• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

I actually had the R-Zone. I really don't remember why I wanted it in the first place but I did. Came with some Indy 500 racing game that took all of 10 minutes to finish. Plus it was as blurry as fuck when projected onto the eyepiece.

I kind of had a weird reaction to his "are these even videogames" rant. Didn't Game & Watch games basically work in the exact same way?

Kind of, but the Game & Watch games didn't try to achieve more than what the tech could handle. They were simpler and overall much more well made games. Most Tiger games were a complete mess.

But, yeah, he tried too hard for some parts of this episode.

Tripon

Kind of, but the Game & Watch games didn't try to achieve more than what the tech could handle. They were simpler and overall much more well made games. Most Tiger games were a complete mess.

But, yeah, he tried too hard for some parts of this episode.

The Tiger handhelds fail at a basic function of games, game play though.

I think you can make a good argument that Tiger's inability to make functional games turn it from 'games' into something else, like a cheap toy. An etch-e-sketch has more input than most Tiger handhelds.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I had this little bastard. I wonder if it's still in storage somewhere.
$T2eC16V,!ygE9s7HI712BRIpD+OzOw~~60_57.JPG

shaowebb

I had Mega Man 3...it was quite possibly my first "Mega Man".
I actually beat that game multiple times. It sucked every single time.

The first Power Rangers handheld was pretty nice, although I hated that you couldn't use the Megazord to fight Rita Repulsa.

Tiger-PowerRangers.jpg

Had Michael Jordan vs Larry Bird, a Sonic Tiger watch, and my brother had Megaman 2, Mortal Kombat, and a Batman Returns Tiger watch.

Toad.T

Banned
I had that Sonic 3D blast game shown in the vid. I loved it during my younger days, but I only keep it around as a nostalgia dispenser. If I got the game later on however, I'd chuck it.

I remember reading that the LCD game craze lasted long enough for them to make games based off of SOTN and Sonic Adventure. Tenacious little shits, aren't they?

As for the nerd himself? Started watching him back around his Rocky review. It's amazing that he hasn't put the kibosh on the whole series due to him making a movie, constantly doing the series for 7 years (or 9, depending on if you count the first episode's creation dates) and being more interested in movies/horror/TMNT. I'd honestly think he'd go "Fuck it" by now.

Good lord, imagine if GAF was around when those things were popular.

Viewtiful Joe is back! Capcom confirms!

Back on a Tiger game I mean.

The meltdowns would be all over the place.

MAtgS

Man Tiger, that takes me back. I must've had like 20 of those back in the day: Sonic1/2/3. Mega Man 3, SF2 which was the only 1 covered in the review (which goes to show how many of those there were)...

AcridMeat

Banned
New ep. Posting from Cinemasssacre link.

Tiger Electronic

Don't see a Youtube link yet.
What a great episode. So many shitty memories of friends who had this stuff. Though I had the poverty version of the poverty version, not even tiger games, but knock offs of them.

What a weird concept, a knock off of that sort of game.

Loved the ending few lines.

MechaX

Man, I still remember when I asked my mom to get Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and she came back with the Tiger Electronic version of Sonic 3.

Fuck that game and everything it stood for.

Edit: Holy shit, I actually owned the Game.com too.

You know what's missing from these AVGN videos? Someone, anyone, involved with the monstrosities he's shitting on us. For example, I really want to know who invented the R-Zone. I know, Tiger made it, but who on their team came up with the bright idea? Who was in charge of the design? I want to hear from that guy.

You know what's missing from these AVGN videos? Someone, anyone, involved with the monstrosities he's shitting on us. For example, I really want to know who invented the R-Zone. I know, Tiger made it, but who on their team came up with the bright idea? Who was in charge of the design? I want to hear from that guy.
Toxic Crusaders had the creator of the show on AVGN I believe. Idk if there are other instances of this.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man, I had the Sonic 3 one shown below.

& really enjoy these types of episodes where he goes over multiple games/focuses on a system(s). Completely forgot about the R-Zone.

Also, YES to the YKWBS segment. That type of packaging is so frustrating to deal with. Not to mention the type where the item has a ton of twisty tie or whatever keeping it attached to the packaging as well.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Oh my god.

I had a bunch of Tiger and similar types of handheld games when I was a kid. So did my sister.

I remember trying in vain to beat one of my sister's games. I got to the "final boss" and everything, but it was too hard for me back then. A small part of me wants to track it down on eBay and put it to rest, but fuck it, too many bad memories...

And that game was:

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
10 years from now someone will probably make a similar video on old Jakks Pacific games. According to wikipedia, Tiger invented the Furby, no wonder they no longer make games.

Bluth54

As for the nerd himself? Started watching him back around his Rocky review. It's amazing that he hasn't put the kibosh on the whole series due to him making a movie, constantly doing the series for 7 years (or 9, depending on if you count the first episode's creation dates) and being more interested in movies/horror/TMNT. I'd honestly think he'd go "Fuck it" by now.

I don't think James has a normal job, at this point it's just making money of the videos and merchandise sales. I doubt he can really stop doing AVGN because he would stop making money.

He has slowed down the production of AVGN videos a lot though. He used to do 2 a month.

JackDT

There are SO many more shitty handhelds than the Tiger games that you probably never even realized existed: http://imgur.com/a/k01DZ?gallery

Nintendo Game and Watch's did work the same way. They were almost always better designed though. They were also made almost a decade before Tiger starting shitting up the market.

Fundamentally there's no reason why you couldn't make a great game with that technology. Some kind of simple roguelike usign a grid of lines could have been amazing, or where you move room to room like Binding of Isaac so the 'maze' doesn't even have to exist as graphics. I sometimes wonder if every Tiger game really is garbage or if there was a hidden gem somewhere in there...

JEKKI

I had this Battle Arena Toshinden one back in the days

where the background was all holographic,

and it had a light on the top that u press so it shines on the background

thus increasing the 3D effect.

it was awesome!!!

4b704a847a764_55613n.jpg

also I was growing up so the artwork of the ladies really turned me on.

I also had a Power Rangers one with a bar code reader that came with a set of cards u can swipe thru it.

it was amazing.

Top Bottom