• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
As a Retro Gamer myself, I literally facepalm every time a fellow Retro Gamer starts complaining about the new things all the time, like they didn't have any redeeming features.

Mike's complaining about the XBox One and both of them complaining about the PS3 makes them sound like a couple of bitter old men. Are frequent updates annoying? Sure, but their hyperbole is kind of annoying.

"Every time I turned the PS3, there was an update. Every single time". For how long did you not play your PS3 in order to have a new update when you turned it on?

"All the XBox One has is Titanfall and.... And that's it". Seriously? How uninformed can Mike be?

I love these guys, but they went overboard with the bitching on this one.

I think they went overboard with the bitching on this one.
I grew up with an Odyssey 2, Commodore 64, Atari 2600, NES and other systems. Odyssey 2 was probably my first real gaming system.

I think games have become better, not worse. Sure, I sometimes have those rose-tinted glasses but games really are a lot more enjoyable in the sense you get more out of them then you ever did. People paid $50 or $60 just to shoot a few things that are nearly unidentifiable and brag about a score.

However, there is one thing that does bother me and it is updates. I wish games would be more polished when they came out avoiding having to patch them but I guess one can argue the more complicated they become, the more they require patches. PS2 games had a lot of complex, detailed games that didn't require patching and it still seems Japanese games for some reason are most of the times released without ever needing to update them. So, I don't know if it's because publishers want to rush games out and them taking for granted the frequent use of online capabilities or that games just are so extravagant that there's no way play testers are going to come across them and thus, we the consumers, becoming the play testers.

I mean, there's some things are just inexcusable, like games that seriously buggy on release like PS3 Skyrim as just one example. These are AAA games but AAA publishers/developers that have little to no excuse for releasing products in that condition and requiring patches.

Other than patching and any single player game that would require an online connection (read: DRM) I love this era. I could only imagine how great it would be if I were a kid growing up with the games today.

jimi_dini

However, there is one thing that does bother me and it is updates. I wish games would be more polished when they came out avoiding having to patch them but I guess one can argue the more complicated they become, the more they require patches. PS2 games had a lot of complex, detailed games that didn't require patching and it still seems Japanese games for some reason are most of the times released without ever needing to update them.

Totally agree.

Nowadays it's "oh well, the game is only barely playable, but whatever - we will release it now. We can always patch it later". On PS2, Cube and Wii (and also Wii U) games just worked. They weren't broken pieces of shit. That's why I bought consoles in the first place.

Sure, there was that one bug in of the Zelda games. But that's one single issue, not a ton of issues. I really hate it when I insert a game into my PS3, wait for 10 minutes for the updates to download/install and then the game is still a broken mess. If I had no problem with that, I would simply buy a PC and get games cheaper.

I'm really surprised that Nintendo seem to be able to still keep their high software quality standards. Sure, they patched for example NSMBU. But it got additional controller support. Which makes it okay in my book.

Played around 100 hours of Resident Evil Revelations on Wii U, which is really fun, but there were plenty of bugs. Even really weird ones like the last boss on Ghost Ship freezing and then not being able to die anymore. At least that game never froze my system unlike PS3 games. They can't even create linear first person shooters without all sorts of bugs. It's really embarrassing.

They can't even release a HD collection of games from that area without some new bugs. (Sly Cooper collection, Ico&SotC collection and especially Silent Hill collection all had bugs, Silent Hill was the worst one)

Anyway I really have to wonder if James is paid by Nintendo or if he just wants to help Wii U a bit :p

Dereck

I'm confused as to why they aren't playing the more popular co-op games like Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong. The game was sitting right there, instead they're playing games like NES Remix and NintendoLand. For these guys, and especially these guys, I would expect to play even Super Mario Bros. U.

No thanks with Mike and his uninformed ranting. The systems they play update so much because they don't play them. His remote rant was silly, why buy an Xbox One just to play blu-rays? And there is no way that just the controller itself isn't sufficient enough. Sure the remote is better, but the controller does just fine. Which is evident, because remotes are hardly ever shipped with consoles.

I hope that when I become old, I don't become an old person. I never want to non-jokingly rant about how things are different now and refuse to understand why.

TheYanger

There was a video of Mike playing Mario World, just not a James and Mike mondays, but that's probably WHY they haven't gone down that road - he's played the game to death just recently, it's not nostalgic or anything.

There stereotyping of PS3/Xbox/PS4/Bone players as just shooter fans is a little ridiculous though. The derision implies some kind of 'better' appreciation for other genres of games or something on their part, but the reality is the Wii and Wii U lack ALL GENRES of game compared to the other systems. Yes, shooters are AAA big name titles, but there are better games in every fucking category accross the board, because those systems sell better, ahve more informed gamers in general (Wii anyway, Wii U then numbers alone make any other metric irrelevent), and are more powerful.Sorry Mike, I didn't buy an Xbox to play Halo exclusively (although Halo is certainly better than a great many first party nintendo games anymore), and maybe you're the one that needs to broaden your horizons a bit. Yeah, the Bone and the PS4 have pretty meager libraries right now - MAYBE even worse than the Wii U, I think it's a valid stance, all of 6 months after their launches. But they still have decent games that aren't FPS too. Just smacks of the kind of attitude that most nintendo fans are derided for: Nobody HATES nintendo games, but the notion that the only thing you like if you don't love Nintendo is Call of Duty? That shit got tired 7 years ago and isn't any more true than anyone saying Nintendo systems are 'kiddie'

Hmm. Tempted to post that in the comments section. I think Mike gets WAY too much hate and I feel sorry for the guy sometimes, but to just watch ignorance for 1/3 of a video is painful.

Dereck

I would like to see James & Mike play 3D World or DK together.

There stereotyping of PS3/Xbox/PS4/Bone players as just shooter fans is a little ridiculous though. The derision implies some kind of 'better' appreciation for other genres of games or something on their part, but the reality is the Wii and Wii U lack ALL GENRES of game compared to the other systems. Yes, shooters are AAA big name titles, but there are better games in every fucking category accross the board, because those systems sell better, ahve more informed gamers in general (Wii anyway, Wii U then numbers alone make any other metric irrelevent), and are more powerful.Sorry Mike, I didn't buy an Xbox to play Halo exclusively (although Halo is certainly better than a great many first party nintendo games anymore), and maybe you're the one that needs to broaden your horizons a bit. Yeah, the Bone and the PS4 have pretty meager libraries right now - MAYBE even worse than the Wii U, I think it's a valid stance, all of 6 months after their launches. But they still have decent games that aren't FPS too. Just smacks of the kind of attitude that most nintendo fans are derided for: Nobody HATES nintendo games, but the notion that the only thing you like if you don't love Nintendo is Call of Duty? That shit got tired 7 years ago and isn't any more true than anyone saying Nintendo systems are 'kiddie'

Hmm. Tempted to post that in the comments section. I think Mike gets WAY too much hate and I feel sorry for the guy sometimes, but to just watch ignorance for 1/3 of a video is painful.
Don't even think about it man, it would just create a chain of more ignorant hate comments. God damn, the first game I ever played on the XBOX ONE was Dead Rising 3. I put 20 hours into it before I stopped playing. Mike is so ignorant about a lot of shit, If I bought a PS3 right now without having ever played it, I would be set for a good 10 years ago, with all kiiiiiiinds of games, all kiiiiiiinds. I don't want to go into this though, it's rare for me complain about someone else's opinion.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There was a video of Mike playing Mario World, just not a James and Mike mondays, but that's probably WHY they haven't gone down that road - he's played the game to death just recently, it's not nostalgic or anything.

I remember that video, it was pretty bad. He was complaining about the White Tanooki Suit and how it "removes all challenge". Even though it's completely optional...

HOLY SHIT.

IT'S BEEN TEN FUCKING YEARS?!

Yep. He made the first two reviews (Simon's Quest and Dr Jekyll & Mr. Hyde) waaaay back in 2004, as something fun (and stress-relieving) after finishing his student film. Once he learned about YouTube, he posted them, along with the Karate Kid review, to the site. Mike Matei was the one that told him to do it.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
As a Retro Gamer myself, I literally facepalm every time a fellow Retro Gamer starts complaining about the new things all the time, like they didn't have any redeeming features.

Mike's complaining about the XBox One and both of them complaining about the PS3 makes them sound like a couple of bitter old men. Are frequent updates annoying? Sure, but their hyperbole is kind of annoying.

"Every time I turned the PS3, there was an update. Every single time". For how long did you not play your PS3 in order to have a new update when you turned it on?

"All the XBox One has is Titanfall and.... And that's it". Seriously? How uninformed can Mike be?

Mike is a total spaz, but the PS3 update thing is kind of true. For gamers like me who had both 360 and PS3, but did their multiplat gaming on Xbox, it was downright comical. Yes, I would go a long time between booting up my PS3 sometimes. But there were sooo many updates, and they were soooooo fucking slow.

Just now saw the latest AVGN.
Copi5ET.gif

Brashnir

That was my PS3 experience. Hell, I guarantee you if I turned it on right now, it would make me update it.

Cheerilee

Totally agree.

Nowadays it's "oh well, the game is only barely playable, but whatever - we will release it now. We can always patch it later". On PS2, Cube and Wii (and also Wii U) games just worked. They weren't broken pieces of shit. That's why I bought consoles in the first place.

I remember in the GameCube era, the Xbox came with a hard drive and boasted about their ability to install patches, and we mocked Microsoft, saying that they were going to release buggy games and not care.

Then major first party games like Metroid Prime came out, and had fatal, game-crashing bugs (rare, but they were there), and someone explained that the increase in code size from one generation to the next meant an exponential increase in the likelihood of bugs, and an exponential increase in the difficulty for testers trying to find them, resulting in increased costs for the devs, who might not even catch everything.

Releasing the game gives them access to the biggest group of playtesters in the world, for free. They still need to catch the majority of bugs, otherwise they piss off their customers, but the bugs that are missed can later be found. As Miyamoto once said, a bad game is bad forever. Not true with patches. That was around the time I stopped laughing at Microsoft.

Georome

Mike is a total spaz, but the PS3 update thing is kind of true. For gamers like me who had both 360 and PS3, but did their multiplat gaming on Xbox, it was downright comical. Yes, I would go a long time between booting up my PS3 sometimes. But there were sooo many updates, and they were soooooo fucking slow.

That basically sums up 80% of my PS3 experience. Turn it on to play Uncharted or MLB The Show, wait 2 hours for it to update. Forget that I wanted to play it in the first place.

Holy shit I just watched the Nintendo Land video. I never understood the Mike hate, but holy shit was he over the top.

I get that Mike is a big Nintendo fan, but whining about the PS3 game updates while waiting for a Nintendo game to update was something else without even bringing up the 3 hour update he probably had to do when he bought the system.

Also, bitching that a video game console doesn't come with a remote for the Blu-ray player was mind numbingly dumb let alone the whole "only FPS games" when of the 17 Xbox One games I own, only 2 are FPS.

Just stick to talking about old games Mike.

Pretty much all of this. I love the two of them and watch all their videos but god damn if I didn't get some serious "get off my 8-bit lawn you fucking kids with your Playstations and Xboxes!"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AVGN: Desert Bus

It’s the 10 year anniversary since the first episode of the Angry Video Game Nerd!

In this episode the Nerd takes a look at Desert Bus and Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest Redaction! Desert Bus was a mini game that was included on Penn & Teller’s Smoke and Mirrors (and unreleased game planned for the Sega CD). It was developed by Imagineering and published by Absolute Entertainment. Absolute went out of business so the game was never released but the Nerd was able to obtain a copy to torture himself with! In Desert Bus, you drive a bus from Arizona to Las Vegas in real time. It’s considered one of the worst games ever made, making it ripe for a review by the Nerd!

Then the Nerd takes a look at Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest Redacted – a hack that improves upon the flaws in the original NES game.

silentQ

I really hope AVGN somehow in the script ties in a storyline explanation about how he goes back to reviewing games on the internet. I for some reason want the movie to be treated as just a feature length episode.

rekameohs

Banned
I really hope AVGN somehow in the script ties in a storyline explanation about how he goes back to reviewing games on the internet. I for some reason want the movie to be treated as just a feature length episode.
I'm pretty certain the movie will end with a normal AVGN episode type review of ET.

Menome

If there's one thing that video gives me hope for, it's my dream to eventually hack-fix the SNES version of The Wizard of Oz.

Ishida

Banned
a) it's kind of weird that you know that.

b) I don't think I've used mine in over 3 and a half months.

That's exactly my point.

If you spend a long time without turning on your PS3, you are bound to find a shitload of updates when you finally do. I use the PS3 almost daily, so I haven't found any of the shit that Mike rants about.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
IS he ever going to release that movie of his? That thing has been developing for so long now, it has to be nearing completion.

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/05/26/avgn-vfx-status-5-26-2014/

Status-18-WEB.jpg

Before anyone says “One shot left”, I need to clarify. These scraps of paper represented sequences, not shots. That last paper accounts for 55 shots, 20 of them have been done. For that reason, this is my last VFX update. I’m not going to bother to keep posting the same image of the bulletin board, until that one is gone.

Lesson learned: Unless you have an Iron Man budget, don’t have over 900 VFX shots. It’s a nightmare.

Anyway, we’re moving on. The full picture is locked, meaning there will be no more edits to the movie that will affect timing. Sound and music are now underway!

Meanwhile, I’m working on editing DVD extras which could take several months.

We are also in the process of booking theaters to screen the movie. I am very anxious to announce the premiere date/location, but we need to get everything set and confirmed first. It won’t be too much longer, before I have an epic update. Theatrical screenings will begin happening this summer. DVD/Blu-ray/Online release will happen by the end of the year, just like I said in my Inside Look video.

Top Bottom