• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Plenty of bad SNES games still out there.
Pagemaster, Bebe's Kids, Captain Novolin, Revolution X, Ballz 3D

I just think Big Rigs and Hong Kong '97 are just not that interesting to discuss as games. They're shitty, yeah. But I find the most interesting episodes to be those about games that are games with a decent amount of substance. His console reviews are also some of my favorites.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yup, I dig console reviews, or at least ones with multiple games to talk about. The Tiger Electronics review is probably one of my favorite episodes lately.

I'm kind of surprised he hasn't talked more about the 3DO. I know he considers the SNES & especially the NES his "safe zone", but like I mentioned before, it might help if he tried to step out of it a few more times and tried some other systems.

Also yeah, while it's kind of amusing seeing reviews like Big Rigs on what feels like James' actual reaction to discovering the game but slightly "Nerdified", it feels like they're not as rewatchable because yeah, it doesn't feel like he has much to work it. Another favorite of mine, Action 52 (& the episode after that, Cheetahmen), feels much more rewatchable because there's so much to talk about.

Strange that my comment from several weeks ago is sparking this again.

Also yeah, while it's kind of amusing seeing reviews like Big Rigs on what feels like James' actual reaction to discovering the game but slightly "Nerdified", it feels like they're not as rewatchable because yeah, it doesn't feel like he has much to work it. Another favorite of mine, Action 52 (& the episode after that, Cheetahmen), feels much more rewatchable because there's so much to talk about.

I thought of Action 52 too, but the Big Rigs and Hong Kong 97 reviews felt like "What would happen if James only reviewed 1 random game in the Action 52 cart (excluding Cheetahmen). What'd you have is a one note thing being stretched out for an entire episode. Or, heck, I might even lump the Superman 64 review into this discussion.

(Also, I wish he would just cheat his way through some stuff to get to other parts of the game like with the Ghostbusters's episode. No shame in using Game Genie and Gameshark!)

(Also, I wish he would just cheat his way through some stuff to get to other parts of the game like with the Ghostbusters's episode. No shame in using Game Genie and Gameshark!)

Or even read the instruction manual. So many games of the Atari/8-bit/16-bit and even 32/64-bit days are so reliant on their instruction manuals. Learn the basic controls. I was watching the Dennis the Menace J&M Monday's video and they went on and on about how it sucked but there was a run button that would have solved a lot of their confusion.

These old games came with instruction manuals for a reason. They were essentially part of the game. Read them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
While I fully support the idea he should try reading the instruction manual (that's always the first thing I do when I buy a game), I wonder how many manuals he actually has to match the game. Plus I guess one could argue if you rented the game, there was a good chance you didn't get the manual as well. I remember renting Mario's Time Machine & Mario is Missing as a kid & had little idea what to do because I had no manual. Hell, I couldn't even get past the first screen in Mario's Time Machine..

While I fully support the idea he should try reading the instruction manual (that's always the first thing I do when I buy a game), I wonder how many manuals he actually has to match the game.
Considering he has tons of carts and not as many boxes, I imaging he doesn't have that many manuals, And when you rented games as a child, which a lot did back then because of prices, you sometimes didn't get a manual and had to figure it out on your own by pressing buttons, or just returning a too difficult game.

But, I also think there is a different standard between the James and Mike stuff and AVGN, which is why he usually complains about opaque controls, like the Batman grapple system, but then explains how it is done adding "how would anyone know how to do that!" The J&M stuff is then just popping in a game, goofing around, and that's it.

Ha, you edited while I was writing! The game rental thing is a big factor too.

Galdelico

The insanely stupid (SNES-fan) stuff they say about the Genesis in this video was so bad that I didn't even make it to halfway before closing the tab... they're both great consoles!

Haha, really. Maybe that's just the SEGA fan in me coming back from the dead, but... Wow, that was some serious

Kain

It was indeed embarrassing when they were talking about how all sports games are the same. I rolled my eyes more than once or twice xD

Petrae

It was indeed embarrassing when they were talking about how all sports games are the same. I rolled my eyes more than once or twice xD

James & Mike have zero interest in sports games, so they don't understand more subtle improvements when they're discussed. I was disappointed hearing what I heard, but it's ignorance more than anything else.

Hubble

As someone who enjoys their videos, I could not believe this and wanted to exit the window. It was pretty shameful and let alone damn ignorant. It's obvious every sports game is different and not 'the same'.

Lothar

Banned
I agree with everything they said about SNES vs Genesis. Sonic games could compete with Mario games. Phantasy Star 4 and Shining Force 2 could compete with Breath of Fire 2, Lufia 2, and Super Mario RPG. Streets of Rage could compete with Final Fight, Turtles in Time, and Battletoads with Battlemaniacs. But I don't think anything could could come close to competing with SNES's top tier of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Earthbound, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Zelda: LTTP, Donkey Kong Country 2. Hell I don't think Genesis could even compete with SNES's second tier of Mega Man X, Castlevania 4, Contra 3, Star Fox, and F-Zero.

I feel the same way about sports games and I enjoy playing sports games. I bought NBA 2K9 and played it all the time. I don't see any need to buy an updated version with different characters. I look at NBA 2k15 in the store and I think I already own that game with a different number on it.

Petrae

I feel the same way about sports games and I enjoy playing sports games. I bought NBA 2K9 and played it all the time. I don't see any need to buy an updated version with different characters. I look at NBA 2k15 in the store and I think I already own that game with a different number on it.

Sports game improvements, especially during the 16-bit era-- were often subtle and not involving graphics or audio face lifts.

The addition of one-timers in the NHL series was notable, then came playing full seasons, followed by creating your own players.

Madden gradually shifted from no-name teams and numbered player references to full-on NFL/NFLPA licensing. Presentation quality also improved as the years went on, including cross-promotion with FOX Sports.

If you look at sports games from a basic perspective, then sure... they're all the same. That's fine. But deeper analysis will show that each game has its own differences from the game that preceded it... even if the differences are gradual or incremental.

lazygecko

Ho boy. Outlets like AVGN and ScrewAttack are amazingly ignorant surrounding this stuff. I don't really hold it against them, it's just insanely annoying how this snowballs into becoming the general narrative online.

petran79

Banned
I agree with everything they said about SNES vs Genesis. Sonic games could compete with Mario games. Phantasy Star 4 and Shining Force 2 could compete with Breath of Fire 2, Lufia 2, and Super Mario RPG. Streets of Rage could compete with Final Fight, Turtles in Time, and Battletoads with Battlemaniacs. But I don't think anything could could come close to competing with SNES's top tier of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Earthbound, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Zelda: LTTP, Donkey Kong Country 2. Hell I don't think Genesis could even compete with SNES's second tier of Mega Man X, Castlevania 4, Contra 3, Star Fox, and F-Zero.

you missed some top contenders!

Castlevania Bloodlines on Genesis is far better and funier than Castlevania IV too
For racers there is Outrun and Super Hang-on
Shinobi series competes with top SNES action platformers. Return of the Ninja Master is one of the best games I played
Wonderboy series are another classic action platformer
Gunstar Heroes competes with Contra

Genesis had more arcade ports overall

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
you missed some top contenders!

Castlevania Bloodlines on Genesis is far better and funier than Castlevania IV too
For racers there is Outrun and Super Hang-on
Shinobi series competes with top SNES action platformers. Return of the Ninja Master is one of the best games I played
Wonderboy series are another classic action platformer
Gunstar Heroes competes with Contra

Genesis had more arcade ports overall

i can't believe i'm getting into this but

gunstar doesn't need to compete with contra 3, because contra hard corps destroys it

maharg

idspispopd
And you guys wonder why I think he should have kept the "Angry Nintendo Nerd" name. :p

I agree with the Angry Nintendo Nerd.

EWJ was a real good looking game for it's time, most of the assets are hand painted and scanned in.

But sometimes mike lives in his own retro bubble and quite often calls things wrong, eh.

As someone who enjoys their videos, I could not believe this and wanted to exit the window. It was pretty shameful and let alone damn ignorant. It's obvious every sports game is different and not 'the same'.

Have to absolutely agree with this. Huge fan of them and their site, but this 'discussion' was bordering on ridiculous. A lack of knowledge on a subject in which someone has little interest in is always forgivable and totally understandable, BUT this was utter nonsense. They do come across like the absolute worst kind of 'fanboys' at times. To be fair, it's not only Sega they've had a pop at now. I've seen them bashing the Wii U, PS3 and Xbox One regarding downloading updates if I remember rightly. To be honest, if you don't turn these consoles on for months at a time, it's no wonder there's a few updates to get.

Lothar

Banned
i can't believe i'm getting into this but

gunstar doesn't need to compete with contra 3, because contra hard corps destroys it

I found Hard Corps to be kind of unplayable. There's such a thing as too hard. Hard Corps proves it. Also the music in Contra 3 is awesome, some of the best of any action game. The music in Hard Corps is fart noises.

Olly88

I agree with them on the whole "top-tier" games and have thought the same for quite a while regarding the two systems, but their discussion about it in the video did seem to happen a little randomly :p

I don't mind though, it's the kind of thing that would get talked about between two people when playing games. I'd rather hear their random thoughts than strictly sticking to discussions about the one game they're playing and having it feeling more scripted.

only thing they said is that the genesis version sound better lol
.. What? They said that only the sports games make the Genesis even close to the SNES, that the SNES has far more great games, that the SNES is so much better, etc etc.

This kind of "this game is as good as that game" thing isn't always useful because no one's going to remember every good game, and also because systems don't need an answer to every game on another platform to match it. What you need are good games, period. If one platform has more good games in one genre and another platform has more good games in another genre, they can be equally great.

Also, I think that Sega CD and 32X games should absolutely count -- addons are a part of the console, pretty much. I'd count the Satellaview for the SNES as well, of course. My opinion is that the Genesis + Sega CD + 32X and the SNES (+ Satellaview games) are equally great, but SNES only v. Genesis only is probably a narrow win for the SNES.

That said, to try to answer this despite not actually needing equal games in every category (because of being better at other things) --

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Earthbound -- Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (SCD) is, on my list, the best JRPG of the generation. Lunar: The Silver Star (SCD) is also as good as those games.

Super Mario Kart - The Genesis doesn't have a kart racer as good as Mario Kart, but it's great at other kinds of racing games. I don't love Super Mario Kart, I like the SNES version of Street Racer more, but that's still a SNES game. I haven't played the Genesis Street Racer game though, it looks good but was Europe-only.

Super Metroid - Hmm... not sure about this one.

Zelda: LTTP - Landstalker, Crusader of Centy, and Beyond Oasis are all in Zelda: LttP's category, and all are great games. Landstalker is my favorite Genesis game in the genre. Great game! It may not be quite as great as LttP, but it's close; LttP is great, but I don't love LttP as much as some (LA is my favorite 2d Zelda game, not LttP).

Donkey Kong Country 2 - The Sonic games and Genesis Aladdin are as great as the first-party SNES platformers (SMW, DKC trilogy, Kirby). There are only two SNES Mario games versus 5 Genesis Sonic titles (counting Sonic 3D Blast, I do like the game) plus 1 on SCD (and 1 on 32X that isn't as good), so I think it's fair to compare Sonic to more than just Mario.

Mega Man X - They are more run & gun-styled than Mega Man is, but action-platformers are a major strength on the Genesis! Vectorman is a great classic. Vectorman 2 is also great, and Ranger-X as well. The Genesis also has three Turrican games (Turrican, Universal Soldier, and Mega Turrican), while the SNES has two (Super Turricans 1 and 2). The first Turrican isn't great, but the other four are. Super Turrican might be my favorite of all of them, but Universal Soldier and Mega Turrican are fantastic, fantastic games, among the best of their kind (Turrican is such an under-rated series!) Oh, and the three Genesis Shibobi games are also fantastic. My favorite one is Shadow Dancer, but the other two are pretty good as well. And what about something like Alisia Dragoon? There are lots more games in the "good but not great" category.

Castlevania 4 - I don't think that Bloodlines is anywhere near as good as SCIV, but it is a Castlevania game some people love. Maybe mention the Shinobi games here?

Contra 3 - The Adventures of Batman & Robin (Genesis version), Contra Hard Corps, and Gunstar Heroes are all easily better than Contra III. Also see the list above; stuff like Vectorman and the Turrican games are close to this subgenre as well. I love the Rolling Thunder series as well, and 2 and 3 are on Genesis. The SNES has some other good run & guns (Turrican, Rendering Ranger, etc.), but the Genesis clearly wins here.

Star Fox - SoulStar (SCD) and Shadow Squadron (32X) are both better than Star Fox. I know Shadow Squadron isn't a rail shooter, but it is a space flight combat game, so it has a thematic similarity. Or for rail shooters, Space Harrier (32X) is better than Star Fox for SNES as well. The Adventures of Batman & Robin (SCD) is also an amazing racing/rail shooter game. After Star Fox though, maybe the next best rail shooter on SNES is Hyper Zone, and that game is good but not great. I probably like G-LOC about as much as that game. :p

F-Zero - F-Zero is my favorite racing game of the 4th generation, so it shouldn't be on any "second-tier" list -- it's a far better game than Super Mario Kart as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, my favorite Genesis racer is Outrun 2019, which is also very, very good.

Some things you don't mention -- the Genesis has an overall better shmup library. My favorite shmup of the generation is a SNES game, Gradius III, and the Turbografx/Turbo CD have the best shmup library of the generation, but the Genesis(+CD+32X) do have a better library than the SNES, for sure. Lightening Force doesn't have a match on the SNES, or Silpheed (SCD), for instance. And Nintendo has the least Compile shmups too. Space Megaforce is amazing, but so are MUSHA (Genesis) and Robo Aleste (SCD).

Or how about sidescrolling action-RPGs? Popful Mail (SCD), Wonder Boy in Monster World, Monster World IV... do anything on SNES match those? If there are I don't have them, for sure (Ys III isn't even close, and it's on all platforms anyway).

Or space or flight combat games. Shadow Squadron (32X), Star Wars Arcade (32X), and SoulStar (SCD) are my top 3 in the genre that generation. And the Sega CD version of Wing Commander is better than the SNES version, the 32X version of Star Trek Starfleet Academy Starship Bridge Simulator is better than the SNES version, and ThunderStrike (SCD) is good as well.

And how about polygonal 3d racing games? Virtua Racing Deluxe (32X) absolutely wipes the floor with the not-that-good Stunt Race FX! Dirt Trax FX is better, but it's not as good as V.R..

Etc. etc. I'll stop here.

So sure, the SNES is better in some genres, but the Genesis and its addons are better in others. I can't decide which is better overall, they're equally great.

I don't particularly care about sports games, but the Genesis and its addons do have pretty good versions of probably my two favorite sports games ever, Hardball III (no, the SNES game of the same title is not the same game, that's an inferior port of Hardball '94 on the Genesis) and NBA Jam TE... I know NBA Jam is on SNES too, but the Genesis versions are better, and the 32X version of TE better yet.

RyudBoy

There are certain opinions that are factually wrong. This is one of them.

I think they're close enough, but overall I like the SNES version better. Genesis version sounds good but when the main part kicks in on some of the tracks, the instruments can barely be heard. Take New Junk City for example. On SNES, it almost sounds like a girl's voice doing the main part, but on Genesis it sounds very weak.

SNES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyUyMbl58U

Genesis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSIIJtqITs

I know almost everyone prefers the Genesis version and that's cool. I like it too, just not as much as SNES.

TheYanger

I think they're close enough, but overall I like the SNES version better. Genesis version sounds good but when the main part kicks in on some of the tracks, the instruments can barely be heard. Take New Junk City for example. On SNES, it almost sounds like a girl's voice doing the main part, but on Genesis it sounds very weak.

SNES - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyUyMbl58U

Genesis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMSIIJtqITs

I know almost everyone prefers the Genesis version and that's cool. I like it too, just not as much as SNES.

Those are pretty close. But most of the tracks are not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD3cmD9phaY sounds like complete mush compared to the sharp heavy hits of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa4Z7UpFA6o

Kain

After actually watching the video... jeez you guys are thin-skinned. This is bog-standard SNES vs Genny playground territory, and if you were a kid back then you should be old enough not to care this much. :p

The standard SNESvsGen discussion was nothing special and knowing them from way back it's obvious they like the SNES way better, that's OK. What's not OK is them saying "Why would I want to buy sports games when they are all the same?" "Sports are sports and the rules don't change, why would I want a new game every year with updated rosters?", and then they add the "One could say the same about Mario. But nooooo because fantasy and magic!"

Come on, son, if you don't know anything about sports or sports games don't embarrass yourself by badmouthing them.

That didn't stop me from enjoying the video, but the cringe was strong in this one.

Galdelico

After actually watching the video... jeez you guys are thin-skinned. This is bog-standard SNES vs Genny playground territory, and if you were a kid back then you should be old enough not to care this much. :p

I don't think this is the case. No one is jumping to each other's neck or trying to revive the war here (not yet at least :p).
It's more like pointing out the cringy nature of a nonsensical discussion, which is made even more odd by the fact that these two guys can sit down and pull off some of the most comprehensive reviews/retrospectives/game-related talks I've ever listened to on YouTube.
It's like... Really? Did they actually say THAT for real? XD

And to be specific, I agree on the whole 'unparalleled top tier SNES games' thing, I think it's quite factual. That said, how can you state that without mentioning - I dunno - the huge shmup library on the MD? Treasure? All the later, lesser known technical showpieces such as Red Zone or Vectorman? Hearing them saying that Earthworm Jim was the Megadrive's pinnacle - when it's even debatable that it is the best version of the game - was pretty hilarious. :)

Lothar

Banned
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Earthbound -- Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (SCD) is, on my list, the best JRPG of the generation. Lunar: The Silver Star (SCD) is also as good as those games.

I was never a Lunar fan. (Only played the PSX versions) Lunar's battles are very slow, intolerably repetitive, and numerous. Dungeons in Lunar are among the most annoying I've encountered in a RPG. The story is okay, nothing special, about Saturday Morning anime quality. A lot of it was horrifically cheesy. There's some charm though and it was good for some laughs. (However I'm not sure how many of those laughs were intentional. We were supposed to laugh at the singing sequences, right?) Super Mario RPG has charm and makes you laugh too but it's gameplay is actually good, so I would put SMRPG above Lunar and still SMRPG is far beneath Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Earthbound. SMRPG is just a fun little game, those three are masterpieces.

Zelda: LTTP - Landstalker, Crusader of Centy, and Beyond Oasis are all in Zelda: LttP's category, and all are great games. Landstalker is my favorite Genesis game in the genre. Great game! It may not be quite as great as LttP, but it's close; LttP is great, but I don't love LttP as much as some (LA is my favorite 2d Zelda game, not LttP).

I'll write these names down (and all the others you mentioned in your post) and give them another try one day. It's been about 20 years since I played Landstalker and Beyond Oasis. I remember them being fine but on the Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia level, not really anywhere near Secret of Mana or Zelda.

Donkey Kong Country 2 - The Sonic games and Genesis Aladdin are as great as the first-party SNES platformers (SMW, DKC trilogy, Kirby). There are only two SNES Mario games versus 5 Genesis Sonic titles (counting Sonic 3D Blast, I do like the game) plus 1 on SCD (and 1 on 32X that isn't as good), so I think it's fair to compare Sonic to more than just Mario.

By comparing genres like I was doing, I was saying the Genesis has answers for this good tier of SNES games, but I don't believe they have any answers for this great tier of SNES games. Sonic games are good and a good match against Mario, but for DKC2, there is no match. DKC2 is in the outstanding tier. As for as Sonic being good and DKC2 being outstanding, well it's just opinions, but I see DKC2 as being in a different stratosphere with visuals, music, and sound quality. There's nothing close in Sonic to the atmosphere of the misty forest stage, the lava stages, Bramble Blast, K Rool's Castle, the Hornet Hole, etc... It kills both Sonic and Mario in variety of gameplay like the animal rides, mine carts, barrel stages, and the hundreds of bonus stages that made it all feel the most constantly fresh and exciting of the 2D platformers. It's easily much more of a 2 player game than Sonic.

F-Zero - F-Zero is my favorite racing game of the 4th generation, so it shouldn't be on any "second-tier" list -- it's a far better game than Super Mario Kart as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, my favorite Genesis racer is Outrun 2019, which is also very, very good.

Unfortunately, F-Zero didn't have a 2 player mode or a battle mode. I love F-Zero's one player but I probably spent 1/100th of the time playing that as I got out of Mario Kart's battle mode. Mario Kart is on top of my list for 2 player fun for SNES/Genesis. That's why it's in my top tier. I think any poll done of SNES/Genesis multiplayer would have Mario Kart at the top running away with the vote.

Some things you don't mention -- the Genesis has an overall better shmup library. My favorite shmup of the generation is a SNES game, Gradius III, and the Turbografx/Turbo CD have the best shmup library of the generation, but the Genesis(+CD+32X) do have a better library than the SNES, for sure. Lightening Force doesn't have a match on the SNES, or Silpheed (SCD), for instance. And Nintendo has the least Compile shmups too. Space Megaforce is amazing, but so are MUSHA (Genesis) and Robo Aleste (SCD).

I didn't mention it because Gradius 3 is my favorite shmup too and that's so far beneath the top tier, I didn't think it was worth mentioning. Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, and DKC2 go beyond being just plain fun. They give you atmospheric experiences and the best vg soundtracks you'll ever hear along with the fun.

The insanely stupid (SNES-fan) stuff they say about the Genesis in this video was so bad that I didn't even make it to halfway before closing the tab... they're both great consoles!

I somewhat agree with that. I am a big fan of both consoles as each one offers something different that the other one doesn't. But at the same time their criticism doesn't really bother me.

Also, James and Mike plays Double Dragon for the Neo Geo CD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Grs3wV_NM

This isn't the first time that they complained about short controller cables for a game console. James also did the same for his Famicom review. I guess it is the difference between Japanese living rooms and western ones.

Dereck

I stubbornly ended up buying extension cables for just about every console released before 2003 with the exception of the XBOX. My cable length requirements have increased over the years especially after being spoiled by Microsoft consoles and consoles with wireless controllers.

shanafan

Also, James and Mike plays Double Dragon for the Neo Geo CD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Grs3wV_NM

This isn't the first time that they complained about short controller cables for a game console. James also did the same for his Famicom review. I guess it is the difference between Japanese living rooms and western ones.

So glad they just called it the Neo Geo. I often watch videos on other channels where the YouTuber keeps saying "Neo Geo AES". It's like, yeah I get it, it's the Neo Geo. You don't need the AES every single time you say it ;)

Prime example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fkkKpk5wQ

I was never a Lunar fan. (Only played the PSX versions) Lunar's battles are very slow, intolerably repetitive, and numerous. Dungeons in Lunar are among the most annoying I've encountered in a RPG. The story is okay, nothing special, about Saturday Morning anime quality. A lot of it was horrifically cheesy. There's some charm though and it was good for some laughs. (However I'm not sure how many of those laughs were intentional. We were supposed to laugh at the singing sequences, right?) Super Mario RPG has charm and makes you laugh too but it's gameplay is actually good, so I would put SMRPG above Lunar and still SMRPG is far beneath Chrono Trigger, FF6, and Earthbound. SMRPG is just a fun little game, those three are masterpieces.
Well, I've never been a Final Fantasy fan. I like Lunar's charm, its great battle system that I like far more than any of the FF battle systems of the time, the graphics, etc. But also, as I said, I like Lunar 2 a lot more than the first one. Lunar 2 has a more complex, deep story than the first one, so if that's one of your issues with the game, the second game fixes that issue. It doesn't sound like you have played Lunar 2.
'
Oh, and as for random battles, the Lunar games are better there because they require far less grinding than most any Square game!

As for those SNES games, Earthbound has never interested me enough for me to want to play it; FF6 I tried once but lost interest in a few hours and never went back; and Chrono Trigger is better, but I never did get that deep into it. Lunars 1 and 2 I played more, because I like them more. I'm not a big fan of 3rd/4th-gen JRPGs in general though, I rarely find that they hold my interest for as long as the games last.

I'll write these names down (and all the others you mentioned in your post) and give them another try one day. It's been about 20 years since I played Landstalker and Beyond Oasis. I remember them being fine but on the Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia level, not really anywhere near Secret of Mana or Zelda.
Illusion of Gaia is actually probably my favorite SNES game in the genre; it's a great game, I really, really loved it. Aws for the Genesis games, Landstalker takes time to get used to because of its confusing isometric perspective. Give it time, it eventually makes sense. Beyond Oasis is good, but a bit short; it's kind of like a Zelda-style game with more beat 'em up elements in its combat. And Crusader of Centy is, graphically, an obvious LttP knockoff, though the story is quite original, as are some gameplay elements.

By comparing genres like I was doing, I was saying the Genesis has answers for this good tier of SNES games, but I don't believe they have any answers for this great tier of SNES games.
And by pointing out genres where the Genesis has better games I was saying that this doesn't matter as much as you think, on an objective level.

Sonic games are good and a good match against Mario, but for DKC2, there is no match. DKC2 is in the outstanding tier. As for as Sonic being good and DKC2 being outstanding, well it's just opinions, but I see DKC2 as being in a different stratosphere with visuals, music, and sound quality. There's nothing close in Sonic to the atmosphere of the misty forest stage, the lava stages, Bramble Blast, K Rool's Castle, the Hornet Hole, etc... It kills both Sonic and Mario in variety of gameplay like the animal rides, mine carts, barrel stages, and the hundreds of bonus stages that made it all feel the most constantly fresh and exciting of the 2D platformers. It's easily much more of a 2 player game than Sonic.
Again, there are only 2 SNES Mario games, vs. 5 Genesis Sonic games. The SNES has as many DKC and Mario platformers combined as the Genesis has Sonic platformers.

Beyond that, DKC3 is my favorite DKC game, not 2; both games are fantastic though, certainly. I like the DKC series a lot as well, they're fantastic games. But I also like the Mario and Sonic games quite a bit as well. It's hard to choose a favorite, but Mario World is probably my favorite, followed by Sonic 3 & Knuckles... but DKC3's very close to that. As for what you say about atmosphere and such though, yeah, the DKC games do have a fantastic sense of atmosphere. What matters the most is gameplay, though, and all of these games have really great gameplay. S3&K has variety too, of course, with the stuff to find, the Blue Spheres bonus game, etc. The original Sonic the Hedgehog has some as well, with the slower-paced levels in the middle, etc. The original Sonic definitely isn't the best one, but it's still a very special game.

But anyway, between Sonic, Mario, and DKC that generation, I think it really is just opinion.

Unfortunately, F-Zero didn't have a 2 player mode or a battle mode. I love F-Zero's one player but I probably spent 1/100th of the time playing that as I got out of Mario Kart's battle mode. Mario Kart is on top of my list for 2 player fun for SNES/Genesis. That's why it's in my top tier. I think any poll done of SNES/Genesis multiplayer would have Mario Kart at the top running away with the vote.
I didn't have a SNES during the system,'s active life, so this didn't matter to me; I got a SNES in '05, and was disappointed by SMK because of its not-great controls. I've probably played it multiplayer sometime, but for classic Mario Kart I'd far rather play MK64; that's the one I love, along with the newer games.

When I got my SNES in '05, two of the first games I got were Super Mario Kart and Top Gear. I was pretty surprised that I ended up liking Top Gear more than SMK, but I did. While F-Zero... I'm a big fan of futuristic racing games, but hadn't played the first F-Zero much before the mid '90s. I was really impressed! Amazing game.

I didn't mention it because Gradius 3 is my favorite shmup too and that's so far beneath the top tier, I didn't think it was worth mentioning. Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, and DKC2 go beyond being just plain fun. They give you atmospheric experiences and the best vg soundtracks you'll ever hear along with the fun.
So anything which isn't exactly the kind of game the SNES does best is inferior and shouldn't be put on the same tier as the top SNES games? That may be your opinion, but it is entirely opinion, there's nothing objective there. The arcade sensibilities of great shmups make them extremely replayable, for instance. Personally. I'd far rather play a 4th-gen shmup than a 4th-gen JRPG -- that is my favorite era for shmups, but definitely not RPGs. Most 4th-gen RPGs just don't have much depth, there's too much simplistic repetition and not enough strategy or thought required. I like some of them, but shmups or platformers (or action-RPGs/Zelda-style games) are better on my list. Now, I'm, sure it's possible to make some kind of way of finding which games are objectively the best, and because the SNES sold the most systems worldwide and had a dominating win in Japan I'm sure it'd have a lot of the games with the biggest budgets and highest production values, but the other systems have great games as well, and which kinds of games someone likes will have a HUGE impact on which platform you like the most. Something like Gradius II (TCD), Gradius III (SNES), or Lightening Force (GEN)? I think they're amazing games, much more fun to play for me than most any RPG that generation. And they've got plenty of atmosphere as well.

Oh, and as far as soundtracks go, SNES soundtracks are often fantastic, and the DKC games definitely have incredible soundtracks I really like. However, I like techno music as well as classical, so one of my most-played soundtracks is Adventures of Batman & Robin for the Genesis. It's a great game, probably my top pick for technical achievement in graphics and sound on the Genesis (in gameplay Contra Hard Corps edges it out, though.). I've probably listened to the Adventures of Batman & Robin Genesis soundtrack more than any SNES game soundtrack, though some Turbo CD games are up there too -- Nexzr, Sapphire, some others. Bio Hazard Battle (Genesis) has a REALLY incredible soundtrack as well. The two Sega CD Ecco games also need to be mentioned for their amazing atmospheric soundtracks. I love those!

Comparing the SNES to the Genesis is like comparing your right hand to your left hand. Sure, you can prefer one over the other but you wouldn't want to be without either. At least that's how I look at it.

ElTopo

Banned
I prefer the Genesis but I'm not into RPG's at all so that's definitely a factor.

If you want to see the differences between the SNES and Genesis just look at Out of This World (AKA Another World) on both systems:

SNES version has amazing music and sound effects and is little bit brighter. BUT, there's some horrible slowdown that will cause you to get killed.

Genesis version has slightly worse music and some bad sound effects. BUT, no slowdown whatsoever.

Top Bottom