• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Was worried when I saw it was a 2003 game but I guess shittiness never has an expiration date. (Or whatever, you know what I mean. :p)

I was cracking up at "YOU'RE WINNER" and the VHS-quality commercial.
KuGsj.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit, the sheer speed and sound of going into reverse is hilarious. I forgot about that part of it.

border

You're right that bad PC games are worse than the worst console games since there can be no QA, but you're also wrong -- I don't think there has ever been a retail game as unfinished as Big Rigs. Even the very worst PC games generally function in some sense... games like Skydive, Extreme Paintbrawl, etc. technically at least sort of work. Big Rigs doesn't. It was released in probably pre-alpha state. There's nothing else, at least nothing else sold for money, quite like it.

I will default to your expertise if you insist, but you really think there's nothing worse? At least it works in the sense that it boots up and runs. I feel like there's plenty of games that never even get to that state where people can even play it because of game-crashing bugs. I kinda disagree with The Nerd who thinks that frustration and functionality shouldn't be a factor. You can play and see all of Big Rigs' content. I don't see how that's worse than an awful NES game where you can't even make it past the second level because of control or design issues.

How does Big Rigs compare to something like Day One: Garry's Incident or War Z or Arthur's Quest? It seems like those games were pretty fundamentally broken from the outset.

I can't even believe that there was an actual TEAM of people that worked on Big Rigs. I know the development landscape has changed dramatically since then, but even still it seems like they literally got drunk one weekend and somehow ended up making and publishing the game all in the span of 3 days. I don't want to think that the team actually put months of effort into the game, I refuse to believe they could have failed that badly if it was a genuine effort.

magnetic

Need more of these and less Monday with Mike.

Why not both? I really enjoy the casual style of these little sessions. They´re a funny duo, that´s something I miss in the classic AVGN videos. I also like when they get genuinely annoyed, instead of the scripted rage in the AVGN ones. They are also hilariously inept sometimes, like when they even couldn´t figure out the run button in Dennis The Menace (even after Mike correctly figured out the jack in the box + wall switch part, but couldn´t run away from Mr Wilson).

But I really like Mike, seems a lot of people don´t.

This being said, the better production in the AVGN episodes definitely add to the quality. The Sega CD commercial parody is one of his finest moments.

heyf00L

OK, so if Big Rigs isn't the worst game ever released (as a finished product), what is? I can't think of anything that comes close.

$200

Banned
OK, so if Big Rigs isn't the worst game ever released (as a finished product), what is? I can't think of anything that comes close.

Like the nerd pointed out the game itself is not frustrating to play but just broken. I'd probably have a lot more fun playing it then, say Little Red Hood for example.

Ty4on

I can't even believe that there was an actual TEAM of people that worked on Big Rigs. I know the development landscape has changed dramatically since then, but even still it seems like they literally got drunk one weekend and somehow ended up making and publishing the game all in the span of 3 days. I don't want to think that the team actually put months of effort into the game, I refuse to believe they could have failed that badly if it was a genuine effort.
I thought the easter European names made it clear, but maybe that's because I read the wiki entry some years ago:
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing was developed in Ukraine[6] by California-based company Stellar Stone.[7] The game was developed offshore so the company could produce the game at a cheap price of at least $US 15,000, compared to costs three to five times higher in price with other European or United States-based developers.[8]
[...]
Big Rigs was built on the Eternity proprietary engine, developed by Sergey Titov of TS Group Entertainment, who licensed it to Stellar Stone in exchange for a "large chunk of the company."[6] According to an interview with Titov on yourewinner.com, a Big Rigs fansite, the company "want[ed] to do things cheap and [was] not willing to pay even 200-300K" to create an engine of their own. Titov is credited in the game as producer and co-programmer, but in the interview, he claims he "didn't have much design and development input or any power to stop [Big Rigs] from being released."[6]
Not gonna lie

Big rigs looks fun as fuck. That backwards acceleration god damnnnnnn
I actually had it installed on my computer, but the novelty wore off quickly. Think of the backwards acceleration like falling forever in Portal, fun the first two times.
Being a racing fan with only a computer for games growing up I've played a lot of bad PC racing games so that might have had an effect. If you want to try it it shouldn't be hard to find the game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I liked this episode very much, but sadly I had seen several videos about Big Rigs, so it didn't have the same impact it would have had if I knew nothing about it. I couldn't help thinking "I've seen this all before" at times, but even then James managed to make me laugh with his comedy style.

The ending was incredible. I'd say it was James at his very best.

Into

The show has really picked up again, after those dark years with him beating up Bugs Bunny for what felt like a whole hour.

He has cut down on the BS and gone back to basics, really enjoyed the last couple of episodes. They dont feel as forced.

Doubt you will see more PC game reviews, its just that Big Rigs has a certain reputation that is hard to deny

Raitaro

This Big Rigs episode had me close to tears from laughing. It's by far best of his more recent ones I feel. The commercial he made for it is indeed fantastic!

I have never heard about this game before somehow, so that might have contributed to the fun. (Don't know how I've managed to miss it all these years, but that is beside the point.)

Is it just me, or does it remain magical for others here as well when a new AVGN episode gets released? They usually make my day at least.

thefro

AVGN Movie Update.

Going over the process of VFX shots, a very fascinating watch.

Definitely explains why it's taking so long. Sounds like James is doing a couple full-time jobs right now just working on the movie. Can't believe he did rough VFX/previs stuff for all the shots himself to show the people working on the shots what to do. Then he's basically helping supervise all the VFX work (50 people!) while he's doing color-correction & editing and shots of his own.

Keep in mind the guy who's the VFX Supervisor (who worked for ILM) said they had more VFX shots than Iron Man 1.

The VFX shots he shows in this video look great (a lot better than the trailer).

Kinda worried that he hasn't started on sound design yet... that's probably the last huge roadblock.

I assume Bear McCreary's already done some preliminary work on the music. It seems like the rough cut's probably fairly locked down at this point and James has been tweaking it as he goes, so I don't think there will be a ton of editing left. I would think the final sound mix would probably be the last thing to come together.

border

It is arguably the least-finished game ever released, but I'd hardly call it the worst.

I don't play a lot of bad games, but I thought the recently released Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game was easily worse. I only played it because a friend stupidly rented it from RedBox. Stages are tiny, and absolutely terrible. Bosses have long phases of invincibility followed by tiny 5-10 second windows where they can actually be damaged. I'd get more joy driving a truck straight up the side of a mountain in reverse at 2000 miles per hour than I would from any section of that game.

I honestly thought that James was going to take the review in a completely different direction where he doesn't get mad at it at all. If you watch the first 5 minutes he is genuinely happy playing such a disaster of a game. Which is a I think the right tone to take for the review -- eventually he devolves into the usual "What a fucking fuckload of shit" schtick that I've come to find really tiresome.

oatmeal

Banned
Definitely explains why it's taking so long. Sounds like James is doing a couple full-time jobs right now just working on the movie. Can't believe he did rough VFX/previs stuff for all the shots himself to show the people working on the shots what to do. Then he's basically helping supervise all the VFX work (50 people!) while he's doing color-correction & editing and shots of his own.

Keep in mind the guy who's the VFX Supervisor (who worked for ILM) said they had more VFX shots than Iron Man 1.

The VFX shots he shows in this video look great (a lot better than the trailer).

Kinda worried that he hasn't started on sound design yet... that's probably the last huge roadblock.

I assume Bear McCreary's already done some preliminary work on the music. It seems like the rough cut's probably fairly locked down at this point and James has been tweaking it as he goes, so I don't think there will be a ton of editing left. I would think the final sound mix would probably be the last thing to come together.

The cut has to be locked before VFX. If you haven't locked it then you could be wasting a lot of time doing VFX on something that you may not use. So you lock your picture, then you can go into FX/Color/Sound.

Dereck

disappointing as many as the recent episodes..it seems to have lost the passion...in front of me there's no avgn,just someone trying to act like him.
Interesting comment, you know he started AVGN almost ten years ago? James is eatin', I'm surprised he's even still doing AVGN videos in 2014, that's dedication to his fans. Angry reviewing is about dead now. James actually reviews games, he only gets angry when there is a real reason too. This is one the most AVGN AVGN episodes he's put out, no dumb skits, no long skits, no artificial anger, just game reviewing in his basement. What more do you want exactly?

Draconian

I honestly thought that James was going to take the review in a completely different direction where he doesn't get mad at it at all. If you watch the first 5 minutes he is genuinely happy playing such a disaster of a game. Which is a I think the right tone to take for the review -- eventually he devolves into the usual "What a fucking fuckload of shit" schtick that I've come to find really tiresome.

Haha, I'm not really sure why anybody watching his videos would expect him to act differently. It's pretty clear that's one of the reasons why he's so popular.

People once again complaining about new episodes got me thinking about what was my favorite "season" of the show, so I went to the Wikipedia page to see how each season is broken down, and I discovered a little fact that I never knew. In the Ghostbusters episode, the vacuum salesman is actually Kyle, the guitarist.

I will default to your expertise if you insist, but you really think there's nothing worse? At least it works in the sense that it boots up and runs. I feel like there's plenty of games that never even get to that state where people can even play it because of game-crashing bugs. I kinda disagree with The Nerd who thinks that frustration and functionality shouldn't be a factor. You can play and see all of Big Rigs' content. I don't see how that's worse than an awful NES game where you can't even make it past the second level because of control or design issues.

How does Big Rigs compare to something like Day One: Garry's Incident or War Z or Arthur's Quest? It seems like those games were pretty fundamentally broken from the outset.

Well, I guess your question is "what does 'worst' mean?" And while a game which is brokenly hard, or semi-functional, definitely should be in conseration for "worst", I do think that it's fair to say that Big Rigs is the worst, since it is the least complete game ever published (at least a a retail product). Sure, it's probably not the most frustrating game to play due to how it's impossible to lose, and probably isn't he least fun game to play, a but it is the least functional. Those games you mention there are broken, but not as badly as Big Rigs is. You can't go outside of the game world, you can't walk through everything, you can lose, there's no infinite-speed-in-reverse awesomeness, etc. They're just bad knockoffs. Big Rigs... is something different from that.

TheYanger

I think it's interesting how mike has clearly never played TJ&E, and James failed to explain the most important present: the Randomizer.
I mean, until they finally hit it. but when Mike didn't get what the point of the question marks was.

border

Haha, I'm not really sure why anybody watching his videos would expect him to act differently. It's pretty clear that's one of the reasons why he's so popular.

His anger is almost always about frustration due to horrible controls, poor design, poor puzzles. Things that make a game stupid-hard or impossible. I'm not sure what there is to get mad about with Big Rigs, unless you actually paid money for it and expected a cool truck racing game.

His anger is almost always about frustration due to horrible controls, poor design, poor puzzles. Things that make a game stupid-hard or impossible. I'm not sure what there is to get mad about with Big Rigs, unless you actually paid money for it and expected a cool truck racing game.

It's maybe a third of a game. The least complete game ever released on disc. You don't see how this is a big problem (and point for hilarity)?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lol, fucking incredible necrobump and title change. He did the game justice.

I cannot believe the devs' post launch "support" for this game... they went out of their way to correct "You're Winner," the most iconic, memorable aspect of their game, while fixing absolutely nothing that pertained to the physics, graphics, music... oh my god. you could not make this shit up.

maharg

idspispopd
Lol, fucking incredible necrobump and title change. He did the game justice.

I cannot believe the devs' post launch "support" for this game... they went out of their way to correct "You're Winner," the most iconic, memorable aspect of their game, while fixing absolutely nothing that pertained to the physics, graphics, music... oh my god. you could not make this shit up.

Necrobump? This thread has been active pretty much for its entire existence.

Top Bottom