would be massively difficult for most anyone.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm wondering what James did before his videos. He must be rather wealthy or come from a wealthy background because his collection is enormous not to mention that amount of time and effort to keep that collection maintained and intact.

Another thing is how he can just smash and throw fake poop on his old games he reviews. He must have a few copies to do that.

Syril

LJN gets shit, but I found it interesting how Rare developed Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Beetlejuice, and A Nightmare on Elm Street. The Karate Kid was made by Atlus. T&C Surf Design and A Nightmare on Elm Street are okay games as well.

The NES Back to the Future games were made by Beam Software who did the SNES Shadowrun.

Mzo

This series isn't the same for me since i watched the "behind the scenes" episode and found out his commentary and reactions aren't actually recorded while he plays the game, he just reads from a script. I really wish i never knew that's the way he does it, sorry if i've just ruined it for other people too! :(

No shit.

Seriously?

TheWriter

I haven't laughed while watching Nerd videos in a long time (I think Bible Games 1 broke me back then, I couldn't breath for a couple of seconds after the squirrel incident) but I still am glad he keeps making them, as they make for nice breathers after a busy day or as offside commentary while doing other things.

It's more of a tradition right now to still watch them after such a long time, which isn't all too bad. I never feel like they wasted my time. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I'm glad neither AVGN nor Nostalgia Critic entirely retired their characters, as I enjoy the shticks very much still. I've maybe desensitized to their toilet humor, yet the entertainment value is not lost.

I even liked the Toxic episode, essentially because of the hokey acting.
So yeah, keep going, Nerd! But less Mike please, he always disturbs the flow of the review. His Joker was unbearable.

FoxSpirit

This series isn't the same for me since i watched the "behind the scenes" episode and found out his commentary and reactions aren't actually recorded while he plays the game, he just reads from a script. I really wish i never knew that's the way he does it, sorry if i've just ruined it for other people too! :(
Every good comedian has his script written out, every brilliant piece of satire. That really is a non-problem for me. The big problem is, I feel, when he is not really into it. Play this shit again, build up the rage, THEN do it.

Some of the later episodes felt a bit anemic in that regard.

Fox Mulder

I'm wondering what James did before his videos. He must be rather wealthy or come from a wealthy background because his collection is enormous not to mention that amount of time and effort to keep that collection maintained and intact.

Another thing is how he can just smash and throw fake poop on his old games he reviews. He must have a few copies to do that.

You didn't have to be wealthy to get tons of games before retro got big. A game that costs $100 now could be found in bargain bins. I also imagine he gets a number of free games from fans like many people on YouTube.

Darkmakaimura

You didn't have to be wealthy to get tons of games before retro got big. A game that costs $100 now could be found in bargain bins. I also imagine he gets a number of free games from fans like many people on YouTube.
His collection was enormous even before he became big on YouTube and even for a gamer. I'm just guessing due to that and the fact he has a house with a big basement of almost every game from the 70's to the 2000's in his library, he's either well off or comes from a well off background.

Cheerilee

His collection was enormous even before he became big on YouTube and even for a gamer. I'm just guessing due to that and the fact he has a house with a big basement of almost every game from the 70's to the 2000's in his library, he's either well off or comes from a well off background.

I think you underestimate how easy it was to collect all that "junk" at the points in time when they were worthless. If he bought at the right times, a kid with an allowance had enough money to do it, so long as his parents didn't mind that he filled his room.

He was working retail after he got out of college, and your first job (even retail) is a prime opportunity to go nuts on all the little things you couldn't afford with just an allowance.

Going to college and owning his own home just means that his parents were able to pay off their own home (or at least had the end in sight). They were able to add the burden of his college costs to their payment schedule (assuming he didn't pay his own way through college) because they thought that was a smart investment in the future, and then they co-signed as security on his mortgage, that way he pays mortgage payments instead of rent, because that's also a smart investment. He might look like he owns his own home, but for now, the bank might own more of it than he does.

I'd guess that his background was at least "stable", which is a lot more than a lot of people have, but not really what I'd call wealthy. Although it's possible that his parents really were wealthy.

Brashnir

I think you underestimate how easy it was to collect all that "junk" at the points in time when they were worthless. If he bought at the right times, a kid with an allowance had enough money to do it, so long as his parents didn't mind that he filled his room.

He was working retail after he got out of college, and your first job (even retail) is a prime opportunity to go nuts on all the little things you couldn't afford with just an allowance.

Yeah, and if he worked in a Funcoland or a rental shop during the mid-late 90s, he could have bought hundreds of games for a song. Hitting garage sales back then could have netted giant piles of games for a few bucks. I wish I had done it then, personally. I had the means but the retro bug hadn't hit me yet. I gave away all my old games to friends and family each time I got a new system.

TheYanger

I'm not going to claim his family wasn't well off as a kid but...where do you get the idea that the nerd had some huge collection? He didn't start out with a basement full of games, he started out with a room in an apartment and you NEVER saw his 'collection' until he moved. He got donated shitloads of games when his popularity initially exploded. Go watch early ones again, he's just sitting in a tiny extra room, the basement was after he and his wife bought a house (which was probably largely covered by nerd videos).

Darklord

Banned

It's not the bargain bin games that are the problem. It's the $900 rare consoles and the even more collectable games that can go into the hundreds and even thousands.

Soup Bar

Keep the LJN hate going with some WWF reviews. When Acclaim bought them, LJN published all the 16 bit WWF games and some on the NES if I'm not mistaken. However that shoudn't stop him reviewing WWF Wrestlemania. Developed by Rare...

AVGN is a different beast than what it was a few years ago, but IMO that isn't a bad thing. They're a bit slower and less dramatic, but the script is very well written. It doesn't have to split my sides to be a really entertaining video.

what bothers me about the recent ep is that he shows it's bad but not "worst LJN game on the nes" bad. maybe he's just too busy with other stuff to show every shitty detail and completely deconstruct the game like in earlier episodes.
still liked it though, just didn't get that terribly fucking bad beyond believe vibe from this one

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey, I had that issue of Nintendo Power! Not anymore though, sadly.

Also, holy shit was there actually Waterworld for Virtual Boy? Just the idea of that is a punchline in itself

I couldn't focus on him, that waterworld poster had me in tears... coming soon to virtual boy from ocean of america, waterworld!

Laughing so hard.

I'm not going to claim his family wasn't well off as a kid but...where do you get the idea that the nerd had some huge collection? He didn't start out with a basement full of games, he started out with a room in an apartment and you NEVER saw his 'collection' until he moved. He got donated shitloads of games when his popularity initially exploded. Go watch early ones again, he's just sitting in a tiny extra room, the basement was after he and his wife bought a house (which was probably largely covered by nerd videos).
Yeah, I grew up in a pretty well off home and owned most of the major consoles, so I'm sure he had a decent collection, but his collection has mostly been built on donations. He explains that a bit in the NES Collection video he did.

Darkmakaimura

Yeah, I grew up in a pretty well off home and owned most of the major consoles, so I'm sure he had a decent collection, but his collection has mostly been built on donations. He explains that a bit in the NES Collection video he did.
His collection is huge he must've received a lot, a lot of donations. The amount of old consoles, games, accessories, etc. is more than impressive imo. Hey, I'm envious. Not gonna lie. :|

maharg

idspispopd
I think he said it in a Q&A or something once, I'm not quite sure but I recall hearing something like this too.

I looked, I can't find anything.

Generally speaking if you're reading a script and doing multiple takes, you don't actually drink alcohol. His rants aren't off the cuff, they're planned and scripted. He's more likely to be drunk while writing them than filming them.

AcridMeat

Banned
I understand what you're saying maharg, I just distinctly remember in older episodes it being actual rolling rock. That was reinforced with noticing on a spit-take of rolling rock that was just water in a later episode. It could be because he wanted authenticity, or did enjoy a drink while filming, or a number of other reasons.

I feel so nerdy debating this about the nerd.

THE BEER IS REAL TO ME, MAN. :'C
Now a wrestling fan

There was definitely actual beer in the older episodes. He said so himself in one of the interviews. I think it was a fairly recent one.

He said he switched to water in the later episodes. Probably because it cost too much to just spit out beer when doing multiple takes, or something like that.

Brashnir

Having watched him since he had a for-some-reason-now-controversial different name, I think I probably count as one. I'd still like to see a link to this interview everyone says they know exists.

If you watch the videos, you can see that at the very least, the bottles went from having a yellow-brownish colored liquid in them to having a clear uncolored liquid in them. So either he switched from using tea or some food coloring in early vids to just using water later, or he (more likely) just used the actual beer in the beginning. There's only a sip or two per video in the early ones, and there probably weren't many takes since he was just getting started.

Colored:

Jekyll and Hyde: (2 min 19 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_4Yqk65f8#t=2m19s

BTTF: (6min 17 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y306cWw98a4#t=6m17s

Clear:

Atari 5200: (7min 50sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AknyR-kRvLc#t=7m50s

That's how I felt.

I don't get the complaints, yeah the 'DIARRHEA" rants are old hat, but James still knows how to get good comedic timing and edit his videos very well. They still make me laugh and are genuinely fun to watch even if I'm kind of over laughing at the ridiculous language.

I'm also legit shocked anyone thought his observations were recorded in real time, It doesn't make them any less genuine to be felt, recorded for later, and then expanded upon more eloquently. Ad-libbing this shit would be massively difficult for most anyone.

True. Ad libbing comedy is really hard, and probably impossible if you're involved in a video game.

If you want to see a real-time Lets Play, check out his Super C video.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Having watched him since he had a for-some-reason-now-controversial different name, I think I probably count as one. I'd still like to see a link to this interview everyone says they know exists.

In one of the DVD extras, he tours his room a bit, and shows you some of the extra bottles he has. He says he uses them for water, but implies it's mostly for when he's out of actual Rolling Rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCkuasVeFik#t=22m30s

Tripon

Been watching a lot of his Board James series of videos, and if anything, I like them more than his video game series. If only because I grew up only playing 'regular' board games, and never really knew the fantasy stuff existed. Makes me want to do regular D&D nights. ;)

Brashnir

Oh wow, Kaboom looks very intense, surprised to see Mike doing very well playing it.

It's a hard-ass game. I had it as a kid, but always sucked at it. Curious to find out what James' favorite Atari game is. Mine is Warlords, but I don't think they'd have that on the show, since it's only really good with four players.

Raitaro

Been watching a lot of his Board James series of videos, and if anything, I like them more than his video game series. If only because I grew up only playing 'regular' board games, and never really knew the fantasy stuff existed. Makes me want to do regular D&D nights. ;)

Yes, these ARE great! I also like them more than the recent AVGN videos. They also allow James to show off his skill as a director / film maker even more than the AVGN sketches. Mr. Bucket and Dream Phone are two standouts to me. Both are very well made short movies featuring creative camera work et cetera.

Fun fact: the Board James video on The Key to the Kingdom not only led to me seeking out and buying this game, but even to succesfully get in touch with its original designer Paul Bennett. What's interesting is that he actually mentioned that at some point he came very far in designing a prototype of a sequel to the game (including concept art work and all) but that he never managed to release it some 20 years ago. Ever since that email I felt that this is quite a waste and that I (or the AVGN community) should do something to help Paul finally release it. If I could somehow convince James Rolfe to get behind it, seeing as he is a very big fan of the first game, something like a kickstarter would be easily funded. If only there was a reliable way to contact James...

Edit: here is Paul Bennett's website and Key to the Kingdom page: http://classicmemories.co.uk/key-to-the-kingdom. Funny to see that nowadays he uses his drawing talent to draw cars for a living!

Top Bottom