• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

Y2Kev said:
He shits on N64 castlevania :(

I am so sad :(

such an awesome game :(((

omg he shits on the Castle Center wall puzzle. wtf. that was so awesome. you couldn't jump at all. it was amazing.

That game had real puzzles. And real adventure. And yes, it had awful graphics and controls, but it was the N64. I was used to that.

agreed

CV64 Definitely had some good soundtrack gems in it.

Pachinko

N64 castlevania is a disgrace to the series. Such a garbage game. It was like- lets take the shittiest aspects of 3d gaming and none of the good ones and throw castlevanias name on it. oh and hire a crappy artist to draw the characters and split the game into 2 80 dollar releases. I'm curious to see where he goes in the final chapter of this, if he just polishes off the N64 game or mentions in passing some of the other older entries- (namely symphony and bloodlines).

Pretty sure all you had to do was stand in front of the wall and push A to plant the nitro and mandragora. Anyway, dude's crazy. Castlevania 64's soundtrack was pretty great

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Look, CV64 is not a flawless game. It's not even well executed. But it has so much verve. It has so much crazy bullshit. Motorcycle skeletons are not bad, they are good. Nay--they are awesome.

This game has ADVENTURE in ways the newer Castlevanias simply do not have. It has levels like the villa. It has levels like the Tower of Sorcery, which is a fucking ridiculous platforming level loaded with disappearing crystal platforms. It has the Center Castle level, which has an awesome puzzle that was creative and frustrating as hell if you weren't willing to take it slowly and really do what the game wanted you to.

Do I think the game has an awesome--no, an even GOOD--camera, control system, graphics, music, story, or any of that stuff? No. Not at all. But unlike the latest IGAvania crapfest, it has personality. And the component parts--excepting the camera-- are perfectly fine I think.

There are so many moments in the game that remain extremely memorable. Reinhardt walking in on Rosa's suicide is one of them. Malus (lol bad, wish I knew the root word when I was like 10) transforming into Dracula? The fucking world opening up in the end of the game and you being sucked into this desert hell to fight the OMEGA DEMON?

The game is not great. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who can't take frustration. But man, I love it.

And I totally understand AVGN is for fun and all that. I love him. I love every episode. So I'm not one of those.

Another great episode! I personally loved CV64, I think they nailed the atmosphere. I always play as Reinhardt though.

But Castlevania IV definitely is my favorite of the series.

CV64 always seemed like an abomination to me. Coming 2 years after the SotN, I never understood why they decided to go with 3D instead of giving the N64 some proper 2D lovin'.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Finally some CV4 love after the hatefest that GAF usually is, against that game. Seriously, I've never seen a SNES title so vigorously hated that Super Castlevania IV, is on GAF. It's literally like it's the worst game ever.

It's a goddamn masterpiece, bitches.

TheCardPlayer said:
Finally some CV4 love after the hatefest that GAF usually is, against that game. Seriously, I've never seen a SNES title so vigorously hated that Super Castlevania IV, is on GAF. It's literally like it's the worst game ever.

Hmm...I'm pretty new to GAF, so I wasn't aware that CV4 was hated around here. But yeah, it's pretty much my all time favorite game. Nearly perfect in every way imaginable.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Y2Kev said:
Look, CV64 is not a flawless game. It's not even well executed. But it has so much verve. It has so much crazy bullshit. Motorcycle skeletons are not bad, they are good. Nay--they are awesome.

This game has ADVENTURE in ways the newer Castlevanias simply do not have. It has levels like the villa. It has levels like the Tower of Sorcery, which is a fucking ridiculous platforming level loaded with disappearing crystal platforms. It has the Center Castle level, which has an awesome puzzle that was creative and frustrating as hell if you weren't willing to take it slowly and really do what the game wanted you to.

Do I think the game has an awesome--no, an even GOOD--camera, control system, graphics, music, story, or any of that stuff? No. Not at all. But unlike the latest IGAvania crapfest, it has personality. And the component parts--excepting the camera-- are perfectly fine I think.

There are so many moments in the game that remain extremely memorable. Reinhardt walking in on Rosa's suicide is one of them. Malus (lol bad, wish I knew the root word when I was like 10) transforming into Dracula? The fucking world opening up in the end of the game and you being sucked into this desert hell to fight the OMEGA DEMON?

The game is not great. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who can't take frustration. But man, I love it.

And I totally understand AVGN is for fun and all that. I love him. I love every episode. So I'm not one of those.

You were 10 when you played Castlevania 64. That's all you needed to say really :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
ArachosiA 78 said:
Hmm...I'm pretty new to GAF, so I wasn't aware that CV4 was hated around here. But yeah, it's pretty much my all time favorite game. Nearly perfect in every way imaginable.

Right on! I personally prefer only CV3 and OoE to it, and one of those is due to nostalgia. It's a perfect platforming/action game. If only you'd seen the hate, the soundtrack gets. It's an amazing collection of music and yet, it's fucking awful, according to some.

TheCardPlayer said:
Finally some CV4 hatefest. I vigorously hate Super Castlevania IV. It's literally the worst game ever.

It's a goddamn bitch.

Castlevania 4 rocks! what are you talking about? damn gaf and the evil conspiracy to hate on everything because in my mind I'm awesome for being so against the grain and liking this game--this is despite gaf never actually hating on the game and in a recent thread many people claiming they like the game the most. I'M RAGING SO HARD RIGHT NOW.

Castlevania IV would be in my top 10 SNES games, easily, and definitely my top 10 CV games. It's brilliant. It really felt like Castlevania brought into a new world of gaming - the advancements made from CV3 were huge, particularly the controls which went from stiff to wonderfully fluid. Not to mention all the new level design possibilities that the SNES allowed.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I can't wait until he hits up SotN. There's nothing bad he can say about that. Strange with all the N64 Castlevania love. I remember it being panned by fans. Heck, it even got retconned from the CV continunity.

TheCardPlayer said:
Right on! I personally prefer only CV3 and OoE to it, and one of those is due to nostalgia. It's a perfect platforming/action game. If only you'd seen the hate, the soundtrack gets. It's an amazing collection of music and yet, it's fucking awful, according to some.

Wait, what? The soundtrack gets hated on? I can understand people complaining that it's too easy or too linear, but the soundtrack? CVIV has one of the greatest soundtracks in the history of gaming. I seriously love every single track in that game. Anyone who feels that the soundtrack in CVIV is awful is dead wrong. That's all there is to it.

First -- absolutely agreed 100% with him about Super Castlevania IV. Best controls in the series, and a nearly perfect game too. Just exceptional work, it's almost certainly my favorite game in the series. At least, none of the other ones I've played can compete. Lots of levels, interesting level designs, exceptional music, that awesome 8-way whip that I badly wish they had kept in the series, and more... I just can't agree with pretty much any of the people who dislike its' complaints. Nor does the AGVN, evidently. No branching paths? With this many levels, I don't care. No other characters? Oh well, Simon is awesome here. Difficulty? Well, there is a hard mode you unlock after you beat it... and it's a moderate challenge at least. Fun the whole way through. Oh, and the fact that it actually gives you new passwords after every boss in the boss rush at the end impressed me and made me very happy, you don't have to redo it all every time you die!

Phantom Flapjack said:
Pretty sure all you had to do was stand in front of the wall and push A to plant the nitro and mandragora. Anyway, dude's crazy. Castlevania 64's soundtrack was pretty great

Yup. I don't even remember the Nitro part, must not have been that annoying, for me at least. I did just look it up though, and that's exactly what you do. It was obvious even in the video though, he didn't even get anywhere near the door before trying to use the item, most likely because he knew that that way it'd actually work and be less funny for what he wanted to do in the video. Just chalk it up to another case of "him doing things that are obviously wrong for the comic value", he does that kind of thing all the time... I'm sure he actually knew what to do there. Too bad he didn't like the games though, yeah. It was a good episode though, you can't take what he says too seriously... :)

Also, yeah, the music is good. It's quite solid music which fits the series well, and some classic songs from earlier games return. This game has no problems in the music department. The 'atmospheric sounds' parts work well too, to help create the sense of atmosphere that the game has.

Y2Kev said:

First -- agreed, apocryphal motorcycle skeletons are awesome. Being a history person that's normally something I'd complain about, but it's just so ridiculous here that I can't help but find it funny... :)

However, you're not being fair there. The controls are definitely good. It's very nice how easy they made it to grab onto platform edges, you have to TRY to miss jumps, pretty much, most of the time. It'll even flip you around to grab onto a ledge behind you if you jump facing the wrong way! It's a lot more forgiving than a lot of other 3d platformer games, really. :)

Tower of Sorcery? It wasn't that hard... other parts of the game are a lot harder. The tower with the lava in it was hard, but that one wasn't so much. When I first saw it I thought it would be, but a little practice got me through. You just learn the patterns of the blocks and jump... as I said you won't miss the jumps if you're aimed anywhere near the right direction, so it's just about timing. I agree that it was a cool level though, though I could say things as nice about most of the levels in the game... it's just got such great level designs. I mean, the clock tower level was awesome as well, and the castle center, the first stage in LoD on the boats and dock, etc... it would be hard to choose my favorites.

The game definitely does have some challenging platforming in it, and some tricky puzzles, but it better, given that it's a 3d platform/adventure game. If it didn't I'd be disappointed... but it does. It's got some good fights too. Some of the bossfights are great, the last one for example. Teleporting Dracula, etc... pretty cool. :) Even so, combat isn't the game's main strength, platforming and adventure (figuring out how to get where you need to go, puzzle solving, etc) in a very atmospheric game are, and I like it that way. It definitely has a stronger adventure-game feel than most games of this kind, with all the items you have to find and puzzles to solve. I loved that element of the game. Challenging at times when I couldn't figure the puzzle out, sure, but the game is better off for it. That's a good kind of challenge, the kind that actually makes you think.

I've said it before, but I got Castlevania Legacy of Darkness a couple of years ago with no expectations for it to be good, considering how everyone seemed to hate it, but quickly realized that it actually was a really good game. Great atmosphere, good controls, good level designs, some good puzzles, nice graphics (high res mode looks great, way better than the first game!) and more... I just really liked it. I do have the first one too, now, but haven't played it as much. The graphics are nowhere near as good as the second game's, these two characters are way weaker in combat than Cornell, and the fact that you only get the good ending if you beat it in a time limit really ruins it. I hate games with time limits! Anyway, LoD is awesome.

As for the camera, that I will agree wasn't great. Very, very few 3d games back then had great cameras. It's tolerable, but sometimes annoying, sure. But that doesn't ruin the whole game.

I also have to agree about the autoaim, it works but it definitely could have been better. It targets things out of range and is slow to acquire targets sometiems, it seems. It works (definitely far better than trying to do all melee combat or something, he's absolutely right that this game is a lot more fun with a ranged attack!), but it could have been better. Oh well.

Other than that, my main complaints would be that all of the modes except for Cornell's are timed and that really annoys me, he is right that the auto-aim definitely isn't up to OoT's standard, and that while it's okay the camera could have been a little better. BHut the great graphics, good music and sound effects, great level designs, atmosphere, platforming, cool boss fights, puzzles, and more are all done well and make the game quite good overall. It's definitely not perfect, but it's good.

Oh, and I guess he's skipping Bloodlines. Huh. (If not for the fact that it's broken and no fun because of the continue limit, it would have been a great game...)

Darkmakaimura said:
I can't wait until he hits up SotN. There's nothing bad he can say about that. Strange with all the N64 Castlevania love. I remember it being panned by fans. Heck, it even got retconned from the CV continunity.
SotN is my favorite PS1 game, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there's nothing bad he can say about it. Even though I love the game it represents some dubious shifts in the franchise.

Darkmakaimura said:

The voice acting in SotN ranks among the worst ever in gaming. The backgrounds are kind of bland and the music is not as memorable as that of some of the previous Castlevanias. But other than that, yeah, not much to complain about. Unless you have a fundamental disagreement with the Metroid design philosophy.

I don't see what there is to like about the N64 CVs either. To be fair, I guess I never gave them much of a chance though.

Taurus

Belmont moonwalk made me crack up so bad! :lol :lol

James Rolfe, if you are reading this, please know that I love you. <3

Fun installment, never tried CV64 when it came out because everything i saw and read didn't look good at all. In fact i think thats the most of the game i've ever seen

Its a shame he skipped over Castlevania Bloodlines

TheCardPlayer said:

Only a few of us have voiced complaints with it. I don't hate it, far from it. I just find it overrated.

ArachosiA 78 said:
Wait, what? The soundtrack gets hated on? I can understand people complaining that it's too easy or too linear, but the soundtrack? CVIV has one of the greatest soundtracks in the history of gaming. I seriously love every single track in that game. Anyone who feels that the soundtrack in CVIV is awful is dead wrong. That's all there is to it.

There are a few really good tracks amidst a soundtrack filled with too many questionable instrument choices that just sound cheesy at times, and certain tracks that lack the intensity found in other games, coming across as either too lucid, or goofily jazzy.

_Alkaline_ said:
Castlevania IV would be in my top 10 SNES games, easily, and definitely my top 10 CV games. It's brilliant. It really felt like Castlevania brought into a new world of gaming - the advancements made from CV3 were huge, particularly the controls which went from stiff to wonderfully fluid. Not to mention all the new level design possibilities that the SNES allowed.

And yet it subtracted two major advancements from CV3: branching paths and alternate characters. And the control adjustments borked the challenge factor a bit, removing much of the challenge, and Simon still moved as slow. (See below for more.) I agree about the level design part though.

A Black Falcon said:
First -- absolutely agreed 100% with him about Super Castlevania IV. Best controls in the series, and a nearly perfect game too. Just exceptional work, it's almost certainly my favorite game in the series. At least, none of the other ones I've played can compete. Lots of levels, interesting level designs, exceptional music, that awesome 8-way whip that I badly wish they had kept in the series, and more... I just can't agree with pretty much any of the people who dislike its' complaints. Nor does the AGVN, evidently. No branching paths? With this many levels, I don't care. No other characters? Oh well, Simon is awesome here. Difficulty? Well, there is a hard mode you unlock after you beat it... and it's a moderate challenge at least. Fun the whole way through. Oh, and the fact that it actually gives you new passwords after every boss in the boss rush at the end impressed me and made me very happy, you don't have to redo it all every time you die!

The 8-way whip with flailing action, especially in combination with the smaller on screen depth of field, neutered the challenge big time, especially since few enemies necessitated it to be used skillfully, and could just be broadsided by it. And it had way too many levels for a non-branching CV game, especially one often so uneventfully easy it made your player's slow walking speed a pointless chore, which made the game overstay its welcome. CV3 and Rondo of Blood had more levels in total for greater, AND had more ideal play-through lengths at the same time. Best of both worlds. And the alternate characters in CV3 and Rondo were awesome, and were more balanced and/or fun to play with than CV4 Simon.

Red Scarlet

Cardplayer is doing just that, bluffing with some stuff. The 'hate' was largely in a thread asking if people preferred Rondo of Blood or Castlevania 4, and the 'hate' was from those that preferred Rondo.

Shit, I used to have 4 copies of CV4 (2 now) and enjoy it a lot; I just like some other games in the series more. /hate

2real4tv

Castlevania(NES), CastlevaniaIII and Super Castelvania were the greatest games ever created imo and till this day the soundtrack is ace.

Red Scarlet said:
Cardplayer is doing just that, bluffing with some stuff. The 'hate' was largely in a thread asking if people preferred Rondo of Blood or Castlevania 4, and the 'hate' was from those that preferred Rondo.

Shit, I used to have 4 copies of CV4 (2 now) and enjoy it a lot; I just like some other games in the series more. /hate

Yeah. Some people are overly defensive to the point of mistaking criticism for hate. (See also: 'patriots' labelling Bush critics 'America bashers' during the last administration.)

cartman414 said:
And yet it subtracted two major advancements from CV3: branching paths and alternate characters. And the control adjustments borked the challenge factor a bit, removing much of the challenge, and Simon still moved as slow. (See below for more.) I agree about the level design part though.

The things it removed were far less important than the things it added. Overall it was a big step forward.

The 8-way whip with flailing action, especially in combination with the smaller on screen depth of field, neutered the challenge big time, especially since few enemies necessitated it to be used skillfully, and could just be broadsided by it. And it had way too many levels for a non-branching CV game, especially one often so uneventfully easy it made your player's slow walking speed a pointless chore, which made the game overstay its welcome. CV3 and Rondo of Blood had more levels in total for greater, AND had more ideal play-through lengths at the same time. Best of both worlds. And the alternate characters in CV3 and Rondo were awesome, and were more balanced and/or fun to play with than CV4 Simon.

All I can say about the whip is basically what he said in that video, that giving a game bad controls is an absolutely unacceptable way of making it harder. Improving the controls isn't done to make a game easier, it's done to make it better. If it gets easier as a result, that's fine, the game is BETTER that way.

Seriously, after playing Super Castlevania IV, it's very, very hard to get used to the awful whip controls of the other games again... and there IS still challenge, plenty of it.

Other things like being able to jump onto stairs, jump off them, etc. must all be bad too. You can't let the player have actual control over what they're doing, that'd be far too fair! The only way I can think of to make the game harder is to make it more annoying!

... I'd call that poor game design, really.

Anyway, a lot of your complaints here could have been fixed if they'd just kept the 8-direction whip for later games in the series and worked to find ways to make the game harder while still having it, but no, all they could think of was to remove it... very sad. :(

As for the number of levels, "too many levels"? What? It's not THAT long... and since all of them are great levels, I see absolutely no problem with it. It has password save too, you don't need to play it all in one sitting or something.

Oh, you must hate Bloodlines too then. It may have two characters, but it has no branching paths, and BOTH characters have a kind of diagonal attack! Of course I think that it's completely ridiculous, because one can attack diagonally while jumping but not while standing while the other can attack diagonally while standing but not while jumping, and just want one character that can do both, like, oh, Simon in SCIV, but you probably hate it for having any diagonal attacks at all or something, if you're being consistent here...

Oh, and for Rondo, on the levels note, sure it's an awesome, awesome game, but because a bunch of the levels are alternate stages, it feels a little short compared to SCIV, in my opinion. And while you then can go back and try to find the alternate levels and beat them, that doesn't really get you anything, so it's just for completion percentage and seeing the other areas pretty much... having more of a reward for finding and beating them all would have been nice, I guess. I don't know. It feels like an attempt at varying things more than before, but I don't think they had it all down yet.

... Really that's true with each Castlevania game in the 8 and 16 bit generations, each one changes some significant things from the one before. It's just too bad that the best, or most interesting, features of some of them got dropped, like SCIV's whip, rotating Mode 7 areas (why did the second SNES game not have any of these?), etc, or Rondo's branching-paths design. I mean, I know Bloodlines has some small alternate areas, but it's on a much lesser level than Rondo. SNES Dracula X I'm not certain. Then they did SotN, which changed everything.

Anyway, for games like this I'd say that I just don't mind if something is linear as long as it's interesting along the way. Branching paths are nice to give things some variety and replay value, but if what's there is fun, I have no problem with linearity.

I actually don't mind the 2-directions-only whip as much in the NES games, on the NES I don't expect more. But on 16-bit systems, I do.

Oh yeah, and after playing as Maria, it's hard to go back to Richter... he just controls so, so much worse! And yet with Maria the game is probably a bit too easy... the double jump, four times more damage than he can do... I don't know. I ended up just mostly playing as Maria and have it be fun but easy. I should play it through sometime as Richter... but without the double jump it's so much more frustrating at times. Oh well, at least you have the choice, and sure, that's a good thing.

(On that note, Rondo with Maria is probably easier than SCIV in Normal. Both have a harder mode as well, Hard in SCIV or Richter mode in Rondo; the question is just which of those is harder. It probably is Richter mode, because of the things I mentioned above, but it is true that both games have an easier and harder mode.)

Anyway, I do like having the option of multiple characters, but it'd be nice if they hadn't made Richter artificially harder by removing the 8-direction whip, at least. Rondo's definitely a great game, one of the generation's best platformers, though. I just like SCIV even better. (And for me at least, nostalgia has nothing to do with it, I didn't play any of these as a kid. The only Castlevania game I can remember playing when I was younger was the arcade version of the NES Game (Vs. Castlevania I guess?), and I only played that once. Other than that I didn't really play the series much until 2005 or so.)

Yeah. Some people are overly defensive to the point of mistaking criticism for hate. (See also: 'patriots' labelling Bush critics 'America bashers' during the last administration.)

It definitely can be easy to do that... I've experienced that myself, for sure. Like, those Zelda Twilight Princess threads from a few years back... reading the stuff you said there it'd be very easy to forget that I actually thought the game was amazing, gameplay-wise... but my posts focused almost entirely on the parts I disliked, namely the story and plot. Somehow it's definitely easier to criticize games than praise them... good to know you don't really dislike SCIV, I guess. :)

A Black Falcon said:
The things it removed were far less important than the things it added. Overall it was a big step forward.

Not in my book.

All I can say about the whip is basically what he said in that video, that giving a game bad controls is an absolutely unacceptable way of making it harder. Improving the controls isn't done to make a game easier, it's done to make it better. If it gets easier as a result, that's fine, the game is BETTER that way.

Seriously, after playing Super Castlevania IV, it's very, very hard to get used to the awful whip controls of the other games again... and there IS still challenge, plenty of it.

Other things like being able to jump onto stairs, jump off them, etc. must all be bad too. You can't let the player have actual control over what they're doing, that'd be far too fair! The only way I can think of to make the game harder is to make it more annoying!

... I'd call that poor game design, really.

Rondo of Blood also had stair hopping, and a decent amount of midair control.

The problem with SCV4's 8-way whipping along with the flailing (not to mention the closed in depth of field) was that it borked the difficulty by letting you flank your earthbound adversaries from below, for instance. The amount of finesse and tactics required in other games was reduced.

Anyway, a lot of your complaints here could have been fixed if they'd just kept the 8-direction whip for later games in the series and worked to find ways to make the game harder while still having it, but no, all they could think of was to remove it... very sad. :(

I won't disagree. Though I feel that the 8-way whip would be a better fit for a Metroidvania as a special ability, since those games are more expansive, with more enemies that aren't bound to a single axis of movement.

As for the number of levels, "too many levels"? What? It's not THAT long... and since all of them are great levels, I see absolutely no problem with it. It has password save too, you don't need to play it all in one sitting or something.

Single sitting or not, it is much too long for a single playthrough, which is what I am referring to. And it gets kind of boring near the end because of the typically slow Belmont pace combined with the lack of challenge over that many levels.

Oh, you must hate Bloodlines too then. It may have two characters, but it has no branching paths, and BOTH characters have a kind of diagonal attack! Of course I think that it's completely ridiculous, because one can attack diagonally while jumping but not while standing while the other can attack diagonally while standing but not while jumping, and just want one character that can do both, like, oh, Simon in SCIV, but you probably hate it for having any diagonal attacks at all or something, if you're being consistent here...

You're way off base. Bloodlines may not be as high as CV3 or Rondo on my list either partly due to the lack of branching paths, but simple, limited diagonal attacks are fine.

Oh, and for Rondo, on the levels note, sure it's an awesome, awesome game, but because a bunch of the levels are alternate stages, it feels a little short compared to SCIV, in my opinion. And while you then can go back and try to find the alternate levels and beat them, that doesn't really get you anything, so it's just for completion percentage and seeing the other areas pretty much... it feels like an attempt at varying things more than before, but I don't think they had it all down yet.

I know you had this complaint regarding certain Gradius (sub-)franchise games vs. Gradius III, so let me counterpoint again: longer isn't always better. Rondo had just the right length for a single playthrough of a CV game in my book, and the alternate paths/levels added a lot of variety.

Of course, they didn't pick up from where that left off again, the next games were mostly linear again and then the one after that was SotN, which changed everything. Anyway, for games like this I'd say that I just don't mind if something is linear as long as it's interesting along the way. Branching paths are nice to give things some variety and replay value, but if what's there is fun, I have no problem with linearity.

Bloodlines was the only CV game released between Rondo and SotN, and was from a different team. SotN was from the Rondo team, and took a lot more after Super Metroid.

Oh yeah, and after playing as Maria, it's hard to go back to Richter... he just controls so, so much worse! And yet with Maria the game is probably a bit too easy... the double jump, four times more damage than he can do... I don't know. I do like having the option, but it'd be nice if they hadn't made Richter artificially harder by removing the 8-direction whip, at least. Rondo's definitely a great game, one of the generation's best platformers, though. I just like SCIV even better. (And for me at least, nostalgia has nothing to do with it, I didn't play any of these as a kid. The only Castlevania game I can remember playing when I was younger was the arcade version of the NES Game (Vs. Castlevania I guess?), and I only played that once. Other than that I didn't really play the series much until 2005 or so.)

Playing with Maria is easy, but in contrast to SCIV Simon, she's actually fun to play with, given that she has actual agility to match her moveset. And I felt that Rondo had actual legitimate difficulty with enemies that took strategy to defeat, especially the bosses.

It definitely can be easy to do that... I've experienced that myself, for sure. Like, those Zelda Twilight Princess threads from a few years back... reading the stuff you said there it'd be very easy to forget that I actually thought the game was amazing, gameplay-wise... but my posts focused almost entirely on the parts I disliked, namely the story and plot. Somehow it's definitely easier to criticize games than praise them... good to know you don't really dislike SCIV, I guess. :)

Heh. I know that feeling.

Idiotic judgment on the first N64 CastleVania.

He claims there is no music, he is too stupid to press the right C button to use the mandragora or the nitro on the wall and he is even more stupid for starting the game all over instead of just killing himself to restart the level (which would not even have been necessary if he knew how to use the items). The game doesn't have the best camera system, but the scenes from the Underground Waterway he showed were just ridiculous, that never actually happens to you in the game.

And the monsters complaints? Hell, Frankenstein is a staple of the series. And skeleton warriors on motorcycles? You're complaining about that in a game with gigantic torture towers, magically sealed walls and talking lizardmen? You've got to be kidding me. Not to mention Dracula is meant to be the devil himself, explaining the alignment with technology and all the strange devices in the Castle Center.

El_Victor

Prime Blue said:

He claims there is no music, he is too stupid to press the right C button to use the mandragora or the nitro on the wall and he is even more stupid for starting the game all over instead of just killing himself to restart the level (which would not even have been necessary if he knew how to use the items). The game doesn't have the best camera system, but the scenes from the Underground Waterway he showed were just ridiculous, that never actually happens to you in the game.

And the monsters complaints? Hell, Frankenstein is a staple of the series. And skeleton warriors on motorcycles? You're complaining about that in a game with gigantic torture towers, magically sealed walls and talking lizardmen? You've got to be kidding me. Not to mention Dracula is meant to be the devil himself, explaining the alignment with technology and all the strange devices in the Castle Center.
Post #3420 would like to have a word with you, I will even help you: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18184295&postcount=3420

maniac-kun said:
cant help it but iam seeing the goth guy from it crowd before me staring at the wall with this strange distant look :lol
but i agree i love 8-way whipping and whirling the whip around and the level design and the music is great
Ha. You'd be way off the mark. I'm a fan of the old Universal and Hammer horror films. The game captures that atmosphere perfectly making it the perfect Halloween experience.

You need to get out more if you think a goth would have good enough tastes to enjoy Castlevania IV. Fuck. That's offensive now that I think about it. I mean do you think I listen to and enjoy Depeche Mode? Ouch. I just said I enjoy the slightly Jazzy Baroque-themed soundtrack. I think that qualifies as the stuffy uptight elitist. Those who would prefer IV over Rondo or III.

Davey Cakes

theMrCravens said:
Shame he didn't talk or show much about Rondo of Blood.
He should've compared it to Dracula X even more.
Well, he's doing it from his viewpoint at the time. The guy didn't have access to a TurboGrafx-16, or a PC-Engine emulator or anything.

It makes sense to just talk about the SNES Drac X and compare it to Super Castlevania IV, since that's what most of us would have to do.

The SNES Dracula X (also known as Vampire's Kiss) isn't a bad game, but I still think it's sad that gamers back then didn't have convenient access to the original Rondo of Blood, since that game is easily in the top three classic Castlevanias, where Vampire's Kiss is just a decent SNES counterpart to SCVIV.

Compared to IV Vampire's Kiss feels antiquated. Like James said, IV pushed the series forward in every respect, especially with the controls but the SNES Dracula X was just disappointing. Not really worth playing through in my opinion.

Davey Cakes

I think it's worth a try, at least. But yeah, from my own perspective back then, I played SCVIV first and it was amazing with the controls alone, never mind the music, the general atmosphere, and the cool graphical enhancements. To this day it's a heavily nostalgic experience, but also still a really good one overall.

Then I played Vampire's Kiss and there was just a "WTF?" kind of feeling. When I realized I couldn't whip in 8 directions I was disappointed. That, and the game, while more colorful overall, felt almost cartoony and lighthearted in its presentation. Many things about it just felt "off" after playing SCVIV. And, hell, for anyone who actually bought both SCVIV and Drac X SNES at release, that's nearly a four-year gap between them!

So, yeah, using James' method of "the perspective at the time" it's obvious how hard-hitting SCVIV was in comparison to most of the games in Castlevania series, barring SotN.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
GrotesqueBeauty said:
SotN is my favorite PS1 game, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there's nothing bad he can say about it. Even though I love the game it represents some dubious shifts in the franchise.

It's far from flawless. It's got bugs and exploits, hell, it even has freeze bugs, which is pretty bad. However, it's forgivable since you have to use said exploits to trigger them and those very exploits can actually help advance the experience as well.

The controls are awesome, though, since Alucard pretty much responds to every input you make. There are hardly any moments where you feel like the game is being cheap. On the contrary, the game feels a bit too forgiving some times and overall it's very easy if you're playing as Alucard.

evilromero said:
Ha. You'd be way off the mark. I'm a fan of the old Universal and Hammer horror films. The game captures that atmosphere perfectly making it the perfect Halloween experience.

You need to get out more if you think a goth would have good enough tastes to enjoy Castlevania IV. Fuck. That's offensive now that I think about it. I mean do you think I listen to and enjoy Depeche Mode? Ouch. I just said I enjoy the slightly Jazzy Baroque-themed soundtrack. I think that qualifies as the stuffy uptight elitist. Those who would prefer IV over Rondo or III.

Hey now. Depeche Mode is awesome, and this isn't me being goth. SCV4's soundtrack as I've mentioned is spotty for various reasons as I've mentioned. And to say that it moved the franchise forward in every way is inaccurate.

Darklord

Banned
Prime Blue said:

Some people take things WAY to seriously.

eXistor

I haven't seen this part yet, but I'm glad to see James is back into his groove as of late. He had a run of some pretty...lacking reviews this year but the last 5 or so have been pretty awesome again.

Machado said:
WTF, playing C64 is like fnding $100 on the street, why the hate?
It's more like finding $100 in the dumpster/sewer and having to pick through all the garbage/faeces before you can enjoy spending it.

nincompoop said:
It's more like finding $100 in the dumpster/sewer and having to pick through all the garbage/faeces before you can enjoy spending it.

No it's more like somebody telling you there's $100 in a dumpster and when you reach the bottom you discover that there isn't a dime.

This forum is in desperate need of a thread where we play all of our favorite games from our childhood just to see if they still hold up.

Top Bottom