• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Linkzg said:
yeah, the HVGN is the only good AVGN 'spoof' out there, part of this is because he has amazing taste in games (he has Wild Guns and StarTropics as two of his videso already, amazing).

I wish he put out videos at a faster rate.

He's profiling some great games, but he's boring! No wonder the AVGN went with the angry angle, it actually makes for some funny commentary.

FoxSpirit

akachan ningen said:
He's profiling some great games, but he's boring! No wonder the AVGN went with the angry angle, it actually makes for some funny commentary.

HVGN made me play Metal Storm. My gratitude is very, very large.

akachan ningen said:

well, he isnt as straight up entertaining about AVGN, but I really just enjoy listening about games that I have played and thought were awesome or games that I havent played and want to check out after watching the videos. He is really good at expressing what is good about the game in a fun level and not so much going technical and saying "ngghah the graphics are good look at that sprite magnitation!", he just conveys why the game is so great in a simple way.

The comedy in the videos is really subtle and only noticable if you watched AVGN vids (like him drinking wine instead of beer, black shirt as a counter, etc...). The act of being a super nice guy is kind of funny at times tho.

Frog

Huh? This was posted only two months ago. Or are you saying AVGN is copying him because they reviewed the same game? AVGN always reviews games that have a related movie coming out.

Alex

I remember way back when that thing tanked and the price dropped to like 30 bucks, I picked one up, oh man it was like jamming razor blades into your eyes.

Also just reminded me of when Earthbound tanked and they had like 8 of those big box copies at the Walmart for 9.99. :( If only I could travel back in time and buy them all now!

Alex said:
I remember way back when that thing tanked and the price dropped to like 30 bucks, I picked one up, oh man it was like jamming razor blades into your eyes.

Also just reminded me of when Earthbound tanked and they had like 8 of those big box copies at the Walmart for 9.99. :( If only I could travel back in time and buy them all now!

My favorite memory relating to Virtual Boy was when I saw it for $50 with games at Toys R Us and decided to pick it up for a friends birthday (which was within a week or two of mine). So when I eventually went to see him, I gave him this package and he had one for me, and both of us opened the packages only to find out that we both gave each other Virtual Boys that were on sale.

Mason

Linkzg said:
My favorite memory relating to Virtual Boy was when I saw it for $50 with games at Toys R Us and decided to pick it up for a friends birthday (which was within a week or two of mine). So when I eventually went to see him, I gave him this package and he had one for me, and both of us opened the packages only to find out that we both gave each other Virtual Boys that were on sale.

:lol :lol :lol

AniHawk said:
Was VB Wario Land a completely different game than the GB Wario Land?

Yeah, it was completely linear: there were no hidden levels (as far as I know), and there weren't as many levels. There were also completely different hats that Wario could wear. It was a really good game, and it was a lot of fun going through it trying to find all of the treasures. Oh yeah, I think the goal in the game was to get Wario back home.

And Red Alarm was not as bad as he made it sound! It used the right d-pad to strafe your ship, too, making it the third game that used the right d-pad. Virtual Boy is probably the reason I wear glasses now, though.

AniHawk said:

Yep, and a far superior game. One of my all-time favorite platformers.

I actually like my VB quite a bit. There are a half a dozen games I thoroughly enjoy, and I own those, so it's a win for me; a permanent member of my collection.

charlesthefirst said:
And Red Alarm was not as bad as he made it sound! It used the right d-pad to strafe your ship, too, making it the third game that used the right d-pad.

Yeah, it's really not as disorienting as he said either. Once you play for a while and get used to how the distances between lines dictate what's an open space and what's a barrier, it's pretty easy to figure out where you're going and what you're seeing.

It's natural to have the occasional mix-up, but the game actually does a pretty good job of conveying the sense of being in a textured environment.

In every single bit of irony, Angry Nintendo Nerd managed to go from the first angry reviewer, to being an actual good reviewer. I've seen many angry review wannabes that judge games unfairly (one guy bashed freaking Rygar for being too difficult in the beginning of the game).

James made an excellent point about the Virtual Boy games. They were actually quite decent, especially Teroboxer and Warioland, but they were also games that would have been more successful on another console.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Mario's Tennis was excellent. I spent hours on that game. Baseball was very good too. Golf was meh; James is right in saying that it is completely unnecessary. Galactic Pinball was the same way. Red Alarm...what a steaming pile of shit. One of the worst games I have ever played.

I just wish I had WarioLand included in my VB collection. I don't know why I never picked it up.

hobbitx

What's really awful about the imitators isn't just so much how they ripoff the style and overdo the cursing, but how they actually go so far as to review the exact same games as AVGN like their isn't other awful shit out there to review. That's what really makes their acts so bashable and one dimensional.

hobbitx said:
What's really awful about the imitators isn't just so much how they ripoff the style and overdo the cursing, but how they actually go so far as to review the exact same games as AVGN like their isn't other awful shit out there to review. That's what really makes their acts so bashable and one dimensional.

Someone should do angry reviews of current gen games. That's an untapped market.
Well, reviewers that do a good job anyway

hobbitx said:
I am just ticked when these knock offs give bad reviews to good games, and people listen!

Shawn128

AniHawk said:

Yes. And I'm secure enough with my manhood to say that it was an excellent game, I played it through all the way, and it is actually one of the better Warioland games. I would pay full price for a remake on the DS or virtual console.

hobbitx

perfectchaos007 said:
Someone should do angry reviews of current gen games. That's an untapped market.
Well, reviewers that do a good job anyway
Indeed, I'm actually surprised AVGN himself doesn't. He has all these posters on his wall and has all these different systems, even changed his name just for clarification but still mainly only reviews nes games.

I'd make a channel like that, if my mic wasn't totally busted out of wack. /excuse

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
KittenMaster said:
AVGN does parody that idea, where the ghost of Christmas future shows James in the future reviewing Wii games.
Cept he doesnt exactly pick the right games. Like Banana Blitz isnt a bad game. I think he just more knowledgable and comfortable with the old school. Would like more SNES and Genesis titles though

Cept he doesnt exactly pick the right games. Like Banana Blitz isnt a bad game. I think he just more knowledgable and comfortable with the old school.
Old man James was really enjoying the games he was supposed to be angry about, adding to the fact that it isn't meant to be taken seriously.

hobbitx

HK-47 said:
Cept he doesnt exactly pick the right games. Like Banana Blitz isnt a bad game. I think he just more knowledgable and comfortable with the old school. Would like more SNES and Genesis titles though
......and DOS! There's lots of hilariously awful stuff on snes and he seems to be a pretty big pc guy even though he's never said boo about it.

Wow, never knew anything about some Oz game for SNES. Really, what's the demographic for a title like that?

Might as well make, "CATS" the game!

Pretty good episode. Lion wasn't funny though.

Mike Matei in the Bugs Bunny outfit? THAT was funny.

Top Bottom