• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

In 2004, I was 12. AVGN has finally aged to the point where it might start reviewing games I'm nostalgic for. It really has been that long.

KyleCross

In 2004, I was 12. AVGN has finally aged to the point where it might start reviewing games I'm nostalgic for. It really has been that long.

Yeah. James has already reviewed some 6th gen games, but I'm awaiting for him to start going in deep on 5th and 6th gen. I realize he probably doesn't want to because they really just don't seem old enough, but I say it's time and lord knows there's some stinkers.

Yeah. James has already reviewed some 6th gen games, but I'm awaiting for him to start going in deep on 5th and 6th gen. I realize he probably doesn't want to because they really just don't seem old enough, but I say it's time and lord knows there's some stinkers.
He played 5th and 6th gen games in high school had college, so he should at least have some knowledge of them, enough to make Nerd videos I think.

This episode was a lot of fun. It was a nostalgia rush to see the old rooms. I don't remember what my first episode was, but the first episode I showed to someone was the Power Glove episode.

I'm so glad Mike gets to appear again as a character! I really miss him, and why I really like the '08-'10 episodes. I like the Cowardly Lion, Bugs Bunny, the Star Trek people, and the Joker. I know he's been controversial in those episodes (at least at the time), but I liked him.

Great episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't remember my first episode, but I remember when stuff like the Rambo episode was new, so I was around 15 or 16 at the time.

My first one was TMNT around 2006? I think he was only Angry Nintendo Nerd back then. I cried at the unreachable pizza and the platform you walked over.

TheYanger

My first one was TMNT around 2006? I think he was only Angry Nintendo Nerd back then. I cried at the unreachable pizza and the platform you walked over.

TMNT was basically viral, was the first 'huge' episode iirc. I think he referenced it a few times in the updates after that. Everyone I knew met the nerd through that episode, and we all had that game -_-

TMNT was basically viral, was the first 'huge' episode iirc. I think he referenced it a few times in the updates after that. Everyone I knew met the nerd through that episode, and we all had that game -_-

Yup, count me in as the same crowd.

This was a fantastic episode. The jokes all hit their mark. 25 minutes just flew right by.

I'm not sure when I discovered AVGN but the TMNT video was mind blowing to me when I first saw it. I never got the hate for TMNT on the NES until I saw that and realized that the TMNT NES game I knew was TMNT II The Arcade Game and not the one people always talked about.

Here's the Youtube page of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 10 years ago.

Congrats on him making it to the 10th anniversary episode. It was also good for him to still be able to play his older selves before he loses his hair. He is indeed a true pioneer in the medium, and the videogame and Youtube gaming side of the internet would literally not be the same without him.

It sucks that Megaman is dead though.

He was on point with the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde video. His persona of a stereotypical 1980's nerd that became a bitter alcoholic was perfect. He had the character nailed down since day one. Even the $0.89 price sticker on the cartridge is perfect.

I love how blunt James was in his earliest videos, like this from his Karate Kid video:
"Well. Let me be honest with you about this one.... hoo-boy! I HATE this game....I mean, it makes me want to kill myself."

Or this from his Roger Rabbit video:
"I'm not even going to punish myself anymore with this piece of shit. Alright, the game sucks. End of Story. I want to nail Roger Rabbit to the fucking cross." *end video*

Davilmar

I'm not sure what's the big controversy over Mega Man Legends, or the fawning over either game. I played the original and bought Mega Man Legends 2 around 2001. Its one of those games that seemed good when I was young, but the cutesy style of both games really didn't appeal much to me playing it now. The controls don't help, neither do the aesthetics or characters. Maybe I'm just weird, or some jaded old man. Everyone seemed to love that game series, and I could never really understand why.

If its a consolation to fans, I can understand the disappointment and anger toward the cancellation of MML3 a few years back. The way Capcom handled that entire debacle was lousy to say the least.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Great episode, been a good while since the last one hasn't it? I hope we get more Board James soon too.

I'm not sure what's the big controversy over Mega Man Legends, or the fawning over either game. I played the original and bought Mega Man Legends 2 around 2001. Its one of those games that seemed good when I was young, but the cutesy style of both games really didn't appeal much to me playing it now. The controls don't help, neither do the aesthetics or characters. Maybe I'm just weird, or some jaded old man. Everyone seemed to love that game series, and I could never really understand why.

If its a consolation to fans, I can understand the disappointment and anger toward the cancellation of MML3 a few years back. The way Capcom handled that entire debacle was lousy to say the least.

I think a lot of it has to do with how tolerant you are to "bad" 3D controls, what I played of Legends played just fine, but then again I didn't have much issue with the controls in Croc, a game notorious for its stiff platforming :lol.

grim-tales

The latest episode was awesome, you could really see the passion and the amount of work he put into it. Great jokes like the Mega Man soundtrack album,
recreating the old rooms when he goes back in time
, there were also scenes of pathos and sadness.
When he was
"Past AVGN"
it felt like he was reviewing the games in the same style as he would have done at the time.
A very, very clever episode, I loved it.

Honestly my only frustration with this episode (besides saying legends controlled better on the n64 which is lol) is that his big criticism of the later mega man games is all the story content which I feel is more a personal preference then a genuine problem since I like the added story to the mega man games like legends and x4 and on.

grim-tales

He got rid of his old Sony Trinitron CRT for a rectangle, nooooooo!

*starts watching episode*

He went all out on the special effects in this episode. Kind of interesting that the further he goes back, the newer the games become.

That's interesting, I hadnt thought of it that way.

maharg

idspispopd
I never played either version of MM Legends (looked stupid to me at the time), but what was the difference in controls?

I find that people who started gaming in that era, and played mostly on the PSX, have some ideas about 'good 3d controls' that ... differ a lot from my own. Because not all PSX controllers had an analog stick, and when they did it was in what I consider a secondary position (neither of which are true on the n64), there's a tendency towards awkward (imo) use of the dpad on the psx.

WillyFive

I never played either version of MM Legends (looked stupid to me at the time), but what was the difference in controls?

I find that people who started gaming in that era, and played mostly on the PSX, have some ideas about 'good 3d controls' that ... differ a lot from my own. Because not all PSX controllers had an analog stick, and when they did it was in what I consider a secondary position (neither of which are true on the n64), there's a tendency towards awkward (imo) use of the dpad on the psx.

I've noticed that too. When you are a kid, you don't really think about the analog sticks being added at the last minute to the controller in the worst possible spot, you simply think of them as the analog sticks.

I've actually been interested in playing Legends. Would it be worth it to pick up the 64 version? I have my N64 hooked up to my CRT right now so I'm going through games.

Sure, but accept that if you want to play the sequel, it's not available on the N64.

grim-tales

A thought just occured to me about the story:

A thought just occured to me - how/why is 2004 Nerd able to give 2016 Nerd advice on the AVGN series/Mega Man? Up to this point, 2004 Nerd has only made 2 episodes of the series right? Unless... 2004 Nerd travelled in time to 2016 and the present (2016) Nerd told him "You can't do the same thing all the time or it gets old", so when he goes back to his own time, 2004 Nerd is able to relay that same information to 2016 Nerd to help him.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this :p
Isnt this an example of Bootstrap Paradox?

WillyFive

A thought just occured to me about the story:

A thought just occured to me - how/why is 2004 Nerd able to give 2016 Nerd advice on the AVGN series/Mega Man? Up to this point, 2004 Nerd has only made 2 episodes of the series right? Unless... 2004 Nerd travelled in time to 2016 and the present (2016) Nerd told him "You can't do the same thing all the time or it gets old", so when he goes back to his own time, 2004 Nerd is able to relay that same information to 2016 Nerd to help him.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this :p
Isnt this an example of Bootstrap Paradox?

His advice is not some enlightened cosmic thought, it's a pretty common sense thing everywhere.

I'm amazed I had the patience to finish Mega man X5 back in the day. And I'm one of those 'Stop interrupting my game with your shitty dialogue!!!' people. I guess I was really sipping the Mega Man kool aid back then. Though I guess the fact that I never bothered with X6 is telling.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
X5 was......okay, I guess? I remember X4 being awesome & is perhaps my favorite along with the original, so maybe that's why X5 felt like a bit of a downgrade, but I wouldn't call it bad. Maybe that dialogue was only really during the intro stage, but I'd have to replay it to recall.

X6 completely screwed up the formula that worked just fine for 5 previous games. X7 at least had the excuse of "we tried something new, but it didn't work out", X6 was the first MM title to be made without Inafune, & it kind of shows with its level design.

Davilmar

Great episode, been a good while since the last one hasn't it? I hope we get more Board James soon too.

I think a lot of it has to do with how tolerant you are to "bad" 3D controls, what I played of Legends played just fine, but then again I didn't have much issue with the controls in Croc, a game notorious for its stiff platforming :lol.

Croc was just a terrible game for the PC. That was more unforgivable than anything from the MML series. I think my memories of the games were more positive than I remembered, because I tried playing MML and the controls nearly killed me. The clip in textures didn't help either. It was a game for its time, but it just stood in stark to the adulation I see it receive now.

Honestly my only frustration with this episode (besides saying legends controlled better on the n64 which is lol) is that his big criticism of the later mega man games is all the story content which I feel is more a personal preference then a genuine problem since I like the added story to the mega man games like legends and x4 and on.

I agree with the N64 comment. That version was all around bad, even worse considering how much later it was released than the original. From what I saw in the video, I think James was more annoyed by the inane and constant cut scenes and dialogue boxes appearing. For a game like Mega Man, breaking up the action like that constantly can seem like a pain in the ass.

Downhome

Awesome! AVGN auction for charity! Way to go James! :D

I bid on the Jekyll & Hyde Title Card thinking for sure I'd take the top spot, but nope, I only bumped it up to $100. This is going to be one of the highest priced items in the entire auction, if not the top. If I was willing to pay $100 for it, I can't imagine what some of the other more hardcore fans willing to spend money on it would go up to.

shanafan

Has the auction gone on Ebay?
I'd bid on the Jekyll and Hyde title card if I could.

In my personal opinion, I think they will use eBay on anything that isn't sold at this Sellersville auction. From watching the video, it sounded like James has a good relationship with them and prefer to mainstream everything through them. Just my thoughts..

Top Bottom