• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Mike doesn't strike me as the brightest bulb in the building.

Yeah, I've tried to give the guy a break and have definitely warmed to him over the past year or so. But turning on all those machines at the same time just for no reason other than to prove he could was probably as dangerous as it was pointless. You can only play one at a time so just show one at a time? Why all on at once? Lol the more I think about it, the more I cringe. His power supplier must do all they can to keep him, fucking jackpot.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Am I the only one that loves AVGN( and James in general) but couldn't stand the avgn movie? I couldn't even finish it last night

Eh, I feel like the AVGN movie did everything it set out to do. It was pretty much everything I expected it to be. Intentionally cheesy and cheap. It was pretty much an extended version of what James liked to do in his AVGN videos when he wasn't reviewing a game. The only thing in the movie I actually hated was Cooper.

Fox Mulder

Yeah, I've tried to give the guy a break and have definitely warmed to him over the past year or so. But turning on all those machines at the same time just for no reason other than to prove he could was probably as dangerous as it was pointless. You can only play one at a time so just show one at a time? Why all on at once? Lol the more I think about it, the more I cringe. His power supplier must do all they can to keep him, fucking jackpot.

I dont even get the appeal of having that many hooked up at once. All my retro consoles are accessible if I want to hook them up in a few minutes.

Like 90% of the angry/internet reviewers that sprouted up on the internet within the first 2-3 years of the AVGN becoming big.

Exactly!

However, to be fair every once in a while, one of those emulators becomes something worthwhile in his own right.

Take for example, Angry Joe.

ElTopo

Banned
It's pretty amazing when you realize how James created the whole internet reviewing show genre. Before that, a critic would just review whatever and maybe have a few passing jokes (ala Joe Bob Briggs) or have some critical insight. But when James did his shit, the review became a sketch in and of itself and became a product of its own.

Komo

Banned
Irate gamer? I haven't heard that name in forever, hah. Never liked his stuff much. It was very obvious he was a copycat

It's a shame, because he could've really gone places back in the mid-late 2000s if he'd done something original, because his production quality and personality isn't so bad, and would have been fitting for the time

antitrop

Am I the only one that loves AVGN( and James in general) but couldn't stand the avgn movie? I couldn't even finish it last night

As a huge AVGN fan, I was incredibly let down to find it one of the absolute worst films I have ever had the misfortune of wasting my time with. I think I only finished it out of morbid curiosity. Every joke and reference fell flat, for me. I know he was making the B-moviest B movie that he possibly could, but The Toxic Avenger this was not.

Didn't regret the purchase, though, because I was more than happy to support the Nerd.

ElTopo

Banned
Irate gamer? I haven't heard that name in forever, hah. Never liked his stuff much. It was very obvious he was a copycat

It's a shame, because he could've really gone places back in the mid-late 2000s if he'd done something original, because his production quality and personality isn't so bad, and would have been fitting for the time

Please. The man called X-men Origins: Wolverine "All that and a bag of chips." And he wasn't being ironic either.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I miss this angry reviewer

0064_qaev.gif

0065_ub7b.gif

Can't place the name. I know he deleted all of his videos after people started making fun of him.

antitrop

I miss this angry reviewer

Can't place the name. I know he deleted all of his videos after people started making fun of him.

Isn't that The Frogman?

EDIT: Nevermind, The Frogman wasn't balding. Can't keep all these overweight internet comedians straight.

woopWOOP

I don't think AVGN is something he planned on having go for so long. He's goofed on the character and still doing videos in his earlier episodes, and there's truth in things said in jest. That said, I still enjoy the episodes, but for me it isn't the writing quality or whatever that I miss. I miss when it was on shittier quality cameras. Not sure why.
I kinda feel the same way and I'm not sure why either. The angry outbursts were always faked, but with the better sound and camera quality they just seem... faker now? The "so bad I can't stop laughing" bits in Big Rigs and the latest Hong Kong '97 one were pretty cringey too.

Some of the 12 days of shitmas episodes were still pretty great though, so I guess it's just hit and miss.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Please. The man called X-men Origins: Wolverine "All that and a bag of chips." And he wasn't being ironic either.

I remember when RedLetterMedia made fun of that. From what I heard, he didn't actually see the theatrical movie, but the leaked workprint. Though his review was so vague that it's hard to tell.
He has terrible taste in movies. Hell, he was excited for Dragonball Evolution.

aha!
PissedOffVideoGamer
https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=

Stuff is hilarious. Shitcube review is top notch.

THIS. LOOKS LIKE. A FUCKING. CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE!

The problem I have with Hong Kong 97 or Big Rigs is... what do you say? There needs to be something interesting or at least a semi-competant game for the show to be interesting. It's why I stopped watching Spoony when he abandoned failed yet interesting game to focus on just really really really bad stuff. When you truly scrape the bottom of the barrel, there's nothing to say except "yup, this sucks".

I dunno man VCR Golf might be the worst board game ever invented by a human, but was Spoony's funniest video ever

ElTopo

Banned
I just want James to review Raid 2020. He teased a review of that years ago. I actually had that game as a kid (the only bootleg NES game I owned and I got it as a gift) HORRIBLE game. And also a very glitchy game.

Hermii

The original Dr Jekyll and mr hyde video is still my favourite episode. The earlier episode has a sense of realism like you can almost believe this is a real person still bitter about the shitty games he paid a fortune for back in the day. The passion he hates those games with feeels more realistic-

Timu

I just beat that game recently and I love it, it's one of my fav NES games and maybe my fav TMNT NES game.

But man, they didn't get far at all in the game, I mean, using a continue on the 2nd stage???

I just beat that game recently and I love it, it's one of my fav NES games and maybe my fav TMNT NES game.

But man, they didn't get far at all in the game, I mean, using a continue on the 2nd stage???
I just played it a few months ago for the first time in years and I was surprised with the difficulty compared to Tmnt2. I also forgot about how flickery it was.

Timu

I just played it a few months ago for the first time in years and I was surprised with the difficulty compared to Tmnt2. I also forgot about how flickery it was.
It's actually easier once you get used to it, in fact you don't need to rely on specials unlike TMNT2 where specials are essential to beating enemies and bosses faster.

Cubed

This is why I still follow the guy: James & Mike Mondays, Board James, and Monster Madness.

Haven't really felt his AVGN shtick for about 2 years now, though I still love the random episode here and there. Still, it's his other characters/videos that really keep me coming back.

This MK X video was quite entertaining.

TheContact

I still like AVGN, even with his recent episodes.

Also, Irate Gamer is pretty lame IMO.

When the irate gamer came out he plagiarized avgn hard. He admitted the avgn was his inspiration which is fine but he literally copied word for word jokes that avgn used. He's also not funny and only does it for the money whereas James started just as a fun side project. There was a YouTube war between them two and somehow the irate gamer got YouTube partnership and James didn't. They don't like each other still. I literally can't stand the irate gamers personality. But if other people like him that's fine as long as they're being entertained. I just don't like him mostly BC of the plagarism.

BatDan

James & Mike Mondays: Yoshi (Featuring Doug Walker)

I don't understand the complaints about Doug being "loud". He seems fine to me.

When the irate gamer came out he plagiarized avgn hard. He admitted the avgn was his inspiration which is fine but he literally copied word for word jokes that avgn used. He's also not funny and only does it for the money whereas James started just as a fun side project. There was a YouTube war between them two and somehow the irate gamer got YouTube partnership and James didn't. They don't like each other still. I literally can't stand the irate gamers personality. But if other people like him that's fine as long as they're being entertained. I just don't like him mostly BC of the plagarism.

It's not just that Irate Gamer copies him, it's that when he tries to be original, he clearly has no clue what he's talking about, and often complains about things that are commonplace in games.
Like when he talked about Power Rangers on Sega Genesis, and complained that all you do is fight. ... In a fighting game.
He's also extremely hypocritical. He'll complain about games being too hard (including Resident Evil 5... seriously) but then immediately complains when something is too easy (Kirby's Epic Yarn).
Or when he reviewed Sonic Unleashed (after only playing an hour of it) and demanded Sega go "back to the basics". Come Sonic 4, and he complains it's "not new enough".
He's absolutely clueless about most games, and only has a new audience because of a video where he cried crocodile tears about how James was oppressing him. Despite providing no evidence to this.

Oh, and there's the time he reviewed Tekken 6 without knowing it was a fighting game, and judged it on the scenario mode only (and complained about people speaking Japanese for some reason). And the time he praised Ninja Gaiden 3 for being a "mindless hack and slash" and not understanding why the reviews were negative (even though that's EXACTLY WHY the reviews were negative).

BatDan

Board James has definitely taken an interesting direction.

Yeah seems obvious Ouija is the next episode. It will likely be better than that fucking movie they made last year.

haha D: :O
i loved that choose your own ending choice

So next episode should be the
Ouija Board
, right?

would be funny if he went with the game below it, TRUMP, ask trump who killed them , better twist than M.Night shamlalalala

tornado rex is still best board james episode, it had the introduction of bad luck bootsie and best song towards the end B^)

Sakujou

Banned
And, this just adds to my general thesis that FANS RUIN EVERYTHING.

this.

big rigs and hong kong 97 were bad games NOT for old systems.

the nerd should only stick to the systems from the 80ies.
there are plenty of old games, testing shitty pc games or some bad homebrew shit leaves a bad taste.

it shows me, that fans of the nerd do not know why the nerd is so good.

this.

the nerd should only stick to the systems from the 80ies.
there are plenty of old games, testing shitty pc games or some bad homebrew shit leaves a bad taste.

it shows me, that fans of the nerd do not know why the nerd is so good.

Agree, if a modern game is old it should be left until last, still a rather good selection of trash for the nes, snes, sms, megadrive, atari, gameboy and a host of other retro consoles.

I think james burned out big time on the nerd not just from the movie but trying to be the nerd, that along with their let's plays getting thousands of views for ad revenue it's why they do that stuff now instead.

shanafan

My grip from the newest Board James was
Bootsy's voice as one of the cards wasn't that great. I knew they were going for an effect of the card speaking like it was a voice in the back of a room, but it was too faint and could have been done better.

Oh well.

BatDan

My grip from the newest Board James was
Bootsy's voice as one of the cards wasn't that great. I knew they were going for an effect of the card speaking like it was a voice in the back of a room, but it was too faint and could have been done better.

Oh well.

That wasn't Bootsy, that was Kevin Finn (according to the description)

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
And again, Board James is far more superior than any AVGN Episode in months.

Probably because he has fun making them (it seems) and there's more material to work with. He's not limited to the Nerd shtick either since Board James isn't as defined a character as he is. He can pretty much do what he wants.

Elija2

Technically Hong Kong 97 was on the SNES which is an old system.

Also, the time between the release of the SNES and 2006 (the year AVGN started) is the same as the time between the release of the PS2 and now (15 years). PS2, Xbox, and GameCube are officially retro.

And honestly, I wouldn't mind if he started reviewing newer games (PS2 gen at the latest). He's running out of bad interesting NES/SNES games to review (keyword is interesting).

Timu

And honestly, I wouldn't mind if he started reviewing newer games (PS2 gen at the latest). He's running out of bad interesting NES/SNES games to review (keyword is interesting).
Nah, there's still a lot of bad interesting NES/SNES games he can do, surprised he never did Rise of the Robots.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At the very least, he could expand to N64 &/or PS1 games since those are barely talked about. Maybe do more Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Saturn, Game Boy/Color, etc. if he doesn't want to jump to the PS2/Xbox/GCN era yet.

Hell, I bet he could do another, say, Simpsons episode because there's still a good amount from the SNES/GB/PS1 eras. Simpsons Wrestling, Bart Meets Radioactive Man, Virtual Bart, Bart's Nightmare, etc.

Top Bottom