• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

eXistor

Based on the one video I saw, I'm never watching anything by the Nostalgia Critic again.

/edit: AVGN's take on Ricky 1 was pretty lame as well, he can do better.

Shard said:
From the other side of this collaberation, The Nostalgia Critic has his game review up and running.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...tic/34-nostalgia-critic/994-video-game-review

riudxf.jpg

AniHawk said:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/nostalgia-critic/34-nostalgia-critic/609-captain-planet

That's probably his best one of his non-5 second movies work.'

The later five-second movies aren't as good as the originals though.

That was good, for a review of a painfully horrible cartoon, that is. That show is so bad it's hard to just watch the clips in the review...

I knew how awful that cartoon was at the time, but watched it sometimes anyway... :(

Anyway, yeah, that was much better than the Bebe's Kids one.

Talladega Night said:
He also liked Wario Land VB.

Yeah, in the console reviews the AGVN sometimes said good things about some of the games.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
this Angry Critic old man is so freaking bad , he is just an booring AVGN clone like tonz of other on youtube , he did movies too ? :lol well , at least Spoony Experiment dude is doing walkthrough with games .

AVGN was original , Yahtzee was original , this is why they big right now , if you have no new ideas and not funny don't waste our bandwidth .

AniHawk

Totobeni said:
this Angry Critic old man is so freaking bad

No, his thing is doing movies. They swapped for this one time which is why he reviewed a game and AVGN did Ricky I. AVGN did the angry reviewer thing first, but he didn't put his stuff online until thatguywiththeglasses had already become popular with his five second movies. Don't know when TGWTG started doing the nostalgia critic stuff because youtube's removed every five second movie and nostalgia critic video the guy's put up over the last couple years. I don't think he did it to rip off AVGN though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Totobeni said:
this Angry Critic old man is so freaking bad , he is just an booring AVGN clone like tonz of other on youtube , he did movies too ? :lol well , at least Spoony Experiment dude is doing walkthrough with games .

AVGN was original , Yahtzee was original , this is why they big right now , if you have no new ideas and not funny don't waste our bandwidth .

I am trying to figure out if this post is supposed to be a joke or not.

Flakster99

Fucking hilarious. :lol

FTWer said:
I take that back, that was not awesome. Not awesome at all.

So he reviewed 3 decent, but hard batman games & bitches about it, the end.

I wonder how much he would whine & bitch if he played Adventures of Batman & Robin on Genesis.

Watch out boys n' girls, we have ourselves a fan of shitty controls and a masochist of forgettable batman games.

Flakster99 said:
Watch out boys n' girls, we have ourselves a fan of shitty controls and a masochist of forgettable batman games.

I admit it felt like he was freaking out over something small with the Genesis one. So he didn't understand how the bosses worked yet, in the other videos he would eventually look something up when he got stuck. Here he just screamed a lot and moved on. He may actually know, and just did it for comic effect, or to show how someone who rented the game for the first time would feel, but it didn't feel very genuine.

Very funny ending, though.
When he got to the Commodore 64 one... :lol

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
That Joker was on crack!! Liked the 2 parts was fun as usual BUT (humorless nerd mode : ON) Joker's Return for the gameboy was great!!! Well I had fun with it.... (humorless nerd mode : OFF).

Too bad he didn't get to try the first batman game on the gameboy with its tiny sprite were batman just shoots people.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Too bad he didn't get to try the first batman game on the gameboy with its tiny sprite were batman just shoots people.
I remember enjoying that one (and the music), actually. It was probably pretty ass, but back then it was good fun. A lot of early Gameboy games had REALLLLLY small sprites, though.

It was a good episode. But EVERYTIME he brings one of his friends to play a part and they just sit there going "HURR BATMANSADAUYFHDSIAEVHJGLASFNLKNADFJGNJDL FLOLOLOL UFCKFUCKFUCKCYUFKCUFCKFUCKC ASSSSSASASASSSSSSSSSS SHIIISHITSHTISHTIHST" It just makes me cringe.

StormyTheRabbit said:
It was a good episode. But EVERYTIME he brings one of his friends to play a part and they just sit there going "HURR BATMANSADAUYFHDSIAEVHJGLASFNLKNADFJGNJDL FLOLOLOL UFCKFUCKFUCKCYUFKCUFCKFUCKC ASSSSSASASASSSSSSSSSS SHIIISHITSHTISHTIHST" It just makes me cringe.

yeah, that sucks.

FTWer said:
I take that back, that was not awesome. Not awesome at all.

So he reviewed 3 decent, but hard batman games & bitches about it, the end.

I wonder how much he would whine & bitch if he played Adventures of Batman & Robin on Genesis.

For crying out loud, if you watch the AVGN, how could you still don't get that his reviews shouldn't be taken too seriously? He said it himself that some of the points are exaggerated for the sake of entertainment. You should be smart enough to judge for yourself. Some of the games he's reviewed aren't as bad as he claims.

StormyTheRabbit said:
Yeah, it's pretty emberassing to watch. That laugh is so bad. Terrible.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I thought the first part was better. In all honesty, I think the Nerd should have saved Batman Forever, clearly the worst of the bunch, for the last review in part two instead of using it in the first part. The rest of the games felt like such an anticlimax after the unbelievably, spectacularly bad game that was Batman Forever. Of course, that wouldn't have fit with the Joker gimmick. By the way, speaking of the Joker, he was just annoying. I wasn't expecting Heath Ledger, but the Joker was just a retread of the Lion in the Wizard of Oz video and wasn't any funnier this time around.

Also, I'm surprised that the Nerd, who always seems to point out discrepancies with the game in relation to the source material in his movie-based game reviews, didn't point out how the Sunsoft Batman games had absolutely nothing to do with Batman. I mean, it doesn't even look like Sunsoft was trying to make a Batman game but just inserted Batman and the Joker into a game they had already made.

DarkKyo

StormyTheRabbit said:
It's always the same friend(Mike Matei, guy who draws the title cards).

It makes me cringe too. The reviews would be great without them. Most painful one so far would probably be the Wizard of Oz one.

Jason, Freddy, and Bugs Bunny were okay though, not bad. Spiderman was the best I think. He wasn't over the top in that one, just really on the level with AVGN in a good way.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Cow Mengde said:
For crying out loud, if you watch the AVGN, how could you still don't get that his reviews shouldn't be taken too seriously? He said it himself that some of the points are exaggerated for the sake of entertainment. You should be smart enough to judge for yourself. Some of the games he's reviewed aren't as bad as he claims.

Seems like he just picked 3 random 16-bit era Batman games to do his 2nd part.

How about the shitstain PS1/PS2 games.

Batman: Gotham City Racer

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - PS
-Avg Ratio: 22%

Batman & Robin - PS
-Avg Ratio: 47%
1.jpg

Batman: Dark Tomorrow - GC
-Avg Ratio: 28%
batman_screen020.jpg

Some of the worse shit since Superman 64, seems like a missed opportunity.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Struct09 said:
AVGN seems to stick to the 8 and 16 bit eras (or earlier) though. I think Superman 64 was an exception.

He reviewed a few PS1 games as well.
Seems like he is more concerned with his lousy gags than the actual reviews (couldn't made that joker bit without having the 3 Batman titles have a Joker name in them).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FTWer said:
He reviewed a few PS1 games as well.
Seems like he is more concerned with his lousy gags than the actual reviews (couldn't made that joker bit without having the 3 Batman titles have a Joker name in them).
Yeah, I love his video game segments but the skits are usually gawd awful.

Top Bottom