• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

He missed that fact that Star Fox needed to have an extra co-processor on the cartridge to have visuals like that. It wasn't just the SNES itself doing it.

M3wThr33

Banned
Nice.

Yeah, if Sega did the math like Atari did, the Saturn would be 96-bits. :lol

Each gen changed what those bits stood for, processor, bit-depth of sprites, memory, etc.

As a proud(?) Jaguar owner, I hope that he doesn't totally trash every game he plays on the system. So far he seemed to be down on Zool 2 and that game was pretty good. Two games I hope he goes into are Fight for Life and Club Drive; it would be even better if he has the manual for Fight for Life that explains the rich history of the characters, like the house wife.

Red Scarlet

M3wThr33 said:
Nice.

Yeah, if Sega did the math like Atari did, the Saturn would be 96-bits. :lol

Each gen changed what those bits stood for, processor, bit-depth of sprites, memory, etc.

About what number of bits would we be at now? Last one I can remember hearing about was the Dreamcast being 128 (probably wrong)?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Red Scarlet said:
About what number of bits would we be at now? Last one I can remember hearing about was the Dreamcast being 128 (probably wrong)?

Yes, the Dreamcast was the last "bit" system, and was technically 128 bits.

With the 360/PS3, I'm not so sure. If we go by the marketing term, then they would be 256 bits. I'm not too well versed on what they actually are, but I believe the PS3 uses a combination of "bits" including 32, 64, and 128 (but, for the purposes of defining "bits" its PPE is 64 and its SPE is 128). The 360 is just 64 bit, I think.

Just to clarify, I'm not 100% confident on the PS3/360 information, but it is the best I could figure from some searching.

Arthrus

Is there a set date for when his contract will be renewed so he can start releasing videos again? His other stuff never comes close to touching the AVGN reviews...

Oh the bit-wars, I bought into it fully

Always thought the Jaguar and Lynx were crap though that were just copying Nintendo

My Nintendo fanboy-ness saved me!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Arthrus said:
Is there a set date for when his contract will be renewed so he can start releasing videos again? His other stuff never comes close to touching the AVGN reviews...
He just released one thirty minutes ago. :)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This guy's great. For some reason, I love getting up in the morning on my day off, having a cup of coffee and watching AVGN videos. The last one I watched was his one on the old Nintendo Power magazine. Had me in stitches.

I appreciate this video because I was born in 1987 so I don't really know much about the early game consoles. This was good background and also explained what the hell this Jaguar console I've heard so much about and where it came from. I do remember the Bit wars though. :lol Looking forward to the next vid.

stressboy

I remember when this thing was new. We would see it at places like Good Guys and Circuit City, and my friends and I would stare and say "there is no way that thing is 64 bits". I also remember the price dropping pretty quickly because no one was buying it.

stressboy said:
I remember when this thing was new. We would see it at places like Good Guys and Circuit City, and my friends and I would stare and say "there is no way that thing is 64 bits". I also remember the price dropping pretty quickly because no one was buying it.
I remember Sam Tramiel flailing around like a litigious moron, lashing out at everything that moved. He was going to sue Sony for selling the PSX cheaper in the US than in Japan, he was trying to sue everyone that came even close to any of Atari's patents, and he even played the "OUR COMPETITION ISN'T AMERICAN BUT WE ARE, SO BUY JAGUAR AND SUPPORT AMERICA" card. Probably one of the biggest douchebags around at the time, and that's saying a lot cuz that was Trip Hawkins' hey-day as well.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I remember Sam Tramiel flailing around like a litigious moron, lashing out at everything that moved. He was going to sue Sony for selling the PSX cheaper in the US than in Japan, he was trying to sue everyone that came even close to any of Atari's patents, and he even played the "OUR COMPETITION ISN'T AMERICAN BUT WE ARE, SO BUY JAGUAR AND SUPPORT AMERICA" card. Probably one of the biggest douchebags around at the time, and that's saying a lot cuz that was Trip Hawkins' hey-day as well.
They had 50 million to make and market the system and develop games for it. Hardly surprising they were trying to get money any way they could.

Freshmaker said:
They had 50 million to make and market the system and develop games for it. Hardly surprising they were trying to get money any way they could.
Logic would dictate that if you don't have enough cash to ante up, you should just not play. You know, as opposed to trying to make allusions to Pearl Harbour in order to move more of your shitty fraud console.

_leech_ said:
He missed that fact that Star Fox needed to have an extra co-processor on the cartridge to have visuals like that. It wasn't just the SNES itself doing it.

He should have compared SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D to Aliens Vs. Predator. Cypermorph was a launch game, and not very impressive even then.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
SpoonyBard said:
He should have compared SNES version of Wolfenstein 3D to Aliens Vs. Predator. Cypermorph was a launch game, and not very impressive even then.
Wolf 3d vs Wolf 3d would be a better comparison.

It was funny enough that he ended the clip with music from Doom when the Jag version has no music.

Segata Sanshiro said:

But after the preliminaries things start getting hairy, with Tramiel spouting preposterous statements with little basis in reality. "If Sony comes in at $249 or $299, we'll do whatever we can to have the ITC -- that's the International Trade Commission of the United States -- to go after them. That's called dumping." Sony did, but Atari did no such thing.

http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/june03/dumbestmoments/index22.shtml

:lol

Freshmaker said:

It was funny enough that he ended the clip with music from Doom when the Jag version has no music.

Hmm, yeah, based on youtube clips the Jag version runs smoother and is a lot more detailed.

Ok, I realize that what I said about Cybermorph was kind of stupid, it was released half a year after StarFox, and on much more advanced system. It should have looked better than that.

Jazzem

Like the CDi part 1 video, it was just a build up for a more exciting episode, but this one was very informative and entertaining nonetheless. He's 100% right about the bit wars as well!

Segata Sanshiro said:

I still have the issue of next gen that interviewed him where he stated such malarkie. I used to love that mag........

Freshmaker said:

Wolfenstein 3D is so much better on the Jaguar compared to the SNES version. It's actually one of the few games that I still own the number pad overlay for. The only thing I didn't like was choosing between stafing and turning, but other than that, pretty much everything in the Jaguar version is superior.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think Cybermorph DOES look way better than Starfox, wtf is he on. First, it has a framerate. And second, it looks like it's not on rails. And, of course, the visuals are much better. The pop-in is bad, but it's bad in SF too, and SF is not using a native SNES.

Zool 2 looks worse than Sonic.

Y2Kev said:
I think Cybermorph DOES look way better than Starfox, wtf is he on. First, it has a framerate. And second, it looks like it's not on rails. And, of course, the visuals are much better. The pop-in is bad, but it's bad in SF too, and SF is not using a native SNES.

Zool 2 looks worse than Sonic.

Cybermorph has a world more open than even the all-range mode stages from Star Fox 64. The actual game is incredibly awful and has a weird cyber Michael Jackson as the announcer, but if we're comparing the games technically, Cybermorph is the winner.

That racing game he showed off is also awful. Virtua Racing on 32X is way better and a better comparison than Star Fox vs Cybermorph.

The thing is, Starfox has 100 times the style of Cybermorph. The latter game might be technically superior, but it doesn't mean it's better looking ( in a way ).

Lé Blade Runner said:
The thing is, Starfox has 100 times the style of Cybermorph. The latter game might be technically superior, but it doesn't mean it's better looking ( in a way ).

Really? both are a blocky mess of flat polygons, except that Cybermorph it's less blocky and dosn't run at 5 fps, I really can't see how Starfox has more style.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Relaxed Muscle said:
Really? both are a blocky mess of flat polygons, except that Cybermorph it's less blocky and dosn't run at 5 fps, I really can't see how Starfox has more style.
Starfox wasn't incredibly boring. Cybermorph... The clip the Nerd showed pretty much summed up the game.

JRW

Freshmaker said:
Starfox wasn't incredibly boring. Cybermorph... The clip the Nerd showed pretty much summed up the game.

Cybermorph was trash .. I was fortunate that I stumbled upon a die hard Atari collector who ended up buying my Jag & games for top dollar.

Freshmaker said:

I never played Cybermorph but going by the video and actually having a lot of fun with Starfox back then, I have to agree, but graphically Cybermorph looks better, not significantly better, but it wasn't a good comparison at all.

Top Bottom