• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

ewww

I had... this

4.jpeg

Jackano

Cool episode. Different but a reminder of his previous hardware videos.

As for the Tiger games... It's true that on the contrary of Japan, US and some countries in Europe loved (sold?) many electronics games way after the Game & Watch ended in Japan.
I'm not sure why.

I mean, sure the price made those way more affordable than a Game Boy with a game and with the battery problem, but did the kids in 90s loved those?
I remember personally to try many of those things and after 30 minutes at best throw them away. True handheld console (the GameBoy and the Game Gear) had way more appeal and their games were way more appealing.
So is this latent success just because of so many cases like what NameGenerated posted earlier?

Oh god. When I was probably 6-ish, I asked for a Game Boy for Christmas. My parents got me this:

w8UYIr7.jpg

They meant well but I was so disappointed.

Got a Game Boy Pocket the next year though.

Everybody had these and nobody liked them, it was a really bizarre phenomenon. They looked attractive and cheap and "high tech" on shelves, I guess, so parents were duped into buying them.

Kagami

Everybody had these and nobody liked them, it was a really bizarre phenomenon. They looked attractive and cheap and "high tech" on shelves, I guess, so parents were duped into buying them.
This. My brothers and I hated them at the time and would never buy them ourselves, but our grandmother got us this sort of thing as presents because she knew we liked "video games."

I had quite a few of these as a kid. The Tiger ones were pretty much always shit, but I recall the Gradius one by Konami being fairly fun.

Nintendo's Game & Watch ones were always petty good too. I had a Mario one that actually managed to have platforming levels and underwater swimming levels that was fun and a really cool table top Donkey Kong (can't recall if it was DK1 or Jr.). The DK was kind of like a little arcade machine complete with a joystick. It did some tricks to display in colour too, it was really impressive.

Anustart

I had several as a kid, but one in particular stood out to kid me as being good. Can't remember the name of it though, I believe it involved Mice and cheese. Wish I could remember :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Can't remember if this was made by Tiger or Nintendo, but the Tetris LCD watch was awesome. It got me through a lot of boring stuff at school in the sixth and seventh grades, lol.

I had quite a few of these as a kid. The Tiger ones were pretty much always shit, but I recall the Gradius one by Konami being fairly fun.

Nintendo's Game & Watch ones were always petty good too. I had a Mario one that actually managed to have platforming levels and underwater swimming levels that was fun

Yeah, pretty much all of the LCD games made by other companies shit all over the Tiger ones. Nintendo Game & Watch games were the best ones. I had Mario's Cement Factory (dual screens!) and also remember playing an awesome little Donkey Kong 3 game that was basically a mini-console with two controllers attached to it.

and a really cool table top Donkey Kong (can't recall if it was DK1 or Jr.). The DK was kind of like a little arcade machine complete with a joystick. It did some tricks to display in colour too, it was really impressive.

I have this too. These predate the Tiger handhelds, IIRC, and were made by Coleco. There were several different games produced. I believe AVGN has one or two of these as well -I remember seeing them in his room during some of his videos- so it's odd that he didn't talk about them in this latest video.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I had these:

TigerHandHeld+002.jpg

Konami-TMNT.jpg

I actually loved both of them.

Yeah, those Tiger LCD games were pretty bad for the most part, but they were so common. Gifts from relatives were a common source, but as kids, we fell for the marketing too. I remember them being popular items on the playground, where we'd show ours to other kids, caught up in the "OMG a video game (based on a popular license) that we can bring to school!" hysteria.

Personally, I remember owning the Batman Returns LCD game shown in the video, and I think we also owned the Ninja Gaiden LCD game, though not the NES game oddly enough.

I also remember owning the Virtua Fighter LCD Game, though that was surprisingly good. Virtua Fighter featured 8 characters (It was quite an ingenious trick; four fighters on each side of the screen, with "details" like ponytails that turn on and off depending on which character you picked), replays, ring-outs, a Dural boss battle, and a few simplified moves. It was nowhere near as good as playing the arcade version or any of the home versions, but I can't fault them for actually trying with this one.

After that, I remember getting into the more "traditional" (non-video-game-based) LCD games like Yahtzee and Battleship, along with ones based off of game shows like Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and Wheel of Fortune. EDIT: Oh, and a Virtual Pet and Digimon. I think my last LCD game purchases were: a US Digimon Digivice (My first purchase on eBay, since it wasn't sold locally), one of those 50-in-1 games (due to having a pretty good version of Combat), and a Japanese Digimon Tamers Gold D-Arc.

Yeah, pretty much all of the LCD games made by other companies shit all over the Tiger ones. Nintendo Game & Watch games were the best ones. I had Mario's Cement Factory (dual screens!) and also remember playing an awesome little Donkey Kong 3 game that was basically a mini-console with two controllers attached to it.

I remember seeing the ones with controllers on display in stores and always thought they were so awesome (and expensive) looking. I never played those versions, but I do find it funny now how complex they made it look for what was surely a very simple game.

I have this too. These predate the Tiger handhelds, IIRC, and were made by Coleco. There were several different games produced. I believe AVGN has one or two of these as well -I remember seeing them in his room during some of his videos- so it's odd that he didn't talk about them in this latest video.

Probably because they're actually pretty good given the limited technology, unlike the Tiger games and they wouldn't really fit in a Nerd video. I'd love to see him cover some of the better ones in one of his serious retrospective videos. I'd imagine most of them are next to impossible to film though, which also may be why he didn't show too many. The tabletop arcade machine ones especially since they used a mirror and had to have light come though the top of it.

This is the one I had:

dkjr_tabletop_01_zpsaa1672ab.jpg

dkjr_tabletop_02_zpseb32115e.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
Probably because they're actually pretty good given the limited technology, unlike the Tiger games and they wouldn't really fit in a Nerd video. I'd love to see him cover some of the better ones in one of his serious retrospective videos. I'd imagine most of them are next to impossible to film though, which also may be why he didn't show too many. The tabletop arcade machine ones especially since they used a mirror and had to have light come though the top of it.

This is the one I had:

dkjr_tabletop_01_zpsaa1672ab.jpg

dkjr_tabletop_02_zpseb32115e.jpg
My brother in law had this at their parent's place. I actually really loved playing it.
because it was a video game that was away from home.
Q69K0A6.jpg

I remember bugging my folks to get me a Gameboy, but for about two years they rebuffed me and bought me about 10 of these LCD game units instead.

Idiots. With the money they spent buying these things, they could have gotten me a GB at launch and a couple of games instead...

Loved these things to death otherwise. I remember owning and enjoying a TMNT and Castlevania version, and my folks were ready to go to war on some kid who stole and broke a TMNT game watch I fooled around with constantly. I also remember being insanely fascinated by Game and Watches for some reason. I have no idea why. My brothers also owned several of the Mattel Electronics sports games, where the "players" were just red dots on a glass screen. Trying to play these were like trying to master sorcery.

TheContact

Wow, clicking into this video I didn't really know what Tiger Electronics was. It sounded familiar to me like I've heard it before but didn't actually know what they did. When I watched the video, a wave of nostalgia came over me. Holy shit, I played the hell out of these games, they were so bad but I still had fun playing them.

Balb

When he showed the video of the kid screaming in the R Zone commercial as if he was being tortured that was the loudest I'd laughed at an AVGN segment in a while.

izakq

My brother in law had this at their parent's place. I actually really loved playing it.
because it was a video game that was away from home.
Q69K0A6.jpg

I had this one as well and it was f'n great. The light cycles was my favorite part. Though, I get bad memories in trying to find 4 C batteries to operate it.

javac

Also, this bastard:
brick._brick-game-kids-video-games-toys.JPG

Son of a... :0

While watching the episode I was trying to remember this. Now that I've seen it again...it's all coming back. This was visible in every school in every country. Shit's crazy. Transcends both time and space.

javac

I had this other thing. It was like a virtual boy but it was white and has this mirror on it. Similar to the one in the vid but more Virtual boy shaped without the stand. You held it up. I can't remember it.

Wow I had semi-forgotten all about these things! A cousin of mine had a Genesis and I would play the ever-loving crap out of Sonic 2 every chance I could. I remember my aunt got me this monstrosity for Christmas one year:

fvCuSJx.png

...and I played it. Probably loved it too. It was the closest I could get to the real thing ;_;

Endo Punk

Tiger games huh. Some of these games were stupidly addictive. I remember wasting many a late nights playing this racing game where where you can only move left, middle and right to avoid oncoming cars. Truly the Angry Birds of its time, lol.

Vecks

I remember those commercials with that R-Zone thing. I also remember thinking that it looked pretty cool from those commercials. Had no real idea how the games would actually look, but man, strapping a video game to your eye is so 90's.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I remember back in the day my family would go to this Mexican restaurant and they had five or six baskets full of tiger handhelds that you could go and pick a game while you waited for your order. It was the most amazing thing ever.

FoxSpirit

no no no no no.....
the pain this post brings me. I will never forgive Mrs.Woods for confiscating this thing of beauty off me when i was in school.If only i hadn't thrown that snowball at her face.
I never saw it again.All those years learning to forget have now been a waste.
:-(
Didn't you tell your parents? I mean, not giving it back means she basically stole it.

Also fun episode, he was way more into it then the past few ones. Also, welcome back Rollin Rock.

I had the Tiger Electronics VRT-X version of Sega's Daytona USA:

It had a 3D hologram of a Nascar track in the background and the 2D LCD figures of cars displayed on the front. The retractable lamp would light up the hologram making a 3D effect. The whole thing was a load of shit and I regretted buying it the moment I booted it up.

hoserx

I remember bugging my folks to get me a Gameboy, but for about two years they rebuffed me and bought me about 10 of these LCD game units instead.

Idiots. With the money they spent buying these things, they could have gotten me a GB at launch and a couple of games instead...

Loved these things to death otherwise. I remember owning and enjoying a TMNT and Castlevania version, and my folks were ready to go to war on some kid who stole and broke a TMNT game watch I fooled around with constantly. I also remember being insanely fascinated by Game and Watches for some reason. I have no idea why. My brothers also owned several of the Mattel Electronics sports games, where the "players" were just red dots on a glass screen. Trying to play these were like trying to master sorcery.

Calling your parents "idiots" for getting you gifts..... classy all around.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh my god. I always could have sworn my friend growing up got a Virtual Boy as his very first console. I was positive we played Mortal Kombat on it and it was the worst thing ever. But everyone told me there was no MK on Virtual Boy. And now, thanks to this episode, it all came rushing back.
and my grandma had this thing
mJkWdAx3JDnNBpaH5bsO1iA.jpg

AniHawk

never had a tiger electronic thing, but i had the konami tmnt game. i fucking loved that thing. i remember the day i beat it. i was so excited i went running to tell my parents and i fell down the stairs. i think i was 7.

Oh my god. I always could have sworn my friend growing up got a Virtual Boy as his very first console. I was positive we played Mortal Kombat on it and it was the worst thing ever. But everyone told me there was no MK on Virtual Boy. And now, thanks to this episode, it all came rushing back.

You could get Daytona USA for this headset thing too, on a seperate cartridge:

Dem graphics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9T_WCmHyUM

bjork

I had a pac-man watch, it was pretty cool at the time. Perhaps that was the right kind of game for that sort of device, though.

I remember when I worked at a Wal-Mart, the R-Zone wasn't even in the electronics dept and it wasn't locked up. No one was going to steal that mess.

s_mirage

This brings back memories. Before I owned a console as a kid, I remember lusting over the LCD games in shopping catalogues of the day. LCD games and board games like Hero Quest. I didn't get many though, which in hindsight was probably a good thing.

and my grandma had this thing
mJkWdAx3JDnNBpaH5bsO1iA.jpg

Lights out was legit, a good game.

I still have mine but a few lights broke making the game impossible to play.

Top Bottom