• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

maharg

idspispopd
If you're going to hammer a button like he was doing, I don't really see why you'd consider using turbo 'cheating'. I don't think the skill that matters in video games is how quickly you can deliberately give yourself an RSI.

If you're going to hammer a button like he was doing, I don't really see why you'd consider using turbo 'cheating'. I don't think the skill that matters in video games is how quickly you can deliberately give yourself an RSI.

Some turbo controllers are actually slower then just mashing the a button yourself

Jinkies

Why bring that into discussion given the lack of information we have on James' GC, PS2 and/or XBOX collection?

Also, I believe James was in college during the GC/PS2/XBOX days. I'm sure he mentioned it in a couple of videos (Super Monkey Ball, Smash).
Videogames and college are not mutually exclusive (just the opposite, perhaps).

And you're right, it's just my speculative opinion, but It isn't a leap to imagine that there is a correlation between Nintendo's weakest generation and a serious Nintendo fan fading out of fervor.

pupcoffee

Is James still doing AVGN episodes? I haven't heard anything or seen much. I thought he baited us into thinking he was stopping but carrying on?? Missing his show now lol.

I think he'll keep making them but maybe not in a seasonal format. We might just get a new video whenever he happens to make one. 12 Days of Shitmas was hardly an "ending," type saga.

Rydeen

This seems special
Bomberman II (NES) - James & Mike Mondays
Special guest - Jon Tron

tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500.gif

Dereck

That was a little awkward.
When people meet each other there is an unspoken period where personalities will slightly alter themselves to meet another personality. In that video you can see that in the first 2-3 minutes JonTron adjusts to James & Mike's sense of humor and vice versa, by the end of the video they were all on the same page.

Forsythia

This week, James is reviewing Friday the 13th 6 through X.

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI

Part 6 is probably my favourite of the series. That was the first entry I saw. And I also remember looking everywhere for part 7 (remember, this was before the internet), found it after a few years in a shitty video store in a remote town, which surprisingly had a ton of those great 80's horror movies. No surprise part 7 was the last one I saw before Jason X released. God damn, feeling quite old right now. :)

This reminds me I can buy every entry in the series here in the Netherlands, except for Jason Goes to Hell. Granted, that's probably one of the shittiest (quite an accomplishment), but I want a complete collection!

Rydeen

"Legend says before you die, you see the Game Over Worm." I lol-ed. I wish they'd play something more substantial though. Five minute videos with Jon and James aren't enough!

shanafan

"Legend says before you die, you see the Game Over Worm." I lol-ed. I wish they'd play something more substantial though. Five minute videos with Jon and James aren't enough!

I like the flow. I like how they played through Shadows of the Empire, but then play something like 3-D World Runner. They are really playing homage to the vast huge library of video games. I like seeing the stuff that fell at the waste side that we would never have had about unless they covered it.

We have all seen Zelda, Contra, Mario, etc being played, so it's neat seeing the unknowns make appearances every now and then ;)

Rydeen

I like seeing the stuff that fell at the waste side that we would never have had about unless they covered it.

We have all seen Zelda, Contra, Mario, etc being played, so it's neat seeing the unknowns make appearances every now and then ;)
I like more obscure game choices, prefer them over the common stuff, but I'd like the videos with Jon to be longer considering Mike and James videos are sometimes 20-30 minutes.

Timu

The best James and Mike Mondays vids are the ones where they try their hardest to beat the games, definitely the more difficult ones.

It would be nice if they actually knew how to play the game... you run into the green pillars for powerups. You get a weapon that way. There are also Space Harrier-style bossfights where you fly. This was one of the earlier NES games I got after getting the console back in '07; at first I thought there wasn't much to the game (simple but decent gameplay), but there is a bit more to it than you see in that video.

Watching this video was frustrating, I kept thinking 'argh, stop avoiding the green pillars!'... :p

shanafan

It would be nice if they actually knew how to play the game... you run into the green pillars for powerups. You get a weapon that way. There are also Space Harrier-style bossfights where you fly. This was one of the earlier NES games I got after getting the console back in '07; at first I thought there wasn't much to the game (simple but decent gameplay), but there is a bit more to it than you see in that video.

Watching this video was frustrating, I kept thinking 'argh, stop avoiding the green pillars!'... :p

Sometimes I think they deliberately do not play the game correctly for the video itself. Sonic '06 was also hard to watch because they kept skipping past the tutorial scenes, and then acted confuse that they didn't know what to do.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Next Tuesday, the AVGN will be reviewing TMNT 2014 with the Nostalgia Critic.

Their last major crossover was 6 years ago.

....what...you are SUPPOSED to run into the pillers? LOL I never knew that back when the game first came out. Being the Space Harrier fan I just played the like that and avoided the pillers! oops

maharg

idspispopd

They play it the way most of us played games back then -- by throwing out the manual. Half the time it was full of incomprehensible gibberish anyways. Some games just did a better job of teaching you in game than others.

Top Bottom