• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hey, alright, TurboGrafx-16. A good example of a system he doesn't usually cover. Edit: Even the video description mentions this: "This is the first time the Nerd has done an ENTIRE EPISODE dedicated to a game for the TG16 (the original card-based console)"

I'm sure we'll hear how it's nothing like the NES version which I'm told was good, considering it was Capcom/Disney.

Glowsquid

"There's no major stinkers that sticks out" someone hasn't heard of Deep Blue : p.

I wonder if he's trying to say something with the "those games don't have enough material" part.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The one big complaint I have about AVGN (Or Cinemassacre in general) is that he doesn't capture the game footage at 60 FPS.

Edit: Also god damn does the NeoGeo look like a badass console to own. Mad jealous of anyone who's hunted one of those badboys down.

Darkwing Duck felt pretty forced...bad hit detection, drops an anvil on you. alright.

I just watched the hong kong 97 episode for the first time after it and that hit the avgn spot.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The shit scale huh. That's going to get some use.

The one big complaint I have about AVGN (Or Cinemassacre in general) is that he doesn't capture the game footage at 60 FPS.

Edit: Also god damn does the NeoGeo look like a badass console to own. Mad jealous of anyone who's hunted one of those badboys down.

James has spent YEARS recording in 29.7 for YouTube as that's been the standard. 60 FPS on YouTube is a new thing.

I played this game. Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me. The sad part was that I always wanted to play this as a huge Darkwing Duck fan. I own the NES game, but never owned a Turbo. I knew the game existed cause I've seen screen shot of it. Boy was I disappointed when I finally got to play it. Funny thing is, I never figured out you can jump on people until much much much later.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did James ever use that Neo-Geo cart on a scale footage anyway?
From the intro? Nah, not that I can think of. Only time I recall he brings up a Neo-Geo cart's size is in the....Plumbers Don't Wear Ties review, I think? He mentions how the packaging for the 3DO games were just huge & while the same can be said for Neo-Geo games, those had the excuse of having huge cartridges.

btrboyev

Tired of his format...it's not as good as it once was. Also James and Mike is usually painful to watch unless they have a guest spot. Mike especially spews so much shit out of his mouth.

Tired of his format...it's not as good as it once was. Also James and Mike is usually painful to watch unless they have a guest spot. Mike especially spews so much shit out of his mouth.

I feel the opposite I dislike his Friendz episodes. Especially the ones with Pat and the guy with the hat, just because i find them annoying, Mike and Ryan are ok though.

I feel the opposite I dislike his Friendz episodes. Especially the ones with Pat and the guy with the hat, just because i find them annoying, Mike and Ryan are ok though.

I always thought Bootsy (the guy with the hat) was pretty cool because he is clearly the most skilled player of them all, and has managed to complete games that were thought to be impossible by James.

I always thought Bootsy (the guy with the hat) was pretty cool because he is clearly the most skilled player of them all, and has managed to complete games that were thought to be impossible by James.

I think because he's always annoying in Board James but maybe that's just the character, the Silver Surfer video was alright. I would like to see James do a twitch stream to change it up a bit, but I would just like to see more Nerd videos overall.

Jimca2

Neo Member
I found this episode to be a definite return to form. Probably the best one since Schwarzenegger Games in terms of energy and "anger".

I do wish he would stop making his trademark "AVGN-face" at every possibility though, it feels forced and realy weird.

woopWOOP

Yeah, this was a fun episode. Ofcourse that game gets it's own shit scale category :p

The safe part brought me back to the days of playing Battery Check, a free 2D platformer game from some magazine where you collect batteries. In that game your health slowly gets drained, which wouldn't be a big issue except that you can't pause your game. There were small areas that recharged your health that you could idle in if you had to pick up the phone or wanted to take a quick piss... only for the character to do a moonwalk 'idle' animation right out of the charge station and kill himself. What a frustrating game.

This, but the complete opposite.

I think out of every "reviewer" he's the one that I can still watch, and I have enjoyed some guests but mostly look forward to just the two of them. The banter between just the two of them always makes me crack a smile.

Yeah, I liked this one - it's refreshing to have a normal bad game on the show, rather than a worst-of-the-worst. He should do more Turbografx games.

Who the hell is a Dark Wingged Duck? What the hell is a turbo graphics? This old man needs to start playing some classic games like Deadly Premonition and other classic Xbox 360 games from my childhood. I guess if he wants to go old school he can play Ninjabread Man.

Wow, such a shame since the NES version is a real fun ripoff of Mega Man. Also, is there something wrong with the audio sync in this episode? It doesn't seem like it is coming from his mouth. Lastly, it's strange and good how he is incorporating criticism and concerns from previous videos in this review. This was a simple, fun review on par with Dragon's Lair.

I think because he's always annoying in Board James but maybe that's just the character, the Silver Surfer video was alright. I would like to see James do a twitch stream to change it up a bit, but I would just like to see more Nerd videos overall.

Well at least his character Bad Luck Bootsy is dead in Board James, along with Motherfucker Mike.

This was a good episode, but I do like it more when he covers more of a game; here he gives up a few levels in. I mean, that's an understandable reaction to a game with controls as broken as Darkwing Duck's are, but still.

As for the game, it's too bad that the controls are so bad, both in delay and in the really frustrating jump timing (did you land on them correctly, or not), because the game has pretty good graphics for the system. It could have been a decent game, but instead, it's widely regarded as one of the worst US TG16 HuCard releases, right down there with stuff like Deep Blue, Falcon, Gunboat, and Yo'Bro.

rjc571

Banned
Pretty weak review. Took almost 5 minutes for him to even get to the game and then he spent another 2 minutes trying to get the D at the start of the game. His complaints about the hit detection seemed valid but he also kept trying to do certain things that he should have figured out weren't working, like trying to jump on the boss while it was rolling. And then he gave up after the anvil dropped on him (which was admittedly pretty damn funny). Not his best effort.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The shit scale huh. That's going to get some use.

James has spent YEARS recording in 29.7 for YouTube as that's been the standard. 60 FPS on YouTube is a new thing.

I've been watching him for years. I know it's always been 30, doesn't mean he can't try to capture the game footage at 60 though.

Dereck

Didn't care for this review much.
Who the hell is a Dark Wingged Duck? What the hell is a turbo graphics? This old man needs to start playing some classic games like Deadly Premonition and other classic Xbox 360 games from my childhood. I guess if he wants to go old school he can play Ninjabread Man.
You're joking but I was gonna say that I would like to see him tackle some bad games from the previous generation.

Balb

You're joking but I was gonna say that I would like to see him tackle some bad games from the previous generation.

He's not really well-versed in modern games. I think it'd be frustrating for a lot of people to watch him play most modern 3D games.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

He should move up to PS1, Saturn and N64 at the most. The gen after this he can start tackling some PS2 era stuff and so on.

jett

D-Member
The anvil was funny.

The rest was not. I think I like James and Mike's weekly gameplay videos more now than the show.

Timu

I liked it but it's far from his best.
He should move up to PS1, Saturn and N64 at the most. The gen after this he can start tackling some PS2 era stuff and so on.
He can, but he needs to do Rise of the Robots and Heavy Nova as well.

The TMNT one is awesome. Just wondering has anyone ever actually beaten the game?

I managed to finish it once but both my older brothers were still at school and to this day do not believe me.

Edit: whoa....really gotta start paying attention to those first page post dates.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
That was one of the better episodes in recent memory. Really well done. And he started it off with the "lets get dangerous". Perfect.

maharg

idspispopd
I played this game. Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me. The sad part was that I always wanted to play this as a huge Darkwing Duck fan. I own the NES game, but never owned a Turbo. I knew the game existed cause I've seen screen shot of it. Boy was I disappointed when I finally got to play it. Funny thing is, I never figured out you can jump on people until much much much later.

Looking at a speedrun it looks like you can bounce jump off basically anything you can collect as well, if you hit it right. Which is probably how you're supposed to get that D at the start of the video. Also seems to be pretty important for navigating some parts of the game, but that could just be speedrun showing off.

A good episode, I liked the segment in the beginning where he went through a bunch of games that were bad, but not interesting enough. Probably close to reality, it must be difficult to find new games to talk about at this point.

shanafan

A good episode, I liked the segment in the beginning where he went through a bunch of games that were bad, but not interesting enough. Probably close to reality, it must be difficult to find new games to talk about at this point.

I think there are still plenty of games that AVGN can cover, without stepping into anything from PS2 on. This was the first time he covered a Turbograpx 16 game, imagine what other possibilities lie in that generation? ;)

I think there are still plenty of games that AVGN can cover, without stepping into anything from PS2 on. This was the first time he covered a Turbograpx 16 game, imagine what other possibilities lie in that generation? ;)

Oh yeah, I was thinking in terms of 8 and 16 bit games, but of course in newer games there tons of possibilities. PS1 especially had lots of weird stuff...

Top Bottom