• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Dot50Cal

Banned
chubigans said:
Yeah, I love his video game segments but the skits are usually gawd awful.
I liked the Bugs Bunny one, it was funny. This Joker one was just bad, because it was sticking too close to the actual character. If he mixed it up a bit, it might have been funny. But it just came off as an annoying and cheap imitation.

agrajag

Banned
FTWer said:
I take that back, that was not awesome. Not awesome at all.

So he reviewed 3 decent, but hard batman games & bitches about it, the end.

I wonder how much he would whine & bitch if he played Adventures of Batman & Robin on Genesis.

FTLer.

Tim-E

FTWer said:
Seems like he just picked 3 random 16-bit era Batman games to do his 2nd part.

All 3 games had the Joker in the title and it was the Joker making him play them. So they were far from being random.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
The Happy Video Game Nerd has a new video on... ROCKET KNIGHT ADVENTURES!!!

http://www.retrowaretv.com/home/ (first video)

RKA kicks so much ass

This whole "Happy Video Game Nerd" thing isn't funny to me at all. I mean, the angry one was, because he was over the top, but the happy one is just like watching any normal nerd talk about their favorite title...why would I waste my time with that?

Now, back to watching Project Runway. :lol

permutated said:
This whole "Happy Video Game Nerd" thing isn't funny to me at all. I mean, the angry one was, because he was over the top, but the happy one is just like watching any normal nerd talk about their favorite title...why would I waste my time with that?

Because he actually talks about good games, and good games that many people have never heard of at that.

That automatically makes him better than every AVGN rip-off out there.

Sho Nuff

Banned
batman_screen020.jpg

Damn, that's what I think when I think "Batman"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like the HVGN. It started off as a parody then it just became a place for him to talk about good SNES games that aren't called Zelda or Mario. At the very least it reminded me of games that I liked but completely forgot about.

Deku

Banned
permutated said:

Now, back to watching Project Runway. :lol

its bad and he seems to be afraid of showing his face.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Meh. Never really liked his new vids. While he isn't really a good basis for reviews, his newer vids aren't really a good source of "entertainment". Most of them are just skits that are over-the-top and annoying.

Compare Batman part 2 two Double Vision, where he actually rants while playing the game and has little skit - now THAT is what a good AVGN vid is.

Jcgamer60

Dot50Cal said:
I liked the Bugs Bunny one, it was funny. This Joker one was just bad, because it was sticking too close to the actual character. If he mixed it up a bit, it might have been funny. But it just came off as an annoying and cheap imitation.

The bugs bunny one was the only good skit from him. imo.

Tim-E

Some of the stuff felt forced, but since he wasn't the one writing it then that's to be expected. It did have a few funny lines and I, too, hate Deadly Towers.

So I just watched Part 2 of the Batman AVGN special. Am I the only one who HATED the Joker and his laugh? I mean usually things like that don't annoy me but I wanted to step into the video and strangle the guy! :lol

Edit: Watched the newest video too. Liked it a lot.

big_z

tzp2gameknight said:
So I just watched Part 2 of the Batman AVGN special. Am I the only one who HATED the Joker and his laugh? I mean usually things like that don't annoy me but I wanted to step into the video and strangle the guy! :lol

Edit: Watched the newest video too. Liked it a lot.

i thought the joker looked like ronald mcdonald.

eLGee

Jacobi said:
The "fan-written" video is pretty awesome. I loved the German part.

I feel the exact opposite. To make the AVGN pass on other's thoughts about a game doesn't sit right with me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
eLGee said:
I feel the exact opposite. To make the AVGN pass on other's thoughts about a game doesn't sit right with me.

I agree, however I think it was the funniest review in a long time and was actually entertaining the whole way through since there was no shitty skit.

str8-h4x

not too bad.

Some of the quotes were pretty hilarious.

I wonder if the passwords work like dead rising - you restart from the beginning, but you've got all the items and "cheap ass hoes" that you obtained previously?

Rufus

eLGee said:
Instead of - what? Getting angry, which is all the FUNNY there is to be had in his stuff? (Besides the stupid swearing or costumes, which are not funny if you're older than 12.) The games are the jokes, he's just there, fuming at the most revealing points, underlining the ridiculous design decisions/fuck-ups. Like "what were they thinking?!" offer's any insight, come on.

Rufus said:
Instead of - what? Getting angry, which is all the FUNNY there is to be had in his stuff? (Besides the stupid swearing or costumes, which are not funny if you're older than 12.) The games are the jokes, he's just there, fuming at the most revealing points, underlining the ridiculous design decisions/fuck-ups. Like "what were they thinking?!" offer's any insight, come on.

He usually says "what were they thinking?!" after already outlining some good points about why the design is bad.

Vexidus

I kind of expected it to be a single fan writing the entire review, it didn't occur to me that it could be a mishmash of different peoples' lines. Pleasant surprise for me, I found it amusing! I'm fighting BALLS!

_leech_ said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa... Battletoads? One of the top games of the 8-bit era?

Hey, he says it's good. Watch the video...

But come on, the game is incredibly hard. And above that, he plays it in TWO PLAYER MODE here. Limited continues plus having to start the level over if EITHER player gets game over is just incredibly, incredibly cruel... it's an amazing game, and the AGVN admits it, but it's pretty hard to get more than just a few levels in. Particularly in two player mode.

Top Bottom