• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Lothar

Banned
Rösti;144147712 said:
I'm waiting for him to do Nintendo 64 VS. PlayStation, like he did with SNES VS. Sega Genesis.

He can't do that. He knows absolutely nothing about them from what I've gathered. Castlevania: SOTN is the only good PS1 game I've ever heard him mention and that's something he discovered many years after. He once said in one of the James and Mike plays that Starfox 64 was after his time. He's a horror movie buff and loves video games but I've never seen him say one word about Silent Hill or Resident Evil. (Except for the Tiger game) Or any survival horror. It's too bad he missed out on that genre. I think he would have liked them and made some good videos about them.

Also that Hyperscan video was a very good hilarious AVGN episode. The last two were the best in this Christmas series.

What a waste of money that was(yes, I owned one).

lol poor guy..what did you pay for it?

Also to add to the conversation above after watching all his videos you can get that he's decent at video games but his true passion is movies (specifically B horror movies) and I recall one of his vids where he stated that initially he use to fake stuff a lot but after a while all his dying are genuine so if anything I'll say he ahs the patience of a saint.

As far as Cinemassarces folks gaming skills goes Bootsie is the best though followed by Mike

ElTopo

Banned
I wonder if he'll ever do the E.T. PS1 game. It's pretty bad:

hqdefault.jpg

There's a PS1 E.T. game?

rezuth

It's a shame he can't even manage to act upset or annoyed these days. The magic is kinda lost when you get the feeling he is just rushing out another one of these shit videos he hates to grab some cash and appease fans.

Lothar

Banned
It's a shame he can't even manage to act upset or annoyed these days. The magic is kinda lost when you get the feeling he is just rushing out another one of these shit videos he hates to grab some cash and appease fans.

He sounded upset and annoyed plenty in the last two videos. A few of the games in this series weren't that bad and he's being honest and saying they were okay like Lethal Weapon rather than make stuff up. He certainly doesn't need to do 12 videos to appease fans. No fan would expect him to do 12 videos for Christmas. He's going above and beyond right now. What in the world would make you think he hates doing the videos?

ElTopo

Banned
When do you guys think James will retire the Nerd character? I mean, I get impression that he wants to do something more outside of videogames but he went with the AVGN movie because it had the best chance of being fully funded.

I think he'll put an end to it when he has more than enough saved up for his daughter's future college fund, retirement money, and get funding for another film.

Dremark

Banned
When do you guys think James will retire the Nerd character? I mean, I get impression that he wants to do something more outside of videogames but he went with the AVGN movie because it had the best chance of being fully funded.

I think he'll put an end to it when he has more than enough saved up for his daughter's future college fund, retirement money, and get funding for another film.

I'll be totally honest for the past two years or so I kind of wanted him to move on. I felt like his quality tanked and it felt like he was just going through the motions.

This current set of videos is the best stuff he's put out in years (except maybe the movie, which I haven't watched yet but looks terrible). I don't know if it's because the videos are shorter or because it's a longer series and he doesn't feel the need to dwell on stuff but these videos feel pretty close to him at his best.

The complaints aren't forced, he even admitted a few of the games were pretty decent and they don't have skits which can drag them down. If he went a little more in depth on them most of them would make solid full episodes.

Anyway it feels like he's back on his game, hope he stays there.

Dremark

Banned
The Top Gun episode was dramatizing many of our experiences from back in the day. That's what made it so funny for many of us.

Yeah I remember showing my older brother the Top Gun and the Power Glove video a while back. He watched them and laughed, but his response was basically "I really don't need to watch those videos, the two of us lived through that".

To me that was a lot of the appeal of the earlier videos, watching him tear into some old disappointing game we wasted a weekend rental on or such.

How does he not realize that the backgrounds in Universal Studios Theme Park are prerendered like in Resident Evil? The problem with the controls that he mentioned are the reason Capcom went for tank controls in RE. You guys are right, PSX wasn't his generation, but isn't that the first thing you think about when you have fixed camera angles?

gerudoman

I really liked the Universal Studios Theme Park one even if I had already seen its James & Mike Play. I feel like this is the first video of this marathon that could work as a standalone regular episode.

I'll be totally honest for the past two years or so I kind of wanted him to move on. I felt like his quality tanked and it felt like he was just going through the motions.

This current set of videos is the best stuff he's put out in years (except maybe the movie, which I haven't watched yet but looks terrible). I don't know if it's because the videos are shorter or because it's a longer series and he doesn't feel the need to dwell on stuff but these videos feel pretty close to him at his best.

The complaints aren't forced, he even admitted a few of the games were pretty decent and they don't have skits which can drag them down. If he went a little more in depth on them most of them would make solid full episodes.

Anyway it feels like he's back on his game, hope he stays there.

I think part of the reason for the dip in quality was because he was trying to make the film and it was kind of this large monkey hanging on his back. Now that he's finished everything and released it James seems a lot happier and it shows in the quality of the videos that he's released over the past year have been drastic improvements over the stuff we got 2-3 years ago.

I've always let the humor and performances of AVGN videos slide, as the main draw of them (for me at least) are information about obscure games and hardware I wouldn't otherwise have known about. I do agree that exaggerating the difficulty of games can be frustrating though, when in practice you can usually develop a strategy and feel for the game's controls with enough patience.

Also, I decided to look up LJN Video Art and so far only found commercials (and a review, but I can just wait for AVGN's own review). But I did discover there's a YouTube channel dedicated to defending LJN games. I'll be checking that out for sure.

I've always let the humor and performances of AVGN videos slide, as the main draw of them (for me at least) are information about obscure games and hardware I wouldn't otherwise have known about. I do agree that exaggerating the difficulty of games can be frustrating though, when in practice you can usually develop a strategy and feel for the game's controls with enough patience.

Also, I decided to look up LJN Video Art and so far only found commercials (and a review, but I can just wait for AVGN's own review). But I did discover there's a YouTube channel dedicated to defending LJN games. I'll be checking that out for sure.

I would love to see someone try and defend the X-Men game. Even as a kid I knew that game was shit.

I would love to see someone try and defend the X-Men game. Even as a kid I knew that game was shit.

That was the first thing I thought of: "the X-Men game was bad even for open minded kid standards"

I'm on the first video and already this guy struggles to defend the BttF game and he just gives up entirely the moment the first mini-game section came up.

Didn't james and mike already go over universal studio in a let's play? seems like a waste of a slot.

If youtube views are anything to go by the J&M plays only get like 200k-250k views on average where as the actual nerd episodes often get well over 500k viewers. I imagine the majority of the nerds fan base does not watch his J&M play videos only his angry nerd reviews.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, seems kind of redundant that they chose that considering it was part of a James & Mike Play. Oh well, tomorrow being an entire LJN console is going to be great.

bobawesome

Hmm, seems kind of redundant that they chose that considering it was part of a James & Mike Play. Oh well, tomorrow being an entire LJN console is going to be great.

I'm glad there's an entire AVGN episode dedicated to it. I can't stand their James & Mike Play videos.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can see why he does the James & Mike Play videos, though. Using his already substantial popularity to get into the huge LP scene is a pretty good idea, and the LPs take WAY less work to edit and put together than Nerd episodes. That's good money for a lot less work, especially considering he can put them out way more frequently than Nerd episodes.

bobawesome

I can see why he does the James & Mike Play videos, though. Using his already substantial popularity to get into the huge LP scene is a pretty good idea, and the LPs take WAY less work to edit and put together than Nerd episodes. That's good money for a lot less work, especially considering he can put them out way more frequently than Nerd episodes.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea and I certainly commend the two of them for making it work in their own way.

baphomet

Didn't he already make a video about the universal video game? Or maybe I'm thinking of something someone else had made.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
He did a 2-parter James & Mike Play on it. Part 1 & Part 2.

I remember this being advertised in Nintendo Power. Heck, I think they even had a few pages in one issue that tried to help you get through the game.

SegaShack

Been watching AVGN since he started. These 12 videos are easily up there with his best. Comes across as real and natural as the early ones. No forced characters and gags, just him being honest about the games.

I remember renting the Universal Gamecube game at Blockbuster and me and my friends were laughing so hard at it that we ended up buying it for 10 bucks a few weeks later. James failed to mention two of the other attractions.

There is a movie trivia quiz in the game which asks the most obscure questions you can think of. One question asks what color a character's tie was. They are all for PG13 and R Rated movies took which kids playing the game most likely didn't see.

The other is a Wild West shoot out that plays like a shooting gallery.

That being said, James did cover the key complaints of the game. He was dishonest about needing the hats to enter rides. For half the price of a hat you can buy an "E Ticket" which works once to get on any ride. The hats are a premium to keep going on that same ride. Also, when you start there will be one ride with no line.

Honestly, this game is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. It has great comedy value, great music, and the games are just fun enough to keep me playing.

So, am I the only one who noticed THIS during yesterday's video?

18c322af52.jpg

~My Little Boy Can't Be This Kawaii!

(Actually, it would seem all the playable characters have a bunch of Kawaiiko traits arbitrarily slapped on in a way which seems more creepy than endearing.)

Top Bottom