• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

If he says he plays them on the actual hardware, I'm inclined to believe him. Doing it on an emulator would definitely have its advantages, but there's no reason he can't get enough perfect footage for every conceivable observation just by playing normally. He doesn't take any shortcuts with his production and collection, so it doesn't sound like bullshit when he says he plays through these games the old fashioned way.

oatmeal

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
It was a good review, but I think my favourite part was learning about using the mic to defeat the Pols Voice enemies in the Famicom version of the first Zelda game. That was new to me. :lol

Yeah me too!

Really cool feature, though. I'm surprised they didn't do that in Phantom Hourglass.

revolverjgw said:
If he says he plays them on the actual hardware, I'm inclined to believe him. Doing it on an emulator would definitely have its advantages, but there's no reason he can't get enough perfect footage for every conceivable observation just by playing normally. He doesn't take any shortcuts with his production and collection, so it doesn't sound like bullshit when he says he plays through these games the old fashioned way.

He also drank the hot sauce, and had to do several takes of it. I heard he also broke his toe during the filming of the Diehard video.

He's definitely the real deal. He does his own stunts.

thewesker said:
I think some of you don't realize that using a video capture device is usually easier than an emulator. You hook up the cables, hit record. It's that easy. The way James is doing it seems archaic, but whatever.

This. In the NES Collection video he also shows off tons of external harddrives with several terrabytes and says that he uses those to capture footage off the consoles.

Why does he have pirate famicom games? 4 out of the 5 were games he showed along their NES counterparts were pirates. Mario 3 was the only genuine one (although transformers was genuine too). Oddly 3 of those 4 games were NES exclusives that didn't get official famicom releases, which completely contradicts his point of so many shitty games getting international releases.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yazus said:
ITS MOTHERFUCKING BEEEEEEEE SEVENTEEEEEEEEN BAAAAAAAAAAAAALMEEEEEEEER

edit:

this video inspired me to make my first gif ever (my avatar).

I'm just curious... what did you use to make that?

HeartAttackJones said:

lol that's amazing.

And now a GIF from the Transformers video (paused at end for great effect):

29f5cph.gif

Sleeker

G-Fex said:
I'm really impressed that he managed to beat the game. It's nearly impossible.

Yeah the nerds got some serious skills.

It seems he doesn't usually try to actually beat all of the impossible ones, just demonstrate their difficulty.
He probably doesn't want to suffer a stroke either.

t3nmilez

The ending for Transformers is so terrible, it tells you to go back and beat the game while getting the Rodimus items, Ghost and Goblins style.

Man, what an awful game, it's somewhat legendary here in Japan, haha.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Favre4435 said:
You serious Clark?
little-miss-gamer.jpg

Seriously?

She speaks at a lot of the gaming panels at the local sci-fi convention. She seems like a pretty nice person based on talking to her a bit at them.

LakeEarth

t3nmilez said:
The ending for Transformers is so terrible, it tells you to go back and beat the game while getting the Rodimus items, Ghost and Goblins style.

Man, what an awful game, it's somewhat legendary here in Japan, haha.
You mean he actually didn't fully beat it, but since he couldn't read the screen we thought he did?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
djtiesto said:
She speaks at a lot of the gaming panels at the local sci-fi convention. She seems like a pretty nice person based on talking to her a bit at them.

That, uh, doesn't really make her any more attractive to me.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
stuminus3 said:
Wow, I had no idea that C64 game existed, the one I knew was the one posted by Rocky_Balboa.
I used to love Activision's Commodore 64 Transformers game (although I have the disc version instead of the cassette).

One year at the Classic Gaming Expo, I was able to get David Crane to sign it.

kme93m

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HOLY SHIT the window part. :lol

KittenMaster said:
Loved the image AVGN had to show King Kong being taken away. Had to make it my new avatar.

Second favorite part. :lol :lol

Jazzem

I still can't believe Nintendo happily published those games. Surely someone higher up must've wanted some quality control...?

Brilliant review as always, I suppose it was only a matter of time before he reviewed these!

On another note, anyone else thinking he needs to do a Sonic-clone mascot rundown? I'd love to see him bash Bubsy!

Sleeker

i remember renting the SNES version of mario is missing.

it was a sorely disapointing experience having just gotten my first nintendo and wanted to play some games.
i couldnt ever figure out how to go down a street.

:lol

I remember my brother wanting this game from a trade shop for years and my parents said when he learned how to read they would buy it for him as he was pretty young. Years later, we found it elsewhere and picked it up; SNES version. Gotta say, biggest disappointment for a kid whose favorite character is Luigi and was hoping for some awesome adventure. :lol

sfog

I still can't believe Nintendo happily published those games. Surely someone higher up must've wanted some quality control...?

Nintendo didn't publish it (the same goes for Mario's Time Machine and the Mario's Early Years series). They just licensed out the characters to Mindscape/The Software Toolworks for those.

Xater

I remember picking out Mario's Time Machine as I was a kid. I was so happy my parents bought me a new Mario game. Can you imagine how devasted I was after I played it? This game is one of my worst childhood memories. :lol

Struct09

I rented Mario is Missing for SNES, and I remember being sorely disappointed to find out it was an educational game. Despite that I poured hours and hours into the game, got bored out of my mind, and never managed to finish it.

Jazzem

Just as well for Luigi's Mansion eh? :) May not have brought him up to the status of his brother, but it was a great little game nonetheless.

I think I can trump everyone else's Mario is Missing memories.

My youngest brother, barely 8 years old, saved his allowance for weeks so he could rent whatever game he wanted all on his own. We took him to the local video store, let him peruse the SNES section, and, beaming, he picked out Mario is Missing and paid for it all by himself. He was so proud.

We got home and he bounded upstairs to his bedroom with his new prize, barely able to contain himself.

Not 15 minutes later he was crying his eyes out.

It has a happy ending though, it was a locally-owned store and we knew the guy so he let us swap it for another game. The scars, however, still remain.

Johann

SanjuroTsubaki said:
That's just as I remembered playing it back in the day.

I remember seeing it at the doctor's office last month. Just one glance and I couldn't get that damn commercial's song out of my head.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Xater said:
I remember picking out Mario's Time Machine as I was a kid. I was so happy my parents bought me a new Mario game. Can you imagine how devasted I was after I played it? This game is one of my worst childhood memories. :lol
I rented the PC version for a local library, luckily for me my child hood was saved because it wouldn't work on our computer :lol

chubigans said:
Aw, I thought there was a new one. :(

Sorry about that. Found in the middle of a search.

Looking back a bit to a reply or two I forgot to get to, if way late:

A Black Falcon said:
Zelda on the NES's combat was great... four-way movement works fine. More freedom is nice, sure, but not necessary to have a good game.

4 directional gameplay is fine... for an old-school RPG. Restrictive in an action game.

Jiggy said:
Zelda 1 had the best combat in the traditional series precisely because of the random AI. Once the enemies gained patterns in later games (2D and 3D), they became too easily-exploitable and were laughable threats if even that.

Said randomness results in enemies randomly bumping into you, and the 4 directional movement and stabbing makes it harder than in other games to evade and fight them. Besides, weren't you criticizing Zelda II for random AT, even though it was on account of one enemy?

I have been watching the justintv stream every night before i go to sleep, even rewatching the ones i have already seen is still awesome.

My favorite though is without a doubt Super Mario Bros 3 review, that was beyond epic.

Kagami

chubigans said:
Aw, I thought there was a new one. :(
GAF really needs a "don't bump" checkbox available when posting.
I don't know why that function isn't standard on forums in general.
Would eliminate the ridiculous "necromancy" drama.

Top Bottom