• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

After seeing James and Mike play Toe Jam and Earl, I finally fully understand how it is supposed to be played.
Well, you're best off opening unknown presents early on in the game than you are late in the game like they did, since you'll lose a lot less progress to a bum present that way.

border

It's maybe a third of a game. The least complete game ever released on disc. You don't see how this is a big problem (and point for hilarity)?

I don't see it as something to completely flip out and rage over. It's terrible, but in a way that doesn't frustrate or challenge you at all.

TheYanger

I don't see it as something to completely flip out and rage over. It's terrible, but in a way that doesn't frustrate or challenge you at all.

He didn't really flip out and rage. It was all appropriate criticism and reaction, including the initial 'wtf this is so interesting'

dose

It's really kind of "cheating" for James to be reviewing PC garbage from Eastern Europe. So much of that stuff just gets dumped on the market with no regard for quality at all. He says it's the worst game he's ever played, but that's only because it's his only experience with bottom-end PC shovelware.

I hope this is just kind of a one-off review due to all the requests, and that he doesn't touch PC garbage any more. Part of what's amusing about (almost) all the bad games on AVGN is that they did go through some kind of QA, and that they at least aspired to something. Big Rigs obviously just had zero aspirations other than a minimal level of functionality. It's so bad but so easy and empty I don't see how you can really get mad about it.
I really don't see the problem. This game is pretty famous on the net and deserved an episode of its own. It really is one of the worst games to be released.

vocab

Well, you're best off opening unknown presents early on in the game than you are late in the game like they did, since you'll lose a lot less progress to a bum present that way.
Correct. The instant kill present is better off found early than later. Knowing your weapon and fudge sundae presents makes things easier. I wouldn't even bother with doors and I'd probably ditch every bad present so you have room. If you can get carrot man to find randomizer or insta death early you are pretty much set.

Also save your high tops for the desert or when there's three boogie men on screen.

Its easily the best game on the Genesis.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
James & Mike Play Joejam & Earl

This one's a whopping 43 minutes long.
I remember when the game came out and it just never looked appealing to me. I started watching this episode and realized why. This game looks awfully boring. It's actually the first AVGN or James & Mike I couldn't watch all the way through. They should've spent only about 15 or 20 minutes at most on this episode. I loved most Genesis games and I know this game in particular was well loved, but it's just not for me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
hahaha at that big rigs video, has anyone actually tested just how fast you can go in that game? like is there a limit and if the sound eventually becomes just for show?

Mudron

Did any of you guys catch tonight's episode of Cosmos where Degrasse-Tyson broke the lightspeed barrier with a copy of Big Rigs?

Cubed

I was at the trailer premier in November 2012 in Pennsylvania. What a sweet moment. Comments were 99% positive across the board from everyone that night.

It genuinely looks like a great indie film. Quite the undertaking.

jett

D-Member
Seeing how much work went into it, I feel kinda bad for thinking the movie looks absolutely dreadful. It'll be an interesting experience for sure, at least. :p

James & Mike Mondays - Action Max (VHS light gun games)

Tell me if you think they got paid by Microsoft for this video's "promotion"... it just seems kinda weird that they would have that on the big screen behind them, and then specifically point it out... James even looks a bit weird about it afterwards.

If you remember the deal with the YouTube content creators, they simply had to mention the Xbox One without saying anything negative about it... or maybe, based on the ending, they were sorta making fun of that whole campaign (since they likely filmed this segment months ago).

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Hmm, I had an ActionMax. Didn't have Blue Thunder or .38 Ambush Alley. Had the other ones though. I don't care what anyone says, that shit was fun when I was like 8. Yet at the same time my 8 year old self understood that it was really stupid. But still fun.

kick51

Banned

Tell me if you think they got paid by Microsoft for this video's "promotion"... it just seems kinda weird that they would have that on the big screen behind them, and then specifically point it out... James even looks a bit weird about it afterwards.

If you remember the deal with the YouTube content creators, they simply had to mention the Xbox One without saying anything negative about it... or maybe, based on the ending, they were sorta making fun of that whole campaign (since they likely filmed this segment months ago).

"sure you don't wanna play Xbox One"

"no"

how is there any question they were making fun of it

Toxi

Banned
The funniest part of that Big Rigs video was how he kept losing his shit and couldn't keep a straight face. Big Rigs just does that to people.

vocab

That Microsoft deal is for machinima partnered only.

Darklord

Banned

It's not shot in James' basement. They probably put that there as a set piece rather than the wall full of posters and games.

Apparently 12.3 Undecillion is the cap.
I wonder if he tested it again to see if he got the same result. Could it be that the truck randomly achieved all the checkpoints at that time (because at that speed, it was almost everywhere all at once), and potentially could have gone faster if the checkpoints were laid out in a different way?

Like monkeys typing Shakespeare, the truck was eventually going to complete the checkpoints...

Ugh, that made me cringe so hard. I really hope it was just them making fun of it but it really didn't seem like it. As you said, there's an obvious awkwardness that looks genuine.

James & Mike definitely went for comedic effect with the Xbox1 inclusion.

I'm also amused by the fact that vhs game advertises shooting down jet fighters with a pistol.

TheYanger

Eh, they just needed something on the tv behind them since they're at Mike's house, and the two times it comes up seemed like unintentional comedy to me with the 'what's that?' 'oh' and 'sure you don't wanna play xbox?' 'no'

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I mean, they even repeatedly pointed out that cheating isn't possible with this thing - I have to wonder how much Worlds of Wonder (and JVC) paid them..

Sad thing is I always kinda wanted an Actionmax when I was a kid. I'd see them on clearance at KB, but they were still $20 or so which was too rich.

Oh well. I had Captain Power tapes which did the same thing without a suction cup sensor slapped to the TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FAuDYqaW58 Better action too.

Top Bottom