• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

maharg

idspispopd
Kagami said:
GAF really needs a "don't bump" checkbox available when posting.
I don't know why that function isn't standard on forums in general.
Would eliminate the ridiculous "necromancy" drama.

I can tell you exactly what would happen should such a 'feature' ever be added. Spammers would sign up, find old threads, pump them full of links, and use it for googlebombing without the forum administration noticing. Or people would use it to artificially up their post count with garbage in old threads.

No, not a good idea at all.

HUELEN10

maharg said:
I can tell you exactly what would happen should such a 'feature' ever be added. Spammers would sign up, find old threads, pump them full of links, and use it for googlebombing without the forum administration noticing. Or people would use it to artificially up their post count with garbage in old threads.

No, not a good idea at all.
People actually care that much about post-count? I thought that was the reason with it only being shown on profile pages. News to me, sad really.

As for the latest Board James, Motherfucker Mike was such a dick when he stole James' balls! :lol :lol :lol

cartman414 said:
4 directional gameplay is fine... for an old-school RPG. Restrictive in an action game.

Said randomness results in enemies randomly bumping into you, and the 4 directional movement and stabbing makes it harder than in other games to evade and fight them. Besides, weren't you criticizing Zelda II for random AT, even though it was on account of one enemy?

Um that's part of the fun. You give Link his eight-way movement and sword-swing from LTTP and you turn one of the most challenging Zelda games into one of the easiest.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Um that's part of the fun. You give Link his eight-way movement and sword-swing from LTTP and you turn one of the most challenging Zelda games into one of the easiest.

LttP was one of the easier Zeldas for reasons other than that.

The four-directional control/stabbing scheme of Zelda makes things more obfuscating than fun. It's artificial difficulty. Not to mention that the lack of diagonals slows down travel when you need to go in multiple directions. (i. e. 4 steps north + 4 steps east = 8 total steps to travel 4 northeast without diagonals vs. 4 total steps with diagonals)

cartman414 said:
The four-directional control/stabbing scheme of Zelda makes things more obfuscating than fun. It's artificial difficulty. Not to mention that the lack of diagonals slows down travel when you need to go in multiple directions. (i. e. 4 steps north + 4 steps east = 8 total steps to travel 4 northeast without diagonals vs. 4 total steps with diagonals)

I'm not seeing it. At the most you're looking at a couple extra seconds of moving around. Furthermore even though Link can only move in four directions he still has the speed and maneuverability advantage over his foes. Most enemies(at least the threatening ones) have to move at least one square before they can change directions. Link is not limited to this and can move a half/square. Couple this with his obvious speed advantage and he can quickly out-maneuver even his toughest enemies. This is why the game has no qualms about throwing Link into a room full of enemies and locking the door because it's well aware the player can handle them. If the enemies attacked from an angle it would be different but since that's not the case(okay make an exception for the blue wizrobes). Oh and yes fireballs do come in from angles but they're easily dodged since the point where they're coming from is usually stationary.

Take away his speed and agility and you have an argument for artificial difficulty. Till then four-way movement was exactly how the game was designed. Why not make a case for the older Castlevanias then? There were platformers released around the same time that allowed for mid-air controllable jumps. Mikey from Startropics 1 could only move in four directions. Heck unless he was moving from platform to platform he could only jump straight up. Despite that he didn't need diagonal movement as he was more than capable of handling everything thrown at him.

Besides isn't artificial difficulty usually created by the player as a means to challenge themselves further? That's always how I saw it.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm not seeing it. At the most you're looking at a couple extra seconds of moving around. Furthermore even though Link can only move in four directions he still has the speed and maneuverability advantage over his foes. Most enemies(at least the threatening ones) have to move at least one square before they can change directions. Link is not limited to this and can move a half/square. Couple this with his obvious speed advantage and he can quickly out-maneuver even his toughest enemies. This is why the game has no qualms about throwing Link into a room full of enemies and locking the door because it's well aware the player can handle them. If the enemies attacked from an angle it would be different but since that's not the case(okay make an exception for the blue wizrobes). Oh and yes fireballs do come in from angles but they're easily dodged since the point where they're coming from is usually stationary.

Take away his speed and agility and you have an argument for artificial difficulty. Till then four-way movement was exactly how the game was designed. Why not make a case for the older Castlevanias then? There were platformers released around the same time that allowed for mid-air controllable jumps. Mikey from Startropics 1 could only move in four directions. Heck unless he was moving from platform to platform he could only jump straight up. Despite that he didn't need diagonal movement as he was more than capable of handling everything thrown at him.

Besides isn't artificial difficulty usually created by the player as a means to challenge themselves further? That's always how I saw it.

All those moments of being restricted to straight moment do add up though in terms of monotony. And even though Link can move half-squares, anything short of that gets "rounded upward" when he changes directions from there, meaning Link automatically moves forward the rest of that half-square between changing. There's no in-between there. That's another sense how decidedly rigid the movement scheme is, even though, granted, it isn't as bad as the way various enemies have it. And I say various, because that doesn't account for the enemies that can travel diagonally, not to mention the beams that many of them shoot out.

The old-school Castlevanias a bit of a different case, in that it's a side-scroller, and the way it's designed, you don't have to be concerned with enemies coming at you from both axial directions, as opposed the top-down Zeldas where you do. (Not to mention that in the Castlevanias, as side-scrollers, you have more concurrent axial freedom of movement via jumping.)

BISON!

Banned
man, why the hell can't gametrailers release that video NOW? 20 minutes?

I aughta slap them with my big fat greasy Italian cock.

agner583

This has got to be on of the worst "games" I have ever seen. Although it is also so stupid that its funny. I was laghing so hard during the video at the complete randomeness of it.

"There are dogs clapping?":lol What a total acid trip of a title ever.

That vid was one of the nerds best. Straightforward, and showing the most bizarre "game" ever. That chase scene, wtf? Loved the little touch that he added at the end.

HUELEN10

24nhg7c.png

Up for grabs if any of you want it!

m3k

BISON! said:
man, why the hell can't gametrailers release that video NOW? 20 minutes?

I aughta slap them with my big fat greasy Italian cock.

_sgray said:
PS3 controller in the intro? He's should be called Trolling Nintendo Fanboy.

whats with this new batch of juniors

Uzumaki Goku

Hi. I realize I'm new, and I've been a fan of AVGN since late 2006 but enough of that...

I realize I'm probably too new here to ask but... could somebody make a gif of the Nerd's reaction to the "chicken mask"? :D

Top Bottom