• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

It's too bad Rocky & Bullwinkle for NES got such a short review, looks like something that could have gotten a full episode... I've always heard about how awful it is. But if he didn't watch the show, I guess that would explain why it doesn't.

I can't help but feel his complaint about not being able to determine Mary Kate vs. Ashley only exists because he's not playing the game on a Game Boy Color or higher.

I mean, yeah, they probably should have designed the game to be easy to figure out even without color (it'd help make it playable for color-blind peeps as well), but still. He could capture GBC footage in the Crazy Castle review, so it's a little weird he didn't do it here.

Yeah, it's very odd that he'd review a dual-mode GB/GBC game and then not show one single second of GBC footage, which is the version most people who play the game will be playing. There's no way he'd have that problem on GBC. Some dual-mode games just don't work well on the older system, even though the option exists to play them in B&W... (Mega Man X-treme looks awful on the original GB, for instance! Ghosts n Goblins too...)

Cody_D165

Banned
Okay, I'm just gonna ask it.

Does anyone know why the fuck all of the top comments on these Christmas videos are talking about the size of Mike Matei's dick?

I believe it's because various pictures of Mike that have been posted, the most recent I think with him wearing shots, the creases in the material make it look as though he has a long penis. That's basically it as far as I'm aware, and apparently this topic has been going on for months.
Only now it's seems to be getting a lot of attention for some reason.

Okay, I'm just gonna ask it.

Does anyone know why the fuck all of the top comments on these Christmas videos are talking about the size of Mike Matei's dick?

A picture of Mike and James at a convention is on AVGN's Facebook page. The right pant leg of Mike has a fold on the inner side that's perfectly angled to make it look like he's got a dick that hangs down to his knee.

XEmkdaB.jpg

It's too bad Rocky & Bullwinkle for NES got such a short review, looks like something that could have gotten a full episode... I've always heard about how awful it is. But if he didn't watch the show, I guess that would explain why it doesn't.

Yeah, it's very odd that he'd review a dual-mode GB/GBC game and then not show one single second of GBC footage, which is the version most people who play the game will be playing. There's no way he'd have that problem on GBC. Some dual-mode games just don't work well on the older system, even though the option exists to play them in B&W... (Mega Man X-treme looks awful on the original GB, for instance! Ghosts n Goblins too...)

Correct me if Im wrong but he could've fixed this problem if he had used a GB Player on a Gamecube to capture the footage in color instead of a Super Game Boy that can only display in B&W correct?

Or how about the Japan-only Super Game Boy 2? He clearly owns a Super Famicom (he used one to review Super Back to the Future 2). I just don't know if an american GBC game would work on a japanese SGB2.

I'm playing catch up with the 12 days videos.

I remember watching a TAS video of the Bullwinkle game, and was surprised to see it having a very similar UI as Wayne's World. Judging based only on video footage, Wayne's World is the better game of the two.

Day 7 - V.I.P. with Pamela Anderson

Nice to see Playstation looked at again. I feel like he doesn't do much of those games.
Hearing the some of the sound effects are the exact same as GoldenEye just made me realise that both of them are stock library sounds...

Correct me if Im wrong but he could've fixed this problem if he had used a GB Player on a Gamecube to capture the footage in color instead of a Super Game Boy that can only display in B&W correct?

Or how about the Japan-only Super Game Boy 2? He clearly owns a Super Famicom (he used one to review Super Back to the Future 2). I just don't know if an american GBC game would work on a japanese SGB2.
Super Game Boy 2 isn't a GBC. It does have a link cable port though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Happy to see the special guest at the end. We haven't seen him in an official AVGN video since, I dunno, Star Trek?
He was the Joker in Batman part 1 & 2, then returns as Bugs Bunny in Crazy Castle, both after Star Trek....but yeah, after that, he hasn't appeared in a video until now. Not to mention this is the first time he's been in an episode not in a costume.

Zatoth

With Miyamoto visiting some YT stars. Do you think there is chance we will see him in one of the nerds SHITSmas videos? Don't really think it is possible. But it would be amazing.

He was the Joker in Batman part 1 & 2, then returns as Bugs Bunny in Crazy Castle, both after Star Trek....but yeah, after that, he hasn't appeared in a video until now. Not to mention this is the first time he's been in an episode not in a costume.
You're right. I thought those were earlier episodes, but now that I think about it Star Trek appeared in the older room in the old location.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wonder once the 12th day review is out, there'll be a video of all the reviews combined, or if it'd be considered too long for YouTube. Maybe split in half with Days 1 through 6 in one video, then the rest in another?

I wonder once the 12th day review is out, there'll be a video of all the reviews combined, or if it'd be considered too long for YouTube. Maybe split in half with Days 1 through 6 in one video, then the rest in another?

You can upload like 10 hour videos to youtube a compilation video of shitmas should be fine

No, the SGB2 is still an original Game Boy, that wouldn't work. You are correct that the GB Player would play the game in GBC mode and solve the color issue, though, yes. The GB Player is a consolized Game Boy Advance.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So 3 days left. Any guesses as what could they could be? Next one seems like it could be a system, while after that, it could be a PS2/Xbox/GCN title.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
Hearing the some of the sound effects are the exact same as GoldenEye just made me realise that both of them are stock library sounds...

Super Game Boy 2 isn't a GBC. It does have a link cable port though.

some GBC games will play just without color on a regular GB unit, although features may be missing or there of

I use to play zelda LA color on my B/W gameboy and just a special dungeon wasnt accessible

Mafia Films

Neo Member
His later videos are no where near as entertaining as the early years imo. The humour falls flat.

hes trying too hard.

Whats ridiculous is the people watching his content dont know anything about retro so just take his gameplay as fact, even though its heavily edited and contrived. The toughness/difficulty in the games he plays are often heavily contrived and put-on by him. Then later when you watch him play a ordinary NES game he has such difficulty getting past certain stuff which blurs the lines of is the game really that difficult or does he just have flaccid thumbs?

Anyone remember how he kept the landing part on Top Gun going? then when someone asked at a Q&A to him IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO LAND THE PLANE, he said no not really you just follow what it says on the screen I.E altitude and speed.

ghibli99

I much prefer his James & Mike Mondays. Some of their stream of consciousness comments make me laugh out loud lots of times, and it's not because they're screaming and cursing as loud as possible like so many other channels. These are two dudes I probably would have been good friends with growing up, like the Game Sack guys.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
hes trying too hard.

Whats ridiculous is the people watching his content dont know anything about retro so just take his gameplay as fact, even though its heavily edited and contrived. The toughness/difficulty in the games he plays are often heavily contrived and put-on by him. Then later when you watch him play a ordinary NES game he has such difficulty getting past certain stuff which blurs the lines of is the game really that difficult or does he just have flaccid thumbs?

Anyone remember how he kept the landing part on Top Gun going? then when someone asked at a Q&A to him IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO LAND THE PLANE, he said no not really you just follow what it says on the screen I.E altitude and speed.

are you telling me.... it's all just an act? I've been living a lie.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
are you telling me.... it's all just an act? I've been living a lie.

i get where he was coming from in his earlier episodes, but how much of that stuff is contrived like a reality TV series.

get mad if you want, i know its entertainment but when hes trying to hoax/fool people...thats not entertainment but playing on the naive-ness of the viewer

Lothar

Banned
hes trying too hard.

He said in his Making Of video that he only faked deaths in the very beginning. Maybe Top Gun is one of those he was talking about. Now it's genuine. I definitely believe him because I see how terrible he is at games in the Mike and James videos. He was actually skipping chests in Super Ghouls N Goblins because he didn't want to lose a weapon that wasn't even good for the stage he was on. It was almost impossible for him to beat Turbo Tunnels in Battletoads. He's not too good at video games.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
He said in his Making Of video that he only faked deaths in the very beginning. Maybe Top Gun is one of those he was talking about. Now it's genuine. I definitely believe him because I see how terrible he is at games in the Mike and James videos. He was actually skipping chests in Super Ghouls N Goblins because he didn't want to lose a weapon that wasn't even good for the stage he was on. It was almost impossible for him to beat Turbo Tunnels in Battletoads. He's not too good at video games.

Last statement says it, i mean the guy is cool and has the nostalgia from being young/a kid around the time but he doesnt have the true skill.

I love his vid with mike about the super scope and he didnt know about the charge shot and was like WOW IT TAKES TOO LONG TO DO DAMAGE! HELLO MCFLY CHARGE IT UP!

hes trying too hard.

While I agree he might be trying to hard in some of his newer videos, I don't think he's necessarily 'bad' at playing video games. Watch Mike and Mike Mondays. He plays lot of hard games (Super Ghouls and Ghosts) and does rather well, often beating them.

I would't say he is bad, he's beaten some tough games, but he's not an obsessive game player/fan. James doesn't strike me as someone who would be a member of Neogaf or be reading information every day on game news or buying dozens of games a year. He 's just a guy who liked/likes video games and a created a character playing on those childhood memories of frustration and general nostalgia.

I was always pretty sure that Mike played through the harder parts in some of the games so James could get footage.

And I mean, you or I are not very good at video games compared to the cats who can speed run classic NES games in 10-20 minutes. And is someone who can beat Ninja Gaiden in 17 minutes "not too good" at video games if they then can't come up with basic effective strategies in a Civ game or Starcraft?

Lothar

Banned
I would't say he is bad, he's beaten some tough games, but he's not an obsessive game player/fan. James doesn't strike me as someone who would be a member of Neogaf or be reading information every day on game news or buying dozens of games a year. He 's just a guy who liked/likes video games and a created a character playing on those childhood memories of frustration and general nostalgia.

Unfortunately, this is true. It's so bizarre to me that a gamer who loved NES and SNES growing up wouldn't be at all into the Nintendo64 when it was released. He was the perfect age for it. Just entering college. Nintendo64 was the system made for dorms and nerd parties. How could someone who was a big Castlevania fan and has one of his favorite games being FF6 miss out on the Playstation with Castlevania SOTN and FF7?

Think of the gems we could have if James was big into the Nintendo64 and Playstation. Those systems have far worse junk than SNES had.

Tambini

hes trying too hard.

he talks about this in the back to the future revisited episode, he didnt always know how to land the plane but when he revisited it he found how simple it was, i don't think the original video was him faking it.

DarkCloud

While I agree he might be trying to hard in some of his newer videos, I don't think he's necessarily 'bad' at playing video games. Watch Mike and Mike Mondays. He plays lot of hard games (Super Ghouls and Ghosts) and does rather well, often beating them.

The guy had the patience and determination to beat Transformers. That alone makes him better at retro gaming than anyone I know (including myself).

Balb

Unfortunately, this is true. It's so bizarre to me that a gamer who loved NES and SNES growing up wouldn't be at all into the Nintendo64 when it was released. He was the perfect age for it. Just entering college. Nintendo64 was the system made for dorms and nerd parties. How could someone who was a big Castlevania fan and has one of his favorite games being FF6 miss out on the Playstation with Castlevania SOTN and FF7?

Think of the gems we could have if James was big into the Nintendo64 and Playstation. Those systems have far worse junk than SNES had.

People get in and out of video games all the time. Not everyone is a lifer.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
[/B]

he talks about this in the back to the future revisited episode, he didnt always know how to land the plane but when he revisited it he found how simple it was, i don't think the original video was him faking it.

I can savy with him, i remember playing the game and I couldnt figure out how to land (in the 2nd top gun) and my dad could do it everytime, being 4-5 yrs old at the time I couldnt comprehend it then same as the truth, dad told me to look at the on screen specs and match them up. Then after that no problem.

We can all speculate on what he was and wasnt trying to do but we can AGREE some of the stuff is "angled" to gain that aspect of entertainment....or at least I can easily see it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Day 10 - Hyperscan

Holy crap, I think I remember the commercials for this. Came out in 2006, so it's considered relatively new for AVGN material, but cool to see another system being looked at.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Day 10 - Hyperscan

Holy crap, I think I remember the commercials for this. Came out in 2006, so it's considered relatively new for AVGN material, but cool to see another system being looked at.
It'd be nice if he reviewed the Zeebo as well. It's not as bad as the Hyperscan, but it's got its fair share of awful games.

I'm waiting for him to do Nintendo 64 VS. PlayStation, like he did with SNES VS. Sega Genesis.

Top Bottom