• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

ElTopo

Banned
Rondo isn't that hard. It's hard but it's very fair and it saves your progress at that.

I think Rondo is easily the best linear Castlevania game.

James probably could beat Rondo of Blood if he played it by himself and focused considering he has beaten Castlevania 1 and got to the final boss of Castlevania 3.

I think it's a combo of

1- Not being that great at more modern games
2- Talking to each other while playing
3- Trying to be funny as they're on video

Heck I'm sure we've all had times where you do something easily, then you try and replicate said feat to show it to a friend and can't do it to save your life.

It's really not that hard, they are just playing like shit...

Well this is a first time play through for both of them, so no surprise. But Maria is pretty well just easy mode for the game when you unlock her.

Pretty awesome that they are playing this on original hardware though.

Jinkies

Really surprised that James doesn't seem to have a Gamecube, considering what a Nintendo fan he is/was growing up. Had a look on the 'games collecting chart' update on his site. Wow. Guess the guy really just thought 'fuck it' after the N64
He couldn't very well be blamed for believing that Nintendo had, as well. The GCN dragged Nintendo into the "blue ocean," after all.

Jinkies

Your post doesn't make sense

Although this is a low-effort post, I'll respond anyway: Nintendo firmly slid out of the industry limelight throughout the GCN era (as well as the latter parts of the N64's life). It was not unusual for even devout Nintendo fans to shift into PlayStation or Xbox fandom, or perhaps lose interest in videogames altogether.

shanafan

Really surprised that James doesn't seem to have a Gamecube, considering what a Nintendo fan he is/was growing up. Had a look on the 'games collecting chart' update on his site. Wow. Guess the guy really just thought 'fuck it' after the N64

No, college happened. GameCube came out when James was starting college for the most part, and he became more focused at school.

When I went back to college just a few years ago, I stopped following games for a couple years.

You'll notice that Mike's PS2 collection is very, very slim.

one_kill

Although this is a low-effort post, I'll respond anyway: Nintendo firmly slid out of the industry limelight throughout the GCN era (as well as the latter parts of the N64's life). It was not unusual for even devout Nintendo fans to shift into PlayStation or Xbox fandom, or perhaps lose interest in videogames altogether.
Why bring that into discussion given the lack of information we have on James' GC, PS2 and/or XBOX collection?

Also, I believe James was in college during the GC/PS2/XBOX days. I'm sure he mentioned it in a couple of videos (Super Monkey Ball, Smash).

shanafan

Why bring that into discussion given the lack of information we have on James' PS2 and/or XBOX collection?

Also, I believe James was in college during the GC/PS2/XBOX days.

My first run at college was during that era, and I didn't care that much about school. I skipped a day to try to find a PS2, and I may have skipped another day to get Silent Hill 2 and NHL 2001 for PS2 ;)

one_kill

My first run at college was during that era, and I didn't care that much about school. I skipped a day to try to find a PS2, and I may have skipped another day to get Silent Hill 2 and NHL 2001 for PS2 ;)
eh, good for you
thumbs up dude
that's so cool

I skipped the GC/PS2/XBOX generation ;)
I only got back to gaming with the DS

Want to hear more of my story?

thefro

I like how James breaks kayfabe and says "I actually kinda like this game".

James gives a really good explanation of how the map works as well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I like Friday the 13th on NES. I never understood all the hate.

LJN_Ltd_logo.png

ElTopo

Banned
I like Friday the 13th on NES. I never understood all the hate.

Well, I disagree with that. Terrible game. Fairly loyal to the source material but that's all it had going for it.

But, I honestly think the Nightmare on Elm Street game is pretty decent. A 6.5 maybe 7 out of 10. It's flawed but it's not bad at all. I'd give the same kind of rating to Top Gun 2 and Toxic Crusaders on the NES. Actually, Top Gun 2 would probably get a 9 or 10. REALLY good action game. It's a shame that James never took a 2nd look at that one.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I still feel the worst LJN game is X-Men. Abysmal graphics, awful controls and gameplay, forced co-op (a flaw in games that became prevalent decades later)
At least Friday the 13th looked like it was attempting something original.

EDIT: Yes, the Nightmare on Elm Street game was at least decent. It helps that it was made by Rare. With music by David Wise.

Balb

This is random but I remember around the time Super Mario 3D World came out Mike put up a mini Let's Play video for it but took it down sometime afterwards. Anyone know what the deal was with that?

shanafan

This is random but I remember around the time Super Mario 3D World came out Mike put up a mini Let's Play video for it but took it down sometime afterwards. Anyone know what the deal was with that?

Nintendo may have put a copyright strike on it?

That is impressive. Silver Surfer is a hard game with harsh punishment for making even one mistake.

Bootsy deserves extra praise for pointing out how cool the music in the game is.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
New series idea: Bootsy Beats... and it's just him beating old hard as fuck games.
That's a good idea and it could definitely add to the Nerd's line up of videos. I know I'd be up for seeing him best the snot out of games and have James provide comments and some interesting facts in the background while they also shoot the shit with Mike.

Balb

The funny thing about that Battletoads video is that when James is about to give up he says "yeah I mean I don't care about this that much. it's fine if I don't get it...whatever." Then when he beats it he's like "FUCK YEAHHHH WOOOOOOOOO"

Timu

Oh yeah, Silver Surfer, I played it after the AVGN reviewed it. I actually beaten most of the stages but didn't get to the last stage for reasons unknown. I don't know when I'll try it again though.

shanafan

Oh yeah, Silver Surfer, I played it after the AVGN reviewed it. I actually beaten most of the stages but didn't get to the last stage for reasons unknown. I don't know when I'll try it again though.

Do you think James and Bootsy spammed fire too much? James's point was you never know what is coming from the right, but just seemed like it was too much at times!

Timu

Do you think James and Bootsy spammed fire too much? James's point was you never know what is coming from the right, but just seemed like it was too much at times!
Yes, sometimes it's best to wait it out, sure, you want to protect yourself, but at the same time you also want to see what comes from above, below and behind you as well. Also, it'll hurt your hands pushing the button that many times, lol.

Top Bottom