• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

maharg

idspispopd
Sad thing is I always kinda wanted an Actionmax when I was a kid. I'd see them on clearance at KB, but they were still $20 or so which was too rich.

Oh well. I had Captain Power tapes which did the same thing without a suction cup sensor slapped to the TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FAuDYqaW58 Better action too.

I was assuming the suction cup thing was so the 'game' could signal the score counting box that there actually was something to shoot at (so shooting at a light bulb flickering at 60Hz wouldn't trigger it all the time) and maybe even indicate that the thing on screen wasn't supposed to actually be shot at (one of the games had bystanders). I never had a Captain Power gun, did it do anything like that?

Wereroku

I was assuming the suction cup thing was so the 'game' could signal the score counting box that there actually was something to shoot at (so shooting at a light bulb flickering at 60Hz wouldn't trigger it all the time) and maybe even indicate that the thing on screen wasn't supposed to actually be shot at (one of the games had bystanders). I never had a Captain Power gun, did it do anything like that?

Captain Power had this awesome ship gun that you put an action figure into and when you took enough damage they would eject out of the cockpit ending the game. I think I still have mine somewhere it was actually a really fun game even though it was weird.

kick51

Banned

not the bootsy i was hoping for :(

4hEov3W.jpg

Zing

Banned
Captain Power had this awesome ship gun that you put an action figure into and when you took enough damage they would eject out of the cockpit ending the game. I think I still have mine somewhere it was actually a really fun game even though it was weird.
Captain power was helluva fun. I had that plus two tapes. No idea where that stuff went.

Zing

Banned
James & Mike Mondays - Action Max (VHS light gun games)

Tell me if you think they got paid by Microsoft for this video's "promotion"... it just seems kinda weird that they would have that on the big screen behind them, and then specifically point it out... James even looks a bit weird about it afterwards.

If you remember the deal with the YouTube content creators, they simply had to mention the Xbox One without saying anything negative about it... or maybe, based on the ending, they were sorta making fun of that whole campaign (since they likely filmed this segment months ago).
It is really weird. How could he not know it was an Xbox One. I don't own one and haven't looked into one at all and I immediately knew what it was. Either this is a joke or they really are in that deal.

TheYanger

It is really weird. How could he not know it was an Xbox One. I don't own one and haven't looked into one at all and I immediately knew what it was. Either this is a joke or they really are in that deal.

Because he just had a kid and has been making a movie? I doubt James gets much time to care about new games. Or he was just saying it ironically.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
James' reaction to the stormtroopers dancing to YMCA was great. Not to mention his face the entire time he was dancing.

Balb

I hope we can get some clarification on it. It still feels really weird to me.

Because he just had a kid and has been making a movie? I doubt James gets much time to care about new games. Or he was just saying it ironically.
I think he's said before that he doesn't really play many new games. I might be wrong on that.

I don't know what an Xbox One looks like offhand.

TheYanger

Let's be real here, aside from the ludicrously stupid license tie in and terrible songs, the dance mechanics of Star Wars Kinect are fine, and dancing games are what it absolutely does best. I have no doubt he had fun, just as he would if someone threw in dance central or something.

Tripon

So I'm reading Mako's blog (fan translator of Mother 3 and Funimation localization) and he translated the comments of what Japanese viewers thought of AVGN's ep on Roger Rabbit. Here are some of the comments:

Licensed games never bode well

Thx for the translation

Trusty ol’ LJN

I love the movie

If you add an A to LJN it almost seems to fit with AVGN

It’s LJN the shit-makin’ machine

The movie was good, but this…

Uh oh it’s the rainbow of death

He and rabbits never seem to get along

I love the AVGN

Acclaim owned LJN back in the day, and they had lots of weird games too

Oh this isn’t the same as our Kemco-made game

THAT’S the character you play as?!

These earlier episodes are so much more low-key

Mako has a whole section translating Japanese comments for AVGN eps. You can view them here.

klaus

So I'm reading Mako's blog (fan translator of Mother 3 and Funimation localization) and he translated the comments of what Japanese viewers thought of AVGN's ep on Roger Rabbit. Here are some of the comments:

Mako has a whole section translating Japanese comments for AVGN eps. You can view them here.

Honestly didn't know that James has a Japanese following, interesting read there. It's quite funny that I first hear about the HVGN through a translated comment from a Japanese guy who in turn didn't know the original :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nor the Championship Mode when James was talking about how it reminded him of Nintendo World Championship.

Jackano

Late reply but it was a joke obviously (at least to me). It recalls to his AVGN Godzilla video.
Also a joke because of the straight answer Mike gave to him ("Should we play?" - "No". )

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Man, it was painful watching them struggle with the Dr Mario stuff (not to mention most of the other games).

Chinbo37

James & Mike Mondays - Action Max (VHS light gun games)

Tell me if you think they got paid by Microsoft for this video's "promotion"... it just seems kinda weird that they would have that on the big screen behind them, and then specifically point it out... James even looks a bit weird about it afterwards.

If you remember the deal with the YouTube content creators, they simply had to mention the Xbox One without saying anything negative about it... or maybe, based on the ending, they were sorta making fun of that whole campaign (since they likely filmed this segment months ago).

Oh ya, they did for sure. Of course I have no proof but as an armchair marketer i have come to realize if you think it is product placement, it is.

Jackano

The only thing I found is not very good about Mike and James works, is that generally they are quiet not aware of the current gen news, which is a shame when they do a weekly video, and not aware of the old japanese stuff either (see AVGN Transformers video).

I'm surprised Mike didn't played Nintendo Land previously. After the first reviews, it was stated that the game hide a true challenge, I remember the OT thread and Miiverse crazyness about the DK Crash Course. And in the video you see that Mike enjoy it. I think it's his type of game, 8/16 bits (or at least legacy Nintendo IPs) related, challenging, with pure Nintendo gameplay (for the most part maybe, this is not a thread for debating about NintendoLand!). I expected Mike to know the game :/

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
5 minutes of mike just ranting about the xbox one lol. One of which (the no remote thing) been affecting consoles since the ps2, so I dunno why he's ranting about that.

The only thing I found is not very good about Mike and James works, is that generally they are quiet not aware of the current gen news, which is a shame when they do a weekly video, and not aware of the old japanese stuff either (see AVGN Transformers video).

I kind of like it, it brings a perspective of someone who is not necessarily up with the times so it feels like they have a somewhat unbiased perspective the first time they play it.

Ishida

Banned
As a Retro Gamer myself, I literally facepalm every time a fellow Retro Gamer starts complaining about the new things all the time, like they didn't have any redeeming features.

Mike's complaining about the XBox One and both of them complaining about the PS3 makes them sound like a couple of bitter old men. Are frequent updates annoying? Sure, but their hyperbole is kind of annoying.

"Every time I turned the PS3, there was an update. Every single time". For how long did you not play your PS3 in order to have a new update when you turned it on?

"All the XBox One has is Titanfall and.... And that's it". Seriously? How uninformed can Mike be?

I love these guys, but they went overboard with the bitching on this one.

I think they went overboard with the bitching on this one.

4 player Nintenodland is the most fun I've had this gen. Glad to see them enjoying it with just 2 players, but Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion with people screaming at each other when they see the Gamepad player is something very unique.

Makes me sad that so few people seem to know about it (and that getting 4 Wii remotes / Wii Remote Plus and nunchucks is pretty expensive with an already expensive console).

That video of James' room from when he was young and the videos he made is so cool. My brother and I had a camcorder and made similar videos with toys, wrestling figures or just filmed random sketches.

Odrion

Banned
Honestly didn't know that James has a Japanese following, interesting read there. It's quite funny that I first hear about the HVGN through a translated comment from a Japanese guy who in turn didn't know the original :)
Actually both James Rolfe and The Nostalgia Critic both had a background cameo in some anime. Don't know where to find it, but there's a gif of it somewhere.

Top Bottom