• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

In all honesty not all of the LJN games that get bashes in those types of videos are really bad. Back to the Future gets trashed and while it's not a great game on it's not really bad either. And this is coming from someone who got the game new, brought it home and was disappointed by it.

Sounds like stockholm syndrome to me

:p

I ended up subbing to LJN Defender. *awkard shifting eyes*

Not a lot of people, much less reviewers, would actually try to complete D-tier NES games.

But yeah LJN games range from okay (Friday the 13th) to unplayable (X-Men) depending on who made it.

I owned that LJN thing as a kid and could swear I used a fill function with it. I could be mixing it up with a "game" from the thing below as well since I owned that around the same time.

300px-Yeno_Professeur_Saitout_03.jpg

Holy shit! I owned one of these when I was a kid. I could never remember what it was called or what it looked like but have wondered for YEARS what that thing was.

Timu

Not a lot of people, much less reviewers, would actually try to complete D-tier NES games.

But yeah LJN games range from okay (Friday the 13th) to unplayable (X-Men) depending on who made it.
I didn't like Friday the 13th(I preferred Nightmare on Elm Street to it) and lol X-Men.

Its not like much has changed on the movie/tv show license front of gaming. Most still suck today. Just pumped out to make a quick buck while the popularity is at its high. I've played a few myself (jaws, nightmare on elm streem) and probably my favorite one of their games, Spider-man and the x-men in arcade's revenge. I mostly just played that one for the music though lol.

Dremark

Banned
Sounds like stockholm syndrome to me

:p

No I actually sat down and played through it as an adult without expecting it to be a great game because it has Back to the Future on the cover.

The game is decent but not great by any stretch and I really doubt the game would be considered bad if it was named something else.

No I actually sat down and played through it as an adult without expecting it to be a great game because it has Back to the Future on the cover.

The game is decent but not great by any stretch and I really doubt the game would be considered bad if it was named something else.

Technically it could have been objectively better if it was something else, because then they wouldn't have had tried to take a song they couldn't license and then speed it up to hide what the song is.

I don't consider BttF a great game myself, but it did have a good framerate and smooth movement, and it rewards dexterity.

I actually went back to Excitebike 64 recently, and finally, after 14 years, beat the game! Pretty awesome. I'd gotten stuck at the Platinum circuit of the Professional (Hard) difficulty, that is just two from the end, but it was just so, so hard... but I finally did it, and then the last one too. It's such an amazing game, easily one of the best motorcycle racing games ever!

Oh god, watching the guy second on the left play is so painful. Why did no one tell him how to hold the controller. :/

Mike finally notices how wrongly that guy is holding the controller near the end of the video, but doesn't bother to actually show him how to hold it. :( Watching that guy play was pretty painful. And he was using the best character, too!

Dereck

I saw that in my subscription box, and in an act of naivety I thought dude really just put the whole movie on YouTube for free.

Shadows of the Empire is a difficult, frustrating game, though. I gave up in level 2, just didn't seem worth it...

Not at all, it's a game I was able to beat back when I was like 8 or 9 back when I was no where near as good at games as I am now. James is just bad at most modern games

Edit: I just realized I called an N64 a "modern game" oh my lawd

I saw that in my subscription box, and in an act of naivety I thought dude really just put the whole movie on YouTube for free.
Its not ? :O

I thought this as well, just saw this in my inbox at work but I was wondering this as well.

Ok so weird that its 1 hour and 35 min as a normal video but I guess when you click on it you have to pay?

maharg

idspispopd
Not at all, it's a game I was able to beat back when I was like 8 or 9 back when I was no where near as good at games as I am now. James is just bad at most modern games

When people say stuff like this they seem to be forgetting that what they lacked in skill when they were 8 or 9 they more than made up for in available time. SOTE was, if nothing else, a deeply tedious game. Perfect for a kid to shovel through because it's ZOMG STAR WARS ON THE N64!!!111, but for any adult it's just a dire game.

At any rate it's not like you can tell how long they spent on it in total. Didn't seem like that long to me, though. And I agree that he's not generally as invested in post-SNES games as he is in SNES games. I just don't really see it in this case since this is a game that really stretches out any failure.

When people say stuff like this they seem to be forgetting that what they lacked in skill when they were 8 or 9 they more than made up for in available time. SOTE was, if nothing else, a deeply tedious game. Perfect for a kid to shovel through because it's ZOMG STAR WARS ON THE N64!!!111, but for any adult it's just a dire game.

As I'm currently playing Persona 4 Golden an 80+ hour game I don't really agree with that, and besides until I was like 14 I could only play 1 hour on saturday and 1 hour on sunday so for me to beat anything it took a month or two of focused play

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As I'm currently playing Persona 4 Golden an 80+ hour game I don't really agree with that, and besides until I was like 14 I could only play 1 hour on saturday and 1 hour on sunday so for me to beat anything it took a month or two of focused play
I guess it depends on how much your parents would let you play when you were growing up. I remember my dad would try imposing the hour rule, but it usually didn't work.

As a college student, I don't have that same amount of free time anymore. I'm lucky to get a few hours a week now. Heck, considering RPGs are my fav. genre (which is probably why the hour limit didn't work as a kid), I had to sell a couple of them in my backlog because I knew I wouldn't be able to find the time to just sit & play them on my PS360. Granted, handheld stuff is a bit easier to find time for because of how easy I can pick them up & make a little progress (like Persona Q, which I started during Winter Break).

All depends on the person. Some people get more time to game, others get less time.

I can't handle how bad James is at games. The shadows of the empire episodes have been terrible.

They are making it way harder on themselves because they don't know you can strafe by holding the shoulder button.

I had the same problem many years ago when I first played it.

maharg

idspispopd

If you got through the longer levels in SotE without breaking this one hour at a time cap then you were a much better video game player at 8 or 9 than you give yourself credit for, imo.

MechaX

I was able to beat SotE when I was like 8 as well, but I'm not going to say that my first couple of runs on those levels were anything but atrocious (especially the Swoop level). And combine that with the awful checkpoint system... yeah.

Hell, they are still making some steady progress through the game as is.

Timu

At any rate it's not like you can tell how long they spent on it in total. Didn't seem like that long to me, though. And I agree that he's not generally as invested in post-SNES games as he is in SNES games. I just don't really see it in this case since this is a game that really stretches out any failure.
Kinda surprising since he also grew up on the N64 as he mentioned in that Castlevania episode that he picked the N64 over the PS1 in that gen. Obviously he's into the NES and SNES more, but I'm sure he's played quite a bit of N64 games.

Really surprised that James doesn't seem to have a Gamecube, considering what a Nintendo fan he is/was growing up. Had a look on the 'games collecting chart' update on his site. Wow. Guess the guy really just thought 'fuck it' after the N64

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think he stated in one of his Let's Play videos with Mike that at that time, he was in college when the GameCube came out, so he was kind of out of the loop for a bit.

Unless my memory serves me wrong & someone wants to correct me on that.

I think he stated in one of his Let's Play videos with Mike that at that time, he was in college when the GameCube came out, so he was kind of out of the loop for a bit.

Unless my memory serves me wrong & someone wants to correct me on that.

Yeah I do remember that actually. I'm still surprised he hasn't picked up some since though..

Timu

Really surprised that James doesn't seem to have a Gamecube, considering what a Nintendo fan he is/was growing up. Had a look on the 'games collecting chart' update on his site. Wow. Guess the guy really just thought 'fuck it' after the N64
I thought he did when he played that Universal Studios gamecube game.

EdgeXL

He played Shadow the Hedgehog in 2013 for the holiday special and last year he played the Universal Studios game. He played Aquaman in a James & Mike Monday. Those are all Gamecube titles.

I think he might have had a 4-player Gamecube game going with his friends in one video but I can't remember.

Top Bottom