• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guys, I've got it.

An AVGN & Board James crossover where they play a bad video game adaptation of a board game.

I have a theory that Board James is a prequel, and he eventually morphs into the angry, spiteful AVGN. Board James just seems so youthful and fun (well until he killed his friends)

EDIT: Oh wait, Board James has already showed up in AVGN. I guess theory defeated

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Must have gotten rid of the Bone.

That setup has to be super laggy though, multiple switches, and scaling.

Eila

Hah I was thinking the same thing. Watching them play in those few minutes, it seemed like they didn't have the Golden Axe strategy down (divide enemies, use running kicks/headbutts, etc.). They were mostly hacking and slashing. Still, the game restarting on them was kind of funny. :p

Also, another video posted to Cinemassacre's channel:

Hooking up Multiple Video Game Systems by Mike Matei

Mikey, what are you doing with all those switches? And on a LCD, too. I don't know how he doesn't notice all the input delay he's adding to his old consoles.
I think he went from HDMI to HDMI to composite to another composite. Though to be fair I think only changing the signal adds delay? So it would be the added delay from composite to HDMI and then the ms it takes for the TV to catch on.

hazukash

This actually feels more like classic AVGN than most modern AVGN eps at times (I like both). Good ep, love that we will get more board james episodes.

Agreed, Board James is basically classic AVGN. It's James at its best. He really should start alternating between Board James and AVGN videos every other month, but I'm not sure his fanbase would agree. I love James & Mike Play as well, and the JonTron eps were golden. I don't even like JonTron, but he was really entertaining.

Agreed, Board James is basically classic AVGN. It's James at its best. He really should start alternating between Board James and AVGN videos every other month, but I'm not sure his fanbase would agree. I love James & Mike Play as well, and the JonTron eps were golden. I don't even like JonTron, but he was really entertaining.

It's weird I've enjoyed JonTron when he's crossed over onto other youtubers channels, but his actual video series does nothing for me.

I think its time for me to move away from AVGN

I think he started losing it after he started playing the games thats been requested just because they're bad. His best are the ones he played as a child and that has haunted him til this day

There's no games left from those days

eXistor

I think he started losing it after he started playing the games thats been requested just because they're bad. His best are the ones he played as a child and that has haunted him til this day

I was just gonna post some thing similar. I still very much enjoy AVGN and I think this was a decent episode, but it's not the kind of game I want to see him playing. There are still lots of bad, more well-known games we can actually remember seeing back in the day even if we haven't actually played them.

But I agree that his childhood ones are the best, you can really feel the lack of interest in these episodes.

Petrae

I think it's more a combination of factors:

1. James has a child now, which changes priorities.
2. James is juggling several different projects-- James & Mike Mondays, Board James, and other collaborative efforts (he just shot a TMNT review with Doug "Nostalgia Critic" Walker recently).
3. He's expended a lot of creative energy over the last couple of years, largely on his feature film, and it takes awhile to rebuild that.

Personally, I look forward to James & Mike Mondays every week. It's become one of my favorite series. Even if the AVGN series has permanently lost a step (which I hope isn't the case), it's given me enough laughs and joy over the years that I'll keep watching it.

shanafan

Man, I haven't seen Nolstagia Guy in ages, but that TMNT review was pretty bad.

I stopped watching the Critic after he quit a few years ago. When he came back, his reviews turned in 30 minute plus reviews with focus on reviewing a movie - and having some hired actors side story that pertains to the review. That got to be too much for me. I prefer his old 10-15 minute reviews solely focusing only on the movie.

With that being said, is there anyone doing like a "next generation" type of series about PS1 and N64 games?

Obviously a lot of people cover those, but I mean a series where someone in his or her early 20s is covering shitty games they played as a child, with that same feeling of personal hatred the early AVGN had?

There certainly isn't a lack of material to use from that era.

krae_man

Must have gotten rid of the Bone.

That setup has to be super laggy though, multiple switches, and scaling.

Mikey, what are you doing with all those switches? And on a LCD, too. I don't know how he doesn't notice all the input delay he's adding to his old consoles.
I think he went from HDMI to HDMI to composite to another composite. Though to be fair I think only changing the signal adds delay? So it would be the added delay from composite to HDMI and then the ms it takes for the TV to catch on.

Yeah, That setup is bonkers.

I had something similar:

t33lr.jpg

The TV I had was a was a 32" Bravia with the following inputs:

2 Composite
2 Component
1 composite w/ S Video
3 HDMI
1 Coaxel
1 VGA
1 Optical out

Ad it's Height I had the following hooked up:

Composite 1: Switch with NES, SNES, Genesis/Sega CD/32X, Kensington Vii(Cheap Chinese Wii Ripoff, Hilariously bad)

Composite 2: Switch with PS1, N64, Sega Master System

Composite 3: S-Video Switch with: Neo Geo CD, 3DO, Jaguar, Saturn

Component 1: Switch with PS2, Gamecube, Wii

Composite 2: Empty

HDMI 1: PS3
HDMI 2: Xbox 360
HDMI 3: WiiU

VGA: Dreamcast

Coaxel: Atari 800XL

Optical Out: Sound Bar

The only daisy chaining I did was with surge protectors. I had one surge protector with all the regularly used stuff(sound bar, TV, PS3, Wii etc), and the other Surge protectors were daisy chained into another surge protector that was easily accessible on the side and that surge protector was switched off when I wasn't playing the retro systems. Those bricks don't last forever. I never noticed a lag problem and I didn't think the classic consoles looked too bad on a 720p 32" TV.

Also turning everything on at once is just insane, I'm surprised he didn't blow a fuse.

shanafan

Also turning everything on at once is just insane, I'm surprised he didn't blow a fuse.

Ha, I thought the same thing! Even if I have my Xbox One, TV, receiver on - the moment I let my portable heater start running at a normal temperature, the circuit breaker turns power off :(

Ok, I'm way late to this but I just discovered The Irate Gamer and fuck that guy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdjYYFOGE3k

I've been an AVGN fan for years, since his first few videos and I completely missed this other guy that entire time. Just watching this SMB2 video and he is a shameless carbon copy of James' character. Same style of video, same vocabulary, same style of editing and special effects... except his performance is trash.

Just... shameless...

Ok, I'm way late to this but I just discovered The Irate Gamer and fuck that guy,

I've been an AVGN fan for years, since his first few videos and I completely missed this other guy that entire time. Just watching this SMB2 video and he is a shameless carbon copy of James' character. Same style of video, same vocabulary, same style of editing and special effects... except his performance is trash.

Just... shameless...

Wow. That's just painful to watch.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's waaaaaaay bigger problems with the Irate Gamer than just being a Chinese Bootleg AVGN
The biggest is that he's not actually a gamer and doesn't know what he's talking about. Many of his complaints are baffling (like complaining that all you do in a fighting game... is fight, or how he always complains that NES games have lame endings), or outright hypocritical (often complains about games being too hard, then complains that certain bosses or even entire games are too easy), and often he makes comparisons that don't make sense (comparing Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin to Diablo)
His acting and delivery is immensely awkward. Even today (yes, he's still doing videos) he hasn't really improved.
He's under the belief that references by themselves are jokes, often going for bizarre Family Guy-esque cutaway gags that his 9 year old audience wouldn't understand.

He's inconsistent in what he wants his audience to be. There are times where he'll curse, but then there's times where he won't, or he'll even bleep himself. Makes no sense.

It just smacks of laziness. I mean, you can still be an "angry reviewer" without copying his exact style and presentation.

Plus I just found out he does like bullshit ghost hunting videos and I now care for him even less.

Javier

One thing that's really lame about the Irate Gamer is that he "cheats" in some of his videos. Watch his Ghosts 'N Goblins review and notice in some scenes he's using an invincibility Game Genie code.

Just... shameless...

his criticism of Mario Bros 2 is just terrible. also that game was awesome.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Matei/status/586413558260350976
To those curious, I don't get any lag playing NES on my 4k TV by using 4 way RCA splitters..
Accompanied with a vine clip of Battletoads.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One thing that's really lame about the Irate Gamer is that he "cheats" in some of his videos. Watch his Ghosts 'N Goblins review and notice in some scenes he's using an invincibility Game Genie code.

It's not just that. He clearly switched over to the Arcade version because the NES version doesn't have an invincibility cheat. At no point in the video did he reference the obviously better graphics.
Even with invincibility, infinite time and infinite lives, he still tried to make the game sound crazy hard. Hard to believe him when he's in God Mode.

DMiz

I agree that the 'fun factor' to the latest AVGN videos has gone down a bit - but it's all understandable. James has spent a lot of time on this character, and when you consider the fact that James - as a real human being - seems to have quite a different personality form the Nerd (he always comes off incredibly polite and nice when he's not in character), it's probably draining to think up new ways to be 'angry'.

If anything, it's incredible that he's kept up the output for so long despite his other projects on top of his new family.

While AVGN may not be necessarily the same quality of content over the years, I still watch the new videos that come out and also enjoy whatever footage he has of him just having fun with games. Hoping all the best for him and thanks to all the great content he has made over the years.

Hubble

I did not notice anything different with AVGN personally. It's the same ole guy. The one thing I wish though is he really needs to transfer his creativity into newer current gen games to evolve.

NIGHT-

Am I the only one that loves AVGN( and James in general) but couldn't stand the avgn movie? I couldn't even finish it last night

Lothar

Banned
Am I the only one that loves AVGN( and James in general) but couldn't stand the avgn movie? I couldn't even finish it last night

I believe that is almost everyone.

I don't see a huge drop in quality in AVGN episodes though. He just released some in December that were very good and I remember most people loving.

It was alright, nothing like his episodes though everything felt so forced in the movie. James works best with 10 minute shorts.

and saying that i'm rather sick of his let's plays and lately average AVGN episodes thrown together, his time has come and gone for me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
James is just older now. He's done over a hundred episodes and basically still manages his site and content with alpomb. It stands to reason that if you do every trick in the book you know of, your gonna run out of material eventually. I don't think its a bad thing, but just a side effect of him trying to move on.

I actually was pretty amused by that Hong Kong 97 video, i'm still humming that song.

Jackano

I think it's more a combination of factors:

1. James has a child now, which changes priorities.
2. James is juggling several different projects-- James & Mike Mondays, Board James, and other collaborative efforts (he just shot a TMNT review with Doug "Nostalgia Critic" Walker recently).
3. He's expended a lot of creative energy over the last couple of years, largely on his feature film, and it takes awhile to rebuild that.

Personally, I look forward to James & Mike Mondays every week. It's become one of my favorite series. Even if the AVGN series has permanently lost a step (which I hope isn't the case), it's given me enough laughs and joy over the years that I'll keep watching it.

I think point 1/ isn't valid, and allow me to explain before yelling about why I think this :)
Now that he have a child, he certainly don't want to drop his N°1 project who generate hundreds of thousands of views, and the money that goes with it, that he'll want to ensure his child future :)

Sure he pursue others projects, noticeably other feature films, but I can't see him dropping the priority of the monthly AVGN videos.

However put me in the group that didn't like the kind of "games" he recently featured. Hong Kong 97 is a demo/indie thing from the past, that merely no one played, and that hardly qualify as a game to begin with.

bjork

I don't think AVGN is something he planned on having go for so long. He's goofed on the character and still doing videos in his earlier episodes, and there's truth in things said in jest. That said, I still enjoy the episodes, but for me it isn't the writing quality or whatever that I miss. I miss when it was on shittier quality cameras. Not sure why.

Portugeezer

I don't think AVGN is something he planned on having go for so long. He's goofed on the character and still doing videos in his earlier episodes, and there's truth in things said in jest. That said, I still enjoy the episodes, but for me it isn't the writing quality or whatever that I miss. I miss when it was on shittier quality cameras. Not sure why.

Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't he once imply he wanted to end AVGN and do more movie based stuff?

But anyway, this Hong Kong 97 game... holy shit.

thefro

One of the better reviews they've done on their site for sure. They haven't done something before where they go "Internet, you think this sucks for reasons X, Y, Z. You're wrong and it's actually awesome". It's basically the polar opposite to the Castlevania 2 review.

James & Mike are obviously big fans and I loved watching reruns of the show too as a kid in the 1980s.

Fox Mulder

I did not notice anything different with AVGN personally. It's the same ole guy. The one thing I wish though is he really needs to transfer his creativity into newer current gen games to evolve.

I'm not interested in seeing him cover bottom of the barrel shit dug up by the internet. Hey, it's some shitty Chinese thing that's a game I guess. Neat.

There's plenty of real games to cover if he's out of stuff he's actually attached to. If the fans like it though, gotta make them happy.

TheYanger

I think it's crazy to say the quality is only worse. I'll keep watching them because even when there are videos I dislike (Crazy bus and Hong kong 97) he still makes classics from time to time too (Big rigs is probably one of his best videos of all time).

The problem I have with Hong Kong 97 or Big Rigs is... what do you say? There needs to be something interesting or at least a semi-competant game for the show to be interesting. It's why I stopped watching Spoony when he abandoned failed yet interesting game to focus on just really really really bad stuff. When you truly scrape the bottom of the barrel, there's nothing to say except "yup, this sucks".

The problem I have with Hong Kong 97 or Big Rigs is... what do you say? There needs to be something interesting or at least a semi-competant game for the show to be interesting. It's why I stopped watching Spoony when he abandoned failed yet interesting game to focus on just really really really bad stuff. When you truly scrape the bottom of the barrel, there's nothing to say except "yup, this sucks".

Yeah I don't get these odd knock offs or random PC games. I can't believe that through his childhood he hasn't played other NES games (or other formats) which he could do. I agree with stopping these requests from people and start doing these from past experience again. He's got a young kid, I appreciate that takes it out of you, of course it will. But look at the positives now moving forward, he wanted to do a BIG scale movie, he's done it. Look at the latest Board James video, it's the closest thing he's put out that resembles a classic nerd episode for years. The guy hasn't lost it.

btrboyev

Mike doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the building.

jett

D-Member

Naw man, that movie is straight caca, I forced myself to watch it to the end. Not even AVGN fandom saved it from a low rating on imdb.

Top Bottom