• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

TheYanger

The first 2 videos were filmed in 2004 but they didn't exist on the internet until 2006, when he started making more videos for the public. for all intents and purposes, the AVGN is 10 years old this year yeah.
(I don't even think they were called the angry nintendo nerd until the 2006 ones, so it still works).

maharg

idspispopd
Wiki says they were on cinemassecre.com in 2004, but Youtube in 2006 (and that's when they got popular). This thread on it was started August 2006.

Angry Nintendo Nerd -> Angry Video Game Nerd was in 2007. I still think the old name was better. :p

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I remember first starting to watch the videos in the summer of 2008 I think it was. At about the same time, I got my Nes from the attic, bought a Snes, Mega Drive and N64, and after that, Ive been all into retro and completely lost interest in modern stuff (well, outside of Nintendo which is still a very retro company). Dont know if it has to do with AVGN or if it was my general rediscovery of retro gaming that made me like him though.

-KRS-

The first 2 videos were filmed in 2004 but they didn't exist on the internet until 2006, when he started making more videos for the public. for all intents and purposes, the AVGN is 10 years old this year yeah.
(I don't even think they were called the angry nintendo nerd until the 2006 ones, so it still works).

Yeah the first videos were just reviews he made of two NES games, not associated with any character at the time. The character was created in 2006.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It's also on sale for Wii U and 3DS at $4.99. I picked it up for Wii U, and wow, it's not an easy game. Burning through lives on this Assholevania level, lol. But overall, it's pretty good.

Its great imo, and the challenge is just perfect imo. Needs to burn some lives to get that satisfaction at the end :)

Entertaining episode, but you could tell James hadn't played in years.

Qlh7ndd.png

They wasted so much time farming the flying enemies but those tall things, which only take 1-2 missiles to beat, almost always drop large energy orbs. Of course Mike couldn't have been expected to know that, but James seems to have beaten the game before.

shanafan

Its great imo, and the challenge is just perfect imo. Needs to burn some lives to get that satisfaction at the end :)

Does the order of stages matter? I went through all my lives on the Assholevania stage. Surely there are easier beginner ones right?

maharg

idspispopd
Entertaining episode, but you could tell James hadn't played in years.

Qlh7ndd.png

They wasted so much time farming the flying enemies but those tall things, which only take 1-2 missiles to beat, almost always drop large energy orbs. Of course Mike couldn't have been expected to know that, but James seems to have beaten the game before.

*shrug* I've beaten the game as both a kid and an adult and I didn't know that. Pretty sure I went the long way farming for health in all of the 2d Metroid games more often than not. Beating a game is not the same as having an encyclopedic knowledge of every detail of it.

Timu

Not only did they laugh hard but they cried as well...which is what they hardly ever do!!!

Mike's laugh is the best though, lol.

shanafan

Not only did they laugh hard but they cried as well...which is what they hardly ever do!!!

Mike's laugh is the best though, lol.

I couldn't handle it enough to finish it, but dayum, Mike sounded like Urkel laughing a few times, lol

James just posted a new video in his nerd attire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEk8a70DDz8

Cinemassacre crossed two million subscribers and he is currently filming a new AVGN.

Also Mike just ended a 6 hour long livestream where he completed Who Framed Roger Rabbit on the NES. The last 3 or 4 hours was him fighting Judge Doom, which is the final boss in the game. Quite possibly one of the most bullshit final bosses ever in a game. It was kind of intense. Hopefully he uploads it soon.

Timu

James just posted a new video in his nerd attire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEk8a70DDz8

Cinemassacre crossed two million subscribers and he is currently filming a new AVGN.

Also Mike just ended a 6 hour long livestream where he completed Who Framed Roger Rabbit on the NES. The last 3 or 4 hours was him fighting Judge Doom, which is the final boss in the game. Quite possibly one of the most bullshit final bosses ever in a game. It was kind of intense. Hopefully he uploads it soon.
This is great news.

But 3-4 hours on one boss??? Wow...

2 million subscribers, wow.

Where do they get their revenue stream? Is it through monetization, do they have a partnership throughout anyone? Is it just merchandise sales or donations?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You think of Cinemassacre/AVGN as being super popular and they've been around forever, but 2 million subs is small potatoes compared to some of the let's player channels.

entremet

Wiki says they were on cinemassecre.com in 2004, but Youtube in 2006 (and that's when they got popular). This thread on it was started August 2006.

Angry Nintendo Nerd -> Angry Video Game Nerd was in 2007. I still think the old name was better. :p
Same. But I get the business reasons for the change.

Saven

Banned
Kinda shocked that he just now got to 2 million subscribers. I guess that time frame when he was with ScrewAttack and doing the movie slowed his viewer/subscriber rates down.

You think of Cinemassacre/AVGN as being super popular and they've been around forever, but 2 million subs is small potatoes compared to some of the let's player channels.

The Cinemassacre channel used to be incredibly inactive for long periods of time before they started to ramp up the content with James & Mike, Mike & Bootsy, Mike's live streams, and the Mike & Ryan reviews.

Before all of that happened, updates used to be incredibly sporadic with the monthly/ bi-monthly AVGN episode and the odd uploads of "Board James", "You Know What's Bullshit?!", Monster Madness promo or just random movie review from James & Mike. Sometimes the channel would go for weeks or even months without an update, which is why it never really grew as big as it could have.

It seems like they didn't start to release content daily until 2015.

TheYanger

The Cinemassacre channel used to be incredibly inactive for long periods of time before they started to ramp up the content with James & Mike, Mike & Bootsy, Mike's live streams, and the Mike & Ryan reviews.

Before all of that happened, updates used to be incredibly sporadic with the monthly/ bi-monthly AVGN episode and the odd uploads of "Board James", "You Know What's Bullshit?!", Monster Madness promo or just random movie review from James & Mike. Sometimes the channel would go for weeks or even months without an update, which is why it never really grew as big as it could have.

It seems like they didn't start to release content daily until 2015.

The nerd videos had a huge delay during his heyday too due to the deal with Screwattack/Gametrailers, right? I remember it being like, a month or a few weeks at least that any video was exclusive to GT. Results in all of his biggest fans not caring about the youtube channel.

The nerd videos had a huge delay during his heyday too due to the deal with Screwattack/Gametrailers, right? I remember it being like, a month or a few weeks at least that any video was exclusive to GT. Results in all of his biggest fans not caring about the youtube channel.

The delay was worse than that. His deal with ScrewAttack made it to where he couldn't upload the episodes to YouTube for at least full year. They had full exclusivity for 365 days.

Top Bottom