• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

AVGN has done lots of movie tie-in games reviews. With current steady flow of shitty movie tie-in games, he's got materials for shows until 2020.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Ookami-kun said:
Oooh Chick... you rarely see hot female nerds.
There's Little Miss Gamer. She's adorably cute. Somewhat suprised she doesn't have a thread for her in GAF.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I owned the C64 version of Transformers. I wished the Nerd would have done more of a review on it. That game was impossible to figure out. For instance, if I remember (and I only vaguely do), there was a level where the dinosaur came alive at a carnival. There were no Decepticons to shoot and I couldn't figure out what to do. While the Japanese Famicon may have been hard, the C64 version made no sense at all.

Christopher

The NC is BEYOND annoying, I know it's his thing but I watched like 3 things from him and picks apart every petty little thing and he's SO fucking annoying on top of it...hey if you like him though whatever.

JSnake

Christopher said:
The NC is BEYOND annoying, I know it's his thing but I watched like 3 things from him and picks apart every petty little thing and he's SO fucking annoying on top of it...hey if you like him though whatever.

I kinda like him but his latest review of Sidekicks is absolutely awful. He reuses the same two gags about six times.

AniHawk

JSnake said:
I kinda like him but his latest review of Sidekicks is absolutely awful. He reuses the same two gags about six times.

The only thing I liked was, "Aww, I can't tap that, I'll get arrested."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Meh, people always have double standards. Nerd became worse upon his introduction of skits yet people never cared.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Darkmakaimura said:
There's Little Miss Gamer. She's adorably cute. Somewhat suprised she doesn't have a thread for her in GAF.

You serious Clark?
little-miss-gamer.jpg

Seriously?

I'm almost 100% sure that there was another Transformers game for the C64. I remember playing it when I was a kid. It was a side scroller also but with one big area. You could go any direction you wanted. The music was awesome, I think...

Edit: Found it!
C64.jpg

Bluth54

David H Wong said:
My theory is that more traffic = more ad revenue = more AVGN videos. Or maybe he'll spend it all on costumes.
He does a lot of other stuff, I doubt he has time to make more AVGN videos. I bet it takes at least 10-20 hours to make one from the first time playing the game to editing the final video together.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Christopher said:

You are beyond annoying...but you have a cool avatar so its ok.

Nocebo

Rocky_Balboa said:
I'm almost 100% sure that there was another Transformers game for the C64. I remember playing it when I was a kid. It was a side scroller also but with one big area. You could go any direction you wanted. The music was awesome, I think...
I remember playing this too. And not know what the hell to do, which was standard fare for me and my friends back in the day really... we were just happy to be playing the games at all. Times sure have changed.

Yowza

Bluth54 said:
He does a lot of other stuff, I doubt he has time to make more AVGN videos. I bet it takes at least 10-20 hours to make one from the first time playing the game to editing the final video together.

Apparently you're way off on your estimate.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=490

From writing to editing, the two Halloween specials combined took 102 hours.

He also claims his Mario 3 video took 80+ hours. It's obviously more than just "video blogging" with a witty comment here and there as he plays the game. It's apparent that he spends a lot of time making sure the videos don't turn into something dull/predictable every two weeks.

revolverjgw said:
That's devotion to his craft, beating a game like that without save states or whatever.

Yeah, definitely. If we ever needed any more proof of how good he is at NES games, the fact that he actually finished Transformers for the NES, one of the more infamously hard games on the system even by its standards of difficulty, should be that... very impressive.

The video was great, as well... very funny and well done. :)

AFreak

Banned
Kinda wishing he plays some of the PS1 Transformers. They are pure bile my friends(I might still own on somewhere, lol).

A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, definitely. If we ever needed any more proof of how good he is at NES games, the fact that he actually finished Transformers for the NES, one of the more infamously hard games on the system even by its standards of difficulty, should be that... very impressive.

The video was great, as well... very funny and well done. :)

I just had a vision of my avatar sneaking up behind your avatar and clubbing him over the head

AFreak said:
Kinda wishing he plays some of the PS1 Transformers. They are pure bile my friends(I might still own on somewhere, lol).

The only Transformers game I really liked was the PS2 game by Atari. Epic stuff.

AFreak

Banned
revolverjgw said:
I just had a vision of my avatar sneaking up behind your avatar and clubbing him over the head

The only Transformers game I really liked was the PS2 game by Atari. Epic stuff.
That one was pretty good.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
AFreak said:
I hope he eventually gets to more PS1 games. He did Independence Day but that's it. I know it's not that much in the past, but I'd love to see some terrible games that I never knew existed.

Bluth54

Yowza said:
Apparently you're way off on your estimate.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=490

He also claims his Mario 3 video took 80+ hours. It's obviously more than just "video blogging" with a witty comment here and there as he plays the game. It's apparent that he spends a lot of time making sure the videos don't turn into something dull/predictable every two weeks.

Wow that's a lot longer then I would of thought, though those episodes had a lot of stuff that aren't typically in an AVGN video. I guess I'll revise my estimate to say the average non event episode most likely takes in the neighborhood of 30-40 hours.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'd be kind of interested to watch/listen to him playthrough a game... basically an uncut/unedited version of his show, just to see how mad he actually gets playing something obscene like Transformers. :)

sentry65

how does anyone know he actually plays the games on a physical system just because that's what the video shows?

for the sake of saving time, keeping your sanity, and ease of editing, I'd think he'd be using emulators a lot of the time with save states at different locations - not to mention a clearer picture

maharg

idspispopd
sentry65 said:
how does anyone know he actually plays the games on a physical system just because that's what the video shows?

for the sake of saving time, keeping your sanity, and ease of editing, I'd think he'd be using emulators a lot of the time with save states at different locations

I agree. It's pretty much insane to think that he's bothering with a video capture device when an emulator can do a much better job. Some of these systems he probably has to, though keep in mind the shots of him on the couch playing are probably not the same play-through as we see direct capture of the game from. It would just be very impractical to do that.

I think a lot of people in this thread fall for the 'magic' of video editing. Probably think that the questions and answers in tv news interview are done at the same time, too.

maharg said:
I agree. It's pretty much insane to think that he's bothering with a video capture device when an emulator can do a much better job. Some of these systems he probably has to, though keep in mind the shots of him on the couch playing are probably not the same play-through as we see direct capture of the game from. It would just be very impractical to do that.

I think a lot of people in this thread fall for the 'magic' of video editing. Probably think that the questions and answers in tv news interview are done at the same time, too.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind he's using actual hardware for his videos. You think he'd go through all that trouble to get the actual game and just use an emulator?

Not only is it common sense, but it's right on his website:

How do you record your game footage?

I just use a DVD recorder. That’s it. The game is plugged into the DVD recorder, and I push record. But then, how you get the DVD footage into your computer is up to you. There’s several ways, but I’ll avoid the technical explanation, just google it or something.

I think some of you don't realize that using a video capture device is usually easier than an emulator. You hook up the cables, hit record. It's that easy. The way James is doing it seems archaic, but whatever.

Setting up a lot of those deaths in any of the games he's looked at would require some amount of save-state manipulation. It's common sense.

You can count the number of times on one hand that an AVGN episode has actually shown James playing the game. 99% of the time the camera is angled so you can seeing him holding the controller and cursing but not the actual game.

On that same note I wouldn't hate on the dude even if he did save-state his way through most of the shitty games he played. I'd do the same thing cause seriously most of those titles just aren't worth the effort.

But I guess that doesn't really matter cause I'm wrong. Course like someone else said I'm now interested in seeing videos of him simply trying to play through these games.

thewesker said:
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind he's using actual hardware for his videos. You think he'd go through all that trouble to get the actual game and just use an emulator?

Sure why not? I own Beyond Oasis on the Genesis, Virtual Console, and via that Ultimate Genesis Collection and I still spent a lot of time playing it on an emulator. That's mainly because I can record games and use a Saturn pad on it.

He isn't playing the games when he films himself in there. He plays the game before hand while recording the footage, then he inserts shots of himself later.

He has a Mac and he has no clue how to use emulators on his Mac.

Also, straight from his website: He actually drank that hot sauce and had to do MULTIPLE TAKES of it. That's dedication.

Edit - Here's footage of James beating Captain S and the staff of Digital Press during last summer's game contest. Then he processes to break the Digital press guy's high score in the Simpson game bonus round.

Ok, I've gone through the thing and found it. It's 3 parts where there square off in a few old school arcade games. James makes a come from behind win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8i23atq4vU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuLV_CTZmo4
Skip ahead to 5:00 if you don't want to watch the silly commercial break.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyTL...BF56520CD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

Jackano

Good AVGN Transformers vid. My only complain, it wasn't funny to see how he introduced the Famicom and the FDS. This stuff is far from being sh*t.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
It was a good review, but I think my favourite part was learning about using the mic to defeat the Pols Voice enemies in the Famicom version of the first Zelda game. That was new to me. :lol

Top Bottom